Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Git question here.

I have been working on developing a project. During initial development, I basically just modified the master branch. Now I am to the point where I want to release the first version.

I have created tag v1.0.0 and pointed it to the correct commit. What is the best method for performing bug fixes? I could theoretically continue to perform commits to master, then eventually tag v1.0.1 etc. I feel that this isn't really the best way.

Any advice?

You want release branches. git checkout -b 1.0 v1.0.0 will make a new branch based off of how your repository looked when you tagged v1.0.0, and you can then put bugfixes in there instead of in master.

This lets you break poo poo in master and continue cutting bugfix releases (since you can just tag off of the 1.0 branch now). You can also usually merge 1.0 into master pretty easily and thus 1.1 or 2.0 or whatever will still contain all the bugfixes from your 1.0.x line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

bitprophet posted:

You want release branches. git checkout -b 1.0 v1.0.0 will make a new branch based off of how your repository looked when you tagged v1.0.0, and you can then put bugfixes in there instead of in master.

This lets you break poo poo in master and continue cutting bugfix releases (since you can just tag off of the 1.0 branch now). You can also usually merge 1.0 into master pretty easily and thus 1.1 or 2.0 or whatever will still contain all the bugfixes from your 1.0.x line.

Great. Thanks for the insight.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Also keep in mind that you can copy commits via cherry-picking. If you have a commit on master tha specifically fixes a bug, switch to the release branch and cherry-pick it onto that, then release from there.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
Also what is the best way to handle binaries? Currently I have a build folder that contains all files necessary to generate the binaries and I put the resulting binaries in dist:
pre:
/build/
    setup.py
/dist/
    Sorter_1.0.0.exe
    Sorter_1.0.0.app
/source/
    Sorter.py
    configobj.py
Should the build directory really be under version control or should I just generate the binaries locally and throw them in at the relevant commits?

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Normally, you don't put generated files under version control, just the files used to generate them.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

mr_jim posted:

Normally, you don't put generated files under version control, just the files used to generate them.

Ok that's what I assumed was the case. So I would include build but not dist.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Ok that's what I assumed was the case. So I would include build but not dist.

Yes

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
My VCS experience has all been in Perforce and the current company is slowly migrating to Mercurial. I'm embracing it as best I can, but there's one nagging thing that I can't find a replacement / equivalent of in the new system... In Perforce, I'd have many changelists that I'd be working in at a time (let's ignore WHY I'm doing this for now). The closest I can find in Mercurial is the Shelve extension. Is this what I'm looking for or should I me making a bunch of branches to simulate the changelist behavior?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

devilmouse posted:

Perforce -> Mercurial

Define 'changelist'.

Edit: Oh, if you mean you're working on different features at the same time, then sure you could use branches, or you could also clone your repo for each feature.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah - in Perforce a changelist is a group of files which you can check in separate from any other files you're working on. So I might have a changelist for a quick data change in XML, a changelist for some random bugfix in code, and a big changelist for a major feature.

In Perforce, if someone randomly wanted another quick change, I could make a new changelist and check it in alone. I'm looking for the equivalence in Mercurial. Cloning the whole repo seems rather prohibitive given its size and the number of build scripts and config files I'd need to touch, so maybe branching is what I'm looking for.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm getting tired enough with git evangelism that I might go to CVS NT out of spite. Or maybe Fossil.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Why do you need some special feature to only commit some of the modified files?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

Why do you need some special feature to only commit some of the modified files?

Technically, I don't - but I don't relish the thought of keeping track of potentially 20+ file names out of a much larger list when I "hg st", thus the desire to organize them into changelists ala Perforce.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

devilmouse posted:

My VCS experience has all been in Perforce and the current company is slowly migrating to Mercurial. I'm embracing it as best I can, but there's one nagging thing that I can't find a replacement / equivalent of in the new system... In Perforce, I'd have many changelists that I'd be working in at a time (let's ignore WHY I'm doing this for now). The closest I can find in Mercurial is the Shelve extension. Is this what I'm looking for or should I me making a bunch of branches to simulate the changelist behavior?
The "traditional" answer is to maintain a separate local branch (roughly equivalent to a p4 client) for each change. This keeps them isolated and prevents accidental dependencies between CLs. I think Mercurial supports hardlinks, so disk usage should be somewhat reasonable.

You could try using mercurial queues; I haven't used them before, but a quick scan of the docs shows they might do what you want.

If your CLs have dependencies between them -- eg, you're splitting up a huge change into 3-4 CLs -- then you will probably just have to use 'hg st' and commit them separately. Depending on how awful this is, you could try writing a simple plugin that lets you tag open files and commit only files with a certain tag.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Janin posted:

You could try using mercurial queues; I haven't used them before, but a quick scan of the docs shows they might do what you want.

If your CLs have dependencies between them -- eg, you're splitting up a huge change into 3-4 CLs -- then you will probably just have to use 'hg st' and commit them separately. Depending on how awful this is, you could try writing a simple plugin that lets you tag open files and commit only files with a certain tag.

MQueues seem interesting, but they kind of make me afraid. They're always applied in order since they seem to be patchsets. I'm going to read up on them though. They might fit the bill.

IntelliJ seems to have its own built-in faker changelists (and shelving, for that matter). It keeps an in-memory list of files and then just hg commit <file1> <file2> etc. But that seems both sketchy, and it would require using an IDE... Eww.

I might just bite the bullet and write a quick bunch of scripts to deal with this on my own, but it seems like I'm being contrarian to what hg wants me to be doing anyway and not learning The True Way.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

devilmouse posted:

I might just bite the bullet and write a quick bunch of scripts to deal with this on my own, but it seems like I'm being contrarian to what hg wants me to be doing anyway and not learning The True Way.
Chill out. There is no such thing as a "true way", in any programming discipline. There *are* collections of "best practices" that work in the general case, but feel free to discard or modify any of them if needed.

In Mercurial, as in most DVCS, the best practice is to have one branch per logical change. This works well for most users. If it doesn't work for you, just find a different solution. Nobody will judge you.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

MononcQc posted:

I'm getting tired enough with git evangelism that I might go to CVS NT out of spite. Or maybe Fossil.

Fossil is neat. Until you realize noone on windows can work with you because the fossil devs are retarded about SSL.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
This has probably been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but I don't have any idea how to search for it. What are some ways (or the way) of handling dev-test/qa-prod environments in mercurial?

First, a little background. I have thus far only been using mercurial in essentially a single developer environment. My company was purchased recently, and because of that we need to change some of our procedures to become SOx compliant. Included in this is the need to have a more formal set of dev-test-prod environments for our BI solution. Previously we just had a development folder on our reporting server, and when everything looked good the report would be copied to the "definitive" report solution (now littered with ~whatever and whatever.bak) and then deployed to the real location on the report server. Well, I figure if I'm going to have to rework the process anyway, why not throw in some sweet DVCS action while I'm at it.

So, let's say my repository contains some SSRS projects. The project files, which I assume should be version controlled, have the deployment path in them. Also under version control are the data sources (assuming they aren't embedded in the reports) which contain things like connection strings. So the developer clones the "main" dev repository, makes some changes to a report file, pushes the changes back to the dev repository, and then deploys the report, which uses the dev database in its data sources, to the dev report server. Everything looks good, so then it's time to move the changes to qa. Whoever is in charge of such things pulls the changes from dev to the qa repository. Then what?

The reports in qa are published to the qa server and look at the qa database (or whatever), so how do we make sure that stays true when we merge in the dev stuff? Likewise for qa to prod. Do we merge carefully? Do we merge and then re-edit all of the configurations and data sources before we commit? Do we change the configurations and whatnot before we even pull? Is there some magic that can be done with branches or queues or hooks or extensions? Am I even thinking correctly when it comes to having separate dev, qa, and prod repositories? I'm using mercurial because we all run Windows. Is this something that git could handle by reading my thoughts so I should just switch? Does TFS have a magic'd up solution? Am I just not thinking in portals?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Can someone recommend a workflow for a small team starting out with git?

I know enough to get by, but only really as a single user. Most of the others have only used SVN. We'd also like to use Github as a central repository.

This kind of branch model looks interesting and easy enough to follow, but like I say, I don't know enough to tell if it's actually terrible or not.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I don't see why you need to make it so complicated, forcing people to use unnatural constructs as rebasing and poo poo.

Just write code, branch and merge, it's easy.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

uXs posted:

I don't see why you need to make it so complicated, forcing people to use unnatural constructs as rebasing and poo poo.

Just write code, branch and merge, it's easy.

Rebasing is incredibly useful as it makes merging easier. Instead of having to resolve ALL the conflicts all at once when merging, you can detach your branch and reattach it at a later commit, then resolve all the conflicts with that, then detach it again and reattach it an even later commit and repeat the process until your branch is based off master. Then you merge it in and have no conflicts.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mithaldu posted:

Rebasing is incredibly useful as it makes merging easier. Instead of having to resolve ALL the conflicts all at once when merging, you can detach your branch and reattach it at a later commit, then resolve all the conflicts with that, then detach it again and reattach it an even later commit and repeat the process until your branch is based off master. Then you merge it in and have no conflicts.

Maybe you could just merge more often?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

uXs posted:

Maybe you could just merge more often?

Yes, of course. I could constantly watch what's happening in the main branch and merge things into my branch, even if i don't know whether i'm happy with my changes as they are. Of course i'll lock the history of my branch in, because fixing issues in a feature branch with "revert blargh" commits is clearly superior to just going back and fixing bad commits. Of course i always have connectivity so there's never a time when i'm not able to stay on top of these things. Of course i'll also happily clutter up my commit history with hundreds of pointless merge commits.

Or you know, i could just use an elegant and useful tool like rebase.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

Sharrow posted:

Can someone recommend a workflow for a small team starting out with git?

I know enough to get by, but only really as a single user. Most of the others have only used SVN. We'd also like to use Github as a central repository.

This kind of branch model looks interesting and easy enough to follow, but like I say, I don't know enough to tell if it's actually terrible or not.

I've heard good things about git-flow. This guy gives a nice concise example of it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mithaldu posted:

Yes, of course. I could constantly watch what's happening in the main branch and merge things into my branch, even if i don't know whether i'm happy with my changes as they are. Of course i'll lock the history of my branch in, because fixing issues in a feature branch with "revert blargh" commits is clearly superior to just going back and fixing bad commits. Of course i always have connectivity so there's never a time when i'm not able to stay on top of these things. Of course i'll also happily clutter up my commit history with hundreds of pointless merge commits.

Or you know, i could just use an elegant and useful tool like rebase.

But the merges would be what you're actually doing, so they're not pointless.

Anyway, whatever. I just wanted to point out that going out of your way to make your development history completely linear isn't the only way to go. In development, branching happens all the time. It's not a crime to have your history show that.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

uXs posted:

Correct, the merges are not pointless. Leaving commits about them around in a feature branch however is pointless.

uXs posted:

I just wanted to point out that going out of your way to make your development history completely linear isn't the only way to go. In development, branching happens all the time. It's not a crime to have your history show that.
I actually agree with this too. The commit that merges the branch back is perfectly useful and important, just not all the "hey i just did this thing to synch, nevermind it lol" commits.

Please keep in mind that a somewhat clean history is not just there for vanity, but helps the poor shlob who has to read your history to find out why you hosed with a certain piece of plumbing.

Lastly, rebasing gives me control and granularity in my merging, without forcing me to continually think about it, or tieing me to a certain timeframe.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
God drat git diff --stat @{yesterday}.. is awesome. Makes me feel like I've accomplished something after some major refactoring. Just thought I'd chime in with that.

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 27, 2011

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

Mithaldu posted:

[...]
The commit that merges the branch back is perfectly useful and important, just not all the "hey i just did this thing to synch, nevermind it lol" commits.

Please keep in mind that a somewhat clean history is not just there for vanity, but helps the poor shlob who has to read your history to find out why you hosed with a certain piece of plumbing.
[...]

Yes, exactly. Not tidying your commits before pushing them somewhere public is like tweeting what you had for every meal; no one cares and it makes sifting through the noise for useful info harder. You can get away with the whole, "every spercommit is sacred, every commit is good" approach until a project hits a certain size, pace of development, and/or number of committers. After that you're just making a mess.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

uXs posted:

Anyway, whatever. I just wanted to point out that going out of your way to make your development history completely linear isn't the only way to go. In development, branching happens all the time. It's not a crime to have your history show that.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but it's relevant again so I'll repost it.

Here are Linus's thoughts on rebasing and merging, as they relate to kernel development. Before reading that, I hadn't thought about the consequences that rebasing has on the testing you've done on your code. In some workflows, it might be more valuable to preserve the actual branching point than to keep a clean-looking history.

Just some food for thought.

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009
I accidentally entered "git config --global core.autocrlf = false"

Now, when I try to enter "git config --global core.autocrlf false" I get:

true
error: More than one value for the key core.autocrlf: =

What did I do? And how do I fix it?

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006

Dooey posted:

I accidentally entered "git config --global core.autocrlf = false"

Now, when I try to enter "git config --global core.autocrlf false" I get:

true
error: More than one value for the key core.autocrlf: =

What did I do? And how do I fix it?

You probably now have a wonky line in your global config file. Whenever I do stuff like that I just open the config file and edit the bad line by hand:

code:
git config --global -e

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Here's an odd question: Does anyone know if there are any human-readable descriptions of git graphing algorithms? I'm specifically trying to rebuild Tortoisegit's algorithm so i can use it in a web git viewer, but i'm getting stuck on a few edge cases where i cannot tell what it's basing its decisions on.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I don't want to veer off too much from this only being related to programming, but I would like to know if it's common for version control systems to be used other than just for programming. For a studio that has a mix of programmers and video editors and audio engineers, does it make sense for these things to be used? The reason I'm asking is because the studio I'm working at is looking for a better way to organized progress of projects and meeting deadlines. New video/audio edits here work much like code (like version control I think) where files are accessed from a host computer and keeping a log of what has changed is critical.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

NOG posted:

I don't want to veer off too much from this only being related to programming, but I would like to know if it's common for version control systems to be used other than just for programming. For a studio that has a mix of programmers and video editors and audio engineers, does it make sense for these things to be used? The reason I'm asking is because the studio I'm working at is looking for a better way to organized progress of projects and meeting deadlines. New video/audio edits here work much like code (like version control I think) where files are accessed from a host computer and keeping a log of what has changed is critical.

As long as you don't start dumping huge binaries into the source repo you're fine.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Mithaldu posted:

As long as you don't start dumping huge binaries into the source repo you're fine.

Okay, this was exactly the problem I was thinking of. With video projects, they tend to run into the gigabytes, and I'm not sure exactly if their work flow will adapt to something like git. I'm just so unfamiliar it's hard for me to even imagine. I guess my best bet would be to just download a few and see how they work and they'll probably benefit my projects anyway. The thing that's different in my case is there are way more video editors than programmers.

ani47
Jul 25, 2007
+

NOG posted:

Okay, this was exactly the problem I was thinking of. With video projects, they tend to run into the gigabytes, and I'm not sure exactly if their work flow will adapt to something like git. I'm just so unfamiliar it's hard for me to even imagine. I guess my best bet would be to just download a few and see how they work and they'll probably benefit my projects anyway. The thing that's different in my case is there are way more video editors than programmers.

This is what perforce excels at handling large binary files. For comparison - I've worked on a depot that reached 2TB. Obviously at that size people don't sync to all of it only the parts they need.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

ani47 posted:

This is what perforce excels at handling large binary files. For comparison - I've worked on a depot that reached 2TB. Obviously at that size people don't sync to all of it only the parts they need.

Thanks this looks amazing, but pricey. Not that I didn't expect that, but I don't think we want to spend that much money or even get something open source/free. Do you know of anything similar? Oh well, I guess solving problems like this come at a cost!

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

NOG posted:

Thanks this looks amazing, but pricey. Not that I didn't expect that, but I don't think we want to spend that much money or even get something open source/free. Do you know of anything similar? Oh well, I guess solving problems like this come at a cost!

Before you go whole hog, you can get a perforce evaluation license that supports 2 users to test it out and see how it works out for you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ani47 posted:

Having used P4 extensively at work, the main problems I've observed with it are:
- it's pricey
- it's amazingly slow
- after using git or hg, it feels extremely awkward and dated

That said, it does scale very well and handles binary files fine - it starts out slow but doesn't really get any slower as you add more stuff to it. It's also cross-platform, has both graphical and command line interfaces, and even has a nice Python API. It also has changelists, which don't really replace topic branches but are at least much more pleasant than what you get with, say, SVN.

All in all it's not my favorite version control system, but if you need to control large numbers of large files you could do a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

NOG posted:

Can you separate the project files from the video data? My experience is with Avid Media Composer and as far as I can tell is that the project files more or less contain references to existing media (whether it's on a local disk or a network system like ISIS) and none of the media actually gets modified, but the client program stitches everything together, and new media (e.g. transitions) is stored alongside the existing media. I feel like versioning your media will end badly, but project files should be manageable.