Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

nsaP posted:

They're a bunch of sportbike riders and they've not taken too kindly to me so far, but whatever. They roll out in huge groups and frequently post about people crashing so I'm not sure I want to know them that well anyway.

I joined TX Sportbike Assoc a few years ago and found the same thing. I went to one of the local meetings but didn't really like the vibe. Reading the forum after one of their SMRs (Sunday Morning Rides) would reveal talk of crashes almost every weekend. There were also a few fatalities and severe injuries. I prefer to ride alone or with no more than four others.

bung fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Saw this on the facebook group for Sportbikes, guy was asking for recommendations for a first bike:

Patrick shuts up after the rest of the guys with common sense continue to berate him.

Patrick is an idiot, not just because he recommended a I4 600 for a first bike but, because Ducati has a ton of WSBK championships(16 or something?) with their inferior vtwins(Ltwins).

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Well the other thing is, unless I'm misremembering, people posted some graph of typical v performance versus I4, I don't remember if it was also a 1000 cc thing, or not, but the idea was I4 has an exponential torque curve, and Vs have a linear one, which means you can do the poo poo I accidentally did with my triumph a couple times where you're like '4k rpm is too little, so I'll do 6k' and then discover how fast the rear end can switch places with the front end on dry pavement when the tires are cold.

Plus, and I don't know if this a quirk of my bike, or what, but when it's cold, the triumph will literally idle at 2.5k when I give it a little gas, then appropos of nothing, within 8 seconds, jump to 6k all on its own, and then settle around 4. Which for a while made turning into traffic really loving interesting before I found out I had to let it go through this ritual in neutral before going anywhere with it.

Whereas my suzuki, which is a bear at low rpms admittedly, is the *same* bear the whole time.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Funny Triumph behavior

Mine never does that?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Hmm. I kind of want to do this, just for the fun of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDctiyUa9E&feature=related

I kind of did. Well not me personally but I had some lithuim polymer bats made for my cb750. They're 4 cell packs. I was going to use both packs (all 8 cells) on one bike but I'm thinking of removing the starter motor and just running kick instead now. So, since I plan on running sans starter, I'm hiding the battery pack IN the motor where the starter went.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 24, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

SaNChEzZ posted:

Mine never does that?

02 daytona thing? I don't know. It's got a computer, so who knows what it's doing (not me).

\/\/\/ Drool! :D

I'm thinking of selling my m109 and getting a sprint or a ktm. I have a girlfriend who wants rides, though, so I keep doing mental math about like '600 bucks for gear for her, bare minimum, plus like 3-4k loss on the m109 plus whatever I trade to during the summer'.

So am I confused, or did they switch to 600 cc sport bikes only from the liter ones? Yours is like the last year?

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 24, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

02 daytona thing? I don't know. It's got a computer, so who knows what it's doing (not me).

08 here, probably a bit different, but yeah..

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

idle at 2.5k when I give it a little gas, then appropos of nothing, within 8 seconds, jump to 6k all on its own

It has a fast idle system that works like an automatic choke, it could be acting up. If you know a good dealer, I'd give them a call (or post on a good forum) and see if they know what's what. Probably something loose, dry or dirty.

Came across this pic on HFLs twitter:

A moment frozen, when poo poo got real.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

Russian Bear posted:

Patrick is an idiot, not just because he recommended a I4 600 for a first bike but, because Ducati has a ton of WSBK championships(16 or something?) with their inferior vtwins(Ltwins).

Yeah, bad advice. Everyone know that noobs need the extra torque a literbike provides.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You need the extra torque of a literbike, then you need a big turbo kit installed for that high end rush. Pretty simple physics, really.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

kylej posted:

You need the extra torque of a literbike, then you need a big turbo kit installed for that high end rush. Pretty simple physics, really.

Don't forget the NAWZ brah. You're gonna get bored fast with a turbo 1k.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Ola posted:

It has a fast idle system that works like an automatic choke, it could be acting up. If you know a good dealer, I'd give them a call (or post on a good forum) and see if they know what's what. Probably something loose, dry or dirty.

Came across this pic on HFLs twitter:

A moment frozen, when poo poo got real.

Ok, this needs to be made into a movie.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

kylej posted:

Now that you mention it, lookit this awesome first bike option I found today:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2401113959.html

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I've had my Ninja 650R as my first bike for the past 4 years and I still love the hell out of it, I can't understand that concept of go big or go home for a first bike - the only thing I would really want an inline 4 is so I can wring it out over 15k RPM's, that must feel so awesome :smith:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sepist posted:

the only thing I would really want an inline 4 is so I can wring it out over 15k RPM's, that must feel so awesome :smith:

Mine only goes to 12k RPM, but yeah, it's still pretty sweet :)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sepist posted:

I've had my Ninja 650R as my first bike for the past 4 years and I still love the hell out of it, I can't understand that concept of go big or go home for a first bike - the only thing I would really want an inline 4 is so I can wring it out over 15k RPM's, that must feel so awesome :smith:

Seriously, if you're confident in your ability and self-control, you owe it to yourself to try one out. Even a liter standard like an FZ1. Its such a mind boggling eye opener. It really does redefine what you think about acceleration. Those gifs that were posted (by Spiff maybe?) of the Grinch for liter inline 4s, and the guy from Italian Spiderman for liter twins are perfect descriptors.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

Seriously, if you're confident in your ability and self-control, you owe it to yourself to try one out. Even a liter standard like an FZ1. Its such a mind boggling eye opener. It really does redefine what you think about acceleration. Those gifs that were posted (by Spiff maybe?) of the Grinch for liter inline 4s, and the guy from Italian Spiderman for liter twins are perfect descriptors.

Spiffness posted:

I4's build slowly to massive amounts of power and kind of do this to you:

Twins start with power and continue with power until redline and make you go

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I enjoy the hell out of my 500 but when I rode a friends R6 it was awesome as gently caress. But it's not something I could use in streetriding that's why I'm getting a sumo to hoon on. :)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What about low displacement I4s? I have my heart set on a 400cc 4cyl sportbike.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're gonna get an I4 for your first bike, it should probably be a UJM.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Russian Bear posted:

Now that you mention it, lookit this awesome first bike option I found today:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2401113959.html

What's the deal with military and R1s? Anytime it's military it is always that bike.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Gnaghi posted:

What's the deal with military and R1s? Anytime it's military it is always that bike.

Marketing savvy I think?
http://www.hookit.com/members/atvrideronline/blog/?resourceId=7445a277-bb3c-459a-81f0-4007b35fb9b3

Not sure though.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

SNAKE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B935iZOSokM

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

SNAKE!

Holy loving poo poo.

Dude handled that pretty well all things considered...

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Boat posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

Dude handled that pretty well all things considered...

Yet *another* good argument in favor of ATGATT.

Cobra venom; it's a real risk.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 26, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Retarded Pimp posted:

SNAKE!

gently caress, I didn't even notice that until he pulled over. Also, pretty sure the scooter rider @ 0:20 had a loving heart attack from that pass.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Also, pretty sure the scooter rider @ 0:20 had a loving heart attack from that pass.

Haha holy poo poo, I reckon!

I didn't even see the snake on my first watch.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Slim Pickens posted:

Look at the deflection on the rear tire. Holy smokes.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

SNAKE!

What kind of snake is that? I cant imagine hauling rear end like that and then OH SHITSNAKE.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

sw0cb posted:

What kind of snake is that? I cant imagine hauling rear end like that and then OH SHITSNAKE.

I'm really not a pet person at all but if I was that guy I would totally want to keep it as a pet as long as it isn't some venomous killer snake. Then when someone asks about it I could tell em "No didn't buy it, it jumped out of my bike at 100mph".

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

niethan posted:

I would pay good money to ride this on the Tail of the Dragon, just so I could get a souvenir picture from Killboy. In full leathers, of course and trying to get a knee down.... (The contraption, not the girl.... though, come to think of it, maybe the girl too.)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

DILLIGAF posted:

I would pay good money to ride this on the Tail of the Dragon, just so I could get a souvenir picture from Killboy. In full leathers, of course and trying to get a knee down.... (The contraption, not the girl.... though, come to think of it, maybe the girl too.)

You'd be run over and killed by the Dodge Viper owners club. (The girl, not the Dragon.)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

I'm really not a pet person at all but if I was that guy I would totally want to keep it as a pet as long as it isn't some venomous killer snake. Then when someone asks about it I could tell em "No didn't buy it, it jumped out of my bike at 160mph".

That retard buzzed multiple riders at 160mph without crossing to the other side of the road.

The_Fur
May 23, 2003
The next person who calls me a furry will be hunted down and skinned alive with a rusted tea spoon.

Zool posted:

That retard buzzed multiple riders at 160mph without crossing to the other side of the road.

Divide that by about 1.6 to get the actual mph speed...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The_Fur posted:

Divide that by about 1.6 to get the actual mph speed...

Watch the video again. He's doing 270km/h at his fastest. That's 168mph.

TskMgr
Aug 26, 2009
That is very nice

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Passing other motorcyclists in the same lane, even if it's doable, is a very very dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

eggyolk posted:

Passing other motorcyclists in the same lane, even if it's doable, is a very very dick move.

What about passing them in the same lane on the right on a two lane road while a truck is passing in the other direction on the left? Most dickish thing that I've ever experienced. At least they waved thank you once they were gone, fuckers.