Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

NaturalLow posted:

If it makes you feel any better, you can find tons of complaints through Google about weight gain for just about every pill out there. Every time I've researched a pill, I found a ton of that stuff regardless of the brand or what kind of hormones it used.

Also keep in mind that most people aren't going to go online and be like "I took such-and-such pill, nothing happened to me and it works great! :) " They aren't going to notice and complain unless it's a negative side effect, so it kind skews towards the negative.

This is super true and I will try to keep it in mind as hard as I can when anecdotal evidence gets to me. I figured this would be a good place for positive anecdotes to counteract google; posters in this thread seem like they have had every kind of experience possible. :)

DRP Solved! posted:

The lesson here is that you should never believe anything you read from googling a subject. POPs aren't associated with weight gain, and the Google testimonies tend to blame birth control for problems that were likely caused by external lifestyle issues (stress, birthday cake, etc).

Being a dude-goon, I also don't have any experience with a POP, but I think it would be great if you came back and shared your experience once you've started it.

This is reassuring. I know a lot of people who love birthday cake also love posting stuff on the internet. Thanks. I will certainly come back and post after my first few months with this pill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Panzer Skank posted:

This is super true and I will try to keep it in mind as hard as I can when anecdotal evidence gets to me. I figured this would be a good place for positive anecdotes to counteract google; posters in this thread seem like they have had every kind of experience possible. :)

This is reassuring. I know a lot of people who love birthday cake also love posting stuff on the internet. Thanks. I will certainly come back and post after my first few months with this pill.

That's good. :) I just remember the first time I was about to start taking the pill, I searched around online and scared myself a lot just reading all these side-effect horror stories so I thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

In any case, I hope the new pill works out for you!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Panzer Skank posted:

Does anyone have good experiences with progestin only pills they could tell me?

One thing to be prepared for: Even though estrogen can cause migraines, withdrawing it can also cause them. You may continue to get migraines for several months after you stop the Yasmin. When I went off the patch I had a migraine almost every day for almost 3 months. It loving sucked.

I don't have any experiences with POPs, but I am on another progestin only form of BC (Mirena IUD) and it has been wonderful for me. There are a few downsides/negative effects. Some of them are specific to the IUD, like random cramping that still occurs once in a while even after nearly 6 years of having an IUD. Some are more progestin specific, like some moderately increased acne. Some are things that I consider benefits, but others might consider drawbacks, like not having any real periods (my last one was more than 5.5 years ago). In general though, I have far fewer issues with my progestin only birth control than I ever did with combined hormonal contraceptives. I have gained weight, but that was a GOOD thing for me (I'm chronically underweight), and occurred because I was having fewer headaches.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I have a question about timing. Today I switched from the depo shot to Alese (a pill that uses estrogen, from what my gyno told me). My doctor warned me that I should take Alese at night, so I can sleep through any nausea if I get that as a symptom.

I was due to have my next shot on June 2, next Thursday. However, my doctor strongly emphasized that the absolute latest that I should start taking the Alese pill is Sunday, May 29. It's pretty bad timing, because I'm going to be out of at a Burning Man-type of event all of this weekend, and they're going to burn the effigy late Sunday night--and if I'm hoping to consistently take the pill at night, I think the burn would definitely throw a wrench in that. She also warned me that the pill will make some women feel nauseous and sick, and I'm kind of bummed I'm going to be having these side effects at my first ever burn.

Does anyone know why she told me that it has to be Sunday, especially considering that I'm still protected by Depo through Thursday? I mean, I'll do it if I have to, it just seems kind of arbitrary that I can't wait a day or something.

Panzer Skank posted:

Does anyone have good experiences with progestin only pills they could tell me? After what was going on with the Yasmin I'm pretty nervous about side effects from a new pill. Google keeps auto prompting "Nora-BE WEIGHT GAIN" over and over.

I've been researching birth control and weight gain myself, and as far as an I can tell, any hormonal birth control can have totally random effects on different women's weight. I spoke to my doctor about it today and she put me on a pill that uses a different hormone than what I normally use, but she warned me that it really varies woman to woman.

EDIT: That said, you should totally just ignore me if you find actual research or studies, rather than anecdotal evidence, especially since weight gain and birth control can really vary by individuals.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 26, 2011

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

Bagleworm posted:

Have you considered a hormonal IUD? The hormone dose is much lower than that in pills, so women generally experience fewer hormone-related side effects like depression, mood swings and changes in sex drive (they still happen though, but from what I've hears it's less frequent and less severe.) I believe the most common side effect is spotting or loss of periods and cramping, though with the hormonal IUD the cramping isn't as bad or common as it is for the non-hormonal IUD.

You can go right from the pill to a hormonal IUD with no break in hormones - just the lower dose. It might be something to look in to - have a talk with your doctor at least!

I had also considered this, but my doctor(s, I've seen a few) absolutely will not consider to give me a combined hormonal method of any sort because I'm over 35 and I smoke.

I am hating the pill - I've also had mood swings of varying craziness. I'm pretty sure it was partially responsible to the break up of a previous relationship. I've had to handle various life trials while I was off hormones, and did so in a relatively healthy fashion. These pills are just completely loving me up. I have not had a sexual urge for at least four months (since they stopped my periods). I really want to start dating again but my aversion to sex is preventing it - this is not me at all. I normally love sex.

I'm thinking I should come off it now and rely on condoms. I don't really want to do that though. A friend of a friend recently had a miscarriage due to a pre-menopausal pregnancy. I'm probably far off that sort of thing at the age of 39, but it is a worry for me. I do not want to get pregnant.

I think I'll probably come off the pill and rely on emergency contraception for any accidents. I really don't want to have to go cold turkey. I don't want to lose my hair again. It only just grew back after my illness about 18 months ago. It's got far thicker since I've been on the pill. UGH.

If my hair falls out again when I come off it and people (women, exclusively) comment on it, they're totally getting it in the ear. I am no shrinking violet, I'm currently hormonally unstable and I will not put up with it any more. I had lots of comments last time I lost my hair and the ignorance and astonishing insenstivity of people astounded me.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

I had also considered this, but my doctor(s, I've seen a few) absolutely will not consider to give me a combined hormonal method of any sort because I'm over 35 and I smoke.

The hormonal IUD is progestin only, not combined.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

If my hair falls out again when I come off it and people (women, exclusively) comment on it, they're totally getting it in the ear. I am no shrinking violet, I'm currently hormonally unstable and I will not put up with it any more. I had lots of comments last time I lost my hair and the ignorance and astonishing insenstivity of people astounded me.

That's awful that people made comments about your hair :( My mum lost a lot of her hair after some hormonal issues combined with stress, and it really affected her self-esteem - I'm glad you plan to tell people where to go, I would too.

Speaking of my mother, she started to go through menopause in her early 30's and had to have a full hystorectomy to make it stop. Does anyone know if that sort of thing is hereditary? I'm on BC right now, and I don't know if I want kids or not - but I worry sometimes that if I leave it too long, I'll hit 30 and my body will just go "Welp, too late, I'm not gonna let you make babies anymore anyway." :ohdear:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

legsarerequired posted:

I have a question about timing. Today I switched from the depo shot to Alese (a pill that uses estrogen, from what my gyno told me). My doctor warned me that I should take Alese at night, so I can sleep through any nausea if I get that as a symptom.

I was due to have my next shot on June 2, next Thursday. However, my doctor strongly emphasized that the absolute latest that I should start taking the Alese pill is Sunday, May 29. It's pretty bad timing, because I'm going to be out of at a Burning Man-type of event all of this weekend, and they're going to burn the effigy late Sunday night--and if I'm hoping to consistently take the pill at night, I think the burn would definitely throw a wrench in that. She also warned me that the pill will make some women feel nauseous and sick, and I'm kind of bummed I'm going to be having these side effects at my first ever burn.

Does anyone know why she told me that it has to be Sunday, especially considering that I'm still protected by Depo through Thursday? I mean, I'll do it if I have to, it just seems kind of arbitrary that I can't wait a day or something.

I've been researching birth control and weight gain myself, and as far as an I can tell, any hormonal birth control can have totally random effects on different women's weight. I spoke to my doctor about it today and she put me on a pill that uses a different hormone than what I normally use, but she warned me that it really varies woman to woman.

EDIT: That said, you should totally just ignore me if you find actual research or studies, rather than anecdotal evidence, especially since weight gain and birth control can really vary by individuals.

This is just my experience so take it for whatever it's worth. When I started the pill I took it at night and instead of sleeping through anything, I think it just gave the side effects time to kick in because I woke up feeling incredibly nauseous for about a week. I personally do better taking them around 4 or 5:00 PM, but that might vary for you. I'm not trying to get you to ignore your doctor's advice here. And if it makes you feel better, the nausea wore off after a few days really.

Most of the pills I've taken use Sunday as kind of the default "start day." For example I was advised to start my first pack of pills on the first Sunday after my period and the instructions in the package recommended it too. As for why Sunday, I always assumed it was to make the pill schedule easier to follow since Sunday is the beginning of the week and all that but I don't know for sure. I think you can start on other days of the week sometimes, but it sounds like your doctor might have had her reasons so you probably should ask them about it before you change anything around.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 26, 2011

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

legsarerequired posted:

On what date was your last injection (day/month)?

Are you still getting a period while on the Depo?

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Sorry if this was asked recently, but I'm kind of freaking out and not sure what's going on. I read through the OP and didn't see anything that I thought was completely related.
ANYWAY.
I've had a Mirena IUD for a little over 3 years now. The last time I had a period was in october of 2008. Since then, I have had no spotting or bleeding whatsoever, -ever-. This has been amazing.
However, I started getting UTI's all the time, which I thwarted with cranberry action. A few weeks ago, though, I thought I had gotten another one, so I went and peed in a cup at the doctors office. Despite having the urgency/frequency/pain when I peed, I apparently had no bacteria or anything abnormal in my pee at all. I chugged the cranberry like a champion and it mostly went away, but I still kind of feel "off" in regards to my urinary tract. The student healthcare center at my school is a bit lazy, though - they're always like "come back if it's still like this in a week".
Cut to today. Out of nowhere, I started bleeding (pretty much like a period, lots of nasty brown fun stuff followed by red blood). I haven't had rough sex lately or anything that I really think could cause bleeding. I started running lately, but I've always exercised, so I kind of doubt that is related. There has been no cramping at all, which is super abnormal for me - every single period I've ever had has had significant cramping happen beforehand, and during.
I haven't started any new medications or taken any drugs or anything like that.
I'm going to take a pregnancy test as soon as I need to pee, just to rule that out.
:(

EDIT: not pregnant (thank god). it seems to have slowed a bit and is mostly just brown.

akulol fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 27, 2011

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

DRP Solved! posted:

On what date was your last injection (day/month)?

Are you still getting a period while on the Depo?

My last injection was on March 2, and my periods completely stopped after the second injection.

I decided to go ahead and take the pills tonight, so the symptoms have a couple of days to improve before the burn. Felt kind of nauseous, but it wasn't too bad.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

akulol posted:

Sorry if this was asked recently, but I'm kind of freaking out and not sure what's going on. I read through the OP and didn't see anything that I thought was completely related.

I've heard it theorized - though never confirmed - that IUDs can increase the frequency of UTIs. I've found that once I got my first UTI, it didn't take much for me to get another, almost as if there's still some bacteria just hanging around ready to strike. I'll get a mild one if I don't pee right away after sex, for example.

UTIs can be triggered by a lot of things - holding in your urine, wiping back-to-front, wearing thongs or very tight underwear/pants, not peeing after sex. When avoiding all these triggers, I haven't had a UTI; if I forget to pee after sex and feel one coming on, I just drink more water and cranberry juice/pills and it clears up...

If you get them a lot, or feel like they never quite clear up, you could probably get a prescription for antibiotics. Generally, I avoid antibiotics unless I really need them, because they often give me a yeast infection. Aurgh.

As for unexpected bleeding, sometimes that happens with no apparent cause. Usually it's caused by something like stress. As long as you're not getting any severe pain, there's probably nothing to worry about.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Bagleworm posted:

I've heard it theorized - though never confirmed - that IUDs can increase the frequency of UTIs. I've found that once I got my first UTI, it didn't take much for me to get another, almost as if there's still some bacteria just hanging around ready to strike. I'll get a mild one if I don't pee right away after sex, for example.

UTIs can be triggered by a lot of things - holding in your urine, wiping back-to-front, wearing thongs or very tight underwear/pants, not peeing after sex. When avoiding all these triggers, I haven't had a UTI; if I forget to pee after sex and feel one coming on, I just drink more water and cranberry juice/pills and it clears up...

If you get them a lot, or feel like they never quite clear up, you could probably get a prescription for antibiotics. Generally, I avoid antibiotics unless I really need them, because they often give me a yeast infection. Aurgh.

As for unexpected bleeding, sometimes that happens with no apparent cause. Usually it's caused by something like stress. As long as you're not getting any severe pain, there's probably nothing to worry about.

I make sure I pee after sex and I don't wear anything super tight, and I wipe the right way. The first time I got a UTI was when I started dating my current bf. I had the IUD for a year and change with my last bf and had no indications of a UTI, ever. My current boyfriend is possibly the most hygienic I have ever seen, so I can't really explain the UTI frequency. I've pretty much gotten in the habit of taking cranberry pills after we have sex every time.
I've gone to the doctor twice with UTI symptoms and both times my pee was bacteria free. The doctor seemed about as confused as I am. :sigh:
The bleeding seems to have died down a lot, but it's still mostly brown. Hm...

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

akulol posted:

I make sure I pee after sex and I don't wear anything super tight, and I wipe the right way. The first time I got a UTI was when I started dating my current bf. I had the IUD for a year and change with my last bf and had no indications of a UTI, ever. My current boyfriend is possibly the most hygienic I have ever seen, so I can't really explain the UTI frequency. I've pretty much gotten in the habit of taking cranberry pills after we have sex every time.
I've gone to the doctor twice with UTI symptoms and both times my pee was bacteria free. The doctor seemed about as confused as I am. :sigh:
The bleeding seems to have died down a lot, but it's still mostly brown. Hm...

If you're coming back negative on the tests, it could be something else. While UTI is the most common, there are other things that have the same symptoms. At this point it might be a good idea to get a doctor to run some more thorough tests.

(I doubt the bleeding and UTI symptoms are connected... weird things happen with hormones)

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

Ceridwen posted:

The hormonal IUD is progestin only, not combined.

Yes, the thing is I seem to react so badly to hormones I really don't want to be on them. I'm 38, I can't afford the 3 months waiting time to see if I'm no longer insane. I split up with my last boyfriend 5 months ago, but I really haven't had an inkling to find someone knew. Don't get me wrong, I was over him the day I dumped him. I only just realised how badly the pill affects me now. My anxiety level is so crippling I've had time off work. My libido has completely vanished. I had similar problems the last time I was on it.

It's such a shame there's not been a more ergonomic diaphragm design since I first started having sex a billion years ago. I think it would be perfect for me.

Fanky Malloons posted:

Thank you!

Yar, I'm kind of a ferocious person but watch all the ladies swarm around you when you have a medical problem. I hate it and would mostly prefer to be left alone. Semi bitchy comments are never welcome. Does nobody know what empathy is anymore? I swear I work with a bunch of insensitive assholes.

It's not a happy story but is it commonly known amongst anyone here that you can experience a spike of fertility just before menopause? My anecdotals:

1. One colleague who was one of a twin born to his mother when she was in her late 40s.
2. Friend of a friend had a miscarriage at the age of 56. It was an upsetting time for them because they decided that they never wanted to have childen. However, having found out she had been pregnant, she was incredibly sad and would have actually kept the child.
3. My colleague (50ish) has been having mystery back pain. Doc insisted she get a pregnancy test.

All of this is weird to me. Nobody told us about this!

akulol posted:

Undiagnosises
Is it possibly allergy to condoms (if you are using them), detergent or any other soaps or unguents you are using? I did not get brown discharge when I had this problem but it did account for a fair few of my problems and I certainly did get discharge for a couple of them. It usually started about 3-4 months after using something new. Funny, I swear my pussy is more allergic to anything than any other part of my body. It completely stopped once I finally narrowed it down (pain in the arse that was). I also got tons of negs on std/dti testing.

Edit: my last two examples on the pre-menopausal spike happened within the last 6 months.

VoodooSchmoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 27, 2011

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

Yes, the thing is I seem to react so badly to hormones I really don't want to be on them. I'm 38, I can't afford the 3 months waiting time to see if I'm no longer insane. I split up with my last boyfriend 5 months ago, but I really haven't had an inkling to find someone knew. Don't get me wrong, I was over him the day I dumped him. I only just realised how badly the pill affects me now. My anxiety level is so crippling I've had time off work. My libido has completely vanished. I had similar problems the last time I was on it.

It's such a shame there's not been a more ergonomic diaphragm design since I first started having sex a billion years ago. I think it would be perfect for me.

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but do you want children at all in the future? If not, there's always the option of something like a tubal ligation or Essure. Both of those are non-hormonal if a permanent form of birth control is an option for you. And you might have better luck convincing a doctor to do it since you're in your thirties.

I'm having a hard time coming up with any completely non-hormonal methods other than what you mentioned already unfortunately. :(

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Bagleworm posted:

If you're coming back negative on the tests, it could be something else. While UTI is the most common, there are other things that have the same symptoms. At this point it might be a good idea to get a doctor to run some more thorough tests.

(I doubt the bleeding and UTI symptoms are connected... weird things happen with hormones)
Yeah, I've kind of figured this was going to have to happen. :sigh: I'm kind of scared of what else it could be.

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

Is it possibly allergy to condoms (if you are using them), detergent or any other soaps or unguents you are using? I did not get brown discharge when I had this problem but it did account for a fair few of my problems and I certainly did get discharge for a couple of them. It usually started about 3-4 months after using something new. Funny, I swear my pussy is more allergic to anything than any other part of my body. It completely stopped once I finally narrowed it down (pain in the arse that was). I also got tons of negs on std/dti testing.

We don't use condoms, and I did -just- (days ago) switch soaps, but I don't think that's ever caused an issue before. Then again, I did use the same stuff for years. I'll try not using it for a bit and see what happens.
I got tested for gonorrhea/the clap when I first started dating my bf, so I doubt I have either of those... but I guess theres always potential for something else :(
I have to go to a doctor for eye issues and for wrist issues already... it seems like everything breaks at the same time! Stupid vagina.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
My girlfriend is wondering how long after she takes out her Nuvaring will her period start? She had a very irregular cycle before hand, does that play a part in how long it would take?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Harry Privates posted:

My girlfriend is wondering how long after she takes out her Nuvaring will her period start? She had a very irregular cycle before hand, does that play a part in how long it would take?

It can start anywhere from later in the day to a few days later. Her previous irregular cycle shouldn't really affect her cycle on birth control since the ring's hormones [edit:] ARE dictating when she has her period. Because of this, the ring should also help make her cycle more regular. Has she used other hormonal birth control before?

DRP Solved! fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 28, 2011

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

DRP Solved! posted:

It can start anywhere from later in the day to a few days later. Her previous irregular cycle shouldn't really affect her cycle on birth control since the ring's hormones are not dictating when she has her period. Because of this, the ring should also help make her cycle more regular. Has she used other hormonal birth control before?

No she hasn't used any hormonal before. She's nervous because she took the ring out Tuesday night and still hasn't had her period. We use condoms too, so it is highly unlikely she is pregnant. I was just curious I read that some people it takes up to 5 days after taking the ring out for them to have a period.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Harry Privates posted:

No she hasn't used any hormonal before. She's nervous because she took the ring out Tuesday night and still hasn't had her period. We use condoms too, so it is highly unlikely she is pregnant. I was just curious I read that some people it takes up to 5 days after taking the ring out for them to have a period.

It's not unusual for there to be a lag-time between removing the ring and getting a period. As long as the ring was used appropriately, I wouldn't worry too much about pregnancy. You can always take a pregnancy test to give you peace of mind. Make sure that she knows that she should put a new ring in next Tuesday whether or not she gets a period so that she stays properly protected.

heyniceperro
Mar 22, 2007

You're the one for me, fatty.
My girlfriend was supposed to start a new cycle of Avian today. When she went to renew her prescription it turned out it had expired a few weeks ago. We've called around and can't get a new prescription until tuesday. What should we do? Get some plan-b? We had sex on thursday.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

heyniceperro posted:

My girlfriend was supposed to start a new cycle of Avian today. When she went to renew her prescription it turned out it had expired a few weeks ago. We've called around and can't get a new prescription until tuesday. What should we do? Get some plan-b? We had sex on thursday.

Am I right in saying that you had sex last Thursday when she was on her placebo/no-pill, or is she stacking pills to avoid having a period? In either case, she shouldn't have ovulated because of the Aviane, so she shouldn't need to use Plan B for Thursday. You two should use a condom or other form of backup protection for any sex from here-on and should continue doing so for 7 days after she restarts the Aviane.

heyniceperro
Mar 22, 2007

You're the one for me, fatty.
Right, she's been on her placebo/no-pills for the past week. I thought sperm can live for at least a few days? Is this an issue?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

heyniceperro posted:

Right, she's been on her placebo/no-pills for the past week. I thought sperm can live for at least a few days? Is this an issue?

Sperm stay alive for a maximum of 5 days. Ovulation usually occurs around 2 weeks after the onset of a woman's period, give or take a couple days based on the duration of the woman's cycle.

Miss Michi
Jul 10, 2008
It has been four days since I had a Paragard copper IUD inserted, and the blood flow has been steadily increasing ever since. The strange thing is that my period had ended only three days prior to the insertion. There isn't very much pain involved at this point--just some slight cramping. The doctor did say that there would be a little bleeding, but does the IUD usually induce full-on periods like this when it is first put in? Why would that be possible with a non-hormonal birth control method?

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Miss Michi posted:

It has been four days since I had a Paragard copper IUD inserted, and the blood flow has been steadily increasing ever since. The strange thing is that my period had ended only three days prior to the insertion. There isn't very much pain involved at this point--just some slight cramping. The doctor did say that there would be a little bleeding, but does the IUD usually induce full-on periods like this when it is first put in? Why would that be possible with a non-hormonal birth control method?

You just shoved a foreign metal object into your uterus. It's understandable that it's a little cranky about that. :P
(I also got a "period" after my IUD insertion. It's normal, as long as there isn't severe pain!)

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Miss Michi posted:

Bagelworm said it right. Remember that copper makes blood flow, so your uterus is going to be a bit overexcited for the first while. It took my body about 10 months to get back to normal. And the first 3 months were borderline panicky for me. Your body is going to do weird things concerning your period for the first bit, accept that. So long as there isn't any pain you can't rationalize to yourself there's no reason to worry. There will be extra cramping, there will be extra bleeding.
But then 5 years worry free sex! :pervert:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

SilverSliver posted:

But then 5 years worry free sex! :pervert:

10 years! :pervert:

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
I have a question about the patch. OP says that the patch is the highest dose of estrogen of any hormonal birth control. I haven't heard any horror stories from my research but I have a super shallow concern: is it gonna make my boobs grow? Because I already have monsterboobs and I would really like to avoid them getting any bigger. I ask because both of my sisters complained that their boobs got bigger when they went on birth control pills, and I'm worried that, since the patch is an even higher dose, it would affect me the same way. Again, apologies for the ridiculously shallow question. :blush:

Also, am I going to have any trouble getting birth control from Planned Parenthood because I'm underage? (I'm 17 and in California, if it makes any difference)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Haha, if it does, it probably won't be a huge change. But it's individual to the person. Worst case scenario you can just quit using it and they'll return to normal.

And in fact no~ PP is there to help you out. :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Budget Bears posted:

I have a question about the patch. OP says that the patch is the highest dose of estrogen of any hormonal birth control. I haven't heard any horror stories from my research but I have a super shallow concern: is it gonna make my boobs grow? Because I already have monsterboobs and I would really like to avoid them getting any bigger. I ask because both of my sisters complained that their boobs got bigger when they went on birth control pills, and I'm worried that, since the patch is an even higher dose, it would affect me the same way. Again, apologies for the ridiculously shallow question. :blush:

Also, am I going to have any trouble getting birth control from Planned Parenthood because I'm underage? (I'm 17 and in California, if it makes any difference)

It's pretty unpredictable and varies from person to person, so nobody can say for sure what will or won't happen with your boobs on the patch. Also, don't feel bad about "shallow" questions - it's perfectly all right to be concerned about any changes to your body a medication might cause, even cosmetic ones! :)

If you want a lower dose of hormones but still want something you don't have to deal with everyday, NuvaRing might be something to ask about if it's available. But you have to be comfortable with insertion and all that.

I don't know how it works in California, but I don't think your age should be a problem. You could always call ahead or check the website if you know which individual clinic you're going to. I know my local Planned Parenthood never seemed to have an issue with serving underage patients at least.

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
I just got a Mirena IUD put in on Friday. Things have seemed pretty normal - somewhat painful insertion, cramping for the first day or two, and now by day 4 I'm feeling pretty fine and dandy..... except that since Friday night I have been having CRAZY night sweats. Every night I wake up in the middle of the night drenched, head to toe in sweat, my clothes, the bed, the sheets, the blankets.

Now I've been reading all the negative scary stuff about Mirena on the net (yes, I know it skews negative), and people going through early menopause or having crazy thyroid problems and it is freaking me out. I think I'll give a call to Planned Parenthood tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.

I'm hoping that it just stops and my body adjusts because I've been psyched about getting an IUD for yeeeears. On the other hand, I'm beginning to consider how crazy IUDs are... shove a piece of junk in your uterus and confound your body so much that you can't become pregnant.

I was initially considering the Paragard because no hormones and 10 years, but then the doctor was like more bleeding vs. no bleeding and I jumped at no bleeding. Hmmm.??

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

fanpantstic posted:

I just got a Mirena IUD put in on Friday. Things have seemed pretty normal - somewhat painful insertion, cramping for the first day or two, and now by day 4 I'm feeling pretty fine and dandy..... except that since Friday night I have been having CRAZY night sweats. Every night I wake up in the middle of the night drenched, head to toe in sweat, my clothes, the bed, the sheets, the blankets.

Now I've been reading all the negative scary stuff about Mirena on the net (yes, I know it skews negative), and people going through early menopause or having crazy thyroid problems and it is freaking me out. I think I'll give a call to Planned Parenthood tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.

I'm hoping that it just stops and my body adjusts because I've been psyched about getting an IUD for yeeeears. On the other hand, I'm beginning to consider how crazy IUDs are... shove a piece of junk in your uterus and confound your body so much that you can't become pregnant.

I was initially considering the Paragard because no hormones and 10 years, but then the doctor was like more bleeding vs. no bleeding and I jumped at no bleeding. Hmmm.??

Have you been on hormonal birth control before? What kind?

(Also where I live at least it has been horribly hot since about Thursday. How is the weather where you are? Is it possible that you are making a connection between reaction to the weather and your IUD? Just checking.)

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.

Kerfuffle posted:

Haha, if it does, it probably won't be a huge change. But it's individual to the person. Worst case scenario you can just quit using it and they'll return to normal.

And in fact no~ PP is there to help you out. :)

NaturalLow posted:

It's pretty unpredictable and varies from person to person, so nobody can say for sure what will or won't happen with your boobs on the patch. Also, don't feel bad about "shallow" questions - it's perfectly all right to be concerned about any changes to your body a medication might cause, even cosmetic ones! :)

If you want a lower dose of hormones but still want something you don't have to deal with everyday, NuvaRing might be something to ask about if it's available. But you have to be comfortable with insertion and all that.

I don't know how it works in California, but I don't think your age should be a problem. You could always call ahead or check the website if you know which individual clinic you're going to. I know my local Planned Parenthood never seemed to have an issue with serving underage patients at least.

Thanks guys, this puts my mind at ease. What's the process for stopping hormonal birth control if you don't like it? Like if I decide after a couple of months that I don't like the patch, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to switch to something else?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
It varies, it's usually explained within the information packet that you get. If you look up the birth control on google, it probably has its own website that deals with commonly questions like that. I think it's typically switching to your new birth control after your off week of your old one is finished. Some women also like to just stop using the old one entirely first for a month or so.

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Have you been on hormonal birth control before? What kind?

(Also where I live at least it has been horribly hot since about Thursday. How is the weather where you are? Is it possible that you are making a connection between reaction to the weather and your IUD? Just checking.)

I was on oral BCP for like 7 years, Kariva and then Yaz. It has definitely not been hot here. Oregon. Rain. Brrrr.

Last night was not so crazy bad so I'll give it a few days then if it evens out just bring it up at the follow-up appointment I guess.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So I've been on the ring for the past ten months and it was fine initially, but lately my moods have been crazy as gently caress (up/down and the slightest provocation) and I'll just start crying out of nowhere. Before the ring I couldn't cry if I tried to.

So, has anyone here who had issues with the ring affecting them like this had luck with any other hormonal birth control? I figured since the ring was the lowest dose I'd have the least issues with it but this is getting kind of intolerable. I was thinking about trying the patch, but if it's just going to get worse (since it's a higher dose, but maybe not the same kind of hormones?) I'll keep the ring. I know the hormones affect everyone differently so I'm hoping maybe the patch will work out. Blah.

I have a hard time keeping track of pill times and all that I can't afford to make a mistake with BC, so I need something low maintenance.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

bobula posted:

So I've been on the ring for the past ten months and it was fine initially, but lately my moods have been crazy as gently caress (up/down and the slightest provocation) and I'll just start crying out of nowhere. Before the ring I couldn't cry if I tried to.

So, has anyone here who had issues with the ring affecting them like this had luck with any other hormonal birth control? I figured since the ring was the lowest dose I'd have the least issues with it but this is getting kind of intolerable. I was thinking about trying the patch, but if it's just going to get worse (since it's a higher dose, but maybe not the same kind of hormones?) I'll keep the ring. I know the hormones affect everyone differently so I'm hoping maybe the patch will work out. Blah.

I have a hard time keeping track of pill times and all that I can't afford to make a mistake with BC, so I need something low maintenance.

How long after you started using the ring did you notice these crying spells? People will often blame "Hormones!!!" as the cause of a new problem, but keep in mind that the association could be completely coincidental. Are there any new stresses in your life? Any personal or family history of depression or any other mood disorders? Mental health disorders (e.g. depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, etc) affect 1 in 5 people every year, but it's often overlooked.

I hope that didn't scare you, but the ring is probably not to blame. Talk to your doctor about your issues with your mood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

bobula posted:

I got spells of weepiness that coincided with my Depo cycles. Not sure if the hormone between Depo and the ring are the same but your problem could be tied to the birth control.

I also had a problem with pill responsibility so I figured that being a wackadoo was worth 3 months of not having to worry about getting pregnant. I put up with it for 3 years before I took a break from birth control (and sex). When I looked into birth control again, my doctor talked me into Implanon and I've been super happy with it.

• Locked thread