Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

spacegoat posted:

the detail on how that mold got hosed up is just amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What exactly are they doing? Pouring resin into metal molds?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

What exactly are they doing? Pouring resin into metal molds?

More likely making really crappy resin molds from the original master sculpt

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Why the gently caress would you blowdry a model to heat it? Use water. Forgeworld resin is pliable under hot (not even boiling) water, this is probably the same.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I think I'm like the only goon that plays Tomb Kings but I figure I'd post this here anyway:

I ordered the new TK armybook a little while back and the cover got bent in the mail a bit. I told the shipper and they sent a new one to replace it. So now I have an extra Tomb Kings Army Book.

So if anyone wants a 2011 Tomb Kings armybook with minor bending damage to the front cover, I'll give it up for $20. Otherwise brand new besides the cover. Email me at argharghargh707 at gmail dot com.

Sold.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 27, 2011

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?

Flippycunt posted:

I think I'm like the only goon that plays Tomb Kings but I figure I'd post this here anyway:

I ordered the new TK armybook a little while back and the cover got bent in the mail a bit. I told the shipper and they sent a new one to replace it. So now I have an extra Tomb Kings Army Book.

So if anyone wants a 2011 Tomb Kings armybook with minor bending damage to the front cover, I'll give it up for $20. Otherwise brand new besides the cover. Email me at argharghargh707 at gmail dot com.

I sent you an e-mail about it, but some how missed the 20 bucks thing. Go me, heh.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
The summer magic thing is going to have to be awesome if GW is going to recover from this month. Any word on it beyond, "It's Apocalypse for Fantasy and they're making the monsters for Transformation?"

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Don't they already have 'Apocalypse for Fantasy' or am I just terribly confused about what Warmaster is?

\/\/\/ Oh duh. Thanks! :downs:

orphean fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 27, 2011

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

orphean posted:

Don't they already have 'Apocalypse for Fantasy' or am I just terribly confused about what Warmaster is?

warmaster is epic for fantasy.

Apoc is that thing for 40k where you put 10,000+ dollars worth of models on the table and quit 3 hours later after turn 2 because you've already rolled a billion dice and your feet hurt and it is no where near over.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Tadhg posted:

The summer magic thing is going to have to be awesome if GW is going to recover from this month. Any word on it beyond, "It's Apocalypse for Fantasy and they're making the monsters for Transformation?"

The chaos Dwarf Lammasu will be in the storms of chaos materials according to the leaked army book pictures from the French Games Day.

BTW if you want said images, cough cough email me or IM me.

kingfisherb90 on aim
isaac.mooers on gmail

Thoughts on?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/WARHAMMER_CHAOS/CHAOS-SIEGE-GIANT.html

Rules

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/c/Chaos-Siege-Giant.pdf

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

KingFisher posted:

The chaos Dwarf Lammasu will be in the storms of chaos materials according to the leaked army book pictures from the French Games Day.

BTW if you want said images, cough cough email me or IM me.

kingfisherb90 on aim
isaac.mooers on gmail

Thoughts on?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/WARHAMMER_CHAOS/CHAOS-SIEGE-GIANT.html

Rules

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/c/Chaos-Siege-Giant.pdf

SUPER COOL.
I love the plastic giant kit, and if I didn't already have one converted up for my VCs I would have used this.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Manifest posted:

SUPER COOL.
I love the plastic giant kit, and if I didn't already have one converted up for my VCs I would have used this.

What about the rules and such? Point value?

Competes against:

K'daai Destroyer : 295 pts

M9 WS5 S7 T6 W6 I5 A6 Ld8
Unbreakable, unstable
Frenzy +1D3
Flaming attack, terror, large target thunderstomp
Special Rules:

At the beginning of the 2dn turn, and for each turn, toughness test for the unit (the kdaai). If failed, 1D3 wound without save.

Ward save 4+, 2+ ward save against flaming attacks

every model in base contact suffers 1 S4 hit, flaming, non magical attack with -1 to wound

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lammasu question:

Does the new one maintain the original's resemblance to a punk rock version of Saddam Hussein?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys, I have a question about a 2000 point Beastmen list I'm writing up. It looks alright to me but I'd like a second(third/fourth/fifth) opinion.

1 x Beastlord (General) - Heavy Armour, Shield, Gnarled Hide, Ram Horn Helm, Dawn Stone, Crown of Command
1 x Wargor (Battle Standard Bearer) - Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Gouge Tusks, Manbane Standard
2 x Beast Shaman (Level 2) - Lore of Beasts, Hand Weapon

2 x 22 Gors (Musician, Standard) - Two Hand Weapons
2 x 15 Ungors (Musician, Standard) - Hand Weapon, Shield
2 x 10 Ungors (Champion, Musician) - Hand Weapon, Shield

1 x 20 Bestigors (Champion, Musician, Standard) - Great Weapons, Heavy Armour, War Banner
1 x 6 Minotaurs (Champion, Musician, Standard) - Two Hand Weapons, Light Armour

The idea is to keep the Minos off to the side of my Bestigors with my General and BSB, with Ungors just ahead of them to screen. The smaller two groups of Ungors will be ambushing. The Gors will have my Shamans and will be on the edges of the General's Inspiring Presence.
Use various buffs on the better units and just slam into their line. Have the General issue challenges, where applicable, help the Minos win a combat to gain their Frenzy and then the slaughter really starts... Or, so's the hope.

It's more of an all-comers list than anything. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks ;)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beast...men?!?

who are you and what are you talking about?

~

But seriously there aren't too many beastmen players itt so forgive me if I only talk about general issues and avoid the nitty gritty of what makes a good beasts list (because gently caress if I know anyone who plays them...except for you! Hi how're you doing?)

1. Why are your units so small? One template spell/warmachine will cripple the combat potential of those gor/ungor units before they ever get to fighting. I would run fewer large units 30-35 models each rather than so many small units. You'll need ranks to have a chance at a few turns of steadfast anyway.

2. when you say that the ungors will be screening your general what do you mean? To me it sounds like you mean walking in front of him. This isn't a good idea with such a small unit in 8th edition for a number of reasons:
---> a. with true line of sight people will just shoot over them and at your generals unit.
---> b. with only 15 models the ungors will easily be broken in one turn, and either destroyed or caught. this is not going to be a good situation for the unit behind them because they will most likely get nailed by the victorious enemy unit as they overrun your fleeing troops. For units to work in tandem, one needs to be massive enough to trap the enemy while the combat unit circles round for a flank charge in the next turn.

3. Minotaur unit is your only real tool for dishing out lots of wounds. Expect it to get mulched before combat. Some more heavy hitters, either in the form of more or bigger minotaur units or maybe a couple rare monsters (giant/cygor/whatever) would really spread your opponent's ranged attacks out and help you get to combat with some of your fighting ability intact. The cygor is especially good because it provides magic defense while also being your only warmachine.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 27, 2011

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know, I know! They're not the sturdiest of armies with bugger all range but gently caress it! I want things that go 'Moo!' at you while they kill you! :P

I thought 22 - 24 Gors was a sizable unit? I mean, they come up six wide on 25mm bases and are T4. Also, I only have 50 Gor on me. (Or, at least I will, once that order from Maelstrom comes through.)

Well, I don't plan on them surviving. They're just meant to take the ranged fire while my Bestigors and Minotaurs close the distance. And either going last because of Great Weapons or I3, I'm not too worried about the enemy plowing through the Ungors. I was going to use Raiders to screen but like you said, true line of sight really screwed with that idea :(

Wait, does that mean that I can't place a unit in front of another unit of infantry size and have them cop all the attention? :confused:

See, I thought about taking a Cygor but the bugger is 275 points for what amounts to a slobbering stone thrower. Never having had access to something like a stone thrower, I'm apprehensive about it.
If he gets in melee, he's WS2 and only gets to re-roll those attacks on magical things, like Undead or Daemons, or things with a ward save.
Though, screwing with mages is nice.

I wouldn't mind putting a Gorgon in there. I got Galagaak from Maelstrom yesterday ;)

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Anyone able to help me out with 500pts of VC's?

Starting a fun campaign with friends, and need 500 points. Haven't played Warhammer since 5th ed really, so could use some help.

Was thinking of either of the two lists;

List 1

Lord: Vampire Hero
- Summon Ghouls
- Ironcurse Icon, Charmed Shield
Other choices for Magic item instead of Ironcurse Icon is Dragon bane Charm or Potion of Foolhardiness.
(125pts) - This is the max I can spend on the Lord at this point level

Core: 1 x 10 Ghouls (80pts)

Core: 1 x 15 Ghouls (120pts)

Rare: Vargulf

Total: 500pts

List 2

Lord: Vampire Hero (as above)
(125pts)

Core: 1 x 12 Ghouls (96pts)

Core: 1 x 12 Ghouls (96pts)

Special: 12 x Grave Guard
- Great Weapons
- Banner bearer
- Banner of Hellfire
(178pts)

Total: 495pts

Which is the best to take out of the two against an large variety of opposition Armies? Will be going up against Warriors of Chaos, 2 HE lists, 1 treekin wood elf list (hence the Banner of Hellfire on the Grave Guard unit to give flaming attacks, as I guarantee he will take some treekin), Orcs and Goblins, another VC army, Skaven and however many others.

The second list has a great bunker unit in the Grave Guard, and can do some severe damage at ST6 for their attacks. However, the first has a ST5 dude with terror running around the field. I am quite torn as I am not sure how this will work out

What would you guys suggest? I am not sure if I can tailor my list before each game, so I need an all-comers list.

Which unit should the Vampire Lord join in the second list? One of the Ghouls, or go all out and give the Grave Guard some heavy punch?

Also, not being able to buy regular armour and shield for your Vampire loving blows at this low point range. Have to rely on him not getting hit badly past the first hit that can be soaked by the Charmed Shield (hoping there is no more than 1 Cannon or other such item on the field).

Any help is appreciated!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Irate Tree posted:

I know, I know! They're not the sturdiest of armies with bugger all range but gently caress it! I want things that go 'Moo!' at you while they kill you! :P

I thought 22 - 24 Gors was a sizable unit? I mean, they come up six wide on 25mm bases and are T4. Also, I only have 50 Gor on me. (Or, at least I will, once that order from Maelstrom comes through.)

See, like most particulars about the beasts, I didn't know they were toughness four. They're still gonna die though without armor. Basically in 8th ed if you don't have a save there better be a lot of you. run 'em 5 wide in 25 man blocks so that you have a full rank of ablative wounds before you start losing combat resolution bonus. Alternatively, save some points and run one huge unit 6 wide of 36 or 42 - that would be an anvil unit that commanded respect. Basically you want to build your anvil aka large garbage units so that they demand attention from your opponent and take the heat off your hammer units.

quote:

Wait, does that mean that I can't place a unit in front of another unit of infantry size and have them cop all the attention? :confused:

Yup. If your opponent can see the heads of the unit behind from a model's eye view then a screening unit offers no protection. The only time screening actually saves your rear end is when you have a monstrous unit walking in front of something that your opponent wants to hit with a cannonball because monstrous units stop cannon balls on impact.

quote:

See, I thought about taking a Cygor but the bugger is 275 points for what amounts to a slobbering stone thrower. Never having had access to something like a stone thrower, I'm apprehensive about it.
If he gets in melee, he's WS2 and only gets to re-roll those attacks on magical things, like Undead or Daemons, or things with a ward save.
Though, screwing with mages is nice.

I wouldn't mind putting a Gorgon in there. I got Galagaak from Maelstrom yesterday ;)

Gorgons are cool, but do yourself a favor and read up on stone throwers - they are now the best class of warmachine bar none. You don't want the cygor fighting you want him backpedaling away from enemies throwing boulders that stand a very good chance of crushing two whole ranks of infantry a turn.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
It's weird that there are hardly any beastmen players on any of the sites I frequent, yet the league I just joined has 4 or 5 beastmen players.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

Run 'em 5 wide in 25 man blocks so that you have a full rank of ablative wounds before you start losing combat resolution bonus. Alternatively, save some points and run one huge unit 6 wide of 36 or 42 - that would be an anvil unit that commanded respect.

I like the idea of having more than one unit of Gors. To my mind, it seems better that fire would be split between the two, rather than everything at one. My beasties are only sporting their birthday suits, after all =P
Still, I'll have to try having a single, big unit at some point.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yup.

Well, that blows goats :(

Real hurthling! posted:

Gorgons are cool, but do yourself a favor and read up on stone throwers.

Hrmm, S9 D6 wounds under the hole you say?... :haw:

I've gone and tweaked the list a bit and I've had to bugger off all my Ungors, made my two units of Gors 30 strong and have myself a Cygor. The only problem is, the Minos are now only four strong with a champion (or five strong with just a Musician).
I could replace them with a group of ten Centigor with full command. They're M8, S/T4 with spears and a 4+. Or, do you reckon four/five is enough?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Irate Tree posted:

I've gone and tweaked the list a bit and I've had to bugger off all my Ungors, made my two units of Gors 30 strong and have myself a Cygor. The only problem is, the Minos are now only four strong with a champion (or five strong with just a Musician).
I could replace them with a group of ten Centigor with full command. They're M8, S/T4 with spears and a 4+. Or, do you reckon four/five is enough?

All of that sounds a lot stronger. 2x30 is great for those units.

The only issue now is the taurs. You have a couple options for them that I would consider because right now they are sort of half baked;

1. Ablative wounds for monstrous character - You could shuffle around your character selection to get a minotaur hero with some modest combat upgrades and run him with a minimum number of regular taurs for him to receive a look out sir roll. Use him on the flank to snap in for a decisive turn of combat or go after squishy things in the backfield.

2. Delete them for several chariots - chariots are hammers. It sucks to get hit with a bag full of hammers.

3. Beef them up - You've got several magic items and the thing about magic items is that unless they are going to save you from a bad roll (say like an earthing rod for a lord level caster) or turn you into a stone cold killer in some way that is very predictably going to win you a combat/challenge/whatever, then they aren't worth it. Delete those magic standards, take off one of the lords items (I basically never max out on a character's item points) and get yourself up to at least 6 in that unit. Don't be paying a half-minotaur worth of points for 7th edition items like the warbanner. poo poo dies in 8th edition; +1 CR is really hilarious when you're losing by 25 wounds to a 2hw/MoK warrior unit.

VVV

Note: #1 is probably the least efficient of the three because it is still a butt load of points to spend on meat shields. At least they'll cop a cannonball for the cygor once and a while, but I think losing the second caster is a big blow just to keep the taurs on the table.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 27, 2011

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright! Here's how the list stands now. The only gripe I have is that I'm down a Shaman, which means, less chance of getting the spells I want from the Lore of Beasts.

1 x Beastlord (same as before)
1 x Wargor (BSB) - Same as before, no magic banner
1 x Bray Shaman - Same as before
1 x Gorebull - Heavy Armour, Shield, Brass Cleaver

2 x 29 Gors - Two Hand Weapons, Full Command

1 x 20 Bestigors - Same as before, no magic banner
1 x 4 Minotaurs - Two Hand Weapons, Musician

1 x Cygor

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

So where do you guys buy your WHFB minis online? All my local game stores are very expensive compared to where I used to live, and while I'm happy to throw money their way sometimes to support the environment they provide, I also want to save some moolah!!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What part of the world do you live in?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

At least they'll cop a cannonball for the cygor once and a while, but I think losing the second caster is a big blow just to keep the taurs on the table.

Yeah, I think having the second caster might be more viable. I mean, sure, I'd screw most anything over with the Gorebull and his mates but then... I might not be able to make my guys tougher, or stronger, or my characters more awesome.

What I can do is, get the second caster back, keep a unit of five Minotaurs with two hand weapons, Champion and Musician and give the Champion a magic item up to 25 points... Could make them cause Terror? Or give them (or the Bestigor Champion, for that matter or give the Bestigor Champion a Gift of Chaos) the Stone of Spite and makes everyone with an Arcane Item explode!

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 27, 2011

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What part of the world do you live in?

San Francisco, the US! Sorry.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Try the warstore or galaxy gobbo, any

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Irate Tree - Lurk on Herdstone.

http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php

I'm starting Beasts but am still drafting my list but apparently blocks of 30-50 Gors and 30-40 Bestigors are highly regarded.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
ffffff

I forgot how annoying building a trebuchet is. You have to make sure everything lines up before gluing, but you don't have enough hands to make that happen. Then when you finally do get stuff glued down, you end up levering it off later on as you try to adjust other bits.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Miles O'Brian posted:

ffffff

I forgot how annoying building a trebuchet is. You have to make sure everything lines up before gluing, but you don't have enough hands to make that happen. Then when you finally do get stuff glued down, you end up levering it off later on as you try to adjust other bits.

What worked for me was just not giving a poo poo. i put my lopsided/warped contraptions behind a forest on my table edge and no one's the wiser.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Miles O'Brian posted:

ffffff

The finecast one will help a lot with this.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bhyo posted:

The finecast one will help a lot with this.

Yes, with a slight application of your body's own heat, you will be able to bend and reshape every piece into the desired form.

Jesus, what a total fuckup this seems to be. Who was it who bought a librarian or something? bhsman? I'd love to know how well the finecast material actually stands up to sunlight or whatever. If it's as malleable as has been intimated, I guess we're in for some really lovely figs off the racking at whatever stores don't think to move the displays out of the sunlight?

Just so long as my Thanquol and Boneripper turn out ok, I guess... :sigh:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Bahahahaha

Chris Palmer of Mantic Games posted:

We're proud to introduce our new plastic-resin Undead Wraiths.

Plastic-resin is a superior material to metal, in that it holds detail like resin, but with all the benefits of plastic. That's not the best bit, however - oh no. We've managed to double the number of figures into the box at the same price as the previous metal set. As we all know, the price of metal is getting expensive, and so by switching the popular Wraiths to this more affordable material, we've passed on the cost savings to you guys! How's that for value for money?

The new resin-plastic Undead Wraiths are now available to pre-order alongside the new Vampire Lord and Soul Reavers, and also feature in our Undead Elites Army Set - check back later for more details on that!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
hahaha, holy poo poo GW should be making GBS threads their pants right now

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Mantic are deliberately doing this to siphon off GW customers. And hey, it's worked for me. I'll probably be getting them for my VC's, because at the price they are definitely worth it.

Won my game today vs Dwarves. First game of Warhams since 5th ed. Crushing victory, 419pts to nil.

If I had of remembered that ghouls have 2 attacks, I would have probably slaughtered his army completely. I'll post an army report if anyone cares.

We're using the Mighty Empires rules for the campaign, and I have now been challenged by two players: Beastmen and Wood Elves (Treekin). Wondering how I will go.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Finecast Dark Elf Bolt Thrower review I found via Warseer. He stays pretty neutral, but the flaws are unfortunately obvious and many. I guess it's to be expected when even the GW picture of the thing has a chunk missing from two of the arrowheads and a bit of what appears to be a piece of the mould on the face of one of the crewmen:

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man, I hope Mantic starts making medieval knights to stand in for Brets.

That would just be swell. :allears:

E: Though the Soul Reavers/Black Knights do look pretty awful. I suppose a better paint job might help a great deal.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 28, 2011

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
They are still better than GWs black knights, aren't they?

e: yeah, I don't see what you are complaining about

GW

Mantic

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 28, 2011

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

The Mantic Blood Knights are pretty yick though, I have to admit.

But since you can buy the infinitely better Gamezone mounted Blood Knights for a shitload cheaper than GW, I don't really mind at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Those Mantic knights are sweet. I'll have to grab a box sometime as a one-shot.

• Locked thread