Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Hot Buttered posted:

I agree with Gnarly. This is loving rad. It's not getting enough love.

Yeah, both the frame and the engine are gorgeous...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Thanks for the kind words. I'm hoping it all comes out pretty decent. I've got the forks apart now and am doing the same gloss black with red/yellow/yellow/blue accents on the lowers. Should be pretty cool when it's all back together.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I got impulsive on ebay the other night and paid stupid little money for this 85 R80 G/S. I'm gonna do the opposite of my giant fat GS and keep this one simple.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
^ NIce-looking' R80! That's pretty much my dream bike right there. Someday... :allears:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It needs the round valve covers though.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It needs the round valve covers though.

I'm actually a fan of the newer valve covers on the G/S'. They were new enough to look good back then. The whole bike reminds me of the awesome era that was mid 80's european motorsports and the valve covers looked cool enough to work. On the later GS Airheads I agree the /5 covers look good because the rest of the bike looks like some horrible 90's pastel splash abomination. I'm gonna keep the later covers on the G/S.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
New mount in the stable.

2001 Suzuki SV650
8890 Miles
Originally up on craigs for $2800. I had originally talked with the guy 2 weeks ago but couldn't get up to see it (60 miles away) and then was on vacation. Saw him post it up again yesterday and drove up today. Handles great, motor runs perfect, not a drat scratch on it. The fork seals do need to be redone, not gone yet but dried out and starting to crack a little. After talking with him handed him $2k in cash (cash talks!) and loaded it onto my truck.

Love the color. Funny thing is (and completely unplanned) my new truck (Ford F150) gets delivered in 2 weeks and is almost the exact same color.

Current plans are a suspension upgrade to the springs to handle my weight better (yes I am a fat fucker).
Probably change out the exhaust from the stock one, more to get rid of the huge chrome one.
Some basic luggage to carry stuff when going on trips out side of town.

Tindjin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 28, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Congrats, that's a great deal!

beneatsfood
Feb 19, 2008
I was a lucky bastard and won a raffle last june and got my hands on my eliminator 125. Not too bad for a first bike :cool:

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

beneatsfood posted:

I was a lucky bastard and won a raffle last june and got my hands on my eliminator 125. Not too bad for a first bike :cool:

Nice! Better than paying for it and when you want to upgrade it's like a (almost) free down payment.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Gnaghi posted:

With more stuff like the Can Am coming out I wonder why nobody can title four wheelers for use on road. If some states say lights and a plate is enough for a dirtbike, why not an ATV?
Because most states consider anything with 4 wheels as a car or truck requiring them to meet car and truck standards and not motorcycle standards which require 2 or 3 wheels and an engine. It's a statutory problem. Some people here in NYC do register and plate 4 wheelers but they do so at sketchy shops and it isn't actually legal to the best of my knowledge.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can plate and ride an ATV on the street legally here in Az.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

You can plate and ride an ATV on the street legally here in Az.

Pretty sure you can in FL too, at least those ones that have the roll cage. Needs lights and all that, but other than that you're pretty much set.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

beneatsfood posted:

This is the bike I rode when I took the MSF course. Those things are TINY, but more than capable of dragging footpegs.

Congrats!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

evilnissan posted:

gently caress the haters, I think there neat.

I still want to take one out for a spin just to see how they handle.
I was out riding my little Ninjette and I came up behind some old guy riding a Can Am Spider on a local twisty back road. Once he noticed me behind him he picked up the pace and nearly binned it around every corner; I was cruising behind him one-handed most of the time.
We stopped at the same gas station and he was telling me how he was so impressed that I kept up with him because none of his Harley riding friends can. I didn't have the heart to tell him. :(
I think he tried following me back through when I left the gas station, but I never saw him again after the first turn.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Picked her up yesterday. Pictures taken right before I frantically rushed the bike into cover as a huge lighting bolt struck across the sky and rain started pouring down.

The bike is pretty filthy right now; the amount of dust on the Termi exhausts would make some old Duc guys cry.

In the second pic you can kinda see the little Italian flag sewn into the right side of the Sargent seat. I feel like I should speak to it with an Italian accent.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008
Just picked this up after searching for months to find the right one...
'86 Yamaha RZ350 two-stroke
CBR929RR front forks & brakes
FZR600 rear swingarm and shock
Spec II pipes, ported, reeds, etc
Painted in R1/R6 SE Kenny Roberts colors

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*

B.Wales! posted:

Awesome, but why not the FZR600 rear wheel? A big fat rear wheel would make it look even better!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Beautiful.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Both of those bikes are awesome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

B.Wales! posted:

drat that is a cool bike

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
Just got this last week, 2011 Harley Sportster 1200. She is gorgeous!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

B.Wales! posted:

I love the colours for that bike, now you just need a helmet like this to go with it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

second best sponge posted:

The things Harley is doing with their gas tanks these days is awesome. If only they were larger.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
hey I haven't been around here in a few years since I got rid of my interceptor and GSX-R 750 but they opened up a track here so I had to get back into. Always wanted a ninja anyways.

anyone know if I get a set smoked euro signals if they will solder right in?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A set of euro signals will fit right in, you'll have to remove the stock triangle pieces. Sometimes they don't fit perfect, depending on if you get the cheap chinese ones or not. Welcome back :)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Welcome to the 636 club! If your bike isn't already -1 +2, I highly recommend it.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Nice! I really do like the looks of the new '48. That fat front tire just looks right on a Sportster (though I may be prejudiced since I converted mine to a 16 front wide glide)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My dad's new bike has some funny looking switches on it:

It's a 2011 Road King police bike. He replaced the red and blue lights already, but they'll still flash if you use the switch. Other notable features include a slightly larger 103 cubic inch engine and saddlebags with knobs on the lids instead of the normal latches.

I was way too lazy to roll it outside for pictures, so maybe I'll take it for a ride this weekend or actually get him to go out with me

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Have we seen that XR yet?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SaucyPants posted:

hey I haven't been around here in a few years since I got rid of my interceptor and GSX-R 750 but they opened up a track here so I had to get back into. Always wanted a ninja anyways.

anyone know if I get a set smoked euro signals if they will solder right in?

Welcome fellow titanium 636 rider!
Yes, all those stupid stickers are gone.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

Have we seen that XR yet?

Probably, but here's a shot from when the paint job was fresh.

Technically not a Harley, but the factory race team used them for short track races for a few years. So my dad was able to snag a few of the proper decals and get it set up like one.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

It looks Awesome. Although, if its technically not a Harley what is it?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

B.Wales! posted:

:swoon:

Deeters posted:

Probably, but here's a shot from when the paint job was fresh.

Technically not a Harley, but the factory race team used them for short track races for a few years. So my dad was able to snag a few of the proper decals and get it set up like one.

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

the walkin dude posted:

Speaking of Can Ams, I saw a TV ad for those things the other day. It showed a few Can Ams taking on the twisties. The riders stayed perfectly straight up vertical on their trikes. It looked like the most boring thing ever.

The Spyder, just from a technicians point of view, they are full of ghosts and problems. Give them a few years to work them out and they should be fine. My dealership has sold 2 and we have been seeing them too often.

Out of all the Harley line I like the Sporsters the most. Im not sure why but I just find them they best looking.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 5, 2011

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

It looks Awesome. Although, if its technically not a Harley what is it?

It's a Rotax 600cc engine in a Knight (I think) frame. It's basically a kit bike: guys would buy the engine, one of a bunch of different brands of frames to fit it, and all the rest of the parts they wanted. Now it's obsolete since modern 450s offer the same amount of power with less weight and can be ready to race with just a few small modifications. But for the level of racing my dad does, it's still awesome.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Deeters posted:

It's a Rotax 600cc engine in a Knight (I think) frame. It's basically a kit bike: guys would buy the engine, one of a bunch of different brands of frames to fit it, and all the rest of the parts they wanted. Now it's obsolete since modern 450s offer the same amount of power with less weight and can be ready to race with just a few small modifications. But for the level of racing my dad does, it's still awesome.

Cool, so it's just like one of these:

I thought maybe you meant is was a modern Aermacchi or something.

cheesebot fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 6, 2011

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

You're swapping tanks too, or just the plastic? Because black tank with yellow plastics sounds pretty rad (at least in my mind picture).

Not really :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

mattfl posted:

Welcome fellow titanium 636 rider!
Yes, all those stupid stickers are gone.

is that your bike? did it start of as an SE and then get repainted or was it a regular 636 and then got painted titanium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

websterandwebster
Feb 20, 2007
Got my second bike after a year on the 250 crapcycle

Pretty much wanted a Bonneville since I started riding in earnest. Got it in January. Done about 2,000 kms so far and loving it.

Got the British Customs pipes put on about a month or so ago, cause the stock ones are weak. Sounds like and actual motorcycle now, instead of a sewing machine.

Action shots from yesterday.