Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
KB/M are vastly superior for being on foot but having a ps2 controller or other gamepad just for the driving/flying parts makes them a lot more manageable if you cant stand the default vehicle controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cephalectomy posted:

KB/M are vastly superior for being on foot but having a ps2 controller or other gamepad just for the driving/flying parts makes them a lot more manageable if you cant stand the default vehicle controls.
It doesn't take longer than the time to open a car door and get inside to move your hands from kb/m to the ps2 controller, and that's how I played gta3-vc-sa on PC. I really wish I could have done gta4 that way too. Someone once said even with the xbox360 controller the acceleration didn't feel totally analog, but rather more like 0%-50%-100%, which is better than just all or nothing but still.

Also, I just upgraded from an older 8800gt to a gtx 560 and intend to play a lot more gta4 now that I can max out settings.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Has that always been available? I looked around a lot about a year ago.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

yes, but it sucks.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
drat. I really don't want to race that autist in VC or go through fly school again with a keyboard.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
One thing I found that I couldn't do with the keyboard is wheelspin. Which is a problem when you get to the driving school in SA.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

bort posted:

There's a good torrent of the San Andreas run under the High Quality link here: http://speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?GrandTheftAutoSA_PC_609 (direct torrent link). He has a commentary track on secondary audio, where he talks about how long it all took him, how he did certain parts and why he did what he did. Very entertaining.

Do you know if the normal version has the commentary too? I don't really wanna download 4gb if I don't have to

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Do you know if the normal version has the commentary too? I don't really wanna download 4gb if I don't have to

The normal quality of the Vice City run had commentary. I would bet that would too.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

wa27 posted:

The normal quality of the Vice City run had commentary. I would bet that would too.

Yeah, gently caress it though. The normal version had like 1 seeder and I can't be bothered going through every archive.org link manually. :3

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Underflow posted:

drat. I really don't want to race that autist in VC or go through fly school again with a keyboard.

I played GTAIII and VC like crazy with a keyboard and really enjoyed flying in both. You just have to get used to feathering keys instead of using pressure sensitive triggers/buttons.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fayez Butts posted:

yes, but it sucks.

Never had a problem with mine.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

fennesz posted:

I played GTAIII and VC like crazy with a keyboard and really enjoyed flying in both. You just have to get used to feathering keys instead of using pressure sensitive triggers/buttons.

I could never fly the Dodo, but I had no problem at all flying helis or planes in VC and SA. It's Torino's forced fly school mission that did me in; those loving coronas. Same for the mission where you have to intercept the Mafia jet in your little underpowered Cessna.

I got so fed up the first time that I downloaded a save with fly school passed. Had to go straight to the gym, barber, tattoo shop and Zip, 'cause the saved game had a superfat tattood all over CJ with a mohawk and a purple wifebeater iirc. Second time the pressure was off and things were much easier - except that drat Mafia jet.

Anyway, even if the Xbox version has only limited analog feel to the controls the long drives through Red County/Back O' Beyond/etc. would be worth the money. Not gonna do that again with the keyboad.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I had no problem at all with flying using keyboard, just feather the acceleration if you don't need the speed. The only thing that really sucks is flying a helicopter and shooting things, drat. But that's still hard IMO with a controller, drat you tBoGT for that heli mission!!

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Man, I love that Buzzard in TBoGT. Flying is more fun in 3rd person view, but shooting is far easier in 1st. Those boats fleeing the arms dealer's yacht you just torched are best destroyed with the minigun. I think they're too fast or unpredictable for the rockets.

I love the driving in 1st person view too; so much so that IV is the first in the series where I've gone for 100% completion. Just cruising in your noisy rustmobile, picking off pigeons, enjoying the scenery.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

fennesz posted:

What can you fly in GTA3? I don't remember there being any planes or choppers aside from the police ones you couldn't access. Then didn't VC introduce helis but no planes? It's been so long but the only thing I remember getting airborne in VC are helis and big semi trucks we modded the handling files for and would play online stunt servers to see how far away from the airport we could land our trucks.

Edit: oh god now I remember that horrible little plane! I could never understand why they made it so hard to stay airborne.

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 30, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

GTA 3: Clipped wing dodo plane
GTA:VC Helicopters and a water plane
GTA:SA Heli's, planes, jetacks, VTOL aircraft, etc

Today; In spite of having over 100 unfinished games, I installed GTA:VC and have been playing it for4h straight now; the game is showing its age a bit with regards to the character models but everything else is still a blast.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There is one plane with ridiculously hard to learn controls in GTAIII. It's quite fun to fly once you get the hang of it but it's definitely meant as a joke.

Question: Is the radio station content completely changed in the DLC for GTAIV? Radio Vladivostok seems to have turned into a terrible eurotrash station.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yes, the DLC changes some radio stations, like electrochoc is now the Maisonette DJ channel.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Eurodance is awesome :colbert:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

Today; In spite of having over 100 unfinished games, I installed GTA:VC and have been playing it for4h straight now; the game is showing its age a bit with regards to the character models but everything else is still a blast.

VC isn't that bad, but man is III ugly. Speaking of which, as someone who first played SA, then IV (did not finish but I feel like I'll start playing again soon,) III (did not finish) and lastly VC, I can't understand how someone could look back at the PC version of III and say it was a good game. Was it influential? Yes, highly so, but the models were godawful, the map terrible, the lack of running/climbing/swimming a bit ridiculous, the shotgun holding gangs amazingly overpowered and there was that loving "whoa" animation whenever you failed to jump over something. Was I just loving up or was the PS2 version a lot less frustrating to control? It was certainly surprising to see how much better VC and SA were than the original, which makes me sad to have not gotten any real spin offs this generation.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 31, 2011

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cliff Racer posted:

VC isn't that bad, but man is III ugly. Speaking of which, as someone who first played SA, then IV (did not finish but I feel like I'll start playing again soon,) III (did not finish) and lastly VC, I can't understand how someone could look back at the PC version of III and say it was a good game. Was it influential? Yes, highly so, but the models were godawful, the map terrible, the lack of running/climbing/swimming a bit ridiculous, the shotgun holding gangs ridiculous and there was that loving "whoa" animation whenever you failed to jump over something. Was I just loving up or was the PS2 version a lot less frustrating to control? It was certainly surprising to see how much better VC and SA were than the original, which makes me sad to have not gotten any real spin offs this generation.
It was the first one set in a 3D world with a new engine, at the time I remember thinking the graphics were amazing. Now that youve played games that Rockstar made after they got experience with the engine youve gotten spoiled, no big deal. I find it hard to play III or VC because of no mouselook while driving. Remember that III is 10 years old already.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cliff Racer posted:

VC isn't that bad, but man is III ugly. Speaking of which, as someone who first played SA, then IV (did not finish but I feel like I'll start playing again soon,) III (did not finish) and lastly VC, I can't understand how someone could look back at the PC version of III and say it was a good game. Was it influential? Yes, highly so, but the models were godawful, the map terrible, the lack of running/climbing/swimming a bit ridiculous, the shotgun holding gangs ridiculous and there was that loving "whoa" animation whenever you failed to jump over something. Was I just loving up or was the PS2 version a lot less frustrating to control? It was certainly surprising to see how much better VC and SA were than the original, which makes me sad to have not gotten any real spin offs this generation.

It was way worse on PS2. It ran like absolute rear end, had a draw distance of about 10 feet, and the controls were garbage. When it first came out I heard a bunch of great stuff about it, then I saw the game and played it for about 5 minutes and was incredibly unimpressed.

It was, however, something radically different, and showed a lot of promise that was realized in Vice City and San Andreas (and then mostly lost in IV).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GTA III is to games as Citizen Kane is to cinema. Taken in historical context, it's a masterpiece, and people should probably play through it a bit, but at the end of the day, it isn't anyone's favorite, and after playing it once, you probably wont go back to play it again just for kicks.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

mutata posted:

GTA III is to games as Citizen Kane is to cinema. Taken in historical context, it's a masterpiece, and people should probably play through it a bit, but at the end of the day, it isn't anyone's favorite, and after playing it once, you probably wont go back to play it again just for kicks.

I actually think Liberty City in GTAIII is one of the best (if not the best) setting for a sandbox environment. SA probably beats it due to size and variety, but it's a really great urban environment to dick around in.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I hate to say it but flying a plane in San Andreas was insanely easy on a PS2.

Now mine's gone and I'm stuck with it on PC and it won't even recognize my xbox controller but but i wanna fly a goddamn plane and and and :cry:

edit: wait. i can't seem to recall trying out the xbox controller for GTA:SA on my laptop. welp, here's to hoping it works... (it works beautifully in GTA4)

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

nerdly_dood posted:

I hate to say it but flying a plane in San Andreas was insanely easy on a PS2.

Now mine's gone and I'm stuck with it on PC and it won't even recognize my xbox controller but but i wanna fly a goddamn plane and and and :cry:

edit: wait. i can't seem to recall trying out the xbox controller for GTA:SA on my laptop. welp, here's to hoping it works... (it works beautifully in GTA4)

Man, come on! Flying a plane is easy as poo poo on a pc. Just turn off mouse controls for flying and you're set.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I finished TLaTD the week before last and have been playing TBoGT since then. I have to say it's really good. I heard in reviews that it was better than TLaTD and it's all true.

The characters are better (Gay Tony is awesome, I want to hang out with this guy for real), the missions are better (having to escape in golf cars is memorable) and the side missions are better (dancing and fighting!).

The missions weren't bad in TLaTD but I found the characters really bad, not even close to likeable. Anyone like TLaTD more?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Someone mapped out the streets of Liberty City in Google StreetView. Pretty fun to play around in.

http://www.gta4.net/map/

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

mutata posted:

GTA3 is my favorite GTA.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

davebo posted:

Someone mapped out the streets of Liberty City in Google StreetView. Pretty fun to play around in.

Someone seriously made a street view for GTA IV?

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Himuro posted:

GTA3 is my favorite GTA.

Same. Every few months I'll pop it in, activate some cheat codes and just go on a murder spree for an hour or so.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

davebo posted:

What, no street names? :v:

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Is there any news or ANYTHING that mention something about gta 5 yet?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

washow posted:

Pretty much nothing other than "surely they would be making it".

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Doc Hawkins posted:

What, no street names? :v:

Not on the overhead layout, but if you go into streetview mode, yeah it tells me I'm currently at the intersection of Denver-Exeter Ave and Manganese St.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

Himuro posted:

GTA3 is my favorite GTA.

I'm with this guy. I'm currently up to the third island on GTA III's campaign but put it down when I brought Just Cause 2 the other week. Still a great game IMO as long as you don't go in with the expectation of VC/SA.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I have a GTA story from last nite.

My buddy and I were sitting around the house playing some multiplayer. I'm just hanging out in the airport shooting at guys with a sniper rifle and I see a guy driving a car with all 4 tires blown out, just doing donuts and everyone is ignoring him. I start shooting at him and hear someone screaming over the headset; "No! Don't shoot at him! Just leave him alone, don't kill him!" Well gently caress listening to that guy, so I shot the guy in the tireless car. It was the worst mistake of my multiplayer career. It turns out this guy is the best helicopter pilot in GTA history.
No matter where I went he would just kill me. I hid in the burger place, and the motherfucker hovered to the entrance and started firing. I mean this guy was deadly accurate with the machine guns on the helicopter. There was nowhere to hide. I started keeping track of how many times I was killed. By the time he left the game 3 hours later, I had been killed roughly 230 times. I had only killed him 3 times.

So just a heads up, if you ever run into Noodlez18 rollin around in a tireless car. Leave him the gently caress alone.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

iCaPpY posted:

I'm with this guy. I'm currently up to the third island on GTA III's campaign but put it down when I brought Just Cause 2 the other week. Still a great game IMO as long as you don't go in with the expectation of VC/SA.

GTA III is still the best in my mind for all the things it achieved at the time it was released. It was such a fun game, so much freedom, and superb visuals at the time. Love it.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Untrustable posted:

So I have a GTA story from last nite.

My buddy and I were sitting around the house playing some multiplayer. I'm just hanging out in the airport shooting at guys with a sniper rifle and I see a guy driving a car with all 4 tires blown out, just doing donuts and everyone is ignoring him. I start shooting at him and hear someone screaming over the headset; "No! Don't shoot at him! Just leave him alone, don't kill him!" Well gently caress listening to that guy, so I shot the guy in the tireless car. It was the worst mistake of my multiplayer career. It turns out this guy is the best helicopter pilot in GTA history.
No matter where I went he would just kill me. I hid in the burger place, and the motherfucker hovered to the entrance and started firing. I mean this guy was deadly accurate with the machine guns on the helicopter. There was nowhere to hide. I started keeping track of how many times I was killed. By the time he left the game 3 hours later, I had been killed roughly 230 times. I had only killed him 3 times.

So just a heads up, if you ever run into Noodlez18 rollin around in a tireless car. Leave him the gently caress alone.
I'm one of the unlucky people that can't really play most MMOs because every single player at any given time is a Noodlez18 and I never have a hope of enjoying multiplayer.
And this sounds so loving fun. :smith:
I think it's because chronic myalgia makes it hard for me to fine-tune mouse movements without stressing my muscles holding the mouse extremely tightly..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coagulated
Jul 19, 2010

by Fistgrrl

washow posted:

http://kotaku.com/5778968/is-grand-theft-auto-v-codenamed-rush-and-are-these-its-major-players
Yes. The rumor is that it's going under the codename "Rush", but I can say without any uncertainty that whatever "Rush" is, it takes place in California, probably LA. And judging by the casting call, it is going to own.

Also, old news but this is freaking sweet:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/294435/news/grand-theft-auto-v-outed-by-tweet/

• Locked thread