Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Captivate CM7 chat:

If you're on a different custom rom, rooted, Rom Manager'd, and Ti-backup'd and you're trying to install CM7, except it's not in rom manager download window try this:

Download cm7 directly, pop it on your SD card.
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=captivatemtd

Backup your current rom via normal means.

Choose "reboot into recovery" or reboot, hold down vol+, vol-, and power. Let go of power after the splash screen.
You're now in clockwork manual mode.

Choose the zip you downloaded to the SD card via "choose zip for update" or something like that

Voila, cm7 is now on your phone, but you don't have gapps yet

Go to rom manager, and download the latest gapps. It should install, but if it doesn't, repeat the previous manual mode update installation. The gapps zip is in clockworkmod/downloads/goo-inside.me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

CombatMedic posted:

I'm using CM 7.0.3.1 on an EVO.

I'm having a tough time with Gmail lately. I will receive emails properly, but I can't send them. It just hangs on "sending" forever. Also, when I delete or archive a message, it won't sync to my Gmail account, therefore the message is not deleted.

I've looked into "accounts" and Gmail is set to sync everything, so I'm not sure what else to do.

Go into your application manager and clear Gmail's cache. Sometimes that fixes issues with gmail syncing.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
HTC just announced on Facebook that they will no longer be locking the bootloaders on their future devices.

Woo-hoo!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Aatrek posted:

HTC just announced on Facebook that they will no longer be locking the bootloaders on their future devices.

Woo-hoo!

I saw that on Facebook (and posted about it in the device thread,) and posted something on their wall. They responded in literally less than a minute. It's nice to see HTC is trying to fix their image with us nerds.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The question is are they going to unlock the Desire S/Incredible S?

If so it makes it much easier to chose one of them over the Nexus S

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

I saw that on Facebook (and posted about it in the device thread,) and posted something on their wall. They responded in literally less than a minute. It's nice to see HTC is trying to fix their image with us nerds.

Maybe they realize that the normals all ask us what kind of phone to buy.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

900ftjesus posted:

Maybe they realize that the normals all ask us what kind of phone to buy.

Maybe htc is taking notes from Sony about what happens when you gently caress with a bunch of nerds who get off on anime and loving you back.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
I'm using oxygen gb on my desire at the moment with the radio ending in 17 and I've noticed my mobile internet signal its only g when it should be h and sometimes h when there is no signal at all. I seem to recall there was a similar problem with some cm7 variants but it also seems plausible that it could be the radio. occasionally if I leave mobile internet connected overnight it will drain nearly half the battery as well so I'm guessing its the radio having trouble talking to the towers. I'm upgrading the rom soon anyway but I'm wondering if its worth downgrading the radio too?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Xenomorph posted:

CM nightly 86 is really getting there on the Nook Color.

Starting with nightly 82, it included the new 2.6.32 kernel for the Nook Color that fixed Deep Sleep. And starting with nightly 86, it has the new boot partition.

Anybody mind clearing up some questions I had about this? I've been reading reports of people having problems with the new boot manager.

I'm on a late-70's build. I always update full installs by booting to a SD card with CWR. I backup the old install, clear cache, and install the new zip.

If I move to 86+, can I just do the same thing or do I need to take additional steps to make sure the install goes smoothly?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

dissss posted:

The question is are they going to unlock the Desire S/Incredible S?

If so it makes it much easier to chose one of them over the Nexus S

That's been my question. I had my heart set on the EVO 3D but I have strong reservations with the new security. If they'll include the current and upcoming crop of phones like the Desire S, Incredible S, EVO 3D, and Sensation, that will make me very happy.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

So I SBF'd back to froyo and then reinstalled Liberty 2.0.1. Now I'm getting all kinds of force closes and apps just plain not responding (for instance, my alarm klock. Earlier I couldn't even get a ringtone to start. Any time I tried to open up Zedge or even the android ringtone list through settings I'd get force closes or reboots.

At first I thought it was the theme so I switched to a different theme. I didn't have this problem originally. Should I re-SBF?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Did you wipe data and cache before installing Liberty?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Crackbone posted:

Anybody mind clearing up some questions I had about this? I've been reading reports of people having problems with the new boot manager.

I'm on a late-70's build. I always update full installs by booting to a SD card with CWR. I backup the old install, clear cache, and install the new zip.

If I move to 86+, can I just do the same thing or do I need to take additional steps to make sure the install goes smoothly?

What problems with the boot loader? I like the new "cyanogen(mod)" boot splash.

I just tap the Clockwork Mod icon on my screen, and it did all the needed work.

It downloads the latest nightly build, Google Apps, and wipes the Davlik cache. After a reboot, I'm back at my Desktop with the new OS.
It installed the new boot image without any issue.

I will probably do a full wipe again when CM 7.1 hits final. The automated stuff has been working fine for a while.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Xenomorph posted:

What problems with the boot loader? I like the new "cyanogen(mod)" boot splash.

I just tap the Clockwork Mod icon on my screen, and it did all the needed work.

It downloads the latest nightly build, Google Apps, and wipes the Davlik cache. After a reboot, I'm back at my Desktop with the new OS.
It installed the new boot image without any issue.

I will probably do a full wipe again when CM 7.1 hits final. The automated stuff has been working fine for a while.

Reading the nightlies discussion there were several people talking about problems they thought were related to the new bootloader.

I guess I should just update like you do now, but right when I first flashed CM7 on the Nook there was a problem with the automatic updates that scared me off.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the best non-CM rom for the Evo?

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

explosivo posted:

What's the best non-CM rom for the Evo?

non-cm or non-aosp/stock?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

teamdest posted:

non-cm or non-aosp/stock?

Just non CM. I'm kind of burnt out on it with all my GPS issues and whatnot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Edit: Double post :(

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

explosivo posted:

Just non CM. I'm kind of burnt out on it with all my GPS issues and whatnot.

well I can't say from firsthand knowledge, but I believe Fresh is the standard Sense rom. I don't know what options you have for no-cm but stock? my incredible has a couple like OMGB/OMFGB, Ruby, and one other I forget the name of. Maybe hit up XDA and just poke around a bit?

Alternatively: Try a rom with sense 2/3, they are supposedly pretty nice.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

teamdest posted:

well I can't say from firsthand knowledge, but I believe Fresh is the standard Sense rom. I don't know what options you have for no-cm but stock? my incredible has a couple like OMGB/OMFGB, Ruby, and one other I forget the name of. Maybe hit up XDA and just poke around a bit?

Alternatively: Try a rom with sense 2/3, they are supposedly pretty nice.
It's a pain in the rear end, but you should be able to pretty much fix your GPS issues right up by flashing a Sense ROM and going the GPS clearing thing then restoring your CM7 ROM.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

It's a pain in the rear end, but you should be able to pretty much fix your GPS issues right up by flashing a Sense ROM and going the GPS clearing thing then restoring your CM7 ROM.

I'm using CM7 with GPS and no problems, this worked for me.

I remember liking Myn's Warm ROM the most on the Sense side.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I have an original Droid. If I want to bluetooth tether, do I need to root my phone?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

If you don't mind paying PdaNet works for that without root.

Bluetooth tethering never works very well for me though, its simply too slow. You might want to investigate USB or Wifi (both of which you can get with root)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I've run into some problems with my rooted NC. I'm running 1.2 manual nooter, just updated the other day. It was fine for the last few days but it seems that the battery drained last night. I'm now in an endless reboot stage, it spells out nook color, or parts of it before it restarts.

I have CWM (3.0.2.8) on an SD card, I've wiped cache and Dalvick cache, but that has not worked. Any ideas on what my next step could be? I've tried searching xda but it is a wasteland of help. Another annoying thing is it will not power down if I have charging, is this normal?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

calandryll posted:

I've run into some problems with my rooted NC. I'm running 1.2 manual nooter, just updated the other day. It was fine for the last few days but it seems that the battery drained last night. I'm now in an endless reboot stage, it spells out nook color, or parts of it before it restarts.

I have CWM (3.0.2.8) on an SD card, I've wiped cache and Dalvick cache, but that has not worked. Any ideas on what my next step could be? I've tried searching xda but it is a wasteland of help. Another annoying thing is it will not power down if I have charging, is this normal?

Sounds like you might just have to start over, wipe everything and install a fresh version of B&N's software. As far as the boot loop goes, I had that happen while my batter was low and I just booted into CWM and left it plugged in like that for about an hour, not ideal but it charged fine.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Codiusprime posted:

Sounds like you might just have to start over, wipe everything and install a fresh version of B&N's software. As far as the boot loop goes, I had that happen while my batter was low and I just booted into CWM and left it plugged in like that for about an hour, not ideal but it charged fine.

Yeah just did a factory wipe. As soon as I get it setup again I'm going to let it get to full charge and then work on nootering it again. I never had these problems with 1.1. I wonder if the OC kernel may have been some of the problem.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

calandryll posted:

Yeah just did a factory wipe. As soon as I get it setup again I'm going to let it get to full charge and then work on nootering it again. I never had these problems with 1.1. I wonder if the OC kernel may have been some of the problem.

The only time I've gotten stuck in a loop (and it wasn't my fault) it was kernel related. I tried to install a new one, it got angry. I started all over, tried the kernel again and all was golden. It has run flawlessly for about a month or so (maybe longer), last night I had my first random shut down. Ever.

mea gulpa
May 25, 2006
Not sure if I should post this in the general Android thread or here, but just in case anyone with a Droid X hasn't seen it yet, the Gingerbread OTA has been released and you can get all the necessary stuff to update to it from here:

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7651-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Running a rooted version of the ota now, and and its going great. I had to learn how to sbf this morning too, but that wasn't too bad.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Codiusprime posted:

The only time I've gotten stuck in a loop (and it wasn't my fault) it was kernel related. I tried to install a new one, it got angry. I started all over, tried the kernel again and all was golden. It has run flawlessly for about a month or so (maybe longer), last night I had my first random shut down. Ever.

I think I figured out my problem, perhaps. I thought I had cleaned everything off when I updated from 1.1 to 1.2, and when I ran manual nooter. I did not do the format /system. Which I did through CWM, on 1.1 I had placed it in emmc. I formatted /system and /data from my SD version of CWM and just installed the 1.2 update that should remove CWM. Now to run nooter again and see if everything is working fine now.

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts
So my warranty on my N1 lapsed last week and I finally got around to buying a new USB cable.

I want to root my phone and play with some roms. However I've now learnt that my current version 2.3.4 OTA is un-rootable, even if I was to unlock the bootloader.

The only process I've discovered is a bit convoluted:
1) Backup User Data (My Backup Pro?)
2) Restore 2.3.3 using Passimg

Then some combination of installing su.zip?, Clockwork Recovery, 2.3.4 stock, preventing a reboot and some other long and complicated steps.

It's so confusing, can anyone help me?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Once you've unlocked the bootloader it shouldn't matter whether or not your current ROM is rootable - just flash a recovery and use that to flash whatever ROM you want

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Nexus_One:_Full_Update_Guide

If you want to do it WITHOUT unlocking the bootloader I guess it gets more complicated but I don't see any reason you shouldn't just go ahead and unlock it

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So I'm going to try and flash the radio for the newest leedroid. Can someone explain this process to me? I read the guide linked in the leedroid thread but the information isn't very clear. I don't want to mess up and brick my new phone.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
I'm running midnightROM v 6.0 (leaked 2.3.3 ROM) on my Epic 4G as of a couple days ago and it's running great. Speed is better than FroYo, battery life is acceptable with decent SetCPU profiles, 3G/4G works and so does GPS (20m accuracy, good enough for RunKeeper and Nav) and Netflix. All in all, Gingerbread's pretty loving awesome.

There's only 2 things I miss.

First, I know I saw somewhere in this thread, or maybe on XDA, that there was a way to modify the framework-res.apk to change the battery icon in the status bar. The ROM I'm using has a 1% mod, but it's over the generic Gingerbread battery icon, and it's kinda hard to read from a distance of normal use. Before I was using the HTC Classic design (circle with bigger numbers). Can anyone point me to some instructions on what needs to be changed/added to do my own modifications? A little Googleing has led to me this answer.

Second, since there's no modded kernel until source is released, I miss using Galaxy Tuner to change my global sound equalizer. Since I listen to Pandora in my car through my AUX port, this is kind of a bigger deal than the battery icon. What makes a program work perfectly in 2.2 and then not work in 2.3.3? Is there anything I can change in the program's .apk to get it working again? When I run it, it asks for Superuser rights and then after it gets the rights, it freezes. Nothing I hit within the program registers at all, the Menu and Back soft-keys don't work, but Home will take me out of it. It never force-closes. Is there anything I can do to try and fix this, or am I going to have to wait until he updates or a voodoo (or similar) kernel is released for Gingerbread on the Epic?

zamin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 29, 2011

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

I just rooted and flashed my Inspire 4g to CM7, and I must say that I love it.

Now my main question is, what else should I add to it? I have never rooted an Android before, so I have no idea what the next step is.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
First time rooting my HTC Dream G1 and I'm stuck. I am attempting to update the radio software as I want to put the cynogen rom on my phone but when I try to flash the new radio software it says it's unable to find the file. It's really loving frustrating.

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

Zorba the Greek posted:

First time rooting my HTC Dream G1 and I'm stuck. I am attempting to update the radio software as I want to put the cynogen rom on my phone but when I try to flash the new radio software it says it's unable to find the file. It's really loving frustrating.

Make sure you've got the right filename? It's been a while, but I seem to remember that one of the files has a name that reads like it should be something else.

Edit - I'm thinking of the DREAIMG.NBH file, are you past that stage?

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Joans posted:

Make sure you've got the right filename? It's been a while, but I seem to remember that one of the files has a name that reads like it should be something else.

Edit - I'm thinking of the DREAIMG.NBH file, are you past that stage?

Yeah, I've done that part. I've installed the Custom Recovery Image and now I'm trying to flash the Radio. I've followed the instructions correctly but when I attempt to install the update.zip file in the recovery screen it says it can't and that there is no such file or directory.

For reference I am using this sites guide: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=HTC_Dream:_Rooting

EDIT: Now it's saying:

Installing from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: no signature (5 files)
E: Verification failed
Installation aborted

This is so annoying! :argh:

Onion Vanguard fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 30, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Are you sure your recovery flashed correctly.

It should look something like this (except with Dream instead of Sapphire)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

dissss posted:

Are you sure your recovery flashed correctly.

It should look something like this (except with Dream instead of Sapphire)

Yeah, literally this second I figured out I didn't root it properly. It looks like that now! Thanks haha.