Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Zwille posted:

Tap water is supposed to be free. Hell, I get tap water for free all the time at clubs, with or without spending money on other drinks. The most they should charge you is a cleaning fee...

Clubs are legally different from restaurants. It's required by law in clubs to give people water for free so that they feel less obligated to get more drunk if they're thirsty and so they dont overheat and die if they're on x.

Although usually tap water is free in restaurants too, but it's not a law.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
What's the biggest Craigslist-like site that people use? Kalaydo?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
https://www.kijiji.de (redirects to http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/) seems to be pretty big, and Zweite Hand (in print) used to be huge in Berlin, not sure about now. http://www.zweitehand.de/

Friend of mine swears by kijiji.de, though mostly for stuff like old furniture.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zwille posted:

https://www.kijiji.de (redirects to http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/) seems to be pretty big, and Zweite Hand (in print) used to be huge in Berlin, not sure about now. http://www.zweitehand.de/

wow thanks for this!

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Zwille posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm hoping to rip someone off sell this MacBook Pro circa 2010 for as close to the going price of a brand new 2011 shiny MBP is :D

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

It's probably not really an option with the Macbook being so expensive and all, but you could try Amazon.de marketplace as well, I sold my old, scratched iPhone 3G with dust under the screen there for about €299 before fees. New ones went for €300. :psyduck:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Hello it's me, I got a request:

What would you recommend to someone who's apartment hunting in Berlin from Paris? Money's not that big of an issue, so I assume there's gotta be some agency to carter to that. Any recommendations? It's not for me, it's for a friend of a friend and I hope I can save me some legwork, as she expressly asked for an agency or something similar.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
kijiji is awesome

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

Zwille posted:

Hello it's me, I got a request:

What would you recommend to someone who's apartment hunting in Berlin from Paris? Money's not that big of an issue, so I assume there's gotta be some agency to carter to that. Any recommendations? It's not for me, it's for a friend of a friend and I hope I can save me some legwork, as she expressly asked for an agency or something similar.

I "recommend" Lion if your friend is looking for a place in Friedrichshain/Prenzelberg, they are sleazy scumbags that don't give a gently caress about you until you throw some money their way, if you do however you'll have a great choice of fancy but still affordable flats. Normally I'd boycott such practices but boy do they have nice apartments.

http://www.lion-immobilien.de/

Here is the fun part, if you want any chance of seeing the apartment without 50 people cluttering up your new living room they want 200 bucks from you, this will give you a proper real estate agent with one on one visits and a pretty favorable spot when it comes to actually getting the apartment. If you move into one of their apartments they'll give you a 240 Euro discount on the agent fee,thereby saving 40 Euros, if you don't then you just wasted 200 Euros.

http://www.vip.lion-immobilien.de/

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Is there a website for people looking for roommates in Germany?

Edit: There are some nice apartment on that site. What's wrong with this one? It's so cheap, and looks pretty much the same as the more expensive ones of the same size.

Fasheem fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 28, 2011

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
http://www.wg-gesucht.de/

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks! Bookmarked.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Fasheem posted:

Edit: There are some nice apartment on that site. What's wrong with this one? It's so cheap, and looks pretty much the same as the more expensive ones of the same size.

remember that german ads state the total number of rooms, not the number of bedrooms as other countries do. So a 1 zimmer is one room (i.e bedroom and living room in one) and a kitchen.

but yeah places in berlin are cheap as hell relative to a lot of other cities.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

Fasheem posted:

Is there a website for people looking for roommates in Germany?

Someone already posted kijiji.de for something else, but they have a section for shared apartments too.

The "problem" with that particular apartment is that you have to have a WBS (Wohnberechtigungsschein) to be eligible for it. Basically it means that only people that are poor as gently caress (mostly students) can rent it. Also it's in the middle of a very lively neighborhood so it's bound to be rather noisy all week long.

vvvvv Don't be silly, they just wanted to emphasize that the roomy kitchen gives you great options when it comes to the layout, some might not be very practical but you can totally show your personality through it.

hankor fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 28, 2011

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Did they place that stove so it can't be opened? :raise:

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

hankor posted:

The "problem" with that particular apartment is that you have to have a WBS (Wohnberechtigungsschein) to be eligible for it. Basically it means that only people that are poor as gently caress (mostly students) can rent it. Also it's in the middle of a very lively neighborhood so it's bound to be rather noisy all week long.

Oooh. I'm guessing foreign students can't get that permit. I knew there had to be something in the listing I didn't understand that would explain it, it is more than 100 euros cheaper (including extra fees) than other small one room apartments in the same area.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
Actually you can, if you are staying for more than a year in Germany and earn less than 16.800€/yr after taxes you qualify for a WBS. In certain cases you can even claim "Wohngeld" (free money so you can turn the heater in your laughably cheap apartment on and don't freeze to death).

If you plan to study in Germany or already do you should have a look on your universities website or contact their StuPa/Asta/Fachschafsrat, generally those are pretty helpful.

Otherwise you could have a look at the student dorms of the Studentenwerk, they are small but pretty cheap and a good way to get to meet people in a scary foreign country. Beware: most of the people you meet in student dorms are foreigners and poor and/or stupid germans that didn't bother to get a proper place of their own.

Since I'm so helpful right now here is another free tip: At least in Berlin you pay for meals on campus with a "Mensa-Card", this card is not locked to your campus or university, you can use it in every single cantina that is run by the Studentenwerk (all of them) so wherever you are, you are never far from cheap and sometimes even tasty food.

hankor fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 29, 2011

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

hankor posted:

Actually you can, if you are staying for more than a year in Germany and earn less than 16.800€/yr after taxes you qualify for a WBS. In certain cases you can even claim "Wohngeld" (free money so you can turn the heater in your laughably cheap apartment on and don't freeze to death).

If you plan to study in Germany or already do you should have a look on your universities website or contact their StuPa/Asta/Fachschafsrat, generally those are pretty helpful.

That's amazing. Things like this are why I want to study in Germany. Things are actually decent for students there.

I don't have a university yet but I've been looking at lots of websites. :) I'm planning to apply for the 2012 summer semester which is still a long way off. I wanted to go this year but learning a language turned out to actually be kind of time-consuming and hard.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
There are two types of student dorms, there are the megaplexes with 10+ people on each floor and a shared kitchen area, and there are also the ones that are closer to US apartments, what you would think of when someone said flat.

The first ones can be a hit or miss and it really depends on how the dorms are run. I have a friend in one of these and he says the atmosphere is really nice. They have cooking parties every week, movie nights, BBQ, etc, and everybody (all 16 of them) is laid back and are friends in some way. His floor also has a policy where 50% of them have to be Germans so I've always heard German as the primary language there when I visit.

On the other hand, I also know people in the type of dorms that hankor described where everybody is foreign and everybody just keeps to themselves and don't interact with each other unless someone left dirty pots on the stove or something.

My advice is to apply for every single Studentenwerk dorm, right now, because it can take the better part of a year to get placed into a dorm. Even if you don't want to live in a dorm, it's still nice to apply just to have a backup place to live in case you can't find an apartment either. If you do end up wanting to live in a dorm and get accepted to more than one, then just choose the one that's like a regular flat/apartment, else choose the one closest to campus or city or whatever.

I think living in a dorm is awesome (I live in the apartment/flat type with three other roommates). It's exactly like living in an apartment back home. It's really cheap and in a great location, 5 minutes from class, 10 from the city center.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 29, 2011

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

What's the difference between a dorm and a shared apartment then?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Fasheem posted:

What's the difference between a dorm and a shared apartment then?

A shared apartment is what it sounds like—an full apartment with a few roommates—whereas a dorm is more like what you'd think of when you think of US college dorms with the exception that you'll get your own tiny room (and the floor will share showers/toilets/kitchen) so you won't have an immediate roommate in your room.

I think there's a problem with translation/communication with the word dorm though. The place I live in says Studentenwohnheim right at the front of the building which means student dorms, but in reality it's a Wohngemeinshaft (WG, flat share/shared apartment). It probably only says Studentenwohnheim because it's operated by the Studentenwerk (student association) and they just classify all their buildings as that.

For example, WH Danckelmannstraße is what I'd call a dorm because all they have are single rooms (Einzelzimmer), but WH Brentanostraße has 2 and 3 room apartments, what I'd call a WG, but that website lists it as a dorm. Just looking through the list though it seems like most places in Berlin are going to be dorms which makes sense since there's so many people there I guess, and some of them do have apartments inside though.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 30, 2011

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ziir posted:

A shared apartment is what it sounds like—an full apartment with a few roommates—whereas a dorm is more like what you'd think of when you think of US college dorms with the exception that you'll get your own tiny room (and the floor will share showers/toilets/kitchen) so you won't have an immediate roommate in your room.

The private rooms in dorms usually (always? every one I've seen in Germany) have sinks in them too, so you can drunkenly piss intp your sink, or take your contacts off without walking into the shared bathroom, or whatever.

I lived in a Studentenwohnheim in Braunschweig. My building was all private apartments, like 20 m^2, with two rooms, minikitchen and minibathroom, and then the other two buildings were 'dorm style.'

Fasheem, are you a US student? If so, going to Germany to intern in the summer is kind of lonely unless you have an unusual semester schedule. German students usually finish their finals end of June/beginning of July, then start internships mid-late July. I did my internship starting mid-May, so everyone finished classes, studied for exams, then left, then I was alone for two weeks, then summer interns came in and I hung out with them for two weeks, then I left to go back to my university in the States.

Berlin is probably a lot better than Braunschweig, though, as far as being trapped in a foreign country where you barely speak the language and not knowing anyone and being by yourself for 2/3rds of summer goes.

Not to be too down on your plans or anything. I don't regret doing it.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

Saladman posted:

The private rooms in dorms usually (always? every one I've seen in Germany) have sinks in them too, so you can drunkenly piss intp your sink, or take your contacts off without walking into the shared bathroom, or whatever.

Berlin is probably a lot better than Braunschweig, though, as far as being trapped in a foreign country where you barely speak the language and not knowing anyone and being by yourself for 2/3rds of summer goes.

While I've only seen a handful of private german dorm rooms (there has to be a better nomenclature for this) all of them had a toilet and some had a shower so there seems to be quite a range.

Big cities in general (Hamburg, Munich, Cologne and Berlin) are far more attractive for foreign students than smaller cities (Greifswald, Heidelberg, Rostock etc.) while the later have an entertaining close knitted social net and the whole city caters to their needs, they are practically barren during breaks.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Saladman posted:

I lived in a Studentenwohnheim in Braunschweig. My building was all private apartments, like 20 m^2, with two rooms, minikitchen and minibathroom, and then the other two buildings were 'dorm style.'

That sounds great. I'm just sick of sharing a kitchen/bathroom and don't want to do it any more. Do you mind telling how much it cost?

quote:

Not to be too down on your plans or anything. I don't regret doing it.

My actual plan is way crazier and much more open to criticism. I'm planning to do a full degree, and just start in summer (actually April) because that's when my current work contract ends.

Hoping to be beyond the barely speak stage in the language by then. I test at B2 now, I have ~6 months to the application deadline to get to C1. I study all the time but I'm still pretty worried about it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Fasheem posted:

That sounds great. I'm just sick of sharing a kitchen/bathroom and don't want to do it any more. Do you mind telling how much it cost?

My actual plan is way crazier and much more open to criticism. I'm planning to do a full degree, and just start in summer (actually April) because that's when my current work contract ends.

Hoping to be beyond the barely speak stage in the language by then. I test at B2 now, I have ~6 months to the application deadline to get to C1. I study all the time but I'm still pretty worried about it.

It was really cheap, but I can't quite remember, it's been 6 years. €350 maybe, with all utilities and Internet. I imagine Berlin will be quite a bit more expensive than a semi-rural has-been city (and quite a bit more enjoyable).

Your plan sounds pretty solid to me actually; much better than just doing a summer internship. I never tested but I probably spoke A1/A2 German at the time, which was (obviously) not enough. If that's a practiced B2 and not a learned-in-class B2, you should be pretty set, and if not, you'll get appreciably better pretty quickly at that level anyway.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

Saladman posted:

I imagine Berlin will be quite a bit more expensive than a semi-rural has-been city.

Yeah, you'd think that but unlike completely market driven cities Berlin has an abundance of cheap places, so renting in Berlin costs you, on average, pretty much the same as renting in Braunschweig

Everything included I'm paying 750€ for 100m2 in the middle of the city with 4.40m ceiling height (that's considered a good thing, gently caress heating costs I need room for my chandelier).

http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/wohnen/mietspiegel/de/download/Mietspiegeltabelle2011.pdf
http://www.braunschweig.de/politik_verwaltung/politik/stadtrecht/2_07_Mietspiegel_2010.pdf

vvvv Friedrichshain on the border to the Samarieterkiez, all the benefits of living in F-Hain and barely any demonstrations or car fires and even those aren't that bad I guess, the guy down the road that used to have a white Porsche, got a new one within a week.

hankor fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 30, 2011

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, €350 is about average for Berlin, i.e. a 30-50 sqm apartment, even less if you choose to live together with other people. I'm not surprised at all that you can get 100 sqm for €750. Not bad at all. Incidentally, which district?

Also, hankor, thanks for the link to Lion you posted - I gave it to the friend of a friend I talked about and I'll see if she gets along with them.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Does UPS deliver Saturdays?

e: That's a big negative. My package is still an hour away in Cologne :(

e2: Is there anything like Pandora here?

Ziir fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 4, 2011

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ziir posted:

Does UPS deliver Saturdays?

e: That's a big negative. My package is still an hour away in Cologne :(

e2: Is there anything like Pandora here?

Grooveshark is like Pandora, but way better in every way.

(As far as actual internet radio, Last.fm works in Europe and is okay but limits you to 30 songs per month or something, so I switched to Grooveshark)

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Saladman posted:

(As far as actual internet radio, Last.fm works in Europe and is okay but limits you to 30 songs per month or something, so I switched to Grooveshark)

:aaa: Grooveshark is awesome and even better than Pandora.

By the way is this e. coli thing something I should actually worry about, or is it this year's swine flu? I ordered a sandwich at a cafe this morning and they asked if I wanted salad in it. I said sure why not and my friend with my was was doing the whole "oh my god really?" thing.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Saladman posted:

There is also simfy.com, which is pretty similar to Spotify. You can listen to anything you want, but the free membership has ads between songs every now and then.

The free Last.fm membership doesn't have a song restriction in Germany. At least if you use their software to listen.

Ziir posted:

By the way is this e. coli thing something I should actually worry about, or is it this year's swine flu? I ordered a sandwich at a cafe this morning and they asked if I wanted salad in it. I said sure why not and my friend with my was was doing the whole "oh my god really?" thing.
Even though this is mainly fear mongering by the media, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Nobody knows where it's from, but not eating uncooked vegetables at least reduces the odds, I guess.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 9, 2011

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ziir posted:

You're going to die. Sorry about that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My basic reaction to the warnings was "oh my goodness cucumbers and tomatoes are going to be cheap as poo poo, time to stock up!"

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Is anyone watching the Germany's Next Top Model final? Jesus this Lady Gaga bit is extra barf-inducing.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
I'm pretty sure it's not that different from the rest of the show. Do those bimbos sing now or did they just dress up stupidly?

E: I'm kinda curious, how do immigrated/visiting/interested goons see our decision to abolish atomic energy?

hankor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 9, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

hankor posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not that different from the rest of the show. Do those bimbos sing now or did they just dress up stupidly?

E: I'm kinda curious, how do immigrated/visiting/interested goons see our decision to abolish atomic energy?

I think it's completely retarded (to abolish nuclear energy).

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
German goon opinion:
A completely retarded decision.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Hungry Gerbil posted:

German goon opinion:
A completely retarded decision.

Are they actually going through with it to do so or is it just a lot of talk?

e:

Sereri posted:

You're going to die. Sorry about that.

:ohdear:

e2:

vvvv Now I wish they would do the same with coal (which is releasing radioactive decay every single day and much more than nuclear plants) (and come up with something to replace it… like nuclear).

Ziir fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 9, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Ziir posted:

Are they actually going through with it to do so or is it just a lot of talk?

Seems like they are. Populism has won as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

hankor posted:

I thought Ich Werde Ein Berliner did a pretty nice job of talking about what Americans/ausländer think about Germans'/Germany's reaction to the whole Fukushima deal.

(Though obviously you can't say every German is like that though)

But yeah, I think it's retarded. Germany does a lot when it comes to alternative/clean energy, but getting rid of nuclear and not coal, especially given that it was all in reaction to kernkraft + earthquakes & tsunamis, which isn't a danger for nuclear plants in Germany, seems silly and reactionary.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 9, 2011