Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

DejasPer posted:

How should I pronounce this name?

Luay Nakhleh(لؤي نخله)

Thanks.
Loo-EYE NACK-leh, or Loo-EYE Nack-LEH, whichever one the person prefers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rlyss
Dec 27, 2006
So I says to Mabel, I says...
I'm trying to find a film that I think has been mentioned on SA a few times. I haven't seen it but I've read about it. All I can remember is something like:

- It might be a documentary
- It's incredibly sad
- It's about a man who has been killed or has suicided
- Much of the film is about the reactions/stories from people who loved him

Does anyone have any ideas?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Rlyss posted:

I'm trying to find a film that I think has been mentioned on SA a few times. I haven't seen it but I've read about it. All I can remember is something like:

- It might be a documentary
- It's incredibly sad
- It's about a man who has been killed or has suicided
- Much of the film is about the reactions/stories from people who loved him

Does anyone have any ideas?

You should ask those questions here but the answer you're looking for is probably Dear Zachary.

Rlyss
Dec 27, 2006
So I says to Mabel, I says...

Gobbeldygook posted:

You should ask those questions here but the answer you're looking for is probably Dear Zachary.

That's it, thank you!

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I'm talking often with a girl who lives in Winnipeg, Canada, and I live in the US. I'm on AT&T and have no international plan, while she has an international plan with her home phone. She assures me that I won't get charged at all for talking with her, as long as she dials me, yet I'm concerned that I'll still be charged an exorbitant amount of money. International texting is 0.25 outbound and 0.20 inbound, which is where my worries stem from--if I'm charged from inbound international texting, I'm skeptical I'm not being charged for inbound international calls.

So, basically--If someone calls me, in the US, from Canada, will I get charged?

(We mainly talk at night so this doesn't use my minutes, so unless there's an international charge this should be free)

e:VVVV Helps me add another bulletpoint to Why_I_Should_Switch_To_Verion.txt

Dickweasel Alpha fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 28, 2011

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

I'm talking often with a girl who lives in Winnipeg, Canada, and I live in the US. I'm on AT&T and have no international plan, while she has an international plan with her home phone. She assures me that I won't get charged at all for talking with her, as long as she dials me, yet I'm concerned that I'll still be charged an exorbitant amount of money. International texting is 0.25 outbound and 0.20 inbound, which is where my worries stem from--if I'm charged from inbound international texting, I'm skeptical I'm not being charged for inbound international calls.

(We mainly talk at night so this doesn't use my minutes, so unless there's an international charge this should be free)

I text a few Canadiens all the time with no international plan and have never seen any additional charges. I'm on Verizon if this helps.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

e:VVVV Helps me add another bulletpoint to Why_I_Should_Switch_To_Verion.txt

Receiving calls are always the same no matter where the caller is. You will be charged the same for the minutes whether it's the girl or your neighbour.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Could Superman survive in modern day society without having his identity discovered or being tracked? I was just thinking about this, so thought it might be something fun to ask you guys. There are two scenarios in particular that I've been thinking about.

Let's assume for whatever reason that Superman flies a considerable distance from the place he lives to the city in which he saves people. Would government satellites be able to track the position of Superman as he flew across the globe? Would he be detectable using current missile detection technology? Is it accurate enough to track Superman as he goes home for the night?

Now let's assume that Superman lives in the city in 'works'. During the course of a normal day, Clark Kent realises he needs to change into Superman to go off and do some saving. He does so by entering a building and changing when no one is looking. So: How difficult would it be to avoid discovery considering the amount of cameras both inside and outside modern day buildings. Wouldn't it be easy to determine Superman's identity by keeping track of who came into a building but never left?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Or, you know, someone might notice that Clark Kent looks like Superman with glasses, and also that he has the same voice and presumably accent.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

BonHair posted:

Or, you know, someone might notice that Clark Kent looks like Superman with glasses, and also that he has the same voice and presumably accent.

Superman was just the first superhero who flies that I thought of. Pretend superman wears a mask. Doing everything he possibly can to go undiscovered, basically.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Shakugan posted:

Superman was just the first superhero who flies that I thought of. Pretend superman wears a mask. Doing everything he possibly can to go undiscovered, basically.

Ultimately your question involves applying real world rules to characters who obviously do not operate on real world rules. Superman's speed would theoretically let him move so fast as to be undetectable, even to the naked eye, but would also cause sonic booms and unbelievable gusts of wind. And if he ever moved at relativistic speeds, some real crazy poo poo might happen. Light speed never works the same in fiction as it would in real life.

I would say that if any heavily super powered person existed in real life, and gave any indication of their existence, a lot of people would be working extremely hard to track them down and they'd eventually succeed unless the person went into deep hiding and never used their powers in any way that could be seen or detected.

And if you'd like to read a great book on the idea, check out Superman: Secret Identity

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Been shaving with a safety razor for years. What are the numbers on the blades for (1, 2, 3 and 4)? Is that for "four" shaveable edges?

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good bar/lounge/restaurant in Boston, MA? I know that sounds like a ridiculous question, but hear me out. It's for a monday night, for my sister and I. We're in our twenties and she's married, so we're not looking for a place to get hit on but also not a place to chill with forty year olds. She's visting from Brazil and is travelling light, so it can't be too fancy. At the same time, however, I want us to go to a decent place since she's visiting the city. Preferably t-accessible.

e: forgot we had a lan subforum, posting this there too.

Rekkit fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 29, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

The Aphasian posted:

Been shaving with a safety razor for years. What are the numbers on the blades for (1, 2, 3 and 4)? Is that for "four" shaveable edges?

Pretty sure it so you can keep track of which edge you've used. You can rotate through 1-4 before exchanging for a new blade, etc.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Aphasian posted:

Ask here!

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Is there any legal way to get HBO without getting a cable/dish package? My husband would really like to start watching the Game of Thrones show, but we don't have the option of getting HBO the usual way.

Basically what I'm asking is, is there any way to get HBO online or even through our iPhones?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Shakugan posted:

I believe Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen is one of the more realistically portrayed "superheroes" if you want to check that out. As realistic as one can be I suppose.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Randomity posted:

Is there any legal way to get HBO without getting a cable/dish package? My husband would really like to start watching the Game of Thrones show, but we don't have the option of getting HBO the usual way.

Basically what I'm asking is, is there any way to get HBO online or even through our iPhones?

HBOGo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shakugan posted:

HBOGo

But keep in mind this is only if you have a subscription for HBO through a participating cable/dish package. Otherwise, no there isn't. But in this day in age it seems like it won't be that way for too long.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Shakugan posted:

HBOGo

Pretty sure the only way to use this is to be a normal HBO subscriber (though it does have iPhone/iPad apps for it). If you wanted to watch online exclusively, you'd still have to be paying for some sort of service from them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rekkit posted:

Can anyone recommend a good bar/lounge/restaurant in Boston, MA? I know that sounds like a ridiculous question, but hear me out. It's for a monday night, for my sister and I. We're in our twenties and she's married, so we're not looking for a place to get hit on but also not a place to chill with forty year olds. She's visting from Brazil and is travelling light, so it can't be too fancy. At the same time, however, I want us to go to a decent place since she's visiting the city. Preferably t-accessible.

e: forgot we had a lan subforum, posting this there too.

You could ask in the Boston thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3076721
Depending on what T stop you'd be staying nearest, there should be plenty of options. There's also the Brazilian section of Inman in Cambridge, if that would interest you guys.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Can rock salt fired from a shotgun be fatal?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Raimundus posted:

Can rock salt fired from a shotgun be fatal?

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot33.htm

At point-blank range, right in the face, probably. As you can see though, anything over 5 or 10 yards and it might not even scratch you.

That site is really awesome for all sorts of random gun effectiveness/penetration questions too.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

feedmyleg posted:

But keep in mind this is only if you have a subscription for HBO through a participating cable/dish package. Otherwise, no there isn't. But in this day in age it seems like it won't be that way for too long.

Yeah I read about this but we just don't have that option. :/ Wish they had an online-only option.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Pweller posted:

Pretty sure it so you can keep track of which edge you've used. You can rotate through 1-4 before exchanging for a new blade, etc.

They don't mean anything. They're just production numbers.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Randomity posted:

Yeah I read about this but we just don't have that option. :/ Wish they had an online-only option.

Yeah, I don't get HBOgo because I'm subscribed through Time Warner, it sucks.

I guess my related question is; why do so many companies seem so behind on the times?
I think I understand ad revenue, but we don't get commercials on HBO, so I don't understand why some people can't simply get an online subscription.

Is it because of cable companies? Is it because of an outdated profit strategy?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Barnum posted:

I guess my related question is; why do so many companies seem so behind on the times?

Online video in general is still in its infancy and no one wants to take that first huge step. Even a pioneer like Hulu has yet to turn a profit for its investors, which is probably not helping other media companies get onboard.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
I need pig-themed party supplies. Anywhere specific I can look?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Barnum posted:

I think I understand ad revenue, but we don't get commercials on HBO, so I don't understand why some people can't simply get an online subscription.

Is it because of cable companies? Is it because of an outdated profit strategy?

Yes. These companies were formed based on technologies and content libraries that existed 30 years ago, technology which is quickly becoming obsolete, but they still want to hold on to it because that's what they're set up for. Companies try to keep up with new technologies and trends, and they do for awhile, but often it ends up that they're left behind while newcomers grab the really innovative set-up. In this case, it's Netflix. If you're interested in this, I'd recommend reading this article about Netflix's founder, and how he's utterly trouncing the Cable providers while at the same time using them to circumnavigate hollywood http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/17-10/ff_netflix?currentPage=1

Elijya fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 30, 2011

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
When I upload a video to youtube, it appears fine in the thumbnail for the video, but in actually watching it the aspect ratio adds a large black border both vertically and horizontally. This didn't happen before, and I don't think I'm doing anything differently. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Edit: I'm stupid for not researching first. Just gotta add yt:crop=16:9 to the tags

Vinigre fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 30, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

But also read this for a more negative look on Netflix's streaming licensing woes.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Barnum posted:

Is there noone you know who could subscribe and you can use their online access code?

Here in the UK, Sky offer Skyplayer, which is online streaming of their core channels as well as movies and sports if the base account subscribes to them. Every subscriber gets to nominate one or two PCs to use to watch online with, as well as one Xbox 360. Doesn't matter where you are geographically, you could be 300 miles away and still be watching.

Or is HBOgo worked differently?

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
My iGoogle has suddenly decided to pretend I don't have any apps installed- it just displays a blank screen under the search bar. It still registered I have them- if I try to remove applications/edit applications, they are all listed, but are not displaying.

This is only really annoying for the GMail plugin- could someone help me out on how to fix this?
Running Firefox 4.0.1, Windows 7.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I have a 1-2 year old French Sony Vaio laptop that was left with me when some friends moved back to France. It has no RAM, hard drive, battery or power cord. Is this something anyone would be interested in paying for or should I just turn it into some sort of art project? To the best of my knowledge it would work fine if it had the necessary missing pieces.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nesbit37 posted:

I have a 1-2 year old French Sony Vaio laptop that was left with me when some friends moved back to France. It has no RAM, hard drive, battery or power cord. Is this something anyone would be interested in paying for or should I just turn it into some sort of art project? To the best of my knowledge it would work fine if it had the necessary missing pieces.

It's worth at least a couple hundred dollars if it does work. That mainboard and LCD are the valuable parts.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I last used Afrin on Wednesday. When is it kosher to use it again? They say don't use it more than 3 days in a row, but don't say when it's safe to use again.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Is there a word for those ridiculous bathing suits that stretch from the neck to the crotch but don't cover the sides at all? Like the one Borat wore.

e: Thanks Golbez. How's Zemus?

Golbez posted:

I last used Afrin on Wednesday. When is it kosher to use it again? They say don't use it more than 3 days in a row, but don't say when it's safe to use again.

It's an over the counter medicine, so it's not going to do you any major harm unless you go crazy with it. Suggested doses for over the counter meds are usually well below any limits of concern. From the wiki:

"Afrin is a brand of nasal spray used to ease nasal congestion that is available over-the-counter in the USA. The generic name for this medication is Oxymetazoline hydrochloride. While useful in the short-term, 12-hour relief for sinus congestion, prolonged use (in excess of three days) may result in rebound congestion (rhinitis medicamentosa). This can cause a dependency on the product; recovery may take some time."

"Rhinitis medicamentosa (or RM) is a condition of rebound nasal congestion brought on by extended use of topical decongestants (e.g., oxymetazoline, phenylephrine, xylometazoline, and naphazoline nasal sprays) that work by constricting blood vessels in the lining of the nose. This condition typically occurs after 5 to 7 days of use of such medications. Patients often try increasing both the dose and the frequency of nasal sprays upon the onset of RM, worsening the condition. The swelling of the nasal passages caused by rebound congestion may eventually result in permanent turbinate hyperplasia, which may block nasal breathing until surgically removed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinitis_medicamentosa

Elijya fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 30, 2011

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
In Media Monkey, how can I ignore the "Album Artist"? A lot of my stuff is tagged poorly so some songs have the Album and Album Artist as different things so in the Artist and Album Artist column they show up twice which is really annoying.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Elijya posted:

Is there a word for those ridiculous bathing suits that stretch from the neck to the crotch but don't cover the sides at all? Like the one Borat wore.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

The sling bikini is also known as a "suspender bikini", "suspender thong", "slingshot bikini" or just "slingshot". It is a one-piece suit which provides as little, or even less, coverage (or as much exposure) as a bikini. Usually, a slingshot resembles a bikini bottom, but rather than the straps going around the hips or waist, the side straps extend upwards to cover the breasts and go over the shoulders, leaving the entire sides of the torso uncovered, but the nipples and pubic area covered. Behind the neck, the straps join and reach down the back to the buttocks to become a thong. The variation of sling bikinis that has the straps simply encircle the neck and another set of straps pass around the midriff, instead of the straps passing over the neck and down the back, is called a pretzel bikini. Corresponding to the advent of Lycra, these bikinis first emerged in the early 1990s, and is more popular on the beaches of Europe including Saint-Tropez, Marabella, Mykonos and Ibiza. Suspender-like straps that running between the breasts and around the neck held the suit up were introduced in the mainstream in 1994. News reports said that within a week of putting the suit on their racks, New York's major stores had sold 150. San Francisco women turned deaf ears to clergymen's warnings that "nakedness and paganism go hand in hand." By season's end, the tally sold was 3000 plus, at $24 a suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Rockhopper
Oct 2, 2008
Sitting near İstiklal Street ın İstanbul and I can hear chanting and shouting outside. Any idea what's going on? I'm a goon and therefore really don't wanna move my rear end from this chair to find out if possible.