Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

There`s also Katt Williams.

I had no idea he was in the game when I went to the comedy club with Little Jacob. Suddenly Katt Williams is on stage busting out his "The price of weed is too drat high" routine. Awesome little touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

There`s also Katt Williams.

Not that there's much (or any) competition, but "Everyday I'm Hustlin'" has to be the single funniest bit of stand-up in a videogame, ever.

I mean the bit was funny before (and presumably after) GTA IV, but I particularly like the fact that for all the stand-up bits they actually motion-capped Katt Williams and Ricky Gervais perfectly. The timing, the facial expressions and everything are spot-on, which is particularly impressive considering how much of stand-up comedy relies on body language and delivery.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bobnumerotres posted:

What the gently caress. I just went to a comedy club for the first time ever since Packie invited me to one and :siren:MOTHERFUCKING RICKY GERVAIS PERFORMS IN THIS GAME:siren:

That was the most pleasant surprise ever. It was actually drat funny too!

If Rockstar wanted to be good sports, the next GTA should have Dara O'Briain in it.

Completely unrelated, but I'm surprised Dave Chapelle wasn't in San Andreas. He was a really vocal fan of the game, did tons of sketches and references about it on his show, and this was all right during SA's development and before his meltdown. They even got Charlie Murphy to be in the game!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tewratomeh posted:

Not that there's much (or any) competition, but "Everyday I'm Hustlin'" has to be the single funniest bit of stand-up in a videogame, ever.

I mean the bit was funny before (and presumably after) GTA IV, but I particularly like the fact that for all the stand-up bits they actually motion-capped Katt Williams and Ricky Gervais perfectly. The timing, the facial expressions and everything are spot-on, which is particularly impressive considering how much of stand-up comedy relies on body language and delivery.

I wonder how much of LA Noire is powered by comedian-driven technology.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, my first in-game comedy club visit was the Everyday I'm Hustlin' sketch and I was howling with laughter. I didn't realise until much later that it was a real-life stand-up sketch put into the game.

Jtomeo
Jan 10, 2003

Farbtoner posted:

I'm surprised Dave Chapelle wasn't in San Andreas. He was a really vocal fan of the game, did tons of sketches and references about it on his show, and this was all right during SA's development and before his meltdown. They even got Charlie Murphy to be in the game!

As far as I can remember, Dave Chapelle was originally supposed to do the voice work for OG Loc, but the deal fell through at some point during development.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Let's not forget the tv shows in IV. Republican Space Rangers should be a real show.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Let's not forget the tv shows in IV. Republican Space Rangers should be a real show.

That was loving awesome. "Speak loving English!!!" :D

Also yes Dara O'Briain should be in a GTA game. I saw him live a few years ago, absolutely hysterical.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Absolutely. I thought it was more fun than all the fake commercials and Lazlow 2.0 poo poo combined.

As for comedians, if they do decide to go for a '70s setting in the next instalment we could go see Richard Pryor in dive bars. And Redd Foxx. And Mary Tyler Moore. Oh wait

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
My friend and I almost died laughing the first time we saw the ad for Pißwasser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kcQ6H3bEz4

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless
After watching some episodes of the Freelance Astronauts' Vice City LP again, I decided to give it another go on Steam. I forgot how fun these games were. Rampaging through the city on a scooter with VCPR playing, those were the days.

I really do hope Vice City gets a next-gen makeover sometime, I think the 1980s was a perfect decade for the setting.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Maybe it's because I had already seen the Ricky Gervais bits from stand-up performances, but when I first saw him in the game I was disappointed by how emotionless it sounded. It really felt like he was "performing" in a sound booth in front of no one.

I really love Gervais and I'm pretty neutral about Katt Williams, but I thought Katt's ingame bits came off a lot better for some reason.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I don't suppose there's any chance of the PSP games being part of the HD rerelease series on the PS3, is there? I'm not holding my breath because those games probably don't fit into what Sony wants for that series but I'd absolutely buy them, even though I beat them both on the PS2.

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless

ElwoodCuse posted:

I don't suppose there's any chance of the PSP games being part of the HD rerelease series on the PS3, is there? I'm not holding my breath because those games probably don't fit into what Sony wants for that series but I'd absolutely buy them, even though I beat them both on the PS2.

Man, if they did rerelease Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories on modern consoles (Even if they just did straight ports as downloadable "Arcade" titles like San Andreas on Xbox Originals) I'd buy them in a heartbeat. I'd like to see them released on Steam, personally, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon. Shame.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Chuck Woodlington posted:

I really do hope Vice City gets a next-gen makeover sometime, I think the 1980s was a perfect decade for the setting.

I like Vice City because you're placed in the flashy, materialistic part of town from the beginning of the game; the slummy, lovely parts of the city unlock later in the game, by which time you're done with stealing not-Lambos and not-Ferraris.

Do the Steam games play nice with wired Xbox360 controllers?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

spincube posted:

I like Vice City because you're placed in the flashy, materialistic part of town from the beginning of the game; the slummy, lovely parts of the city unlock later in the game, by which time you're done with stealing not-Lambos and not-Ferraris.

Do the Steam games play nice with wired Xbox360 controllers?

You need to use a 3rd party mapper like Xpadder or Joy2Play but once you tweak it, it works well.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Chuck Woodlington posted:

I agree with this. I've been playing Saints Row 2 a bit, and listening to the 80s station with a handful of the same tunes that were in Vice City, and without the setting its just not nearly as entertaining. That plus SR2 is pretty rough around the edges on PC. :(

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I finished TLAD pretty quickly and now I'm on TBOGT. However I really want to nail the cage fighting. I am fine to get to the opponents with weapons but the knife guy gets me everytime.

Anyone got any tips?

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
Cage fighting- I did it at one point for the 100% only, and you just HAVE to learn the disarm maneuver and be able to use it effectively. It's finicky but just work on it. When the knife guys come out, take the knife away and then it's easy. I wasn't able to do it any other way.

quote:

To disarm an opponent, you have to first dodge one of their attacks with the A button, and then press the Y or B button to grab the weapon. It’s all about timing, but can be hard to pull off.

Apparently you can also sit out a round to regain health, I'm not sure if I remember doing that or not.

The comedians and the cabaret acts in GTAIV were OK but I feel like they took it in a weird direction, you are this bad man in a big city and then you go do really banal things with your friends. It seems not very GTA. I did like the drug deal takedowns you could do with your buddies in BofGT, any time they can add more open ended missions like that I like it.

Wabbit fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 25, 2011

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Himuro posted:

Holy gently caress this guy is a pro. I was considering doing a GTA3 speedrun for SDA but watching this makes me feel like there's no point.

Yeah, CannibalK9 is a serious student of the game. The guy who has the current GTAIII record improved on his original run. CannibalK9s 100% run of GTA Vice City is amazing, too. He doesn't do everything in order, but uses missions to get to a particular location, then does jumps, packages, side missions and when he gets stars, he does a rampage. It's sick. He didn't touch a pay-n-spray until probably 75% of the way through the game. He also did a Vice City run in one segment, which is a crazy undertaking. He finished the entire game in two hours without saving... :aaa:

There's a good torrent of the San Andreas run under the High Quality link here: http://speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?GrandTheftAutoSA_PC_609 (direct torrent link). He has a commentary track on secondary audio, where he talks about how long it all took him, how he did certain parts and why he did what he did. Very entertaining.

e: High quality Vice City single-segment run: http://speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?GrandTheftAutoVC_PC_SS_15259 (also has his audio commentary - direct torrent link)

ee: The GTA IV run (not CannibalK9) isn't as impressive, since the taxi and autosave options take all the driving out of the game.

bort fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 26, 2011

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

bort posted:

He also did a Vice City run in one segment, which is a crazy undertaking. He finished the entire game in two hours without saving... :aaa:

Yeah I really like the Vice City single segment run, because I never played the game like that and it is actually really fun to try it. The early missions that are just teaching you how to change clothes and get your phone and stuff and where ammunation is become much more exciting.

The GTA3 run is amazing too, I knew there would be some Dodo flying but drat, that guy is the master.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Wabbit posted:

The GTA3 run is amazing too, I knew there would be some Dodo flying but drat, that guy is the master.
That blew me away, too. His solution to the S.A.M. mission was incredible (nailing the plane so it falls on the dam, then taking off in his own Dodo to avoid the cops).

In the Vice City single segment commentary, CannibalK9 points out an Esperanto he could have stolen that would have saved him time in the Sunshine Autos mission (and beats himself up about it :mmmhmm:). He also had pretty rotten luck with the Cherry Poppers van. In the 100% run, there were two cops on foot that spawned the entire time. In the single-segment run, he gets several cars and nearly gets busted.

bort fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 26, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Jesus Christ this guy is my god. :psyduck: I'm never even going to think of doing a GTA3 speedrun. I can beat the game in 2-3 hours but gently caress this if this guy is my competition.

The l2rebel speedrun of GTA3 is REALLY good.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I've sort of been trying speed run bits for fun (e.g. try to unlock Vice City West in 30 minutes). Attempting to beat these guys is a serious undertaking. The commentary tracks talk about hundreds of attempts and months of optimizing paths to make each segment perfect. The other issue is that even with perfect execution, in GTA you have to get lucky, too. Traffic has to have certain gaps in it, a jump in the Badlands may have a small percentage of landing, or that sports/police car you need may or may not be there when you need it. This adds to the overall "reset and start again" part of speed running, which isn't the fun part anyway.

e: SpeedDemosArchive doesn't have speed runs of Liberty City Stories or Vice City Stories, if you really need to work on something.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Yeah, nothing but a certified 360 controller will work. I tried a Tesun 709 USB controller, xpadder, 360-USB-controller-emulator (crashes the game upon load), joy2key, motioninjoy or whatever that stuff was.. Nothing can fool it into thinking you have a 360 controller.
Kinda sad. Wasted money...

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

bort posted:

I've sort of been trying speed run bits for fun (e.g. try to unlock Vice City West in 30 minutes). Attempting to beat these guys is a serious undertaking. The commentary tracks talk about hundreds of attempts and months of optimizing paths to make each segment perfect. The other issue is that even with perfect execution, in GTA you have to get lucky, too. Traffic has to have certain gaps in it, a jump in the Badlands may have a small percentage of landing, or that sports/police car you need may or may not be there when you need it.

I think you could beat the Vice City time if you did it in three segments - up to sunshine, sunshine, and the rest. But that would be cheap, I love the single segment run because you have to do so much right just to get to sunshine and then you make or break your time based on the car spawns. Then you have some pretty hectic fights after that you can get killed in, like those guys on the ship for the printworks mission.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The problem with a Vice City speed run is that there's so many missions that are kinda required, to my memory. You HAVE to own all of those businesses and do their missions in order to finish the game. Right? I've never looked into speed running Vice City.

That said, I can definitely do East Island in a single segment, but the whole game?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Himuro posted:

The problem with a Vice City speed run is that there's so many missions that are kinda required, to my memory. You HAVE to own all of those businesses and do their missions in order to finish the game. Right? I've never looked into speed running Vice City.

That said, I can definitely do East Island in a single segment, but the whole game?

I know for sure that you need the print works, but I think mostly everything else is optional.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What about The Malibu?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

You have to own five other assets (not including the Vercetti Estate) for the Print Works to unlock Cap the Collector, which then unlocks Keep Your Friends Close... and allows the game to be completed. The fastest/easiest five for a speed run are:
  • Sunshine Autos
  • Cherry Popper Ice Cream Factory
  • Boatyard
  • Pole Position Club
  • Kaufman Cabs
Sunshine Autos is the only one with serious randomness in it, but it's still a lot faster to complete one set of cars than to do the series of missions for The Malibu Club or InterGlobal Studios.

e: CannibalK9's tricks: you can use Cone Crazy to grind up-front cash to buy the properties (I think you need $80K or so?1). Deliberately doing a slow time initially, then beating that time doubles the reward each time. With the Pole Position Club, it's how much money you spend. The quickest strategy is to keep entering and exiting the private dance. Cherry Popper performed by the south west Pay-n-Spray seems to be the least cop-ful area and nearly always has four pedestrians, allowing good star-management. You can also perform a lot of the Kaufman Cab missions in whatever vehicle you want, so using those missions to scout for the first set of cars for Sunshine can save time. Ideally, you travel from West to East in a Blista Compact to get that one out of the way.

ee: also, the rules on SDA are that once a single-segment run beats a multi-segment run's total time, only a single-segment time can beat it.

1The number is $203K. During his run, he does Bar Brawl after Shakedown and has $79K. He then does Cone Crazy 10 times in about 9 minutes to get up to $180K. That and the mission rewards from the successive missions is just enough.

bort fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 28, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I watched the single segment run, the 100% run in 9hours and his gTA3 100% speedrun.

I have 100%'d all those games but he tears the game a new one.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Does anyone know how the Xbox controls for III/VC/SA compare to the PC's? I'm tempted to get them again for the Xbox, but after playing IV alot I'm not sure if I can go back to those clunky PC controls. I mean, do you steer and accelerate smoothly with the LS instead of just L-R and yes-no?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Underflow posted:

Does anyone know how the Xbox controls for III/VC/SA compare to the PC's? I'm tempted to get them again for the Xbox, but after playing IV alot I'm not sure if I can go back to those clunky PC controls. I mean, do you steer and accelerate smoothly with the LS instead of just L-R and yes-no?

They're a lot better than the PC controls, and this is coming from a die-hard pc gamer.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Fayez Butts posted:

They're a lot better than the PC controls, and this is coming from a die-hard pc gamer.

Thanks a lot, I think I'll get that 3-pack I've seen advertised. I used to be totally PC too, but then I got an Xbox and GTA IV.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
A PC + controller is still the best, because of mods.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
PC controls have a learning curve but I can do everything I can do with a gamepad with some practice with the ol' kb+m.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Underflow posted:

I don't know how the xbox controls are mapped, but the PS2 versions have the acceleration on the X button. All the buttons on the dualshock 2 are analog so you get analog acceleration. My guess is that acceleration is mapped to A on the xbox, not the analog stick, so you wouldn't have analog acceleration.

I'm not speaking from experience though. I'm sure someone with the xbox versions can verify.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I think I've had all the fun I could get from mods and editors. Even traffic=clown_cars and peds=mad_grannies_with_rpgs ain't that funny 2nd or 3rd time around.

There are lots of games I'd still get for PC, but anything with a lot of driving or flying seems to go much better with a console.

Btw, is there a way to modify/wire up a wireless Xbox controller to a PC? I have a redundant one I can hack into. Tried making it talk to a standard w/l receiver, but no go.

wa27 posted:

My guess is that acceleration is mapped to A on the xbox, not the analog stick, so you wouldn't have analog acceleration.

That's what I was afraid of initially.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 28, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Digital control matters little for the 3/vc/sa era anyway; the steering model is very different and stuff so you probably wont even miss analog controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Underflow posted:

Btw, is there a way to modify/wire up a wireless Xbox controller to a PC? I have a redundant one I can hack into. Tried making it talk to a standard w/l receiver, but no go.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows-Pc/dp/B000HZFCT2

But as people have said, you're better off on m/k anyway. There are already other converts in this thread.

• Locked thread