Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It's not Ghost Trick but it might be Time Hollow. I played that a while ago and it was quite good, but I hope it's not what I'm thinking of. Not sure why I am thinking a JRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

Is it new? This almost sounds like Radiant Historia.

I think so! How old is it in Japan? I didn't hear about it recently.

Yes I am pretty sure it's this. Thanks Doc!

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

scamtank posted:

I think your memory is mangling together something with Crush Crawfish's level (X3).

You are correct. I don't know why I had that background confused with the other one!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
So I know this is a crazy longshot as I remember almost nothing about the game, but back in the day my family's friend from Denmark that we hosted for a year would send me floppy disks, and then cd's, with all sorts of crazy shareware games on them. One of them took place in different garden levels, all sorts of flowers, the player might have been a robot(?), and you went through the different levels trying to stay alive. I don't even remember if I had fun with it or what, but what game it was has been bugging me for a long time. After quite a few attempts to google it a while back I gave up on ever figuring out what exactly it was.

Edit: One other one, I only remember ever playing it on my dads unix work computer, it was a 2d space shooter where you flew around and shot missiles out. Was pretty basic but it was really fun. You had to shoot at the corner/connections of these structures in space to destroy them, and they shot back at you.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 26, 2011

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

So I know this is a crazy longshot as I remember almost nothing about the game, but back in the day my family's friend from Denmark that we hosted for a year would send me floppy disks, and then cd's, with all sorts of crazy shareware games on them. One of them took place in different garden levels, all sorts of flowers, the player might have been a robot(?), and you went through the different levels trying to stay alive. I don't even remember if I had fun with it or what, but what game it was has been bugging me for a long time. After quite a few attempts to google it a while back I gave up on ever figuring out what exactly it was.

As long as we're in longshot territory, I may as well hazard a guess that this is Zool or Zool 2.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

I remember playing something like this on one of those shareware CDs. I think it was called Bots or B.O.T.S. or something like that, but I'm not finding anything on Google. The disc was called "Galaxy of Games 3", if that helps.

I don't remember it being very good.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Hmm, neither of those. It was top-down not side scrolling. IIRC everything was shaped in a square-blocky type way, made it easier to form the mazes I guess.

ol moon in the sky
Aug 3, 2007
This is a long shot but it's killing me that I can't think of this. This was a really really old kind of weird PC game where you started out on this sort of flying ship. I remember looking out and seeing clouds flying by, etc. It was a first person game and when I played it when I was like 8 or 9 I couldn't even figure out how to do anything and gave up in frustration. It started with an 'I' I think, like 'Imagination _____' or 'Illusion _______' and I think it had the word 'man' in the title. Also get the feeling the word 'wander' might have been in it. Anyway, thanks to anyone who has any guesses.

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Edit: One other one, I only remember ever playing it on my dads unix work computer, it was a 2d space shooter where you flew around and shot missiles out. Was pretty basic but it was really fun. You had to shoot at the corner/connections of these structures in space to destroy them, and they shot back at you.

Probably way off but, Greebles and Bosconian?

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

ol moon in the sky posted:

This is a long shot but it's killing me that I can't think of this. This was a really really old kind of weird PC game where you started out on this sort of flying ship. I remember looking out and seeing clouds flying by, etc. It was a first person game and when I played it when I was like 8 or 9 I couldn't even figure out how to do anything and gave up in frustration. It started with an 'I' I think, like 'Imagination _____' or 'Illusion _______' and I think it had the word 'man' in the title. Also get the feeling the word 'wander' might have been in it. Anyway, thanks to anyone who has any guesses.

Could well be one of The Journeyman Project games, which I got identified for me earlier in the thread. 'Journey' is not dissimilar to 'wander', it's in a first person perspective, and I think in the original you might start out on an alien ship.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
I've been looking for this game for years, but never had any luck.

It's a dos based game I had a demo of years and years ago. It's a side-scrolling platformer where you play a muscular barbarian style guy with a big sword. The key feature I remember was that at the start of the level you could choose to start going left or right.

I only had the demo, but the 1 level I played had a winter theme with no raised platforms - just ice covered ponds you had to jump and monsters you had to fight.

The graphics were great for the time... but I don't remember anything else :(

can anyone help?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Jombo posted:

I've been looking for this game for years, but never had any luck.

It's a dos based game I had a demo of years and years ago. It's a side-scrolling platformer where you play a muscular barbarian style guy with a big sword. The key feature I remember was that at the start of the level you could choose to start going left or right.

I only had the demo, but the 1 level I played had a winter theme with no raised platforms - just ice covered ponds you had to jump and monsters you had to fight.

The graphics were great for the time... but I don't remember anything else :(

can anyone help?

The only things Abandonia turns up that are even close are Gods and Stormlord. Can you recall what year it was? It could narrow things down.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
It was late 80's early 90's - around the same time as gods (which was another awesome game). I had the demo off those 3.5" disks from one of those PC Format style magazines.

From my recollections the game was poorly distributed and I get the feeling the only way someone will know it is if they've played it themselves.

Jombo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 26, 2011

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm looking for an online game, a 2d space shooter where you could build your ship out of ships you destroy. I think it had 'Captain' in the title.

Like, you could destroy a ship, then drag the bits to attach them to your ship, and there were guns, armor, and boosters.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Morpheus posted:

I'm looking for an online game, a 2d space shooter where you could build your ship out of ships you destroy. I think it had 'Captain' in the title.

Like, you could destroy a ship, then drag the bits to attach them to your ship, and there were guns, armor, and boosters.
Think that's Captain Forever.

Smug Amoeba
Jan 8, 2010

Single-celled and self-satisfied
A platformer on the original Playstation. You played as a kid who lost his dog and had to look for him on this hosed up alien planet covered in shadow gargoyle things that died if you lured them into sunshine. I remember it scaring the poo poo out of me at the beginning when you lose your gun and have to make like Abe and run from everything until you got fireball powers from a friendly alien.

I also remember a demo I played where you were a diver with one of those rudder things that pull you along, except this one had nets and machine guns. The demo ended when you fight a massive Eel to get into a shipwreck. This game was also on the Playstation.

Anyone know either of these?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Smug Amoeba posted:

A platformer on the original Playstation. You played as a kid who lost his dog and had to look for him on this hosed up alien planet covered in shadow gargoyle things that died if you lured them into sunshine. I remember it scaring the poo poo out of me at the beginning when you lose your gun and have to make like Abe and run from everything until you got fireball powers from a friendly alien.

Heart of Darkness. That game had some twisted death animations.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
I had a demo disc for the PS One and my brother and I used to play one particular game on it all the time.

It was set in an arena and you had to choose your character and then fight. Each character had different moves. The only two I remember are one who had loads of saw blades, could set little saw blade traps and protect himself with saw blades, and another character that was a lizard thing and could make little baby lizard things and have them fight as well. It wasn't a fighter such as Tekken, it was top down, and the closest thing I can think of it being like would be League of Legends or Heroes of Newerth nowadays.

Any ideas?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Smug Amoeba posted:

Heart of Darkness

Edit: GRRRF I'm terrible

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

dmccaff posted:

I had a demo disc for the PS One and my brother and I used to play one particular game on it all the time.

It was set in an arena and you had to choose your character and then fight. Each character had different moves. The only two I remember are one who had loads of saw blades, could set little saw blade traps and protect himself with saw blades, and another character that was a lizard thing and could make little baby lizard things and have them fight as well. It wasn't a fighter such as Tekken, it was top down, and the closest thing I can think of it being like would be League of Legends or Heroes of Newerth nowadays.

Any ideas?

Probably The Unholy War.

Top Hat
Nov 26, 2006
Hear me roar!
For years I've been trying to remember the name of a 2D side-scrolling flight game from the 90's for PC. From what I remember you could choose from a large range of planes or helicopters and there would be varying missions where you had to blow up some base or rescue people or put out a fire maybe. It's similar to Wings of Fury or Flying Ace but as for more specifics I can't remember.

Any help would be amazing based on these sketchy details. I just remember the game being amazing. Oh and you controlled the planes just using the arrow keys and the space bar I think (I could be wrong).

edit: Just remembered that you always start on a runway, there were a few different designs for them aswell.

Top Hat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 26, 2011

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Top Hat posted:

For years I've been trying to remember the name of a 2D side-scrolling flight game from the 90's for PC. From what I remember you could choose from a large range of planes or helicopters and there would be varying missions where you had to blow up some base or rescue people or put out a fire maybe. It's similar to Wings of Fury or Flying Ace but as for more specifics I can't remember.

Any help would be amazing based on these sketchy details. I just remember the game being amazing. Oh and you controlled the planes just using the arrow keys and the space bar I think (I could be wrong).

edit: Just remembered that you always start on a runway, there were a few different designs for them aswell.
Jetstrike?

Top Hat
Nov 26, 2006
Hear me roar!

MMAgCh posted:

Jetstrike?

That's actually it! Amazing, thank you!

wuLFe
Oct 21, 2010
I didn't even know this thread existed, but for the past several years, there have been two games that I've been frantically attempting to revisit, but I've been unable to find any info on them - any help would be awesome:

a) Arcade game (from the early-mid 90s): All I remember about this one was that you played a guy (I think dressed in red) who had a ring on his costume - the graphics were very cartoony, but I remember something about a professor, and all these ooze creatures that you had to take out by shooting (rings?) at them. Basically a 2d platformer, with, if memory serves, pretty good graphics for those days.

b) NES game : I once rented a game from a local stored, which was a puzzle game, although it had a 2d platformer perspective, and it involved boxes, and stacking boxes to be able to reach a goal - memory is VERY hazy on this one unfortunately :(

Any ideas?

ol moon in the sky
Aug 3, 2007

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Could well be one of The Journeyman Project games, which I got identified for me earlier in the thread. 'Journey' is not dissimilar to 'wander', it's in a first person perspective, and I think in the original you might start out on an alien ship.

You're absolutely right, thank you so much, don't know how I got Imagination from that but for some reason I was sure it had that in it, oh well, thanks again

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh yeah I remember another title, back from the mid-90s, on PC.

It was a sidescroller adventure title. I seem to remember your character being a native american in the wilderness, with a lot of snow around you. I think at one point you needed to get by a wolf to proceed to the next screen. Not very combat heavy, I don't think, but I only remember watching my friend play it on his computer.

Graphics were quite nice, or at least I thought so at the time. Good detail.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

Probably way off but, Greebles and Bosconian?

Bosconian is the closest thing I've ever encountered, it might be it and my brain might just be making poo poo up. Thanks a ton!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

wuLFe posted:

a) Arcade game (from the early-mid 90s): All I remember about this one was that you played a guy (I think dressed in red) who had a ring on his costume - the graphics were very cartoony, but I remember something about a professor, and all these ooze creatures that you had to take out by shooting (rings?) at them. Basically a 2d platformer, with, if memory serves, pretty good graphics for those days.

Any ideas?

Zool, perhaps?

Smug Amoeba
Jan 8, 2010

Single-celled and self-satisfied

Morpheus posted:

Heart of Darkness. That game had some twisted death animations.

On the money! Thanks man, now to give amazon my two quid and get nostalgic. Those animations are one of the things that got the game stuck in my mind.

Dstrukt
Jan 3, 2010

The owls are not what they seem.
For about 15 years my two friends and I have been trying to figure out this particular game that we played once at our old baby sitters house. We have practically given up all hope thinking it's been too long and our memories have distorted it too much.

The game had to have been for the Sega Genesis since it was the only system any of us owned. It was an RPG with turn-based combat. You started in some kind of town and it was a side-scroller. The only thing we remember was a guy blocking a stone well, saying we couldn't enter for some reason. Then we recall there being some kind of dungeon (whether this was down the well or not we are unsure) but the game turned top-down and you fought skeletons.

We have looked at so many different RPGs for the Sega Genesis trying to find this and can't find anything that we recognize. I'm starting to think we just imagined it. :(

Crucify
Oct 22, 2008
Trying to remember the name of a PS1/PS2 game. I believe it was monster rancher. However I'm not 100% sure.

Basically. You were in a city, you had a tower you would go into, you would fight with a monster, level up your monster, goto the next floor, monsters would be harder, etc.

I remember that you could come out and buy "upgrades" for the city. Like the further you went in the tower, the nicer you could make the town. I'm having a hell of a time remember much past that though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Crucify posted:

Trying to remember the name of a PS1/PS2 game. I believe it was monster rancher. However I'm not 100% sure.

Basically. You were in a city, you had a tower you would go into, you would fight with a monster, level up your monster, goto the next floor, monsters would be harder, etc.

I remember that you could come out and buy "upgrades" for the city. Like the further you went in the tower, the nicer you could make the town. I'm having a hell of a time remember much past that though.

That's Azure Dreams

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Jombo posted:

Barbarian 2, maybe? Kind of a platformer, but not really. Had the muscles, sword, jumping over water, choosing directions, and monsters to fight though.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Probably The Unholy War.

That's exactly it. Thank you!

Hyosho
May 9, 2006
Text adventure with static graphics, amiga-era, you play a guy who falls asleep and enters a dream world where you er... look, you have to use a toothbrush as a key and at the end you shoot satan with a water pistol.

Oh and there was a big set piece in the middle where you had to trudge around a giant office building getting form A4-BX9 from officer A4-C30 to give to officer B2-C16 so that he'd give you form... well, you get the idea.

Hyosho fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 27, 2011

Crucify
Oct 22, 2008

Mehuyael posted:

That's Azure Dreams

Perfect! Thank you! I dont know why I thought monster rancher...

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
This one is pretty obscure I'm sure, but it's been bothering me for a while. It was played on an Amstrad PC-1512 (so it's likely a really old DOS game); you took the role of a robotic drone, and from a top-down perspective you had to push drums of coolant into chutes to prevent an overload of some sort.

I guess it was sort of a sokoban-style puzzle game, though I can't recall much else aside from the fact that you could choose from one or two different robots and I think there was one that looked vaguely "dog-house" shaped. I was extremely young, so I apologise for the vague descriptions.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

Gromit posted:

Barbarian 2, maybe? Kind of a platformer, but not really. Had the muscles, sword, jumping over water, choosing directions, and monsters to fight though.

Thanks heaps for that.

God drat that is close to my memory of the game (it was 20 odd years ago with lots of hallucinogens used in between) - but the combat is identical, with a few different moves, and difficult opponents who required different approaches - even down to the way he sticks his legs out in front when making a jump, and his spinning super attack.

But in the game I played I specifically remember the weapon being a sword, and the graphics being 8 bit. After reading the wikipedia entry for Barbarian II it seems Barbarian III was in development for some time before being canned after an acquisition - It must have been a preview version I am recalling playing then, which never ended up getting released :(

On the bright side it seems there's a community remake of the original barbarian: http://www.brothersoft.com/games/barbarian.html

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

wuLFe posted:

b) NES game : I once rented a game from a local stored, which was a puzzle game, although it had a 2d platformer perspective, and it involved boxes, and stacking boxes to be able to reach a goal - memory is VERY hazy on this one unfortunately :(

Guesses for A:
Rygar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfONNlhYYOw (for the red and the "rings")
Black Tiger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf0W0GpGgkI (for fighting ooze and the professor-y hostages you rescue)

Guesses for B:
Fire n Ice? http://nesguide.com/games/fireandice/
maybe a mis-remembered Boulder Dash? http://nesguide.com/games/boulderdash/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Hyosho posted:

Text adventure with static graphics, amiga-era, you play a guy who falls asleep and enters a dream world where you er... look, you have to use a toothbrush as a key and at the end you shoot satan with a water pistol.

Oh and there was a big set piece in the middle where you had to trudge around a giant office building getting form A4-BX9 from officer A4-C30 to give to officer B2-C16 so that he'd give you form... well, you get the idea.

Is it Dream Zone?