Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Despite my love for this comic, if Burlow kills the cat I will stop reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ah yes, the 3.5 rogue. Unable to kill a cat.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Actually if the cat counts as an animal companion it might have at least as many hit points as V does.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

Ah yes, the 3.5 rogue. Unable to kill a cat.

Multiclassed with a Ranger. Not exactly a power build.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If that kobold weren't already doomed to be brutally murdered by Belkar, he sure is now.

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Maybe not, but we've seen repeatedly that Belkar is among the most skilled combatants in the world. He all but walked right through the Thieves' Guild immediately after being released from the Mark of Justice.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Pope Guilty posted:

Maybe not, but we've seen repeatedly that Belkar is among the most skilled combatants in the world. He all but walked right through the Thieves' Guild immediately after being released from the Mark of Justice.

The thing I find funny is that, if you were to actually look at Belkar's character sheet, it's so poorly built that you'd have to wonder if the player was doing it on purpose. The situations where Belkar looks like such a superstar is where he's smashing mooks that are clearly far below his CR.

It's like the DM has to throw Belkar's player a bone by making his "arch-rival" a series of kobolds that can't kill a housecat.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A shittily built character with a devious player behind it can be much, much scarier than the opposite.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Riding Dog
+1/1d6+3
AC 16
13HP

(12th Level Druid Equivalent Animal Companion Cat)
2x+10/(1d2-2) +8/(1d3-2)
AC 24
38HP

That riding dog can't beat the cat's AC. And even if it did, it has 1/3rd the HP.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Rangers count as half level for animal companions, so that should actually be 20 AC and 20 HP.

A decent enemy at CR 12 should be able to smear that in one shot.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Yeah, you're right. Easy enough to get the feat that gives +3 to equivalent druid level, though.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Kuroshi posted:

You know, Belkar multiclassed to Barbarian a fairly long time ago. Have we ever seen him use his Rage ability?

I think we're going to soon.

OOooh, good drat call!

I can't wait.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If that riding dog isn't also Yipyakyupwhatever's animal companion, I will be very disappointed in his entirely-imaginary-this-is-not-a-actual-game player. Rangers with mount companions are pretty cool (especially if they're Talenta halflings from Eberron).

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If the kitty dies, I'm going to be sad because I'm going to have to kill Burlow.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Comstar posted:

If the kitty dies, I'm going to be sad because I'm going to have to kill Burlow.

Crohn's Disease is beating you to it! :haw:

edit: now I'm wondering why he's never made a Crone's Disease joke regarding hags and such.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

Crohn's disease is beating you to it! :haw:

How do we know it's Crohn's? Seems like it could be any number of things.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Junk Science posted:

How do we know it's Crohn's? Seems like it could be any number of things.

I thought this was known? Maybe I just read speculation at some point. I totally could have sworn that's what it was.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Apparently at one point in the distant past somebody asked him why his schedule was so inconsistent, and on his forum, Birlew mentioned some symptoms that sounded a lot like Crohn's disease.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Toussaint Louverture posted:

A two-weapon rogue could do scary damage if executed correctly in 3.5. It still didn't hold a candle to casters, however.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Comstar posted:

Burlow

Wanderer posted:

Birlew

Burlew.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Burlieu

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!

Junk Science posted:

Burlieu

Burleaux.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Stopgap posted:

Burleaux.

Brolof.

A deflected bolt says 'pting!' and a piercing bolt 'thunk!' Who would have thunk?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Junk Science posted:

Burlieu

Trace Burlieu.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

New Strip!

Oh god not the kitty!

And thus was the Sexy Shoeless God of War awakened from his terrible slumber.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wanderer posted:

Apparently at one point in the distant past somebody asked him why his schedule was so inconsistent, and on his forum, Birlew[sic] mentioned some symptoms that sounded a lot like Crohn's disease.

Yea, I don't think he has ever discussed his actual diagnosis and treatment, but what he did volunteer sounds a lot like crohn's or severe colitis. It's always hard to be sure obviously, because there is a whole spectrum of conditions that are basically just 'your gut hates you'.

They can be pretty crippling though, if they're severe they mess with proper digestion and absorption and you can end up with anemia and osteopenia, to the point that they will hospitalize you for IV nutrition and transfusions.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DontMockMySmock posted:

Burlew.

I know a guy named Dan Birlew, so I was going to gently caress up Rich Burlew's name sooner or later. I'm glad it at least resulted in comedy.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Ashcans posted:

They can be pretty crippling though, if they're severe they mess with proper digestion and absorption and you can end up with anemia and osteopenia, to the point that they will hospitalize you for IV nutrition and transfusions.

Not to mention the potential rectovesical fistulas. Hardly a pleasant thought.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
As someone who has Crohns, it really really depends on the person. Crohns isn't really a single thing as a series of similar conditions all relating to chronic inflammation of the digestive track. Some poor motherfuckers have it in their esophagus.

Genetics roulette folks!

Hyozo
Feb 24, 2010
New strip!

Am I right in thinking that the joke in panel one is that they're both generally considered horrible?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Hyozo posted:

Am I right in thinking that the joke in panel one is that they're both generally considered horrible?

Yeah.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
More importantly, Elan's :smug: face is the poo poo.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Hyozo posted:

Endurance let you sleep in your armor. Run let you move x5 your speed instead of x4 per round. Both pretty crappy compared to, ya know, being able to teleport to other worlds or create a pocket dimension to rest in.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Elan-Nale strips are always gold.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Endurance let you sleep in your armor. Run let you move x5 your speed instead of x4 per round. Both pretty crappy compared to, ya know, being able to teleport to other worlds or create a pocket dimension to rest in.
I wasn't aware that there were specific feats for those two spells. :v:

A better comparison would've been with, say, Power Attack.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Endurance saved my monk's life on more than one occasion! :colbert:

. . . . okay, okay, only because it was a prerequisite for Diehard.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Elan he already realized that Nale was alive in 789. Did he just pretend to be surprised specifically for the purposes of messing with Nale? Heh.

The arrival of the Linear Guild in 789 has really livened up this plot line. Eliminating Haley right away was a good way to emphasize that things are getting serious and fast.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
And now we don't have to have the "Why Flesh-to-Stone the Rogue" arguement anymore because it was all part of the convoluted plan to isolate Elan and bring him to Nale.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's a pretty good argument for anything stupid or not-optimal the linear guild does, it was Nale's plan.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Maldraedior posted:

And now we don't have to have the "Why Flesh-to-Stone the Rogue" arguement anymore because it was all part of the convoluted plan to isolate Elan and bring him to Nale.

The question is, does the miniaturized statue turn into full size if it hits Nale's forehead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Poil posted:

I wasn't aware that there were specific feats for those two spells. :v:

A better comparison would've been with, say, Power Attack.

Spells beat feats 9 times outta 10.