Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

ShowTime posted:

Well. This is very tempting. I was holding out for the Evo 3d because of power, but $100 difference might do it. Must think about this.

Tatsujin posted:

Woah, I had no idea the Nexus S was 99$ upgrade on Amazon. This makes me a lot happier.

Epic 4G upgrade is a penny too.

PM me if you decide on this, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Matlock posted:

PM me if you decide on this, guys.

Why?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

ShowTime posted:

Why?

You have a PM. :)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Shady business going on in the Sprint thread.

re: $900 world phone, if only businesses are gonna buy it anyway, why not tack on an extra few hundred?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Nah, shady business would be me returning the Epic I just bought directly from sprint, paying the $35 restock fee and then rebuying it from Amazon for a penny.

It's tempting.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

thelightguy posted:

Nah, shady business would be me returning the Epic I just bought directly from sprint, paying the $35 restock fee and then rebuying it from Amazon for a penny.

It's tempting.

How is that shady? If amazon can offer you a better deal, you take the better deal. That's capitalism.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 29, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ShowTime posted:

How is that shady? If amazon can offer you a better deal, you take the better deal. That's capitalism.

It's only capitalism when the company screws you! :v:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It was removed but just saw a leaked picture of the Nexus 3. It looks to be a HTC with no buttons running Ice Cream Sandwich. Best part of this post full of rumors was that they are working on a Sprint CDMA version for a multi carrier launch. If this turns out to be true I am definitely waiting for this baby. Rumored launch is late this year.

Edit: It is still showing up on Pulse.

Google Working with HTC on Ice Cream Sandwich Nexus Phone? - http://pulsene.ws/1KTVW

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 29, 2011

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

XenoWolf posted:

I bought the Nexus S on the premise that whatever phone the Android Devs at Google carry, that's the phone I want. Looking at the Google I/O videos, the Nexus S was the phone to have as a Googler.

To be fair they all got one for free at christmas. That said I'm quite happy with my Nexus S over the Evo3D on the basis of form factor and battery life. Being the first to be able to use NFC payments is a neat bonus, especially since I'm in SF and there are a bunch of places around me already set up to take them.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

The Grand Judabuddha posted:

To be fair they all got one for free at christmas. That said I'm quite happy with my Nexus S over the Evo3D on the basis of form factor and battery life. Being the first to be able to use NFC payments is a neat bonus, especially since I'm in SF and there are a bunch of places around me already set up to take them.

I keep hearing horror stories about reception and lovely WiMAX transfer speeds in identical location tests with the Evo 4G. I gotta admit that's keeping me from just running out and getting one immediately.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Grumpwagon posted:

Is there some reason the new Motorola world phone is $900? My sister is going to be living in Europe for a year, and it'd be nice if we could get a decent world phone, but gently caress paying $549 WITH contract, or $899 without.

For a year? The only way this should even be considered is if it's SIM unlocked and she uses a local SIM. Roaming for that long would be obscenely expensive.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Grumpwagon posted:

Is there some reason the new Motorola world phone is $900? My sister is going to be living in Europe for a year, and it'd be nice if we could get a decent world phone, but gently caress paying $549 WITH contract, or $899 without.

It also has a barcode scanner and some custom version of Windows Mobile.

It's not for the average end user.

Wait for the XPRT to come out if you want something with Android on Sprint and that's a world phone, otherwise buy a used Tour, Bold or Touch Pro 2 off of Craigslist/Ebay.

The XPRT comes out on 6/5, or next Sunday.

Honestly, for a year time frame you should just get a local phone and SIM from there, and use some VOIP solution for her to talk to the family. I thought I read somewhere about someone getting a Magic Jack with a US number, taking it overseas, and people were able to call for free.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Chappy posted:

Honestly, for a year time frame you should just get a local phone and SIM from there, and use some VOIP solution for her to talk to the family. I thought I read somewhere about someone getting a Magic Jack with a US number, taking it overseas, and people were able to call for free.

Wouldn't Gmail calling work for this as well? Or do they filter billing by geolocating the IP?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

For a year? The only way this should even be considered is if it's SIM unlocked and she uses a local SIM. Roaming for that long would be obscenely expensive.

That's the idea. I'm not sure if it's possible (is it?), still in the very early stages of this.

Chappy posted:

It also has a barcode scanner and some custom version of Windows Mobile.

It's not for the average end user.

Wait for the XPRT to come out if you want something with Android on Sprint and that's a world phone, otherwise buy a used Tour, Bold or Touch Pro 2 off of Craigslist/Ebay.

The XPRT comes out on 6/5, or next Sunday.

To show just how little I checked up on this before posting, I thought that phone was just a renamed XPRT. :P I'll settle back in and research some before posting again. Thanks!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Tatsujin posted:

I keep hearing horror stories about reception and lovely WiMAX transfer speeds in identical location tests with the Evo 4G. I gotta admit that's keeping me from just running out and getting one immediately.

Engadet posted a article about this, but I think it was against the Epic 4G not the EVO. Honestly if you want a Nexus you might as well wait for the Nexus 3. HTC will do it right.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
haha that's reflective of our current consumerism and pretty sad. "I know this phone just came out a week ago, but wait for the next one". That's getting kind of bad.

What's hosed up is I know kids who buy phones out of contract when new ones come out. Who the hell can afford to keep up in the wireless game?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Well if you're turning over phones pretty quickly you're probably selling them for a decent amount on eBay or whatever.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

nate fisher posted:

Engadet posted a article about this, but I think it was against the Epic 4G not the EVO. Honestly if you want a Nexus you might as well wait for the Nexus 3. HTC will do it right.

Yeah, you were right (Epic vs Nexus, not Evo). I think they wanted to compare using the same hardware manufacturer, but that's even more depressing since the Epic is cheaper and has had its own share of issues when it first came out.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rent posted:

haha that's reflective of our current consumerism and pretty sad. "I know this phone just came out a week ago, but wait for the next one". That's getting kind of bad.

What's hosed up is I know kids who buy phones out of contract when new ones come out. Who the hell can afford to keep up in the wireless game?

What? The Nexus S was already a old phone when it released on Sprint. You already have a superior phone being released June in the EVO 3D, and late summer with the SGS2. Plus take into account the new Nexus is being made by HTC, and will be first phone running ICS it would be stupid to buy a Nexus S if you can wait until late fall.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Isn't LG still the leading candidate to produce the Nexus 3?

I thought I read somewhere that Google was testing a htc AND a LG device, and one of them would end up being the Nexus 3?

Either way, I'm excited that there's a good chance Sprint will get it out of the gate, and I'll be holding off on the EVO 3D in favor of the Nexus 3.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ozmodiar posted:

I thought I read somewhere that Google was testing a htc AND a LG device, and one of them would end up being the Nexus 3?

Either way, I'm excited that there's a good chance Sprint will get it out of the gate, and I'll be holding off on the EVO 3D in favor of the Nexus 3.

I am not sure about LG. I am going by the leak from yesterday. Mainly it said the Nexus 3 might be a HTC phone with no buttons running ICS, and it is being tested for Sprint CDMA's network. It also included a picture of the device (looks to a 4.3 inch device), and said rumored release date is late this year.

That said I am with you about waiting. I was thinking about the SGS2 instead of the EVO 3D, but reading about all the issues with the Nexus S 4G makes me fear Samsung again. So unless something changes and as long the rumors are true, my next phone will be the Nexus 3.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Ozmodiar posted:

There was a rumor that LG would be making a Nexus tablet and it seems like that ended up morphing into the LG Nexus 3 rumor. Either way, I'm going to try and wait for more info on the Nexus 3 before I make any phone purchase decisions.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Forgot to say I pre-ordered my wife's EVO 3D today. I was told by the Best Buy person they are bring told sometime around the 3rd week of June. Which means they have no idea.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Some sort of external sales corporate guide thing said 4th week of June so that sounds about right.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Chunk posted:

Some sort of external sales corporate guide thing said 4th week of June so that sounds about right.

They misread that. It was the 4th week of training. Still unknown what the date will be.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping for sooner rather than later in June... I keep getting the urge to throw my Pre out of a fast moving vehicle whenever I try to do something really complicated like stream Pandora or look up directions as a passenger and expect Maps to open before we've gone 10 blocks and passed our destination.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
Have an Optimus S with Sprint I picked up in December and it's been working okay, until a week or so ago. Apparently both my headphone jack and charging jack have worn out at the exact same time, resets and everything else doesn't fix it. Still charges with a good jimmy, but still no audio from the jack and it looks like something came loose in it.

Is it quicker/easier for me to quickly throw TEP on my account, pay the deductible and get Sprint to overnight me a fresh one (no repair facilities in my area)? Or should I just go with LG and wait the "week or so" for the warranty repair?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I only saw it mentioned once or twice in this thread, but is there a reason more people aren't talking about the Motorola Photon? Possibly shipping in July, dual-core, docks to a laptop like the Atrix. Looks like I'll have a quite a few options when I get my upgrade in a few months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

dphi posted:

I only saw it mentioned once or twice in this thread, but is there a reason more people aren't talking about the Motorola Photon? Possibly shipping in July, dual-core, docks to a laptop like the Atrix. Looks like I'll have a quite a few options when I get my upgrade in a few months.

I've never been a big Motorola fan, but if its high end it should be good. The dock feature, if like the atrix, seems silly due to pricing and not real tight integration.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
The last Motorola phone I've used was borrowing a friend's Razr but in reality the last one I used was a Sprint iDEN phone back when the clamshell ones first got a color screen or something.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Cross-posting from my thread in Coupons/Deals--Amazon has a sale on all of their 4G phones this Memorial Day.

Sprint Samsung Epic - $0.01
Sprint Samsung Nexus S - $49.99
Sprint HTC EVO White - $59.99
Sprint HTC Evo Black - $79.99
Sprint HTC Evo Shift - $49.99

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

What tethering options are out there for the Nexus S?

I run CM7 on my Evo and use the built-in USB tethering.. can't live without it, so I need an option for the Nexus S. Any suggestions?

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
It has this functionality built right in from the get go on stock.

XenoWolf
Apr 26, 2003
Mr. Sotch

traveling midget posted:

What tethering options are out there for the Nexus S?

I run CM7 on my Evo and use the built-in USB tethering.. can't live without it, so I need an option for the Nexus S. Any suggestions?

The Nexus S has native tethering enabled. I'm running stock firmware, and i've done both tethering and wifi hotspot with it with no problems.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Is Sprint going to kill that like on the Evo, or is it good to go since it's a pure Google phone

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I wish the NS4G didn't have connectivity issues. I'd seriously consider it over waiting for a 3D.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
My wife is on the classic SERO plan right now with a TP2 that she absolutely hates but isn't eligible for her 2 year upgrade just yet. I'm currently on a regular plan (with discounts that bring it right about to ESRP prices) and have a launch day EVO 4G. Since I was a Premier member that just got switched to Silver, I understand that until the end of June I should be able to get a 2 year upgrade next month.

Assuming the EVO 3D comes out in time, I'm a nice enough guy that I would be willing switch to that and pass my EVO 4G onto my wife... My question on this is how would her TEP work in this situation? Would it still apply for a phone that was bought on a separate account and transferred over to her?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

traveling midget posted:

Is Sprint going to kill that like on the Evo, or is it good to go since it's a pure Google phone

No one knows, but I wouldn't be surprised.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

No one knows, but I wouldn't be surprised.

PDANet is always an option if they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
So, I have a Nexus S and am really liking it -- the signal issue isn't seeming as pronounced as it was when I first got it a few days ago. Haven't ported my number over from Verizon yet, though. I have a question before I do.

I know there is the whole Google Voice integration stuff, but I was wondering. Can I port my number over to Google Voice, keep the local number I set the Nexus S up with, and still integrate Google voice properly with the phone?

Basically, I'd like to keep from having to give out a new number to people who have had my old number for years, but have a local number to give out to local people.

If this isn't possible, I assume I could still set up a Google Voice account to port the old number to so I still own it, and can set up forwarding or some such, right?