Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
My librarian wife reads a librarian comic, and they have a book club blog thing with recommendations, and guess what's there.
http://www.unshelved.com/bookclub/2011-5-27#HomeForScaredPeople

Reminder of an alt-text quote:
Seriously why did people ever bother reading this comic strip. This is like watching a guy who needs new tires on his car throw new tires at his car from ten feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I still check Achewood.com from time to time. I long ago let my Fanflow subscription lapse.

Such a shame that the greatest webcomic ever produced is going out with such a whimper. It would've been better to end on a high, like after the Great Outdoor Fight maybe. I feel like it's really been limping along a lot of the time ever since then.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
"whimper"

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05142007

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
I made "Perfect Oven Fries Every Time" last night. They came out quite good, but I've got to complain about how complicated the procedure is. Unnecessarily so, I would say.

Taking the potatoes out, turning up the heat, then putting the potatoes back in seems like a silly step. I question why it was necessary.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

paint dry posted:

I still check Achewood.com from time to time. I long ago let my Fanflow subscription lapse.

Such a shame that the greatest webcomic ever produced is going out with such a whimper. It would've been better to end on a high, like after the Great Outdoor Fight maybe. I feel like it's really been limping along a lot of the time ever since then.

Are you kidding? There was years and years of good Achewood after that. And even of the very last comics...I guess the only "bad" one I can think of is the one with the Justin Bieber joke. The high school arc was great, it was just slow.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

McGravin posted:

I made "Perfect Oven Fries Every Time" last night. They came out quite good, but I've got to complain about how complicated the procedure is. Unnecessarily so, I would say.

Taking the potatoes out, turning up the heat, then putting the potatoes back in seems like a silly step. I question why it was necessary.

If you do it all at the high temp, the outsides will burn before the insides are done. Do it all on the low temp, and they'll just be... bleh. Proper french fries are fried in two oil temps for that exact reason. :science:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

gently caress YOU NOW I'M STUCK READING THE ENTIRE WEDDING ARC

Why was Achewood so good, and now completely gone? I wish I could somehow buy a Marvel/DC Comics "Omnibus" version of Achewood.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Doc Faustus posted:

If you do it all at the high temp, the outsides will burn before the insides are done. Do it all on the low temp, and they'll just be... bleh. Proper french fries are fried in two oil temps for that exact reason. :science:

He's asking why he had to take the fries OUT to turn up the heat.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skyscraper posted:

He's asking why he had to take the fries OUT to turn up the heat.

Going slowly from one temperature to the other will likely also overcook them.

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
Boy is it frustrating seeing all these recipes and knowing there's more and with Achewood style writing somewhere in the world, but not having ANYWHERE to buy it from, even used. I just want the book, name your price :negative:

also, please post Neapolitan Shooter :(

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Jesus H. Christ posted:

Boy is it frustrating seeing all these recipes and knowing there's more and with Achewood style writing somewhere in the world, but not having ANYWHERE to buy it from, even used. I just want the book, name your price :negative:

also, please post Neapolitan Shooter :(

If only there had been 100,000 guys like you all ordering stuff from the store, maybe we'd still have Achewood. :argh:

Also wasn't the Neapolitan Shooter in some of the other services, like serializer? It's not in my cookbook.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Zefiel posted:

If only there had been 100,000 guys like you all ordering stuff from the store, maybe we'd still have Achewood. :argh:

Also wasn't the Neapolitan Shooter in some of the other services, like serializer? It's not in my cookbook.

It's actually in the comments here on the original Neapolitan shooter comic: http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua1Hd3jk (long post a little ways down by Hellayellin)

Edit: there's another version here that looks pretty identical: http://www.chefalaporte.com/2010/11/neapolitan-shooter/

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Neapolitan Shooter is super tasty and not too difficult to make. It is a layered concoction of various liqueurs:

First, Kahlua (or I actually prefer Bailey's) goes into the glass. Next, use the flipped-spoon trick to add a layer of Tequila Rose strawberry cream liqueur. Then a layer of heavy cream, and finally a touch of coconut rum. Ideally, you'll have a 1:1:1 ratio between Kahlua, Tequila Rose, and (cream + rum) and they should layer nicely if you do the flipped-spoon trick carefully. The rum should come to rest between the Tequila Rose and the cream.

And it should look like this.

It might take some practice to get it perfect, but the nice part is drinking all your mistakes.

Edit: the name is "shooter" and some of these recipe sites say it should be shot, but I don't mind making a larger glass and turning it into a sippin' drink. Just know the layers will get messed up as you drink it.

McGravin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 31, 2011

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Zefiel posted:

That was his problem? Not enough money?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Zefiel posted:

I doubt it; I got the distinct feeling that he just burned out whatever created achewood.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

yeah, I was mostly jokin'. That said, I had the distinct idea that the Neapolitan recipe had been posted by Onstad himself, I don't know if in his voice or in something like Ray's Place. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Also I recall someone losing money on books despite people ordering, and consequently having to sell their eyeballs. So more orders might not have been the solution to anything.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Locus posted:

Also I recall someone losing money on books despite people ordering, and consequently having to sell their eyeballs. So more orders might not have been the solution to anything.

And Onstad hasn't even fulfilled a shitload of orders, according to people in this very thread.

When the dude didn't even get product to his paying customers, something's up.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

rotinaj posted:

..... something's up.

It must be his bank account balance, because it's certainly not his sense of shame.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It must be his bank account balance, because it's certainly not his sense of shame.

Ah, it burns, it burns.

But yes, Onstand left because he didn't want to do Achewood anymore, not because it lacked popularity or wasn't profitable. He also left in the most dickish way possible, taking money he shouldn't have and without bothering to just be honest with the fans and do a goodbye, it was fun, thanks for all the fish.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Still, there's something beautifully appropriate in the way that, as soon as goons accepted the comic as being a gone thing, nearly all discussion turned to food. And alcohol. That is a special thing.

Also, goddamn it whoever posted the link to Onstad's codeine cough syrup comic, now I'm going to be trawling through the archives. One. More. Time.

Djolly
May 4, 2011

war. on drugs.

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, it burns, it burns.

But yes, Onstand left because he didn't want to do Achewood anymore, not because it lacked popularity or wasn't profitable. He also left in the most dickish way possible, taking money he shouldn't have and without bothering to just be honest with the fans and do a goodbye, it was fun, thanks for all the fish.

It's kind of the perfect goodbye for the best webcomic to date. Webcomics end in fire and brimstone, hurt feelings and murky scandal. It is the internet way.

A Tasty Burger
Feb 14, 2007

TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION
Well since I guess I can post a couple scanned pages then here is this, these are the best cookies/burgers

Oh also sorry to people who PMed me, I forgot and the forums don't even tell you when you have them except from like the index and who even GOES there anymore really

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The Flavor Burger is probably my favorite page in there, I've been cooking all my burgers like that ever since buying the book. The Galaxy Nachos has also become my house's standard food for any sports or movie nights.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hm, mustard in the burgers. Interesting, I'll try putting some of my mustard in next time I make myself some burgers.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

That's similar to maid-rites, except those are loose meat sandwiches.

Basic recipe for maid-rites: brown some loose ground beef, then add in mustard, sugar, pepper, and half a can of beer. Simmer until the liquid has thickened to a sauce.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I guess there's a new chapbook thing up today. Does anybody read those? Any clues as to what Onstad is up to nowadays?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The only people who read those are people who like uninteresting things.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Reading the chapbooks is like gnawing a paper towel that was used to wipe up some fine cognac.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I made the Flavor Burgers tonight and they were incredible. A slightly more useful set of proportions if anyone wants:

500g/16 oz. Ground Beef
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 tablespoons Yellow Mustard
85g/3 oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Dash of Salt

Split into 8 small patties, smash and quickly cook on a hot griddle.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I made the cookies yesterday. They're really good.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Nicely done :golfclap:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

rotinaj posted:

gently caress YOU NOW I'M STUCK READING THE ENTIRE WEDDING ARC

Why was Achewood so good, and now completely gone? I wish I could somehow buy a Marvel/DC Comics "Omnibus" version of Achewood.

The worst part about the wedding arc is how it's so happy and funny and even a little hopeful, and then...Nope, Roast Beef's always going to be miserable, and now he's going to drag Molly down with him!

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Chibs posted:

hahahaha holy poo poo, this is excellent

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Chibs posted:

Wouldn't we be the visitors?

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Chibs posted:

That is one well-made :iceburn:

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

quote:

Achewood re-arises! Nice Pete, Cornelius. 43pg chapbook. Just for subscribers now, feel terrible, but need the income.

quote:

Seriously, it costs less than an ironic PBR tallboy to subscribe to content that will take a month to read. http://t.co/eD7Fsz0 ACHEWOOD FTW
yuk

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
I'd be more interested if the first chapbook didn't read like a suicide note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Hoover Dam posted:

I'd be more interested if the first chapbook didn't read like a suicide note.

I have no interested in the chapbook, but the Cornelius and Nice Pete text pieces are almost always good. Has anyone re-subscribed and read them? Are they good or mailed in?