Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I was wondering if someone could explain something to me. Maybe I'm wrong about this but do the big tournament organizers (Grapplers Quest, NAGA, others I don't know about) hate the west coast?

Here in the Pacific Northwest most of our big local tournaments seem to be in Portland or Seattle.

Could some of the California goons explain who does their big tournaments? In another year or so I would like to try going to one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The organizers of NAGA and GQ are east coast based, which is why they rarely come to California. We still get a bunch of good tournaments here though. At least 4 IBJJF tournaments(Worlds, No gi Worlds, Pan Ams, American Nationals). Caique puts on a pretty big tournament each year. NABJJF puts on 4 decently sized tournaments(smaller than IBJJF but still pretty big). Fabricio Werdum put on a pretty big tournament this year that actually payed winners. Those are the biggest tournaments, but there are a couple other guys who put on occasional tournaments that feature anywhere from 6-/60 guys up to a couple hundred.

I don't know where you're coming from, but if you're going to come all the way down to Socal to compete you should probably do an IBJJF tournament(specifically the gi worlds or pan ams, since they get the most competitors) or maybe Caique's event since it has decent sized divisions and is double elimination.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I wanted to share my technique for takedowns - I do not shoot them because I'm awful on the ground. You are welcome.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I wanted to share my technique for takedowns - I do not shoot them because pulling guard owns. You are welcome.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything

awkward_turtle posted:

Old but good. Bicep slicers aren't just pain moves folks. http://youtu.be/bYY8tJeoLVY

I remember someone got me in a bicep slicer the day after i had started weightlifting again. I was so sore and when he locked in the slicer it was like having knives stuck in my bicep.

I can't imagine how badly breaking the arm would have hurt.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
My favorite way to get to the ground is to get furiously doubled - look confused - wait for death

Or to just get punched onto the ground.

Or fall over throwing a switch kick.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
Sit down. Beckon.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
When I trained more I weighed about 210 with about 10-15 of that being pudge. I'm almost six feet tall.

Did I get a little guy or a beginner? NO! I always got paired up with the jacked legit fighters or beginner 300 pounds guys. Immovable objects or wrestlefuckers.

Also can we all make a deal that everyone wears a cup always? I don't want a fat mans balls squishing against me during armbar drills. Ever.

In college I was grappling once with a fat man. He managed to bodyslam me. His knee landed on my balls against the ground. Never again. Never again.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
only for tough guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHz40iUNIsc

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

OrangeCrush posted:

only for tough guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHz40iUNIsc

The new judo rules are so freaking dumb

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP
When I do judo I just wait for them to try and throw me, then take their back and do like a semi-suplex kinda thing cause it's just training. This is mostly because I am really bad at judo.

Stuck in Elevator
May 27, 2007
It's not so bad, there's a Czech newspaper in here.
At least the British Judo Council have taken out O Goshi from its syllabus now, stupid stupid throw. Should be taught on your first day then never seen again at most.

I train more BJJ now, but it's handy I know just enough judo to throw people twice my size, then get ruined on the ground, or just stall in mount. Tai-otoshi and harai-goshi all day every day.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Stuck in Elevator posted:

At least the British Judo Council have taken out O Goshi from its syllabus now, stupid stupid throw. Should be taught on your first day then never seen again at most.
Funny you mention that because tonight at Judo thats what we focused on for our grading. I wouldn't mind it removed in australia too. Can't stand O Goshi. My shoulder isn't flexible enough for me to execute it properly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
O-Goshi is a perfectly fine throw, I use it all the time in randori.

A lot of people hate it because they don't get a good pull with the sleeve grip, so their arm ends up behind them, which puts strain on the shoulder and also greatly limits the amount of strength you can put into the throw. If you get a good pull O-Goshi works great.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
That throw looks like it would be really useful on people not wearing a gi.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Smegmatron posted:

That throw looks like it would be really useful on people not wearing a gi.

Yeah, it works fine for no-gi as well. You just do the pull on the wrist or elbow rather than a sleeve. Everything else remains exactly the same.

Unless you mean Kata-Garuma, which is pretty much identical to the Fireman's Carry from wrestling. So yeah, works great in no-gi.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I find that O-goshi occurs the most following a strong hip check against a forward throws. After the check, one person steps around and does it. However, due to how the step around works, if one blocks a right handed throw attempt, their ogoshi counter is left sided and vice versa.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I'm still pretty new to judo but I was talking to some of the higher ranked belts and they told me that harai goshi pretty much replaces o goshi at higher levels. The first two throws I learned early on when I went to practice before I owned a gi were o soto gari and o goshi. Then I pretty much never used o goshi again until the yellow belt test came around :v:

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Thoughts on o goshi:
"People don't use o goshi" =/= "o goshi is not a good judo throw"

Noobs tend to hate o goshi because they can't maintain kuzushi while fitting in to throw, and they can't squat deep without collapsing. They prefer harai because they can just fit in to throw with no squat or kuzushi, and then makikomi and muscle people over.

Experts tend to use o goshi as a counter, but prefer sode tsuri komi goshi when they want to initiate with that kind of hip throw, because it's less predictable.

O goshi is especially good if you start from an over/under (no gi comes to mind)

O goshi -> ouchi makikomi is a really effective combo.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Can you guys define some of these words for us who are just BJJ players?

/too lazy to google!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

gosh/kosh = hip
harai = sweep

o-goshi = major hip (throw)
harai goshi = sweeping hip throw

makkikomi (wrap around) is very popular among lower ranks, especially big men, because it only requires one hand on your opponent. The other wraps across your body and you just throw your weight into it. It becomes significantly less effective once opponents learn to block with their hips.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Has anyone here read/picked up the BJ Penn closed guard book?
Its on sale at my local book store for 19.99 and was thinking of picking it up. I've gone through Saulo's JJ University and found that really helpful and was hoping this could maybe help me out too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just got back from my first no-gi session at the local gym. Good class I think I hurt a rib because I can't breathe lying on my back without agony. fkn awesome I know.

I miss my my Gi already and I really wish it was a bigger class only around 8 or so. There's a columbian who's probably a purple or higher who doesn't speak much english so he can't really explain what he's doing during rolling. The other downside of a small class is I'm the runt of the litter, I weigh about 160 pounds, I only guy closest to my weight is 185ish maybe a bit lighter my kg to pound math is lovely there's only one fatty in the class too, everyone else is flat out loving yolked I spend a lot of time just trying to keep my guard closed around their frame let alone when they start trying to pass. Still, not being able to rely on strength has been an eye opener.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fawker posted:

Its on sale at my local book store for 19.99 and was thinking of picking it up. I've gone through Saulo's JJ University and found that really helpful and was hoping this could maybe help me out too.

I looked through it at a bookstore once and it looked great, if I didn't hate closed guard I probably would have bought it.

BlindSite posted:

Just got back from my first no-gi session at the local gym. Good class I think I hurt a rib because I can't breathe lying on my back without agony. fkn awesome I know.

I miss my my Gi already and I really wish it was a bigger class only around 8 or so. There's a columbian who's probably a purple or higher who doesn't speak much english so he can't really explain what he's doing during rolling. The other downside of a small class is I'm the runt of the litter, I weigh about 160 pounds, I only guy closest to my weight is 185ish maybe a bit lighter my kg to pound math is lovely there's only one fatty in the class too, everyone else is flat out loving yolked I spend a lot of time just trying to keep my guard closed around their frame let alone when they start trying to pass. Still, not being able to rely on strength has been an eye opener.

If you can't keep your guard closed than don't play closed guard. Even though a lot of regular open guard isn't applicable no-gi(spider, de la riva, feet on the hips etc) you still have a lot of good options(butterfly, x, half guard, deep half, reverse de la riva).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

makkikomi (wrap around) is very popular among lower ranks, especially big men, because it only requires one hand on your opponent. The other wraps across your body and you just throw your weight into it. It becomes significantly less effective once opponents learn to block with their hips.

Makikomi is also known as "The Best Throw Ever". At least to me it is. Hip blocking shouldn't be an issue with Makikomi since you turn your hips a full 270 degrees rather than just 180 like you do for hip throws. The toughest part is breaking through their gripping.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 31, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fawker posted:

I own it. You won't find anything universe shattering but he lays out a pretty complete and fundamental guard game.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Xguard86 posted:

I own it. You won't find anything universe shattering but he lays out a pretty complete and fundamental guard game.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably pick it up. I really like working from closed guard because I have these stupid strong legs that I got from being a former fatty that are REALLY good at keeping people in my guard and controlling them :)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
one caveat, if you are not decently flexible you might struggle. You don't need crazy rubber band hips/legs like rubber guard, but you definitely need to be able to move and positional yourself properly to make it work.

Then again, that's true for any guard.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

fawker posted:

Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably pick it up. I really like working from closed guard because I have these stupid strong legs that I got from being a former fatty that are REALLY good at keeping people in my guard and controlling them :)

I hope your work in the closed guard isn't limited to "press as hard as you can" because that's something some people do and it's really dumb and ineffective. Closed guard in general is more of a stalling position, you have to open it up for most subs or sweeps

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I'm not really much of a tape guy, but I remember seeing some of Demian Maia's stuff on the guard and thinking it was pretty good advice and he speaks understandable english. Especially the guard which is a position dominated by complicated setups and small moves a book isn't all that great.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Dante posted:

I'm not really much of a tape guy, but I remember seeing some of Demian Maia's stuff on the guard and thinking it was pretty good advice and he speaks understandable english. Especially the guard which is a position dominated by complicated setups and small moves a book isn't all that great.
Yeah I have the dvds and I think they're great, but I'm new to grappling, although the guy that introduced me to Judo who also does BJJ loves them too. Demian really starts at the basics so I understand the first few chapters, but after that most of it is over my head, but I really got a lot of core basic values explained to me which is great as we don't get much ground work explained in Judo. Great production values too.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
This video freaking owns

http://vimeo.com/24451241

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dokomoy posted:

If you can't keep your guard closed than don't play closed guard. Even though a lot of regular open guard isn't applicable no-gi(spider, de la riva, feet on the hips etc) you still have a lot of good options(butterfly, x, half guard, deep half, reverse de la riva).

Thanks for this. Gonna have to go back through some videos and books to find some more tricks. For a long time I was able to train with people the same size these dudes are legit much bigger been a while since using strength to power out of something was simply not going to happen. Not having a gi to grab on to feels really weird too.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Senor P. posted:

I was wondering if someone could explain something to me. Maybe I'm wrong about this but do the big tournament organizers (Grapplers Quest, NAGA, others I don't know about) hate the west coast?

Here in the Pacific Northwest most of our big local tournaments seem to be in Portland or Seattle.

Could some of the California goons explain who does their big tournaments? In another year or so I would like to try going to one of them.
Hey, revolution and sub-league buddy! One day i'll bother going somewhere else for a tournament. I'd like to do a naga with more competitors, and i imagine the skill level is higher through all the divisions due to sand-bagging and name recognition and such.

Can anyone speak to this?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

imtheism posted:

Hey, revolution and sub-league buddy! One day i'll bother going somewhere else for a tournament. I'd like to do a naga with more competitors, and i imagine the skill level is higher through all the divisions due to sand-bagging and name recognition and such.

Can anyone speak to this?

It's pretty difficult to know exactly how much sand bagging goes on at each tournament, but it's definitely true that bigger tournaments can attract tougher opponents. I made a post at the top of this page listing some of the bigger tournaments in the LA area, but one thing I shouldn't mention, but that is applicable to you(or anyone who's thinking of making a long trip to compete) is most tournaments aren't run half as well as the IBJJF ones. The IBJJF is the only organization that consistently has divisions running on time, and even though the reffing isn't perfect I think it's generally better than other organizations.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

dokomoy posted:

This video freaking owns

This video was terrible. There was like, 2 good moves in it, both played in such excruciatingly slow motion so many times that it was boring beyond belief. In a 10 minute compilation from one of the best grappling comps in brazil proper, they showed 8 moves.

Seriously? NOTHING better happened that day than a dude getting his arms tied up, and then escaping? Than a dude pulling half guard from stand up? Come on...

imtheism fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 1, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

dokomoy posted:

This video freaking owns

That was the biggest piece of poo poo I've ever seen in my whole entire life.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEMlJiTWNfk

Here's a video to make everyone feel better (Dan Camarillo compilation).

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRUfA-N5vEw

Prepare yourself for some silly ippons and subs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EazyBreezy
Jul 9, 2009

dokomoy posted:

It's pretty difficult to know exactly how much sand bagging goes on at each tournament, but it's definitely true that bigger tournaments can attract tougher opponents. I made a post at the top of this page listing some of the bigger tournaments in the LA area, but one thing I shouldn't mention, but that is applicable to you(or anyone who's thinking of making a long trip to compete) is most tournaments aren't run half as well as the IBJJF ones. The IBJJF is the only organization that consistently has divisions running on time, and even though the reffing isn't perfect I think it's generally better than other organizations.

The ongoing joke about NAGA, at least here in FL and GA, is that you basically have to sandbag because everyone else is already sandbagging. I went to a few NAGAs in Atlanta and a few different spots in FL and the amount of sandbagging was pretty ridiculous, especially at the higher weights.