Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I find it amazing just how well engineered even the tiniest lego piece is. Like how the head of the mini-fig shaped trophy that comes with the karate champion mini-fig fits exactly into the hand of said figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

I find it amazing just how well engineered even the tiniest lego piece is. Like how the head of the mini-fig shaped trophy that comes with the karate champion mini-fig fits exactly into the hand of said figure.

And the fact that you can use that same trophy on minifigs from the earliest lego sets, too. Or accessories from the earliets sets on the newest minifigs. That kind of engineering is "invisible". It just works, but the attention to detail behind the scenes to make it work is astounding.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

stratdax posted:

And the fact that you can use that same trophy on minifigs from the earliest lego sets, too. Or accessories from the earliets sets on the newest minifigs. That kind of engineering is "invisible". It just works, but the attention to detail behind the scenes to make it work is astounding.

It's also what makes Lego so expensive. The fact that bricks have dimensional stability over 5 decades is amazing.
Fine-tuning the mold isn't really the problem, but the polymer needs to be cooled very slowly to ensure that no residual stresses remain in the brick, that would warp its shape over time. This long cooling time drives up the cost considerably.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

They fit really well. I was sure the wedges would stick inside the brick, but they slid out smoothly without being loose. I can see this being useful for furniture details, with the wedges as legs.

The Flickr group 'LEGO Techniques' has lots more like that, and it might make you feel like :suicide:, but mostly you'll :stare:.

The gateway to madness: http://www.flickr.com/groups/788191@N24/.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Schindler's Fist posted:

The Flickr group 'LEGO Techniques' has lots more like that, and it might make you feel like :suicide:, but mostly you'll :stare:.

The gateway to madness: http://www.flickr.com/groups/788191@N24/.

My god... It's full of stars...

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I... I think I just came.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

stratdax posted:

Lego backwards compatibility!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I am starting to find some slight incompatibility with minifig parts though. Some arms are a bit loose in some torsos, even if they're all new parts from around the same time (the mime's arms in the Buzz Lightyear torso for instance). And a lot of my legs are pretty stiff, to the point of stressing the plastic if I move them too much. I didn't notice how old or new they are since I've mixed so many parts willy-nilly.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Super Waffle posted:

Something that really impressed me is the gap in the Atlantis Sharkmen's teeth is the same size as figure hands, so they can hold weapons in their mouths. I don't know why that's so cool to me, but it is!

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Saint Sputnik posted:

Some arms are a bit loose in some torsos, even if they're all new parts from around the same time (the mime's arms in the Buzz Lightyear torso for instance).

That's probably due more to the fact that switching the arms stresses the arm holes.
That's why it's one of LEGO's "illegal" techniques.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Flavor Bear posted:

That's probably due more to the fact that switching the arms stresses the arm holes.
That's why it's one of LEGO's "illegal" techniques.

Shoot, I do it pretty often. Sometimes hands too, though that seems even riskier.
e: While looking up "illegal" connections I found this presentation that I guess a company designer put together.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 26, 2011

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Saint Sputnik posted:

Shoot, I do it pretty often. Sometimes hands too, though that seems even riskier.
e: While looking up "illegal" connections I found this presentation that I guess a company designer put together.

That was really interesting.

"Technic holes are slightly smaller than those of System. You can connect a single stud into a single Technic hole and a child can still take them apart. Any more than that and the resistance becomes too great and there is the potential for elements (and children) being stressed."

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I've seen that thing before (I think that's the one I saw) and it's one of the things that makes me admire the company so much. They just want people to get the best use out of their product and don't want kids' playtime to be compromised.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Using slide 34 for my next presentation to the executives. gently caress that's awesome.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
It's interesting, on slide 19/20 the illegal connection is used in some Harry Potter sets as Hagrids wand

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw, I used to do the one at the bottom of 24 all the time.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Fozzie Bear posted:

It's interesting, on slide 19/20 the illegal connection is used in some Harry Potter sets as Hagrids wand

But is that trans-on-trans? As it says, it's principally for polycarbonate-on-polycarbonate connections, so if one or both are ABS, it should be fine.
I sure remember doing some connections like that and being completely unable to remove the cone from the antenna as a kid. When I came back to my Lego as an adult, I actually had a few of those connected elements in the box, and I still had to use a hard surface and a lot of force to separate the elements.

Edit-drat, I've been watching an ebay auction for a few days. 35 pounds of mostly Classic space with 75 minifigs (65 of them classic space) and pretty much every space set from back then. It was at $50 when I first saw it, and I figured "Ooh, I hope it stays relatively low. I'd jump to pay $200 for that, even with $40 shipping". It jumped up to $300 earlier today, and just closed for $466. :( No way could I bring myself to spend $500.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 28, 2011

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There was a thrift store in San Jose that had a lot classic mini figs for sale. Something like one dollar a fig. All I remember is that it was a few blocks away from my hotel, and across the street from a medical pot dispensary.

Edit: This was back in February.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Saw this on Facebook this morning. Apparently they are available at Lego stores now and, from what I've heard, they're not glued or anything.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Saw this on Facebook this morning. Apparently they are available at Lego stores now and, from what I've heard, they're not glued or anything.

That's what they should have been doing with the collectible minifigs :argh:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

InfinEight posted:

That's what they should have been doing with the collectible minifigs :argh:

Spartan five-packs.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Brickset says they're made in China, which I guess means they're made of cheaper plastic. I dunno, but apparently it's been an issue with those 5-packs in the past.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Flavor Bear posted:

Brickset says they're made in China, which I guess means they're made of cheaper plastic. I dunno, but apparently it's been an issue with those 5-packs in the past.

It has. I bought one of the Castle battlepacks and they were s little bit cheaper made. I figured my money is better spent on buying extra sets to get the same minifigs in higher quality plus extra parts.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Why two aliens, two space men and then random "space" accountant guy?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm guessing he's supposed to be a random human victim.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

thebardyspoon posted:

He's an alien kidnap victim.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:
That's Splork Kent, Mild Mannered Accountant by day and Ravenous Space Bandit by Night after all the Earth Women.

Either that or it's Cillian Murphy, which is the same thing, really.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

That really looks like a bad knockoff or something you'd find in a dollar store. Why would Lego do that, especially if it's not up to the same quality standards as the regular minifigs? And sell them in their official stores?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeesh, yeah those blister packs arent my favourite thing to come out of Ninjago.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

SynthOrange posted:

Yeesh, yeah those blister packs arent my favourite thing to come out of Ninjago.

The blister packs have been around a lot longer than that. The design is different, but the figure packs have always been clear plastic.

The Chinese-made stuff is mostly up to the quality of the rest these days, but the problem is the way they're packaged with the weapons. If they sit on the shelf too long, all those hands will have lost their grip by the time they're opened.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this; it's a page from the 1988 LEGO catalog that my mom, for reason's best known to herself, has held onto for the last 23 years:

As a HUGE Technic nerd, I had (actually still have) everything on this page except the tractor and dirt buggy, and the test car was my pride and joy - a 10th birthday present my dad swears up and down he would never have wasted a whopping 58 pounds on.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I had that dirt buggy.

I never really liked Technik as much as normal lego. When I was little I started asking for them instead of normal lego because the age on the box was my age and I wanted to be a Big Kid. But I never had fun with them and eventually I just admitted I'd rather have castles and pirate ships and spacemen.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saint Sputnik posted:

quote:

Possible answers:
a. No
b. No Comment
c. Nej
d. Yes, but it’s not my fault
e. Maybe, but maybe like when your
mom says “Maybe I’ll buy that for you if you
behave while in the store.” Refer to ‘a’ for
clarification.
heh

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Granite Octopus posted:

That really looks like a bad knockoff or something you'd find in a dollar store. Why would Lego do that, especially if it's not up to the same quality standards as the regular minifigs? And sell them in their official stores?

Actually, I'm kicking myself for not getting a blister pack of knights that I saw one time in an official store. When I went back, they were gone. But, one of the employees was smart, and for the same price, he managed to find my two very small sets that came with a total of 5 knights. So, not bad. I guess it depends on how many different sets there are for the line you're interested in.

Testro
May 2, 2009
My older brother had 8853 out of those Technic sets. I felt much the same about Technic and my failure to progress to Technic was what contributed to my dark age (too old to be playing with Lego; no interest in playing with Technic). I think the sets are pretty innovative in the way that they work, but not as fun to build.

That Test Car looks pretty awesome though, I have to say!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I was too young and poor for it at the time, but I always wanted this set so bad: http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/5550-1

I mean, look at that thing. Model Team was so gnarly. I'm surprised how cheap it is on Bricklink, compared to other sets from the same time period.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Anyone here modded on a Crows nest to the IF or any other lego ship before? I was designing one in LDD just then and got one half decent but the colours I wanted don't seem to be available :(

EDIT:

Not sure on colour, I want black railings, but the floor to be the same colour as the mast but that doesn't exist :(

Ingram fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 29, 2011

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Ingram posted:

Anyone here modded on a Crows nest to the IF or any other lego ship before? I was designing one in LDD just then and got one half decent but the colours I wanted don't seem to be available :(

EDIT:

Not sure on colour, I want black railings, but the floor to be the same colour as the mast but that doesn't exist :(

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30565

and

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30357

both exist in brown if that helps.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Having gone to see the Thunderbirds perform at the USAF Academy graduation the other day, I've been itching to build an awesome fighter jet in LDD.

Work in progress: F-22 Raptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Woo, just won a Cosmic Fleet Voyager for $51! Less than it usually goes for, although it doesn't have instructions. I'm one step closer to having all the of the Space 'flagships' throughout the years. Still need the Galaxy Explorer, Galaxy Commander, and ETX Alien Mothership Assault (which had vanished from stores just as I started buying again).

Going through the list, I just realized how uncommon it is for both 'sides' of a theme to have flagships; usually it's one ship, one base, but Mars Mission is the only real exception. Also, it's interesting how the 'big' sets back then have about half the pieces of a modern theme's big set.

There's a couple other larger ships that aren't quite the size of the usual Flagship, like Blacktron's Renegade, Insectiods' Celestial Stinger, and UFO's Interstellar Starfighter I'd like to snag, though.