Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK
I know this isn't directly related to knitting, but I was hoping someone would have a superior knowledge of fabrics than I.

I'm after this fabric here:

Here's my crappy iPhone photo:

I purchased what I thought was something similar (a linen / cotton blend) but it's not creating the desired affect photographically. I suspect because the individual threads are smaller in the fabric I purchased.

Or maybe it's that the fabric in these images looks like it has some kind of strange pattern through it.

Is anyone able to identify specifically what this could be? :3:

I should have cut out a sample and saved myself a lot of time :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I'm assuming you are talking about the filter--I would guess some sort of black gauze or veil/tulle. Honestly, it reminds me most of very very thin homemade paper held up to light.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Already Bored posted:

I know this isn't directly related to knitting, but I was hoping someone would have a superior knowledge of fabrics than I.

was it kinda itchy and scratchy and smell like straw or rope?

if so, burlap or sackcloth

if not, look at embroidery cloth?

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004

FelicityGS posted:

I'm assuming you are talking about the filter--I would guess some sort of black gauze or veil/tulle. Honestly, it reminds me most of very very thin homemade paper held up to light.

There's a filter? :v:

Amykinz posted:

was it kinda itchy and scratchy and smell like straw or rope?

if so, burlap or sackcloth

if not, look at embroidery cloth?

I didn't actually touch it, but I'll look into burlap / sackcloth. Thank you.

Edit: Thinking about it, it didn't appear as though it was burlap. When I think of burlap I think of a burlap sack and it wasn't nearly as thick as that. It was much, much thinner and the fabric was white. The iPhone photo shows differently because of the colour temperature of the fluorescent light from the ceiling.

Already Bored fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 22, 2011

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
How thin was it? Really thin? Call me crazy, but if it's white I see dense cheesecloth:

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004

HeatherChandler posted:

How thin was it? Really thin? Call me crazy, but if it's white I see dense cheesecloth:

I've finally figured out that I think it's scrim. Often used in stills and film production! It's opaque when front lit but transparent when back lit which would also explain the differing transparency between the camera photos and the iPhone photo :)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Got my Knitpicks order! Around the World in Knitted Socks makes me want to quit my job and just knit socks all day.

I also made a hat after decided the yarn I had used to make a cowl really didn't suit the pattern.

And finally completed one sock for my boyfriend having found a pattern and fit that both he and I like.

Drei fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 24, 2011

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Things I have found out about knits with two different yarns - if you unravel the knits and then try to separate the yarns, they will get in such a tangle you might be forced to throw the whole stupid thing away (or at least, one of the balls). Clearly, the time to separate the two is when the object is first being unravelled. I don't think I'm going to get that ladder yarn off that greige plain yarn now. Oh well, perhaps another cushion cover?

Also (speaking of cushion covers), I have discovered that four skeins of Wendy Pure Bamboo Tape will only make one side of a cushion cover. It's rather a big cushion, to be fair, but one ball gives something in the region of 350 stitches on 5mm needles. You don't get much for your money. It's also quite heavy, which is probably why 200g (four 50g skeins) doesn't go so far. And tape yarns are a bit funny to knit with, they go all twisty. That's what I've learnt about knitting since the last post I made.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I finished a few things.

I hate how these mittens turned out. On the left mitt you can tell where I inserted the flip top and the flip top is a bit wonky.

The colour change was forced as I ran out of yarn and the company didn't have any left. But Colourmart kindly sent me the dark navy for free(!) so I could finish this.

And a Moebius cowl.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Sodium Chloride posted:

I finished a few things.

The colour change was forced as I ran out of yarn and the company didn't have any left. But Colourmart kindly sent me the dark navy for free(!) so I could finish this.

I actually really like the effect of the different colour, it makes a nice edging.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Sodium Chloride posted:

I finished a few things.

I hate how these mittens turned out. On the left mitt you can tell where I inserted the flip top and the flip top is a bit wonky.

And a Moebius cowl.

I like your mitts! That's the snapdragon pattern, right? It's on my stupidly long list.

What pattern is that mobius? I've never seen one like it, it's really pretty.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah that is the snapdragon mitts. The moebius cowl pattern is here.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Sodium Chloride posted:

Yeah that is the snapdragon mitts. The moebius cowl pattern is here.

Thanks!

Man, Cat Bordhi is kind of a bitch sometimes. "here's a free pattern but to get the cast on directions you have to buy my book". I actually have that book (well, I have the second one) so it's no problem but man.

She did the same thing with one of her sock patterns - she had a sock pattern on Knitty that was from her second New Pathways series, and she basically said "ok follow the directions in the book and when you get to the leg do this". Or you could just make up your own toe-up sock pattern.

I definitely think she's very creative and everything, I have several of her books, but come on.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I did a moebius cowl that said to use Cat Bordhi's cast on and pointed to a video. Let me see if I can find it...

E: Here's the moebius pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bulky-mobius-cowl , and here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVnTda7F2V4

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Gorgeous patterns! Love the Moebius cowl. I'm way into cowls these days. :)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Sodium Chloride posted:

I finished a few things.

And a Moebius cowl.

I am late to the party. I love those mitts and the shawl--I love colour changes at the edge of shawls so much. I even like the cowl, and I usually don't care for them at all. Lovely stuff.

I am so close to done with my current project:

All that stands between me and the end is 36" of i-cord and a 3 needle bindoff for the front two pieces. (The seaming is something I enjoy and will take no time at all)

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Heads up Ravelry users: They had a security breach, and while they were only able to nab passwords that were encrypted, it can't hurt to go change your password anyway since they're requiring it. More info here: http://www.ravelry.com/?showletter=1

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

zamiel posted:

Heads up Ravelry users: They had a security breach, and while they were only able to nab passwords that were encrypted, it can't hurt to go change your password anyway since they're requiring it. More info here: http://www.ravelry.com/?showletter=1

Quoting in case anyone didn't see it.

Finished a pair of socks today, lots of pretty pictures. They're from Knitted Socks Around the World, in Paton's awesome sock yarn. They don't fit me quite right, but they aren't for me--they're for a friend of mine who I promised a pair of socks to years ago.

I'm really pleased with these. I also really like how van der Linden does short row heels, they're super neat (ignore my hole on the first heel, I didn't quite get the instructions until I was nearly done with the heel). The pattern is engaging enough I didn't get bored, but not so hard I felt like I had to constantly look at the pattern; it's really just recognizing patterns and repeating them.

Edit to fix wonky image sizes

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
There's a great sale going on on interweave right now if anyone's interested!

http://www.interweavestore.com/Hurt-Books-and-Overstock-Sale.html?SessionThemeID=29&a=ml110618A

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
Hello.

Is there a device that lets you stretch out the fibers on a bolt or swatch of woven fabric?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Already Bored posted:

Hello.

Is there a device that lets you stretch out the fibers on a bolt or swatch of woven fabric?
This isn't a "general cloth questions" thread -- it's about knitting (which is totally unrelated to weaving). Try the DIY thread about sewing; they might be able to help more about fabric of all kinds. You can also try googling something like "how to stretch" woven fabric.

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

OK, so Googling and Ravelry didn't work so I'm probably out of luck... but has anyone here ever seen a pattern for a kid-size sarape/poncho that looks like the one worn by Clint Eastwood in Fistful of Dollars? Or failing that, maybe a pattern that I could try to adapt to have the same pattern?

I'm even willing to learn crochet to make one!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
New Knitty is up.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Drei posted:

sorry it's old but what sock pattern is that? I've been looking for something exactly like that so hopefully it's not in some book the library can't find!

As for the knitty, I wasn't terribly impressed this round :(

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
You're in luck, they're the Globe Trotter Socks and it is free.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I love the look of the Double Helix socks in the latest Knitty but drat it if I can't get my head around the pattern instructions. :psyduck:

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
I actually liked more of the Knitty patterns than usual, although I often find that the blouse/sweater/cardigan patterns don't seem very flattering...

But the socks usually get me drooling a bit.

I'm very excited, because I finally got a pattern up for sale in my shop:

Tuxedo Gloves!

They're super cute, especially with vintage buttons :)
I've also got them posted over on Ravelry

Anyways, I know this isn't the etsy thread so i'm trying not to be advertisey, but I do have a Goon coupon right now. (It's YARNGOONS for 20% off)

ETA: And yes our Postal Service is still on strike but PDF's are shipped via a series of tubes!

Scooty Puff Jr. fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 25, 2011

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I really like that Rhodion shawl in the new Knitty, but, yeah, no, I'm not going to knit that.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
At least nothing looks like a vagina this time

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I like the idea of Dragon Wings, but those don't look like dragon wings at all! It looks like someone horribly misread their shawl pattern and stuck with it anyway.

Pretty Twisted looks good. I'm not a fan of armbands, but I might modify it into a choker.

I think this cowl is the only one I would like enough to knit as is, and even then only if I stumbled upon the perfect yarn for it.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Wandering Knitter posted:

I like the idea of Dragon Wings, but those don't look like dragon wings at all! It looks like someone horribly misread their shawl pattern and stuck with it anyway.

They do look like dragon wings, but ones that were hacked off and sewn together from the outside edge. If you cut the shawl in half, flipped the pieces vertically and sewed them back together, it would look more like wings.

I really like the spiral heel socks.

Speaking of socks...

My grandad has been ill with bowel cancer and recently had a related operation. I figured he needed some socks to cheer him up, so I made these from Debbie Bliss Cashmerino dk in colour 18032 (it's actually a redder, more berry shade of purple than my brother's camera phone lets on). Today I took a 2 hour train journey to hand them over, hang out for 6 hours and come back. Both my grandparents couldn't stop stroking them and my grandad kept saying how thick they were and how warm his toes were going to be :3:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

They do look like dragon wings, but ones that were hacked off and sewn together from the outside edge. If you cut the shawl in half, flipped the pieces vertically and sewed them back together, it would look more like wings.

I really like the spiral heel socks.

Speaking of socks...

My grandad has been ill with bowel cancer and recently had a related operation. I figured he needed some socks to cheer him up, so I made these from Debbie Bliss Cashmerino dk in colour 18032 (it's actually a redder, more berry shade of purple than my brother's camera phone lets on). Today I took a 2 hour train journey to hand them over, hang out for 6 hours and come back. Both my grandparents couldn't stop stroking them and my grandad kept saying how thick they were and how warm his toes were going to be :3:

Those look really awesome--I love the pattern on them. I'm so glad that he liked them :3:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

FelicityGS posted:

Those look really awesome--I love the pattern on them. I'm so glad that he liked them :3:

One of them is about 2cm longer than the other though! I think my gauge changed on the second sock. Unfortunately there was no time to block them, I was still knitting the second sock on the train up.

The book I got them from was dirt cheap too. It has it's flaws, but it was well worth getting.

Unfortunately it's out of stock on Amazon but you can read my review there.

I have knitting withdrawal at the moment, with nothing to knit and no needles here (in the process of moving out). Probably a good thing seeing as it was 31 degrees here today.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I was in the same knitting rut too, but then I found this bag pattern.

Going to make an awesome summer bag out of some cream and lavender cotton :cool:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
/\/\/\ Oh poo poo that's awesome! I want one too!

madlilnerd posted:

I have knitting withdrawal at the moment, with nothing to knit and no needles here (in the process of moving out). Probably a good thing seeing as it was 31 degrees here today.

You should come to my house and knit up some of the 19,034 projects I have half done and don't feel like working on for some reason.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

/\/\/\ Oh poo poo that's awesome! I want one too!

Isn't it? I already mailed my old knitting teacher a copy of the pattern, since it's perfect for people just starting to learn. Here's the raverly link.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

You should come to my house and knit up some of the 19,034 projects I have half done and don't feel like working on for some reason.

Wanna host me over the summer? It's either this or live at my parents and work at the antenatal clinic again :smithicide:

It's not that I don't have anything I'd like to knit, or even any yarn. It's just all my needles have migrated to my parent's house pre-moving and I can't really justify buying any more. All I've got here with me is a 2mm crochet hook

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

How is it possible that I have been knitting for 20 years and have successfully dodged a provisional cast on until now?

Not that it was difficult, mind you, but I was just shocked when I realized that I'd never actually DONE it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

Wanna host me over the summer? It's either this or live at my parents and work at the antenatal clinic again :smithicide:

It's not that I don't have anything I'd like to knit, or even any yarn. It's just all my needles have migrated to my parent's house pre-moving and I can't really justify buying any more. All I've got here with me is a 2mm crochet hook

Sure! As long as you don't mind moving to Boston and also jerky little dogs that get their hair all over your yarn and every other thing you own and also I'm kind of a slob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I'm allergic to doggies, boo :(