Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Crowetron posted:

Haha, how in the gently caress?

Well, you see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Pope Mobile posted:

I've been watching the Clone Wars series and am on season 3. Just finished the episodes where Dooku betrays Ventress and gets a new assassin from the Sisters. What the loving gently caress is with that loving ending? Goddamn Darth Maul is alive and in exile in the Outer Rim?!
I really like this show (althought the Jar-Jar heavy episodes make me want to boil a live cat) but what is that poo poo?

Figured I'd spoiler as the show is fairly recent.

You know that nothing will ever come of this though. It's just a way to get rid of Savage. Just like how they officially get rid of Ventress. This is the last we'll ever hear of it.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

There is no Star Wars stuff being released for adults anymore. Everything is either aimed at children or being written by grown up children.

Also - Episode 1 as a Role Playing campaign. If you have any knowledge at all of how tabletop gaming works try to get at least 10 pages in and see if it grabs you. I ended up getting some good laughs out of this.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Azzmo posted:

There is no Star Wars stuff being released for adults anymore. Everything is either aimed at children or being written by grown up children.

No offense but this is actually really dumb because Star Wars started as a movie for children. That's not to say some of the dumb stuff is forgivable or adults can't enjoy it(I'm an unabashed fan), but I cant really say Star Wars was ever "mature".

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

No offense but this is actually really dumb because Star Wars started as a movie for children. That's not to say some of the dumb stuff is forgivable or adults can't enjoy it(I'm an unabashed fan), but I cant really say Star Wars was ever "mature".

Just because something is accessible to children doesn't mean that children are the sole or even primary audience. The OT was the Muppet Show to the PT's Teletubbies.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Crowetron posted:

Haha, how in the gently caress?

Figures.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Derek Dominoe posted:

Just because something is accessible to children doesn't mean that children are the sole or even primary audience. The OT was the Muppet Show to the PT's Teletubbies.

....And they are both for children. What's this even mean?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fox of Stone posted:

....And they are both for children. What's this even mean?
gently caress you, The Muppet Show is for everyone :colbert:

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

RagnarokAngel posted:

Empire Strikes Back would be the obvious counter to that.

I'd like to know where it was stated that the series started aimed at children? I know that Lucas was inspired by the Flash Gordon serials but I've never had the impression that any of the original three films were made for children. As far as I'm aware the science fiction genre is pretty inclusive in that rarely do the films skew such that a 10 year old and a 30 year old would disagree much on its quality.

Most Star Wars media released since the Prequels came out is pretty obviously aimed at kids in a "Saturday Morning Cartoon" type of way. My perception of lower quality is a product of a decade of min/maxing effort/profit by LucasFilm.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
You would have to be incredibly irresponsible to offer the directorial job of a children's movie to David Lynch.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Azzmo posted:

I'd like to know where it was stated that the series started aimed at children?

I'd like to know this, as well. I know "it's for children" is Lucas' go-to defense when people say bad things about the PT now, but was this also the case with ANH?

Also, this trailer doesn't look all that kid-friendly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvqpFbRKtQ

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Arguably the Holiday Special was aimed at kids.

Actually it'd be more accurately to say it wasn't aimed at anyone functionally older than 5.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
How many films aimed at children has Irvin Kershner directed? :colbert:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Robocop 2 was family fun for everyone!!!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Grendels Dad posted:

I'd like to know this, as well. I know "it's for children" is Lucas' go-to defense when people say bad things about the PT now, but was this also the case with ANH?

If I recall, he did buy out all the toy/merchandising rights or something to that effect. (Manchildren are still children.)

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Are you saying that my original mint Porkins figure isn't as viable as your investments?

Jock.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I've been thinking about this, and there is absolutely no way in gently caress Darth Maul could possibly be alive. Even in that crazy Infinities story where he got robots legs, everyone seems to overlook the fact that being cut in half wasn't the only fatal thing to happen to him.

Even if being loving bisected didn't kill him instantly, he fell down a crazy huge pit. Even if the lightsaber cauterized the wound or he used some Force BS to hold his guts in, he's hitting the ground at terminal velocity. I mean, if Palps somehow immediately got a hold of him, maybe he'd be able to slap on some robo-legs. But even if Spliffy P himself was waiting at the bottom of that unexplained pit, Maul gonna hit the ground, and he's gonna hit the ground loving hard. Like a water balloon filled with spaghetti sauce.

Even a full robo-ification like Grievous wouldn't help, because you wouldn't be able to transfer his brain into anything without a loving mop. Remember how Greedo was shot and burned to a crisp? He'd be easier to revive than Maul. I don't care if you have loving Dr. House and the team that built the 6 Million Dollar Man, there ain't poo poo you can do when a guy is just two puddles of meat.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Crowetron posted:

I've been thinking about this, and there is absolutely no way in gently caress Darth Maul could possibly be alive. Even in that crazy Infinities story where he got robots legs, everyone seems to overlook the fact that being cut in half wasn't the only fatal thing to happen to him.

Even if being loving bisected didn't kill him instantly, he fell down a crazy huge pit. Even if the lightsaber cauterized the wound or he used some Force BS to hold his guts in, he's hitting the ground at terminal velocity. I mean, if Palps somehow immediately got a hold of him, maybe he'd be able to slap on some robo-legs. But even if Spliffy P himself was waiting at the bottom of that unexplained pit, Maul gonna hit the ground, and he's gonna hit the ground loving hard. Like a water balloon filled with spaghetti sauce.

Even a full robo-ification like Grievous wouldn't help, because you wouldn't be able to transfer his brain into anything without a loving mop. Remember how Greedo was shot and burned to a crisp? He'd be easier to revive than Maul. I don't care if you have loving Dr. House and the team that built the 6 Million Dollar Man, there ain't poo poo you can do when a guy is just two puddles of meat.

We know that Naboo has a hollow core (that you can take stupid submarines through). Maybe he just kept falling until he passed the center of the planet's gravity, and then started falling back up, eventually settling to rest in the core :pseudo:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, "terminal velocity" doesn't mean poo poo when you're a Jedi/Sith. Earlier in the same scene Maul kicks Obi-Wan off of a walkway and he falls a good four or five stories only to get up and proceed to jump back up to the previous walkway. Also, Luke falling from beneath the AT-AT after jamming that bomb up in there should have at least resulted in some broken bones, but he was fine afterwards.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Crowetron posted:

I've been thinking about this,

There's your first mistake.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sure, you can use the Force to land crazy jumps and drops, but even if Maul had the mental capacity to do anything other than pass out from shock, he doesn't have any feet to land on. And he cracked his head on the side of the pit on the way down!

Unless the dude landed in a Force powered super handstand, and Palps had a team of expert medical professions just waiting at the bottom of that hole for the whole fight, Maul is dead in at least three different ways.

Edit:

Doc Hawkins posted:

There's your first mistake.

That's a good point, though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Luke also fell down a bottomless pit in Bespin if you recall! By the time he reached the bottom he had slowed to a fairly safe falling speed.

One can only surmise that Star Wars OHS mandates these fall-speed-slowing safety devices because there railings haven't been invented to guard all the bottomless pits in the galaxy.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you think about it *too hard* then you can easily make a case for Maul surviving the fall (if not the disembowelment.)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I really loving hate Star Wars sometimes.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

You guys are letting an EU expansion-story of a character whose origin is one of the prequel movies upset you?

I thought that goons were, like, the number one proponents of the consensus that Star Wars starts at Episode IV and ends with Episode VI, and that those other three "Star Wars" movies are just a practical joke made by an eccentric old madman at the expense of the casual moviegoer.

Or maybe that's just me.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Sure, you can use the Force to land crazy jumps and drops, but even if Maul had the mental capacity to do anything other than pass out from shock, he doesn't have any feet to land on. And he cracked his head on the side of the pit on the way down!

Unless the dude landed in a Force powered super handstand, and Palps had a team of expert medical professions just waiting at the bottom of that hole for the whole fight, Maul is dead in at least three different ways.

I was always pissed that he didnt return, he definately would have been a better and more understandable bad guy than Count Dooku (Still the runner up for WORST VILLIAN NAME EVER) - I mean he killed Obi wan's master, right in front of his very eyes! A much more understandable motivation that whatever political bullshit Dooku had going - something about him rebelling agains the jedi council, who seem like a sack of dicks at any rate

...anyway

Not A Bear fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 30, 2011

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009
He used force jump to slow his crippled rear end (actually he doesn't have an rear end now lol) down. Then senator palpatine came to naboo to publicly congratulate the queen and the gun gahs while secretly collecting his crippled apprentice. We know palpatine has an on call secret cybernetics lab, probably been using it for years to piece back together his various assassins.

Palpatine decides his horned tattooed dude is a little to obvious so he keeps him in some crappy apartment on coruscant until after he eliminates most of the jedi. Then he sets him loose as a medium level spy and troubleshooter, and doesn't pay attention to what darth maul is doing for a few years. Darth maul finds a lead on obi wan and decides for some payback and maybe a chance to get back in palpatines good graces, gets killed before phoning it in and all is well in the star wars universe.

see how easy that was?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It would have made perfect sense and even been a somewhat nifty reveal to have Grievous be Maul, thus upping the stakes for the eventual confrontation with Obi-Wan (and explaining why Obi-Wan decides to gently caress off all alone to face Grievous). Going into Revenge of the Sith it's what I fully suspected.

I gave Lucas too much credit.

tworavens
Oct 5, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Darth Maul is some weird alien with horns growing out of his head! who knows how his body reacts to being cut in half!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That Awful Nick posted:

You guys are letting an EU expansion-story of a character whose origin is one of the prequel movies upset you?

I thought that goons were, like, the number one proponents of the consensus that Star Wars starts at Episode IV and ends with Episode VI, and that those other three "Star Wars" movies are just a practical joke made by an eccentric old madman at the expense of the casual moviegoer.

Or maybe that's just me.

I'm pretty much right there with you. It's hard to get upset about what a particular story "does" to a particular character when you can just ignore it, or even come up with a scenario you personally find more entertaining and sensible. Your own understanding of the characters takes precedence over an externally-edited "canon" of events from wildly disparate works.

It's theoretically possible for your understanding to be dumber than that canon, but it's not inherently dumber, just because you aren't the rights-holder.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

tworavens posted:

Darth Maul is some weird alien with horns growing out of his head! who knows how his body reacts to being cut in half!

Yeah, this. Maul a Zoxxnorck, and they carry their vital organs in a little pouch under their left armpit. They also have little wings, like that blue Middle Easters slave keeper.

There.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Crop tops are sooo last decade.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Well, the next nail in the coffin of the EU is out.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Conviction

THE NEXT ENTRY IN THE EXCITING FATE OF THE JEDI SAGA!

Anyway, from the Wookieepedia entry, they take out Daala, the Horn children aren't crazy any more except they are, and Callista dies. Yup.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, this trailer doesn't look all that kid-friendly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvqpFbRKtQ

Can't ever complain about a trailer that uses Vivaldi's Winter as the music. Much better than 99% of the crap that's in typical trailers.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Anyway, from the Wookieepedia entry, they take out Daala, the Horn children aren't crazy any more except they are, and Callista dies. Yup.

I haven't read any of the FotJ books, but I'm so conflicted by what sound like completely retarded plots and the belief that Allston can do no wrong.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Everything is wrong with that darth maul comic. Why the gently caress did they have him speak?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Is that comic real? or is it a what-if sorta deal or what?

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

That DICK! posted:

Is that comic real? or is it a what-if sorta deal or what?

They've said it's 'non-canon' but what that means in the EU anymore is anyone's guess.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Rochallor posted:

The plot for that book is beyond awful. Nothing in that bunch of poo poo sounds remotely interesting, and this whole Abeloth crap needs to be evicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

VaultAggie posted:

The plot for that book is beyond awful. Nothing in that bunch of poo poo sounds remotely interesting, and this whole Abeloth crap needs to be evicted.

Star Wars EU plotlines have effectively become JRPG storylines. Abeloth might as well be ExDeath from Final Fantasy 5. To be fair, ExDeath did have some pretty kickin' rad music, though.