Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

doctorfrog posted:

If I'm not mistaken, GG games require activation, making it about the same in my mind as Impulse games, and my recent purchase from Amazon:

e: I know you were mainly talking about new releases, but DRM is DRM. It's an important distinction for some, not so much for others.

The New York Times posted:

GAME DOWNLOAD REQUIRES ACTIVATION
Mother of Five Asks, "Should I Be Concerned?"

STOCKHOLM, Sweden -- Crack reporter "doctorfrog" has published an investigative report on a web forum dedicated to computer games which concludes, after minutes of painstaking research and meta-analysis, that the games found on GamersGate, a Stockholm-based website dedicated to the digital distribution of videogames, "require activation". The full ramifications of this revelation have yet to be fully determined, but a high-ranking member of "doctorfrog"'s investigative team, who wished to remain anonymous, has started quite empathetically that "this matters. It's an important distinction".

When contacted, an independent expert noted with raised eyebrows, "so?", quietly asserting that GoodOldGames, a digital download site often known for its progressive approach to DRM, "requires a similar activation process", whereupon the user's credit card information is secured and authorized before a title is made available to the account which purchased it. The key difference, this expert said, was that GoodOldGames "made this process transparent to the end-user". The expert concluded that "really, any perceived difference is more a matter of workflow, as GamersGate includes an intermediate step, a gray area if you will, whereupon the rights to a game can be purchased without said game being locked to a given account - in this state, much like the cat of Schrödinger, the game remains in the box, free to be dissected by the purchaser or, alternatively, given away to a friend or relative". A second expert chimed in with agreement, chortling softly as he murmured in hypnotic dulcet tones, "truly, this is six of one, half a dozen of the other, with GamersGate offering a slightly more flexible system, whereupon games can be purchased on a whim and, should future life events conflict with the purhcaser's personal backlog, remain available for gifting".

At this point, the interview was interrupted by the assembled crowd outside beginning to loudly chant, "kill all faggots". It was later ascertained that this sentiment was not rooted in the experts' sexuality or lack thereof, nor even the opinions proffered, but rather a general anti-digital download expert sentiment, enlivened by America's current tumultuous political climate.

Barrack Obama, Suspected President of the United States, could not be reached for comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought The Witcher yesterday from GoG, and I'm having trouble installing it. When I try to install it, the File Integrity Check starts, and fails near the end because it can't find one of the BIN files. If I look in the folder, all of the CHUNK files are there (200 of them), so I'm hoping there might be an easy way to get it to just turn them into the BIN file without redownloading the whole 8.5GB.

I really hope that something isn't corrupted, because I don't have internet access at home at the moment, and I had to spend the afternoon in a bar with free Wi-Fi yesterday to download it and I just want to play my game. :(

Does anybody know if what I want is possible, or am I just going to have to suck it up and download the thing again?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Bardeh posted:

I bought The Witcher yesterday from GoG, and I'm having trouble installing it. When I try to install it, the File Integrity Check starts, and fails near the end because it can't find one of the BIN files. If I look in the folder, all of the CHUNK files are there (200 of them), so I'm hoping there might be an easy way to get it to just turn them into the BIN file without redownloading the whole 8.5GB.

I really hope that something isn't corrupted, because I don't have internet access at home at the moment, and I had to spend the afternoon in a bar with free Wi-Fi yesterday to download it and I just want to play my game. :(

Does anybody know if what I want is possible, or am I just going to have to suck it up and download the thing again?

It sounds like the download is corrupt (Might be down to the bar's internet connection) - so I guess you'll have to download it again. Have fun!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bellmaker posted:

I was looking to scratch a pinball itch and was wondering if any of the ones on Gog are worth my time? The Pro Pinballs seem to be rather well received, but are they really only one table each?

Yes they are, but they were the best pinball simulations available until the recent Williams collection on consoles and in some ways they're still better since you've got an incredible amount of things to tweak and settings to adjust.

My personal favorite is Big Race USA.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008

Bardeh posted:

I had the same problem. Delete one of the chunks from the .bin it can't find (should be 2, 2-1 to 2-5) then restart the installer and download. If there's any corrupt files afterwards, do the same thing but also delete the corrupt .bin.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It's only the GamersGate downloader that requires authentication, which is kind of a far cry from DRM.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 23, 2011

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Thanks for all the Arcanum tips and the link to the Arcanum thread from a few pages back!

I played my min-maxed powergaming mage for a while but just spamming Harm gets kinda boring and I feel like I'm neglecting the role-playing aspects of the game. I also accidentally killed Virgil who appears to be one of the more interesting NPC party members while messing around with the somewhat unintuitive interface.

So instead of going on with that character and worrying about stats I've been reading the (hilarious) manual and playing through the beginning with some different characters just to see what's cool flavor wise so I can enjoy the story and all the role-playing stuff.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Jagged Alliance 1.13 team has been working on the next rev of the mod for a spring release. And now, there's a garish countdown on their site.

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=11

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

The Jagged Alliance 1.13 team has been working on the next rev of the mod for a spring release. And now, there's a garish countdown on their site.

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=11

Ah! I was just wondering yesterday whether they'd done anything major lately. Guess they're about to.

Perhaps a proper, polished multiplayer framework in this next version? I'd love to see them develop more of that side of the game. A built-in framework for launching variant campaigns would be pretty sweet as well.

There's a surprising number of directions they could take the project.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Sheep posted:

It's only the GamersGate downloader that requires authentication, which is kind of a far cry from DRM.

This is true. But if GoG were going to take on major releases then they wouldn't even require that. Why settle for downloader authentication when there just shouldn't be any DRM?

Although I doubt GoG will :( Witcher 2 was just a one off thing of awesomeness, although it leaves me hoping for more.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ymgve posted:

Thankfully, the "DRM" on GG games is easy to remove. Start installer, make a copy of the setup.exe or install.exe, cancel install, copy the file back again. You've now circumvented their DRM.

Mods? Mods?!?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paper_Masochist posted:

I had the same problem. Delete one of the chunks from the .bin it can't find (should be 2, 2-1 to 2-5) then restart the installer and download. If there's any corrupt files afterwards, do the same thing but also delete the corrupt .bin.

Thanks for the tip. I got it sorted in the end by simply adding the game to the downloader again, and it had to redownload some very small file, and it's all working now.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I was playing Witcher 2 today, and I challenged an NPC to a dice game. When I beat him, he gave me a strange relic that he was carrying.

The relic gives me a 20% discount on Atari games from GOG.com.

I think that this is a fantastic alternative to achievements.

That's funny, I fought an enemy in Dragon Age and he dropped an item that, when I examined it, said "Unlock this item for use with just 300 Bioware points!"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Lurchibles posted:

This is true. But if GoG were going to take on major releases then they wouldn't even require that. Why settle for downloader authentication when there just shouldn't be any DRM?

Logging into the GOG site to press "download using _____" is literally the exact same thing, doubly so if you use the GOG downloader which also requires you to login. The fact that install files are encrypted means nothing when GG offers tacit approval of users backing up their files in ways mentioned previously in the thread. The end product is the same, and arguing otherwise is just seems kind of nitpicky.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
new release thats on sale until monday: Spellforce 2 http://www.gog.com/en/news/new_release_spellforce_2_shadow_wars

edit: correction, the first Spellforce game is 4.99 until the 31st.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

new release thats on sale until monday: Spellforce 2 http://www.gog.com/en/news/new_release_spellforce_2_shadow_wars

edit: correction, the first Spellforce game is 4.99 until the 31st.

Doesn't look like the expansion pack comes with this one. If you want it, you should just get the Gold edition from Steam, then buy the soon to be released expansion pack I'm hoping will make it as good as the first one. :(

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Lol. On that new expansion pack: On March 25, 2011, JoWooD Entertainment has announced that the game has been delayed indefinitely, the main reasons being that the game needs more polishing and testing.[2]

That's something, for JoWooD to say 'oh poo poo this is below our standards'

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Vertigus posted:

That's funny, I fought an enemy in Dragon Age and he dropped an item that, when I examined it, said "Unlock this item for use with just 300 Bioware points!"

Nice. What are Bioware points? Do you have to pay for them? Do you earn them by registering your game?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Nice. What are Bioware points? Do you have to pay for them? Do you earn them by registering your game?

It's their version of microsoft points, aka pretend money that you pay for with real money because just paying real money for something directly doesn't leave you with extra points that you paid for but aren't enough to actually buy anything.

*edit*
But is it as bad as having John Cleese shill DLC to you every time you go to the menu in Fable 3? Either way, shameful practice really. I don't mind DLC as a concept but don't break the game's setting by having characters just come out and say "Hey buy this stuff!"
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 24, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I was joking, but I probably didn't need to because there literally is an NPC that goes "If you want to unlock my quest line, buy the DLC!"

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Lol. On that new expansion pack: On March 25, 2011, JoWooD Entertainment has announced that the game has been delayed indefinitely, the main reasons being that the game needs more polishing and testing.[2]

It probably means that they couldn't compile it at all.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ParagonParadox27 posted:

JoWood is having financial troubles and there's a strong possibility of them going under so that may have something to do with it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

JoWood filed for bankruptcy so don't expect anything from them. Ever.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

al-azad posted:

JoWood filed for bankruptcy so don't expect anything from them. Ever.

Well lets hope that another good studio takes them on then. We might never see another JoWood game, but they're some really talented people and I hope they find their feet. I was really happy when Crytek took on Free Radical (GoldenEye development team who left Rare, made "Second Sight" on GoG) and turned them into the MP team for Crysis 2. Putting good dev teams in the best places :)

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
All right, Die by the Sword is making me angry. Killing stuff is basically random from what I can tell. I flick the mouse pretty hard but my guy just swings his sword really slowly. Are there any good tips to get into this game other than hours and hours and hours of practice? I can barely get past the second fight in the first stage.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Momonari kun posted:

All right, Die by the Sword is making me angry. Killing stuff is basically random from what I can tell. I flick the mouse pretty hard but my guy just swings his sword really slowly. Are there any good tips to get into this game other than hours and hours and hours of practice? I can barely get past the second fight in the first stage.

Use the numeric keypad for swings. gently caress the mouse.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lurchibles posted:

I was really happy when Crytek took on Free Radical (GoldenEye development team who left Rare, made "Second Sight" on GoG) and turned them into the MP team for Crysis 2. Putting good dev teams in the best places :)
I'd be happier if they let them make TimeSplitters HD for our modern day consoles. :(

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Blodskur posted:

I'd be happier if they let them make TimeSplitters HD for our modern day consoles. :(

One can dream :) If Crytek have any sense they'll realise that Time Splitters still has a horde of fans (including fans of the original GoldenEye) and let them do something like this. TimeSplitters in CryEngine 3? That would be awesome.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Rayman 2: The Great Escape is now on GOG for $5.99.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Blodskur posted:

Rayman 2: The Great Escape is now on GOG for $5.99.

I'll now make a very controversial statement:

Rayman 2 is the best 3D platformer ever created. Seriously. Better than Mario 64.

And the PC version is basically the definitive version so $5.99 is a frickin' steal.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm thinking of playing Baldur's Gate but I'm not sure if I should buy both of them or just the second. Any suggestions?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

gmq posted:

I'm thinking of playing Baldur's Gate but I'm not sure if I should buy both of them or just the second. Any suggestions?

Go for the second and don't look back.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

gmq posted:

The first is a weaker game and takes place in the worst levels of D&D (1-9? If even that far?) However, there are some parts in part two that you would get more out of if you had played part one, not the least of which are all the various characters that pop back up again.

I'd say get both because they're both classics, but if you only have money to spare for one, just go with the second.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
BG1 is actually a lot of fun, but there is a huge difficulty curve you have to deal with in the beginning.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
One is frustrating as hell, but it just makes the second more sweet. Plus, if you play two and think "I'd like to go back and see what happened", it will never happen once you start. Once you get past the friendly arm and start getting up to levels 2 or 3, it takes off and you can do a lot. A lot of the challenge for me comes from doing it all with almost no resources.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'll argue that the pre-teen levels of D&D are the best because you haven't been overwhelmed by cheesy spells or nigh immortal enemies that can only be defeated by exploiting their AI. In BG1 the small bonuses like chugging potions and buffing up are largely noticeable. In BG2 you start relying more on a smaller handful of abilities the higher you get.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I like lower level D&D too, and BG1 is an amazing game that people shouldn't skip just because their fancy new character got eaten by a wolf. There's a difficulty slider if you're having trouble with the game. I'm pretty sure if you turn it down you can start dropping fireballs at your feet and they won't hurt your own party.

After you earn the ability to cast fireball, of course. :colbert:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

BG 1 is unforgiving and can be annoying, especially if you're new to D&D, but I think you will appreciate 2 more if you've played through 1.

1 has a much more open world compared to 2, so there's that too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BG 1 really does start incredibly slow, but once you get into it, you'll probably find that it has a few advantages over the second game. The dungeon design, most notably - Durlag's Tower is still one of the most well-designed dungeons in any video game I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
If you're the kind of player who picks a direction then heads off into the wilderness just to explore, BG 1 is definitely the best infinity engine game to scratch that itch.