Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Ah, I always though Tariq Ali was fairly sensible, but now.. Saying that there are as many african americans in prison as slaves in 1850 seems rather spurious if only on the basis of choice.

( On This Week, not just musing and randomly sharing with you guys)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Not the first to make that claim.
http://www.alternet.org/story/150465/more_black_men_now_in_prison_system_than_were_enslaved?page=entire

US prison numbers have exploded over the last two decades. It now stands somewhere over 2 million. About half are African-Americans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States

According to this, there were 3 million slaves in 1950.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1850_United_States_Census

I don't know where the discrepancy is. But either way, the US locks up a shockingly large number of people.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pablo Bluth posted:

According to this, there were 3 million slaves in 1950.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1850_United_States_Census

3 million slaves in 1950?

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Jesus christ I can't breathe

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.

Trickjaw posted:

Ah, I always though Tariq Ali was fairly sensible, but now.. Saying that there are as many african americans in prison as slaves in 1850 seems rather spurious if only on the basis of choice.

( On This Week, not just musing and randomly sharing with you guys)

This is actually very close to the truth. Go read the prison threads in D&D or LF.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

ChuckDHead posted:

I was pretty confused and creeped out by the Joy one for a few seconds.

There's ANOTHER one? Goddamnit!

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Kulex posted:

This is actually very close to the truth. Go read the prison threads in D&D or LF.

the prison thread should be required reading for everybody. Last weeks episode of Theroux's is a good companion to the thread aswell. The original is in the lf goldmine, there is an updated version that was active recently in lf and there is another in D&D which is the same OP as the lf one I presume.

Film4 just had a fantastic season of Australian film. In particular The Square, Little Fish, Mary and Max and Loved Ones.
Shame they are limited to just one channel while sky has dozens and they only play poo poo.

le chat fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 27, 2011

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Stewart Lee was amazing this week. Good Dylan impression too.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I think this was the first episode to capture the atmosphere and energy of his live shows. The crowd were giving him exactly what he wanted (mirth, confusion and despair)

I didn't come hear to listen to someone badmouthing receipts!

Do yourselves a favour and check him out live. I've been to 3 different ones, and there's no show like it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Stewart Lee is actually a pretty good singer. He did a version of Galway Girl at the end of his last DVD that was pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85M7TXfhJHE

If he played it straight all the way through it would be amazing, as is stands it's still incredibly good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The guy who walked out obviously the one guy who always sends letters of complaint over everything on telly.

Or just a cunning plant.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Tealeaf has the same laptop as me, now I don't hate my laptop as much. The raped character was perhaps too far, but I couldn't stop giggling, so I can't claim the high ground.

Also noticed that in the credits Silent Singer is played by "Himself". This series is great, what other British show can boast an appearance by John Landis?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Tomorrow belongs to TEA.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I love Mike (Tealeafs) reaction when the cellar was lit up. Also, I bet the ashes in the lockets were Hitlers remains. Anything is possible now we have possible Nazi Occultism in the picture.

Also, holy poo poo new series of Ideal? the forum populated by stoners never mentioned this!

Oh.

Benzene
Feb 1, 2007
So viel Spaß für wenig Geld.

incredible bear posted:

Also noticed that in the credits Silent Singer is played by "Himself".

In case anyone missed it, the behind the scenes video of Silent Singer explains how it was created - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00h0mds

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

No! Ambulances are for poofs!

God, It is creepy how much Ryan Pope looks like a Gallagher.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Kulex posted:

I will and also the above links, it was more the willingness to commit crimes does not equate to being compelled into life long slavery, and the convenient use of numbers=numbers.

In more lighthearted things, BBC 3 is still excellent at televising people who should be wiped out.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

wickles posted:

That was a slowed down bit from one of his stand up shows (with the gentleman bombers line missed out!)* with a few bits added - but it worked really well.

One of the things I appreciate about Lee is that when he does re-perform a routine that a lot of his audience will have seen, he finds a way to put a new spin on it. In the original stand-up set, the IRA bit came across as Lee without persona, just presenting something provocative and unconventional as a stand-up topic. This time round I felt like he was sort-of doing a send-up of a 'traditional' comedian (in contrast to that idea of 'alternative comedy' from the 80s) - emphasising the twisted patriotic elements and disregard for P.C.

And of course the Armando bit to go with it was the cherry on the cake...

*In the Stewart Lee book, he mentions that around the time of the original one or two other stand-ups came up with the same line independently, so maybe he didn't want to tread on any toes. I did miss when he got that audience to "have a little clap" for the IRA, but I guess it wouldn't have worked within the episode.

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So somebody recommended me to watch this british series called Luther, which apparently features Stringer Bell talking in a funny accent and being all angry about stuff. Any views/opinions?

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.

lil sartre posted:

So somebody recommended me to watch this british series called Luther, which apparently features Stringer Bell talking in a funny accent and being all angry about stuff. Any views/opinions?

It's incredible. Starts a bit like they don't know how serious they want it, but then it goes into another direction and it owns. Series 2 should start any day now.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Shadow Line and Psychoville stories are beginning to merge. Maybe gatehouse can also see the silent singer.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

How is Shadow Line, not sure if it's worth catching up on?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Brown Moses posted:

How is Shadow Line, not sure if it's worth catching up on?

loving. Awesome. Watch it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah; brilliantly performed and directed. Last episode in particular just had such great loving verve. Take a fairly cliche concept and just execute perfectly.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
So apparently this scene from the film Taffin featured on Adam and Joe throughout their current 6music series is now a meme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXcgt6l_LcA&feature=player_embedded

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Metrication posted:

So apparently this scene from the film Taffin featured on Adam and Joe throughout their current 6music series is now a meme:

Taffin was on after match of the day last week and it was pretty good for a poo poo movie but it has a ludicrous storyline about taffin trying to save a field for the boys to play football on in this tiny rural village in ireland. Father ted pops up in it as the compère of a seedy gentlemens club. (which is bizarre because this small rural town has enough demand for a strip club?)

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007

Metrication posted:

I love how badly edited "none of your busine--" is.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Metrication posted:

The low voiceover competition for Taffin with Redd Pepper on yesterday's show loving killed me, I haven't laughed that hard in ages.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Metrication posted:

Welcome to 11 pages ago.

Well maybe she shouldn't be living there, has anyone considered that?

Here's the bit from the Norman Mailer film they played this week-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KyBdPeKHg

There was a hint that they'll be at Glasto again this year, lets hope so-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssqfJY2HXnQ

wickles fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 30, 2011

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

A hint? They'll be doing three shows at Glasto to finish off the series, as they said in their first show back.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
They did? I missed that. They've just done show 8 of 12, so ermmm

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

I want to mention The Shadow Line.

It has:

An old gay man in tight black pants. Who threatens people, while puffing on a smoke inhaler.
A sociopathic gentleman caller, who doffs his hat and likes to snatch babies.
An amnesiac copper who has to juggle two lives and the case of the century.

And its all completely serious. And its good. Very good. Its a jumble of things that shouldn't work, but handled in a way that makes it work. Like the last scene with the shot of the reporter from behind, and arty blood dripping were really effective. Chiwetel Ejiofor is really good as Gabriel too.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

There's ANOTHER one? Goddamnit!

(On the subject of the Psychoville ARG stuff)

There's always one on every site this series, you have to find them if you want to find the code that unlocks episode by episode.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Anyone else watching All Watched Over By Machines? Its interesting but half of this stuff i learned in uni and i feel like ive finished uni only to watch a lecture by choice... :(

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I think All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace is the single most striking programme I have seen this year. Soundtrack, words and music are so perfectly balanced as to make me just gawp in awe.

I love it even though I know it'll take me two watches to understand how we go from Freuds' theories to the ecosystem.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Kid Moe posted:

Anyone else watching All Watched Over By Machines? Its interesting but half of this stuff i learned in uni and i feel like ive finished uni only to watch a lecture by choice... :(

don't watch it?

I'm not sure what you are saying, that it should be presented in a different way? It's the same format he has used for most of his documentaries

or you just hate lectures? I dunno what you were expecting. lectures r cool lerning is fun :)

le chat fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 30, 2011

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I love Adam Curtis' style. It's like a wonderfully beautiful visual essay with the references tidily added in with the interspersed interview parts.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

le chat posted:

don't watch it?

I'm not sure what you are saying, that it should be presented in a different way? It's the same format he has used for most of his documentaries

or you just hate lectures? I dunno what you were expecting. lectures r cool lerning is fun :)

I only hope when I go to university the lectures will be as interesting and absorbing as an Adam Curtis documentary.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If I declare my love of Springwatch, will you all mock me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Pablo Bluth posted:

If I declare my love of Springwatch, will you all mock me?

I'm even worse: I like Coast.