Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm usually very critical of Mythbusters, so let me go the other way for once and say that Adam's aimable mounted machine gun was beyond cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm usually very critical of Mythbusters, so let me go the other way for once and say that Adam's aimable mounted machine gun was beyond cool.

Seriously. Who wouldn't want one on their own car!?*

* I want mine in the GAU-8 variety. DRIVE SLOW IN FRONT OF ME WILL YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Asmodai_00 posted:

For fucks sake.

"COMING UP ON MYTHBUSTERS, WILL THE BUILD TEAM FINALLY SPIN OUT"
*cut to reaction*

"It's spinning!"

That was just ridiculous.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'd like to see them forget the "myths" for one episode and just build outlandish vehicle mounted paintball weapons for the ultimate paintball demolition derby.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Did you ever see the clip they did for NVIDIA where they strapped, like a thousand paint gun barrels together to recreate the Mona Lisa in paint in a fraction of a second?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKK933KK6Gg

Truly they are masters in the medium of paintballs.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Universe Master posted:

I'd like to see them forget the "myths" for one episode and just build outlandish vehicle mounted paintball weapons for the ultimate paintball demolition derby.

Discovery (or maybe TNT?) had a whole show dedicated to this concept, except real guns and real demolition derbies. Like battlebots with cars, or Twisted Metal. Surprisingly, it sucked huge balls and they cancelled it immediately. That was one of the biggest failures in terms of awesome-expectation-to-utter-disappointment ratios.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Professor Awesome posted:

Manufacturing silencers without a class 2 SOT or possessing them without a tax stamp is also a huge, huge federal felony with mandatory sentencing- even if it's just a soda bottle

They've mentioned a bunch of myths they couldn't do because of who their sponsors are (teeth whiting strips and how they don't work at all won't get aired due to Crest) and how graphic the myth was (the cardboard vs cereal caloric content myth ended up with the rats they were testing it on eating each other when they had the cardboard).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did they get into trouble over the myths about beating speed cameras?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

BigHead posted:

Discovery (or maybe TNT?) had a whole show dedicated to this concept, except real guns and real demolition derbies. Like battlebots with cars, or Twisted Metal. Surprisingly, it sucked huge balls and they cancelled it immediately. That was one of the biggest failures in terms of awesome-expectation-to-utter-disappointment ratios.
There have been multiple shows with that premise. In fact Grant was on one of them and built a giant scrap R2D2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

haveblue posted:

Did they get into trouble over the myths about beating speed cameras?

I don't think so because whenever they do a "beat such and such law enforcement technique" it never works.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

muscles like this? posted:

I don't think so because whenever they do a "beat such and such law enforcement technique" it never works.

Yes, working closely with police departments they always manage to test the specific things that have no chance of success what-so-ever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

Unless you own a rocket car.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

haveblue posted:

Unless you own a rocket car.

Yeah, and you could probably use one of those front-mounted paintball guns to block a stoplight camera while you run a red light.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Asmodai_00 posted:

For fucks sake.

"COMING UP ON MYTHBUSTERS, WILL THE BUILD TEAM FINALLY SPIN OUT"
*cut to reaction*

"It's spinning!"

I've been catching up on older episodes I never got around to seeing and they love that. They also like to reference past myths if they're related to the current one. It sucks if you're trying to watch the episodes out of order.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There was no new Mythbusters last night, correct? My DVR recording nothing.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That is correct. Next week for new busting of myths.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Animal Planet chat: Anybody checking out the premiere episode of "Finding Bigfoot"?

Two minutes in, and aside from the premise, it's already shaping up to be hilarious. It apparently takes place in northern Georgia (pretty sure Bigfoot is a Pacific Northwest thing) and it's led by a guy named Matt Moneymaker.

edit: "Based on our analysis the figure in the video has legs the same length as a human's, so that proves even more that it's a Sasquatch because that means it's taller than a human because Sasquatches have different body proportions because we said so" :what:

Hazo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 31, 2011

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Isn't that closer to Skunk Ape territory? But yeah, there are bigfoot sightings way far east too. It's just that most are from the Northwest.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

They're constantly referring to it as "Bigfoot" and "Sasquatch" instead of "Skunk Ape," so I don't know.

What kills me is the clinical matter-of-fact way they talk:

"Sasquatches have proportionally much longer arms than humans."

"This woman's story seems legitimate because stopping mid-stride and staring at an approaching car is a very common aspect of known Bigfoot behavior."

"These footprints check out because you can clearly see they were made by something with a flat foot. Bigfoots don't have an arch like we do."

"Oh, you say it had a gray face? Then you obviously didn't see a Bigfoot. REAL Sasquatches have a gray forehead and a black nose. Get that crazy poo poo outta here you dumb redneck :rolleyes:"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hahahaah, it sounds like a weird mix of that UFO Hunter show and Ghost Adventures, but about bigfeets instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This episode isn't too bad so far (although the build team myth is a little similar to the first season one about the hammer and water.)

The sniper making that shot perfectly through the center of the apple without knocking it down was cool.

But that Pizza Hut commercial with them was loving stupid though.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
The best Bigfoot show comment was in a commercial for the show when the one dude said "There's a squatch in these woods." without a cracking a smile. I now call a coworker squatch so let's hope he doesn't find out about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgaoUbIc9Gg

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

BigHead posted:

It could have been cool if they didn't make it a turn based game where each vehicle only gets one shot per turn.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

BigHead posted:

I actually remember that. It was Full Metal Challenge on TLC, and had motherfucking Henry Rollins hosting it (along with the blond lady from Junkyard Wars/Scrapheap Challenge).

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I was watching the new episode of Dual Survival the other day, and in the preview for the next episode it looks like they are in the desert. The hippie guy was pissing on his bandana so he could put it on his head to cool it down, and then he asked if the military guy wanted him to piss on his too. :aaa:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Why is there zero evidence for the existence of Bigfoot?

Because they don't want to be found. :c00lbert: So sayeth the Bigfoot expert.

edit: Show is amazing.

Fat guy: "We've got something on our thermal camera, we're waiting for it to walk so we can tell what it is."

*shot of a tall motionless figure in a field*

Fat guy: "There it goes."

*cut back to shot of field, figure is gone*

*show ends*

Hazo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 6, 2011

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

OK, so wtf is with these guys? They find all sorts of evidence, see something on thermal, hear a call, etc at the house in the Florida panhandle...and gently caress off to the Everglades instead of investigating another night or two? And then at the end, they never show the image on thermal move, after teasing it for 2 commercial breaks? Obviously it was Joe the key grip taking a dump on a log and they were too embarrassed to show it (or too short on footage to pad the episode).

Finding Bigfoot is the biggest title lie in recent memory. It should be called 'Filling Matt Moneymaker's wallet'. Not a surprise for anyone who has followed his activities in the past, but still very disappointing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'd never heard of the dude until this show, and he seems sleazy as gently caress. What are his "past activities"?

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

He founded and runs the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO), which used to be in the business of gathering reports and information about Bigfoot, but has turned into some kind of expedition travel agent now. They organize several trips a year and charge people a hefty fee to go out with 'experts' and not find Bigfoot.

Website- http://www.bfro.net/

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I was watching the new episode of Dual Survival the other day, and in the preview for the next episode it looks like they are in the desert. The hippie guy was pissing on his bandana so he could put it on his head to cool it down, and then he asked if the military guy wanted him to piss on his too. :aaa:

I loving love Dual Survival for the same reason I love Man Woman Wild. I'm so happy MWW is getting a second season.

I love the episode where hes back at camp cleaning, his wife starts screaming his name, and he takes off with a machete and barrels towards her, only to find shes stuck in mud.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I enjoy Dual Survival as well. I have to give Dave props for the gun powder cauterization thing a few episodes back. Must have hurt like hell.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I loving love Dual Survival for the same reason I love Man Woman Wild. I'm so happy MWW is getting a second season.

I love the episode where hes back at camp cleaning, his wife starts screaming his name, and he takes off with a machete and barrels towards her, only to find shes stuck in mud.

Love both those shows, too. Where the hell has MWW been?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I don't know. Wikipedia says its getting a second season and I'm just going to blindly believe it.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Second season of MWW? :iia: I'm also looking forward to the Salt Flats episode of Dual Survival.

After a decade of survival show network saturation (and my parents owning at least a dozen books along that vein), I am now watching this poo poo for FRIENDSHIP and MARRIAGES first, instructive scenarios second.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
According to the MWW Facebook fan page it's still coming back but they haven't set a premiere date yet.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This Dual Survival show is pretty good! I like the fact that you have two completely different personalities playing off each other trying to survive as a pair. It makes for far far more interesting TV than a single guy drinking his own piss for an hour. They keep playing a lot of these shows over and over, so now is a good time to check it out. It made its way onto my playlist, I REALLY like this show. One guy is an old school Indian who lives off the land barefoot, the other guy is an ex-sniper military meat eating tyrannosaurus. They don't get along 100%, so it adds personality to a now dull idea.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The first few episodes of Dual Survival were awful and I almost gave up on it immediately, but this second season is really strong.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dude just intentionally slashed his arm open, poured gunpowder into the cut and cauterized it. Holy hell.

For education!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Outside of Ray Mears stuff, Dual Survival is the first show of this sort I really like. Survivorman was close, but the show's gimmick interfered with its utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hahaha these guys have no idea how thermal imaging works. This Bigfoot show is awesome.

• Locked thread