Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
The irony is totally not worth the price. It's also hard to take an act seriously when they do crap like that - notice he's playing on the floor rather than a raised stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CalvinDooglas posted:

The irony is totally not worth the price. It's also hard to take an act seriously when they do crap like that - notice he's playing on the floor rather than a raised stage.

Uhhh Billy Idol???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-pvtm-QNWk

The Vandals??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPTxoKG-rY

Linkin Park?????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhZ3KWgMATA

Dude, I'm taking all of these guys HELLA seriously right now. And you don't get much more metal than Linkin Park

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

baka kaba posted:

Uhhh Billy Idol???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-pvtm-QNWk

The Vandals??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPTxoKG-rY

Linkin Park?????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhZ3KWgMATA

Dude, I'm taking all of these guys HELLA seriously right now. And you don't get much more metal than Linkin Park

I didn't realize you were being sarcastic until the halfway through your post. I like Billy Idol. :(

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

CalvinDooglas posted:

I'm pretty sure that's on a (tiny) raised stage, I'd recognize the lovely rug at the Middle East Upstairs stage from anywhere.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Epi Lepi posted:

I didn't realize you were being sarcastic until the halfway through your post. I like Billy Idol. :(

You know Billy's the one who bought that in the first place.

"'Ere mate, I'll have one o' them for me band"

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

CalvinDooglas posted:

Some groups aren't very worried or concerned over being taken seriously. Is that guitar expensive? I could've sworn I saw it before for not more than 100 bucks. I think the Hello Kitty guitar is dumb personally, just because it's so... obvious.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Will playing in Drop D screw me over in the long run? I can't tell if it's musical elitism or if there is a danger to my future development by playing in it. It does seem way easier to write neat sounding riffs when playing in Drop D.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Drop D isn't what you want to learn with, and to be honest it will discredit you if you are writing generic rock songs. You can learn some awesome open chord variations and there are legitimately good sounds that can be found there but if you are playing lazy crap coz it's easy to get a heavier sound, or like bands with inane 3 or 4 word names (this of the that, that before this, etc) you deserve to be mocked.

I'll forgive drop d if you sound like the bad brains but not if you sound like the deftones.

If you want a deeper sound an axe down a full/half step sounds better, changing you're levels or distortion type, or you need to try playing something with humbuckers. Just my opinion after 15+ years the first 5 or so spent trying to play the fastest heaviest exploited++ type punk metal.

Edit: I'm by no means a tech, but if you feel like it's a shortcut, or easier that way, remember it will come through in the sound. There is a lot of subtleties you pick up in your attack when you do it the hard way.

revolther fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 25, 2011

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

revolther posted:

Drop D isn't what you want to learn with, and to be honest it will discredit you if you are writing generic rock songs. You can learn some awesome open chord variations and there are legitimately good sounds that can be found there but if you are playing lazy crap coz it's easy to get a heavier sound, or like bands with inane 3 or 4 word names (this of the that, that before this, etc) you deserve to be mocked.

I'll forgive drop d if you sound like the bad brains but not if you sound like the deftones.

If you want a deeper sound an axe down a full/half step sounds better, changing you're levels or distortion type, or you need to try playing something with humbuckers. Just my opinion after 15+ years the first 5 or so spent trying to play the fastest heaviest exploited++ type punk metal.

Edit: I'm by no means a tech, but if you feel like it's a shortcut, or easier that way, remember it will come through in the sound. There is a lot of subtleties you pick up in your attack when you do it the hard way.

Well, I'm obviously not worried about coming off as "true" or whatever (see my musical elitism statement). The shortcut part is what has me primarily worried. Many bands I like bands seem to play in Drop D and many play many (3 or more) steps down. However, my all-time favourite band is Opeth and they just play in standard tunings.

You can make some decent sounding riffs in Drop D, but the feeling I got after 15-20 minutes of using is that the advantages to drop d come at the cost of sounding extremely generic. It only opens you up 2 dozen easy power chords that most of the rest of the metal scene uses.

I'm thinking of dropping down a full step or two and practicing like that for a few months, but it will really gently caress with me if I end up wanting to play in standard tuning again.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 25, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with drop D, it gives you access to a slightly lower range and lets you play a bunch of riffs you'd have difficulty playing otherwise (especially if you're throwing in the open D power chord a lot), plus it opens up some other cool chord options. It's best to be able to play stuff in standard too, but there's no shame in playing drop D too - it's just another tool for you to use.

Tuning a step down won't really gently caress you up, it's the same as standard except everything sounds lower. It will probably be good mental exercise if you try to play standard-tuned stuff in the correct key, since you'll have to transpose everything up two frets, but in my experience transposing by an even numver of frets is a lot easier than moving everything by an odd number. Plus playing tuned down will be the only way to play some bands' songs - getting them to sound right at least. Just bear in mind you'll probably have to mess with your guitar if you're tuning down, heavier strings and intonation adjustment and maybe mess with your tremolo etc.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
Or you can just buy a couple more guitars and keep them tuned to non-standard tunings. Saves a lot of time and hassle.

VVV Heh, no one ever said a guitar collection would save you money.

meatcookie fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 25, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

meatcookie posted:

Or you can just buy a couple more guitars and keep them tuned to non-standard tunings. Saves a lot of time and hassle.

And money!

No wait

smashczar
Mar 1, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For guitarists new to effects who want to try a bit of everything, it's usually recommended to get a all-in-one type thing, like a pod or bose thing right? So for something like the pod HD300 (probably overkill for first ever effects equipment?) that would run into an amp that played as clean a tone as possible so the only effects and would be generated by the board?

with amp/cab simulations on those things, are they supposed to be run into an amp with a clean sound which then gives the sound of the simulated amp, or into a recording device?

I just don't really understand how big a role something like the HD300 is trying to play and how it fits in with the rest of the gear help :shobon:

For reference, I have a squire strat and a roland 30w micro cube and I'm looking to upgrade the guitar since I've been playing for a fair while, and was thinking of doing in conjunction with a pedalboard and then getting a new, bigger amp at a later date. There are youtubes where people get really nice recordings in their homes just going guitar->pod->USB to computer.

smashczar fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 25, 2011

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Faffel posted:

Well, I'm obviously not worried about coming off as "true" or whatever (see my musical elitism statement). The shortcut part is what has me primarily worried. Many bands I like bands seem to play in Drop D and many play many (3 or more) steps down. However, my all-time favourite band is Opeth and they just play in standard tunings.

I don't think it's much about elitism, more about learning from a much wider range than you plan to be playing personally. Your favorite guitarists may play exclusively in <X> tuning but any of them worth their ostentatiously pointy guitar can probably do a lot more than that.

revolther posted:

Don't kid yourself, it's a squier strat with a bridge humbucker, that guy is shredding in spite of it.

Good point you can get basically the same guitar with two more pickups and less embarrassingly for the same price.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Faffel posted:

However, my all-time favourite band is Opeth and they just play in standard tunings.

Opeth has been playing in DADFAD too, lately, I believe. I honesty think you can switch between E standard, drop D, and D minor on the same set of strings at will with no other adjustments, if you're just loving around at home. Someone else might know better about whether fluctuating guitar tension, even on that minor scale, threatens anything though.

smashczar posted:

For guitarists new to effects who want to try a bit of everything, it's usually recommended to get a all-in-one type thing, like a pod or bose thing right? So for something like the pod HD300 (probably overkill for first ever effects equipment?) that would run into an amp that played as clean a tone as possible so the only effects and would be generated by the board?

with amp/cab simulations on those things, are they supposed to be run into an amp with a clean sound which then gives the sound of the simulated amp, or into a recording device?

I just don't really understand how big a role something like the HD300 is trying to play and how it fits in with the rest of the gear help :shobon:

A Pod is not overkill. For guitar players, it is generally meant to simulate an entire rig, guitar -> Pod -> speakers or computer. You could use it JUST for effects, if you wanted, guitar -> Pod (with amp/cab sim bypassed) -> amp -> cab. I used it for USB recording (with great convenience) for well over a year and am only now phasing it out. It's a great tool for learning about effects and tonal variety, but it will never sound quite like a real amp because Line 6's (and everyone else except Fractal Audio's) method is fundamentally flawed. If you're a beginner who just wants to explore at home, though, a Pod is without question a good investment, but I wouldn't call it stage-worthy, unless you're a bassist.

smashczar
Mar 1, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Duck and burger posted:

A Pod is not overkill. For guitar players, it is generally meant to simulate an entire rig, guitar -> Pod -> speakers or computer. You could use it JUST for effects, if you wanted, guitar -> Pod (with amp/cab sim bypassed) -> amp -> cab. I used it for USB recording (with great convenience) for well over a year and am only now phasing it out. It's a great tool for learning about effects and tonal variety, but it will never sound quite like a real amp because Line 6's (and everyone else except Fractal Audio's) method is fundamentally flawed. If you're a beginner who just wants to explore at home, though, a Pod is without question a good investment, but I wouldn't call it stage-worthy, unless you're a bassist.

Great, that's what I wanted to hear. If I wanted to run it through an amp AND use amp/cab simulations though, I would just use a clean setting and have all the EQ at 12 or something like that?

Just generally, are Pod-type things considered inferior/ not stage-worthy compared to proper pedalboards? I was watching john petrucci's rock discipline DVD and he has something like that that uses patches, because he mentions having them saved on his computer. But it's a custom rig so who knows what he has controlling it?

Thanks!

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

smashczar posted:

For reference, I have a squire strat and a roland 30w micro cube and I'm looking to upgrade the guitar since I've been playing for a fair while, and was thinking of doing in conjunction with a pedalboard and then getting a new, bigger amp at a later date. There are youtubes where people get really nice recordings in their homes just going guitar->pod->USB to computer.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money and want something versatile I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the TonePort GX. Goes for about $100 (ymmv) and the Pod Farm software has enough variety out of the box that you'll keep yourself busy for a month or two before you think about getting an addon pack.
One big thing I've taken from playing with this is that I've refined the sound I'm after re: specific amps/cabs, gear, etc.
I've never played live with mine (and the lack of a footswitch would annoy me in that situation) but I'd imagine you'd just audio out to the house mixer, I guess. I audio out to headphones or powered speakers.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You can also just run the whole thing into your amp, speaker simulations and all. If it sounds good, go for it! In general though the idea is to use the multifx as your pedalboard, which would usually mean keeping the amp clean and using the multi's distortion, or maybe put it in the fx loop if you want to use your amp's distortion... that said you're using a Microcube so you'll probably be keeping that clean and running the Pod straight in. The amp simulations are more for piping straight out to recording software or the mixing desk if you're playing live (I think some people do this?), but you might like the sound of them going through your amp too.

Also if your Cube's anything like my bass one you'll have a direct input somewhere that bypasses the internal amp modelling, if you want to use it 'clean' that way

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Hey, was hoping for some recommendations. My guitar teacher/school has quarterly gatherings where people show up and play stuff. I'd like to get in on the next one, just wasn't sure on good stuff to play.

Stuff like "The Thrill is Gone" or "Wish You Were Here" are about my speed/skill level - however I don't sing, so it kinda rules those two out :D (and let's face it, Thrill is Gone is great, but it's gotta have the strings behind it)

Any recommendations? Doesn't have to be popular music stuff (though that doesn't hurt) but I'd like to stay in the blues/blues-rock/rock arena.

Also, htf do you play Asus4?

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index.php?ch=A&mm=sus4&v=0

crm fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 25, 2011

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Okay well it seems like the Drop D subject has a lot of disagreement in it. I think I'll gently caress around in it and have fun with it, but actually do serious practice in a standard or full steps down tuning. The worst fate I can imagine is coming out of this in 5 years time sounding like someone who learned to write all his music from Killswitch Engage or any other boring melodeath group. Thanks for the info, though. Much appreciated.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Bend your ring finger down like a J, man. Practice by playing A chords that way.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

Bend your ring finger down like a J, man. Practice by playing A chords that way.

that's not possible

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

crm posted:

that's not possible
"A form" chord fingering is pretty important. Why is it 'not possible'?

You can do the open version:
0 <-fifth
3 <-suspended fourth
2 <-root
2 <-fifth
0 <-root
x
Which is nice for chord changes if you're mostly in open chords / at the top of the neck.

It is also close to the A7sus4, which you'll want to know if you want to play the jazz:
0 <-fifth
3 <-suspended fourth
0 <-seventh
2 <-fifth
0 <-root
x
You can also play the low E and/or not play the high E to change the chord's character.

But you still need to develop that A form fingering.

RetardedRobots fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 26, 2011

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

crm posted:

that's not possible
It won't be easy (or even possible) at first, but it'll come with practice. You can get your hand into all sorts of bizarre contortions if you keep at it for a while, and sometimes you have to in order to play chords. I do this with my middle finger a lot, too, to play what that site lists as variation 2 of an A11 chord (playing 55545x with the fingering 22213).

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It's a pain in the rear end is what it is. I'm working on it right now, myself. I keep getting sloppy high or low and then the string doesn't ring right. But I'll get better.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I just use my pinky because I can't bend my ring finger like that and have it clear the next string.

For the Asus4 posted (577755) I'll sometimes fret the normal A major bar chord and let my pinky drop, so instead of just fretting the D string with the tip I'm fretting the D and the G with the pad of the finger. It usually mutes the B string too but this is more for hammering on from A -> Asus4 if you're stuck down there, it's obviously easier as an open A

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Drop D is for sissies. Only use it if you actually need that low D, 'cause it makes everything else just that much harder to play. Once you learn in standard you can always go to drop D when you really need it, which is rarely.

The problem with Drop D (or any tuning of the same intervals) is that invites disgusting laziness. So many guitar players use drop D so they can play power chords with one finger, which is terrible playing and even worse songwriting.

If you want to jam with real people instead of your old KoRn and SoaD albums, learn in standard tuning. You don't want to be one of those people who immerses him/her self in a genre and can't play anything but your 3 favorite tracks in it. The best example of this can be found at any open stage blues jam. I once had the misfortune of being paired with a guy whose instrument was "7 string guitar" and I guess was trying to branch out into non-metal styles. We attempted to play SRV's "Pride and Joy", but he had no idea when to change chords, couldn't count the length of the form, and couldn't play a solo in A.

baka kaba posted:

I just use my pinky because I can't bend my ring finger like that and have it clear the next string.

For the Asus4 posted (577755) I'll sometimes fret the normal A major bar chord and let my pinky drop, so instead of just fretting the D string with the tip I'm fretting the D and the G with the pad of the finger. It usually mutes the B string too but this is more for hammering on from A -> Asus4 if you're stuck down there, it's obviously easier as an open A

That's fine if you're also fretting the C# behind it to resolve, but I wouldn't make a habit of double stopping with the pinky. Excessive barring takes away from your ability to play articulate more complex chords wherein the suspensions are resolved. You rarely play a sus4 just as a sus4. Most of the time that suspended tone resolves downward to the third, and ideally you can do that while the other strings ring out. If you have to interrupt and re-finger the chord to resolve a suspension, you're just adding unnecessary movement and taking away from the sound.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 26, 2011

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

CalvinDooglas posted:

Drop D is for sissies. Only use it if you actually need that low D, 'cause it makes everything else just that much harder to play. Once you learn in standard you can always go to drop D when you really need it, which is rarely.

The problem with Drop D (or any tuning of the same intervals) is that invites disgusting laziness. So many guitar players use drop D so they can play power chords with one finger, which is terrible playing and even worse songwriting.

If you want to jam with real people instead of your old KoRn and SoaD albums, learn in standard tuning. You don't want to be one of those people who immerses him/her self in a genre and can't play anything but your 3 favorite tracks in it. The best example of this can be found at any open stage blues jam. I once had the misfortune of being paired with a guy whose instrument was "7 string guitar" and I guess was trying to branch out into non-metal styles. We attempted to play SRV's "Pride and Joy", but he had no idea when to change chords, couldn't count the length of the form, and couldn't play a solo in A.

This is more what I was asking about. I love death, thrash and all kinds of crazy experimental metal like YOB, but it's not the only thing I like. And the last thing I want to do is learn guitar the lazy way and end up sounding like SoAD. I'd rather have the first years be really hard and painful. It always pays off in the long run if you practice anything that way.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

CalvinDooglas posted:

That's fine if you're also fretting the C# behind it to resolve, but I wouldn't make a habit of double stopping with the pinky. Excessive barring takes away from your ability to play articulate more complex chords wherein the suspensions are resolved. You rarely play a sus4 just as a sus4. Most of the time that suspended tone resolves downward to the third, and ideally you can do that while the other strings ring out. If you have to interrupt and re-finger the chord to resolve a suspension, you're just adding unnecessary movement and taking away from the sound.

Yeah that's what I mean, keeping the chord fretted and just dropping my pinky slightly so it hammers onto the 4th, so you don't actually need to refret anything. Easy enough to do that with the open A and a spare finger, but when you're playing the barred version you're usually using all your fingers, and doing the pinky thing works fine in some situations. Just another option!

And if you do nothing but play drop D riffs then it's going to limit you for sure, but I honestly don't see a problem with using it for certain styles - heavy distorted music tends to use a lot of power chords for the rhythm guitar, and if you're playing some fast riffs that constantly hit the open D power chord you might not have time to physically move your hand up and down the neck, like for the intro of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxaI1XTZ7Lg
which is G5 F#5 D5 (well a half step lower actually) real fast. I mean if it's the kind of music you don't like that's one thing, but there's nothing wrong with using it when it's the right tool for what you want to do

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
It's not a tuning's fault if people are lazy musicians. Drop D is not inherently worse or better than any other tuning. It has a tremendous value in tons of metal genres.

Personally, I think it is best to really get familiar with standard tuning first, and when you do try out drop-D, try not to think of it as simply "whoa power chords with one finger". Think of it as more "it is easier to play this power chord shape, so what else can I be doing right now?" Or think of it more in terms of having a bigger range/variation in your chords or riffs. You can find some real unconventional chords this way.

Also, don't feel like you have to stick to one tuning, especially since it's not a humongous difference liking tuning the entire guitar into different keys. Spend a little time in standard, and a little in drop-d, and then if you really feel adventurous try more exotic tunings. You can find creativity and unique music in any tuning, don't let the snobs tell you otherwise.

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 27, 2011

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

the Bunt posted:

Also, don't feel like you have to stick to one tuning, especially since it's not a humongous difference liking tuning the entire guitar into different keys. Spend a little time in standard, and a little in drop-d, and then if you really feel adventurous try more exotic tunings. You can find creativity and unique music in any tuning, don't let the snobs tell you otherwise.

I played for a little bit in one of the death metal tunings, I think B standard. It was interesting, but I've just been sticking to standard. I had a nice moment today where I was wondering why I was doing all this goddamn drilling when I had no idea how to actually PLAY.

So I started on the first riff of Symphony of Destruction, which I couldn't play at all the week before. Not only could I play it, but I could play it well enough to worry about muting more than fretting and strumming. That was kind of a nice feeling. I really wish I could just play around and make my own riffs and licks, but nothing I do seems to sound any good. I guess I can't expect to conjure riffs out of my finger tips on my second week of playing.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 27, 2011

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It's something I like to do too, practice properly for a couple of days them rock the hell out with whatever I can for a while. It gives you a wonderful feeling of progress if you keep doing it. Do I still suck at the song I'm trying? Oh my yes, but I don't suck quite as much as I did before.

The first few times I was trying the second riff to 'Walk this way' as per Justin, I couldn't quite reach the little finger pull off properly and even then I hardly had the strength in my finger to actually pull it off.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 27, 2011

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

smashczar posted:

Great, that's what I wanted to hear. If I wanted to run it through an amp AND use amp/cab simulations though, I would just use a clean setting and have all the EQ at 12 or something like that?

Just generally, are Pod-type things considered inferior/ not stage-worthy compared to proper pedalboards? I was watching john petrucci's rock discipline DVD and he has something like that that uses patches, because he mentions having them saved on his computer. But it's a custom rig so who knows what he has controlling it?

Thanks!

Why would you want to use an amp sim and a real amp at the same time? Line6 makes an only-effects pedalboard, btw.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Does anybody know a small app or a website that would let you select chords and then create small chord fingering tablatures? Bonus points if the chords can be heard in succession. This comes close but it's too clunky and doesn't display the chord fingerings simultaneously. The reason I'm looking for a solution like this is because I'm a bassist who loves to compose but trying out different chord progressions on four strings isn't really that easy. I bought a cheap electric for 20 euros from my friend hoping it would help me out.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

This might be what you want:
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_chords_jam.php

You basically select the chord type you want (major, minor, m6, sus4 etc) and then click the chord root on the fretboard, so for example for a Cmaj7 you could click maj7 and then click the 3rd fret on the A string. You can change each chord's length with the clicky notes. It's still kinda clunky and the timing is slightly off which is a bit annoying to play to - if anyone knows something similar (and better) I'd love to see it

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Plain and simple, what are some good warm-up exercises?

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

I recently purchased a really nice used strat (2006 custom shop) and it plays great except for one possible problem: the first tone knob (the one not next the volume knob) does not seem to have to effect on...well...tone.

Before I call the shop I bought it in (they're cool, they'll make sure it is either fixed or give me a refund) I wanted to make sure I just wasn't making a newbie mistake.

Anyhow, it seems to me if I turn the knob and there is not noticeable difference, something is up, right? Any other tests to try?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Patman posted:

I recently purchased a really nice used strat (2006 custom shop) and it plays great except for one possible problem: the first tone knob (the one not next the volume knob) does not seem to have to effect on...well...tone.

Before I call the shop I bought it in (they're cool, they'll make sure it is either fixed or give me a refund) I wanted to make sure I just wasn't making a newbie mistake.

Anyhow, it seems to me if I turn the knob and there is not noticeable difference, something is up, right? Any other tests to try?

Just to clarify, in case anybody isn't familiar with the standard control setup on Fender Stratocasters:

Tone 1 (next to the volume knob) controls the tone for the neck pickup.

Tone 2 controls the tone for the middle pickup.

The bridge pickup does not have any tone control at all.

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

SaintFu posted:

Just to clarify, in case anybody isn't familiar with the standard control setup on Fender Stratocasters:

Tone 1 (next to the volume knob) controls the tone for the neck pickup.

Tone 2 controls the tone for the middle pickup.

The bridge pickup does not have any tone control at all.

Well, the weird thing is the tone 1 knob seems to affect ALL pickups. Maybe it is just wired that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

Patman posted:

Well, the weird thing is the tone 1 knob seems to affect ALL pickups. Maybe it is just wired that way.

Yeah, it is a master tone mod. I like it.