Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So I just watched the first episode of Geordie Shore and I guess I should be all offended about their outrageous behaviour but... I'm kinda not. They didn't really get up to anything that either I haven't done, wouldn't do or haven't seen people I know do. The only stuff I thought was bad was those two guys getting into a fight and Sophie getting so drunk she was throwing up (and I think wetting herself?) before 9pm. I'm on board for the rest of the series.

...I realise I stand alone amongst goons with this opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
For years I've been telling people that Barry is Pauls dad and a surprising number of people believe it.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm aware that goons have a bit of a reputation in this thread, but Stewart Lee this week was one of the best things I've ever seen on tv. I'd never seen any of his stuff before the recommendations on here so I'm certainly glad I gave it a shot.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

spe posted:

For years I've been telling people that Barry is Pauls dad and a surprising number of people believe it.

I thought their boss in a few episodes whose catchphrase was 'no slacking', was their dad? Who is also a twin and also does a comedy thing with his brother in blackpool.

Me and a friend had a tradition of going to pantomimes blind drunk and were meant to go to a chuckle brothers one last year but never got around to it. Probably has something to do with going to see Cinderella one year and realizing we were too old and drunk to get away with going to pantomimes.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

justcola posted:

I thought their boss in a few episodes whose catchphrase was 'no slacking', was their dad? Who is also a twin and also does a comedy thing with his brother in blackpool.
Pretty sure you're getting confused with their two older brothers (not twins), who are also a comedy duo.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

FreakyZoid posted:

Pretty sure you're getting confused with their two older brothers (not twins), who are also a comedy duo.

four chuckle brothers?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I guess when you grow up with a surname like Chuckle you either have to be funny or get bullied

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Rarity posted:

So I just watched the first episode of Geordie Shore and I guess I should be all offended about their outrageous behaviour but... I'm kinda not. They didn't really get up to anything that either I haven't done, wouldn't do or haven't seen people I know do. The only stuff I thought was bad was those two guys getting into a fight and Sophie getting so drunk she was throwing up (and I think wetting herself?) before 9pm. I'm on board for the rest of the series.

...I realise I stand alone amongst goons with this opinion.

yeah I watched it and enjoyed it, couldn't bear being in that house but it's quite funny to watch

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

I guess when you grow up with a surname like Chuckle you either have to be funny or get bullied

So Paul and Barry were definitely bullied

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

ibroxmassive posted:

four chuckle brothers?
There are six siblings, I think. Five brothers (one isn't in showbusiness) and a sister. Their dad was in theatre / light entertainment as well.

I don't know why I know these things.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuckle_Brothers

Their brothers were in the Black and White Minstrel Show? I kind of want that to be a fake edit, just because it would be the funniest fake Wiki edit I've seen lately.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

FreakyZoid posted:

There are six siblings, I think. Five brothers (one isn't in showbusiness) and a sister. Their dad was in theatre / light entertainment as well.

I don't know why I know these things.

You do have a Bo Selecta avatar after all.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Chuckles Brothers were on that celebrity coach trip thing a while back. Watching it was some surreal affair in work it's never quite left me. :(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

[UK] The Great British programme discussion. Chuckle Chat.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

So when they roast a hooker between them I assume they say "to me, to you"

Also we could joke about them just being a couple and show the current wikipedia page photo of them as some kind of proof. Also it should use their catchphase in some droll fashion

That covers the inappropriate jokes aspect of Chuckle Chat anyway.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Flipswitch posted:

The Chuckles Brothers were on that celebrity coach trip thing a while back. Watching it was some surreal affair in work it's never quite left me. :(

My favourite bit of that series was the severe roasting Cheryl Baker gave to David Van Day. There was absolutely no pretense at civility, she really, truly loathes him. I'm only sad they weren't on the coach together for any period of time, that would made for a show worth watching.

I mean, the guy is an odious, nasty piece of work, worse even than Piers Morgan and having read the history between them I think Cheryl is fully justified in holding a grudge for so long. Also, he memorably dumped his girlfriend on live TV, what a shithead.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm aware that goons have a bit of a reputation in this thread, but Stewart Lee this week was one of the best things I've ever seen on tv. I'd never seen any of his stuff before the recommendations on here so I'm certainly glad I gave it a shot.

He was on fine form for that episode. You have a lot of catching up to do!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
What's the collective noun for all the Chuckles, then? A guffaw of Chuckles?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
That's too obvious. I reckon it would be a Murder of Chuckles.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

An unnerving of Chuckles

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

ibroxmassive posted:

An unnerving of Chuckles

Yeah it's definitely this one.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

A bucket o' Chuckle

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A Calamity of Chuckle.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
A Restraining Order of Chuckles

wickles posted:

He was on fine form for that episode.
He really was - the IRA/al Qaeda stuff was some of the most provocative satire I've seen on TV for a long time. And don't forget Armando. "...Sting?"

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Jawidar posted:

He really was - the IRA/al Qaeda stuff was some of the most provocative satire I've seen on TV for a long time. And don't forget Armando. "...Sting?"

That was a slowed down bit from one of his stand up shows (with the gentleman bombers line missed out!) with a few bits added - but it worked really well.

Jon Ronson On on Radio 4 has been as excellent as always.

wickles fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 26, 2011

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Watched Theroux's Mega Jail documentary, and Channel/more4's Crack house documentary where they interviewed police and criminals and showed footage of a real life crack house with hidden police surveillance cameras in it.

Both were really interesting and highlighted America's criminal underbelly/police system in a fair manner. If you are going to watch the Crack house doc, its 2 hours long but worth it to be honest.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Man that last episode of Comedy Vehicle. I was convinced that he was just going to sit there with the guitar and not actually play anything at all.

Couldn't tell if it was genuine anger toward the bloke in the audience toward the end as well. Which is exactly what he wants, I suppose.

Pretty decent guitar playing as well. Just really weird.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Gasmask posted:

Couldn't tell if it was genuine anger toward the bloke in the audience toward the end as well. Which is exactly what he wants, I suppose.

Yeah I was confused by that as well. The audience did a bit of a panto noise as well.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
PSYCHOVILLE

Goddamn amazing. It's all starting to come together...

Loved Mister Jelly's "Oh what have we done this time?"

And the entire Carehome sequence.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3kvZuTjKo

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

What are the general thoughts on BBC3's Ideal? I'm watching it at the moment, and it's strange.

Fat blokes, mental chavs, nazi pizzas and ginger knife gangs. Odd stuff, interesting enough viewing.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 26, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ChuckDHead posted:

What are the general thoughts on BBC3's Ideal? I'm watching it at the moment, and it's strange.

I quite enjoy it, it is well written Vegas fits the role of role of Moz like a glove and all the other actors and comedians that show are awesome people.

Plus the music Graham Duff selects for it is simply amazing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm not sure how it moved on in the later series, but I enjoyed the first 1 1/2 seasons. Vegas really gives a perfect performance, and the rest keep their end up, but my main observation was how the setting masked how silly most of the comedy was. There's all this depressing poo poo, and then mice gangsters. I only stopped watching it because I felt like a class-tourist.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Stewart Lee was good, though one of the odder episodes. Some of the audience reactions were ridiculous. I think I'd like to see him live..

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm not sure how it moved on in the later series, but I enjoyed the first 1 1/2 seasons. Vegas really gives a perfect performance, and the rest keep their end up, but my main observation was how the setting masked how silly most of the comedy was. There's all this depressing poo poo, and then mice gangsters. I only stopped watching it because I felt like a class-tourist.

I know what you mean, it's like watching Rab C Nesbitt or Shameless in the class tourism respect.

And you're right about the way it's a very silly show masked by a layer of grime. In that respect it was the idea thing to watch straight after Psychoville.

Speaking of Psychoville, the new episode was great. Looks like the locket was some kind of Nazi occult thing. If the show doesn't tell us, hopefully the ARG will. The new site is up, by the way: Sunnyvale Rest Home. Why not take a tour?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I think people are being a bit too sensitive about class tourism when they're talking about Shameless being unnerving.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

justcola posted:

Stewart Lee was good, though one of the odder episodes. Some of the audience reactions were ridiculous. I think I'd like to see him live..

Seeing him tomorrow night, but wish I was going to this.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

ChuckDHead posted:

Speaking of Psychoville, the new episode was great. Looks like the locket was some kind of Nazi occult thing. If the show doesn't tell us, hopefully the ARG will. The new site is up, by the way: Sunnyvale Rest Home. Why not take a tour?

gently caress

One of the few times something like that's actually gotten me.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Anyone watch Shadow Line? Guardian Blog here. Seems like the journalist being killed right after he basically tells the boss about what he's sort of investigating means that higher ups might actually tell his story? And the title of the show is basically Gatehouse..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

ibroxmassive posted:

I think people are being a bit too sensitive about class tourism when they're talking about Shameless being unnerving.

I blame Pulp.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

gently caress

One of the few times something like that's actually gotten me.

I was pretty confused and creeped out by the Joy one for a few seconds.