Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
My 3-4-5 hitters are Willie, Willie and Willie.

This season will indeed own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

EvilBeard posted:

League first what?

assuming CGSHO.
Yep. Nobody else has thrown one yet, there've only been 5 CGs and that's the only shutout.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

9 wins in a row in Two Man Band.

:smug:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Heads up to anyone who wanted to participate last time:

quote:

Coming in June... WIS Championship 2011

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

hmmmm, I... ehmmmmmm

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

My Rule V offense is so incredibly bad and I really can't explain why.

Look at Bobby Abreu. LOOK AT HIM.

Every one of my hitters except Beltran and Piazza are on pace to set a bottom three worst performance in their league history. Abreu and Giles are pacing to shatter their worst.

It's still really early but this start has basically dug me a hole I'm not going to climb out of. My pitching has been solid but it doesn't matter if I score -3 runs per game.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I'm not sure if this was the best or worst idea ever

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The only way that could have been better would be if you needed the 23-run 9th to win.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Oh my goodness

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

The best game that ever was or ever will be.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

The only way that could have been better would be if you needed the 23-run 9th to win.

I'm the team with Babe Ruth

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I dunno if that was the best game, because I just took a 50 run shellacking at the hands of Mickey Mantle.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Check out the player of the game. This wasn't my game, but someone pointed it out and it cracked me up. Had never seen that before.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Haha, that's awesome. I've seen "Player X Gets Shelled" for PotG before but not that.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

nasboat posted:

Check out the player of the game. This wasn't my game, but someone pointed it out and it cracked me up. Had never seen that before.

He looks so happy about it, too.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Missed the Mordecai playoffs because of tie breakers :argh:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

After starting 2-6 in two-man band, I'm really liking team Pedro/Cronin bouncing back with an 11-3 streak. Pedro's runs allowed and WHIP are ridiculously good compared to league average, and Cronin's doing his part in the team only allowing 27 unearned runs through 22 games.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Now this, this is my kind of game.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

drat you, AV. I didn't think building a Macho Man team would be so tough. I have to shave a lot of salary.

:mad:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Here's my Coors team. I'm going to add 2 more 200k relievers, which would bring me up to 1500 IP, which is probably not enough for Coors. I think i'm going to have to rework this.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Here's my Coors team.

This is going into an open league?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

This is going into an open league?

For the macho man league.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Not surprisingly my Coors team in the OL sucks, the D-Train has a 2.3 WHIP and more importantly has sucked at the plate. What's really pissing me off though is I've actually lost a bunch of games due to poor hitting. Only '79 Kingman is really doing very well, and even that isn't anything exceptional for Coors. I wanted to lose every game 20-15, not 10-3!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Another Macho Man team try. Yes, that's right, I did just make a Coors team where the pitching is more expensive :v:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Glorious doubles :allears:

Of course I'm in second place because DOMINICAN BOGGS exists

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

He's in a mini-slump right now, but 1923 Cy Williams is destroying baseballs in the last place team league. .699 SLG, .732 not too long ago. http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/playerprofile.asp?ID=32026765&pl=False&type=2

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Macho Man team. Playing in Tiger Stadium. Added two scrub pitchers for some garbage innings.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 27, 2011

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I'm interested to see how many teams have Fred Lynn, Greenberg/Koufax and Killebrew/Snider.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Ivan Drago posted:

I'm interested to see how many teams have Fred Lynn, Greenberg/Koufax and Killebrew/Snider.

My team has none of these guys, although I did consider using Lynn and Snider.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

The only one I have is Snider, and it's a bench bat and not a starter.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would never use Koufax, but I did consider using Joe DiMaggio or Yogi Berra as Italians.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

EvilBeard posted:

Macho Man team. Playing in Tiger Stadium. Added two scrub pitchers for some garbage innings.

I think we're all going to end up with a team like this. I just put one together before having looked at your post, and we're practically identical.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

ArtVandelay posted:

I think we're all going to end up with a team like this. I just put one together before having looked at your post, and we're practically identical.

oh gently caress. It's doomed to failure now.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
FWIW I have exactly two player seasons shared with that team and one of them is a reliever. I wouldn't be too worried about diversity of the player pool.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This is what I have so far. I may have to change a person or 2, probably change HoJo to Bip to save some dough.

Edit: yes, I had to draft Lacock!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AV, not only are our credits in but they're global credits which means I can use saved points for Amazon cards and stuff like that instead of HBD teams :woop:

Also bragpost from before spending any of it:

oldfan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 27, 2011

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Ivan Drago posted:

I have a late season Lynn as a 4th OF because my 1978 Gorman has a smallish number of PAs

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

AV, not only are our credits in but they're global credits which means I can use saved points for Amazon cards and stuff like that instead of HBD teams :woop:

Also bragpost from before spending any of it:

What's the secret to earning credits and free seasons? Aside from building winning teams of course. I've done reasonably well in both HBD and in sim leagues but it seems the biggest rewards I get are a couple bucks off my next season. Are open leagues the key?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Someone get on Live so I can try out this team against someone other than the 99 Spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

bragpost from before spending any of it:

What up

All of that is before the Best Team league, the WS Winners League and my Yankees who are in the world series (though down 3-1) wrap up.

Ivan Drago posted:

Are open leagues the key?

Winning WS are pretty big. jeff and I have also had some pretty big boosts between his winning a ToC and our showings in the WISC and now the franchise tourney.

• Locked thread