Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
If you can or are offered the option bullshit the approaching Clanner into a duel and then bumrush him from flanks. If not just bumrush as Bobbin said. Put yourselves into a brutal mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I've heard a lot of talk about the -IIC designation. But I have absolutely no idea what that means. What makes a mech an -IIC?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Slaan posted:

I've heard a lot of talk about the -IIC designation. But I have absolutely no idea what that means. What makes a mech an -IIC?

It means it's a clan redesign, II as in it's version 2, and C means clan.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Slaan posted:

-IIC pretty much means 'version 2, Clan.' They're a refit of an old Inner Sphere design (in many cases, of the 'Mechs Kerensky and his people brought with them) with Clan technology. The core is the same, typically, but the 'Mechs themselves are drastically different; and some are complete redesigns that don't have anything in common with the original.

The Guillotine IIC is one of those designs that's mostly 'core', meaning it's still a 70-ton Guillotine. The Phoenix Hawk IIC is a complete redesign, which is why they turned a fast 45 tonner into an 80 ton abomination.

Which is pretty much the same naming convention used by the Hermes -> Hermes II -> Hermes III lineage. They're three 'Mechs, the II and III are heavier redesigns built along the same principles (theoretically). That the Hermes II is drastically inferior to the original Hermies is both funny and sad.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Hey, I was right about the Goshawk. That'll hurt.

Grasshopper IIC is probably going to be pretty drat deadly, too. Gonna knock one up in SSW to see how bad. Discounted it because I remember it was a post-Amaris design, but I guess it came out before the Exodus.

Still want to see a Dervish IIC, though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

Discounted it because I remember it was a post-Amaris design, but I guess it came out before the Exodus.

Kerensky hung around a little longer this time around. He lost, but he made Amaris pay dearly for his victory.

... Really, it's just an excuse for me to make a Grasshopper IIC.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
No pony mech. Ahhhhh pity.

Still, I wonder what happens if Comguard is designated as honor-less DOGS thanks to this fight.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Kerensky hung around a little longer this time around. He lost, but he made Amaris pay dearly for his victory.

... Really, it's just an excuse for me to make a Grasshopper IIC.

See, now that would be re-writing history.

Made a Grasshopper IIC; even with a standard engine, it's pretty drat badass. I did ERLLAS, 5xERMLAS, LRM15, with Ferro and near-total heat efficiency. Add Medium lasers at the cost of heat sinks to taste.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which is pretty much the same naming convention used by the Hermes -> Hermes II -> Hermes III lineage. They're three 'Mechs, the II and III are heavier redesigns built along the same principles (theoretically). That the Hermes II is drastically inferior to the original Hermies is both funny and sad.

So it's sort of like the venerable and much-honored Ford Mustang... and the best-forgotten, embarrassing Mustang II.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

See, now that would be re-writing history.

I'm serious. Kerensky lost (but killed Aramis anyway). He left vowing revenge on the Successor Lords who failed to assist him. The Crusaders aren't looking to reform the Star League this time, guys--they're looking to punish the Successor States for letting it fall.

Artificer posted:

No pony mech. Ahhhhh pity.

Still, I wonder what happens if Comguard is designated as honor-less DOGS thanks to this fight.

It's a second line unit (out here in space, anyway). How much do you really think the Hell's Horses will care? (hint: more than any other Clan would, but probably not enough to do anything other than complain a bit).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

That the Hermes II is drastically inferior to the original Hermies is both funny and sad.

It's not that it's worse, it's that the Hermes II better fits our corporate vision going forward.

(Also, "no, YOU shut up!")

Grasshopper IIC

I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

/\Would that corporate vision be "Oh poo poo, who ordered 20,000 AC/5s?"?

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm serious. Kerensky lost (but killed Aramis anyway). He left vowing revenge on the Successor Lords who failed to assist him. The Crusaders aren't looking to reform the Star League this time, guys--they're looking to punish the Successor States for letting it fall.

Ha, holy poo poo, I just assumed the divergence point was the Explorer Corps ship finding Niles. That's great. I'd give up too if I had to assault dozens of worlds, each with an SDS.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh.

OH.

Oh poo poo.

So it's not a race to Terra to become the IlClan and lords of the New Star League. It's a full on burn poo poo to the ground and murder anybody in their way race across the Inner Sphere. And NO ULRIC to reign them in.

:stare:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Which makes it that much more important to help the Scorpions out...they just want to take their toys and go home.

And stay there.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

...Well now that certainly puts things in a much different light. :stare:

Of course the Successor States don't even know what their goal is but drat they're just going to burn right past Terra and go right into Marik and Capcon territory if not stopped.

EDIT: Other thought, if he left vowing revenge why didn't any of the Successor Lords attempt to take him out? Or was his exodous a well-kept enough secret?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 30, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We need a motivation for the other three Houses to join up and reform the Star League.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, okay - a couple questions.

1. If Kerensky lost, how did he manage to kill Stefan Amaris anyway? Did this timeline's Amaris not hole himself up on Terra while his armies rampaged around?

2. If Kerensky lost, what happened to the Rim Worlds Republic forces? The RWR pretty much drifted away, and the entirety of the RWR armed forces got wiped in the normal timeline. So what happened to them here? Did the Successor States beat them up later after Kerensky left? Did he just never take Terra and everything else got wiped? What happened here?

3. If the metric is "letting the Star League fall"...didn't he lose in the normal timeline, anyway? I mean, it seems to me that everything could be almost the same, only with his attitude upon leaving changed; anger instead of mere regret.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

...Well now that certainly puts things in a much different light. :stare:

Of course the Successor States don't even know what their goal is but drat they're just going to burn right past Terra and go right into Marik and Capcon territory if not stopped.

EDIT: Other thought, if he left vowing revenge why didn't any of the Successor Lords attempt to take him out? Or was his exodous a well-kept enough secret?

Also if he lost , why aren't his forces tons smaller?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

evilmiera posted:

Also if he lost , why aren't his forces tons smaller?

Yeah, logically the Clan forces would be tiny compared to the IS legions despite the IS's retarded behaviour.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, logically the Clan forces would be tiny compared to the IS legions despite the IS's retarded behaviour.

Have you ever played Galactic Civilizations II?

You know how, when designing a custom race, there are options to have your race blessed with high population growth?

The three options are "Frisky," "Fruitful," and "Don't ask."

(Nicolas) Kerensky clicked "Don't Ask" when he founded the Clans.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Looking at the OP and re-reading the first paragraph of the "Rewriting it?" section more carefully, it appears this was no secret or sudden surprise. It looks like merely plot-wrangling the Clan Invasion down isn't an option this time. If we can't rely on plot and Clan cultural idiosyncrasy to defeat them, we can at least rely upon sheer raw industrial and numerical superiority.

If the Children of Kerensky want revenge, they will have it served scalding hot with booby-trapped silverware. Also we poured a quart of bile in their revenge-soup. Ever tasted culinary bile? It's horrific. And terribly ethnic.

(Why yes, I do seem to be very pro-IS don't I?)

EDIT: Just for curiosity, if it were a Guillotine IIC, a Phoenix Hawk IIC, and a Grasshopper (IIC custom, anything goes), would this put weight estimates at about what the OpFor's rough tonnage was? I'm wondering if there's room for <REDACTED>

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 30, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Except that entire sibkos will routinely produce one guy, and all the others either wash out or get killed.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

You know how, when designing a custom race, there are options to have your race blessed with high population growth?

It's not even mostly about lost troops, though that counts as well. The materials he'd be able to bring in would be miniscule in comparison to the already somewhat small amounts they managed to bring in during the original timeline, unless Kerensky attacked almost every single functioning manufactory left in the IS. Meaning the IS would be even less prepared for war on any scale for centuries to come. Not to mention all those raids would mean his forces would be even more depleted. Don't think anyone would give him what he wanted if he asked nicely, especially if he "lost".

disbest
Jun 16, 2005

Pillbug
The way I see it is that Kerensky in the canon timeline wasn't building an army for conquest, more for protecting the IS. In this timeline he's pissed off so the entire culture is more revenge oriented and therefore there is most likely a larger number of mech factories and they are producing more warriors to compensate. In other words they weren't trying as hard as they could in the canon timeline and in this one they're going all out.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

quote:

:neckbeard: This is going to be so much fun when the Vipers land on Tharkad. It is going to be a hot time in the cold town tonight, boys. :D

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I thought the entire premise was that the worlds that the Clans were on were super lovely, so they cannot support the population count in the billions or the industry base you'd expect from a Terra-alike. Hence the mad conservation initiative thing, to prevent them doing serious damage they couldn't easily recover from or undo.

Edit: It's occurred to me that I find the clans are the least interesting thing in Battletech, and I'd like this LP just as much/probably more if it was just tooling around in lovely IS mechs loving up IS politically shenanigans. So I'm prejudiced/a space racist on this topic.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 30, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mukaikubo posted:

:neckbeard: This is going to be so much fun when the Vipers land on Tharkad. It is going to be a hot time in the cold town tonight, boys. :D

But the Vipers are odd because they are pro-star league right?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I like to think this whole thing is just a wacky misunderstanding. Sometime after the fact Kerensky said "Remember the Succesor Lords? Man, gently caress those guys." Only somebody misheard him as saying "Man, gently caress up those guys", and through a game of telephone it became the sacred duty of the clans to beat the everloving Blake out of the IC.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Der Schellenberg posted:

The way I see it is that Kerensky in the canon timeline wasn't building an army for conquest, more for protecting the IS. In this timeline he's pissed off so the entire culture is more revenge oriented and therefore there is most likely a larger number of mech factories and they are producing more warriors to compensate. In other words they weren't trying as hard as they could in the canon timeline and in this one they're going all out.

As long as conquered worlds stay conquered and all. Just having them go in, beat the IS and leave sounds like an awful idea. I want my Clan dominion, dangit :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So we've picked the Inner Sphere to hitch our wagon to then? Okay.

disbest
Jun 16, 2005

Pillbug
Not being particularly familiar with the fluff when it comes to conquering planets, how often are there resistance movements that crop up? For example, when the Federated Suns took all that territory from the Capellan Confederation, how many regiment equivalents did they use to take how many planets? I keep assuming they have around 100ish regiments because that number sounds familiar, but I may have made it up. If they took all their troops off the border with the Draconis Combine to do this and they take 50 worlds from the Capellens, ~2 regiments per planet. Also considering that the Capellans have the largest population per planet on average, how can 2 regiments take any planet from any house when all any house has to do is have a barely trained anti-tank/anti-mech force with 1/100 citizens in this planetary militia? If anyone wants to bring up some actual numbers who has put in more effort into finding better info please do, especially if it makes things make more sense. Hell there are billions of people on some of these planets, it would take the entire FedSun military to hold one of those planets.

So from that perspective it seems there is an understanding between the civilians and military that as long as there are no hundreds of thousands of civilians in militias then the military won't crush the cities and civilian infrastructure. Either that or there's not a lot of patriotism outside of the actual militaries of the great houses. Again, I don't claim to know a ton about Battletech fluff, but I was having a conversation with someone who knows a ton more about things than me and he brought up this point. So if it wasn't for the two ideas I mentioned there then no, the Clans would never be able to conquer the IS, but neither would any of the great houses be able to take more than a few planets every generation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

From earlier discussions, the early IS all sounded terribly feudal, where conflicts between Successor States were less battles between whole nations and more a dynastic kerfluffle minus the any claims to lineage legitimacy. As in, don't cause a ruckus and keep paying taxes and they'll just let you carry on. I would assume things were more like this in border systems, though. National identity and loyalty would be pretty strong in Luthien, Tharkad, or New Avalon I gather. On the other hand, most Clans probably wouldn't have that understanding I think and might treat their conquests a bit differently than the civilians were expecting, i.e. poorly.

Speaking of Clans and resistance movements, this sounds a bit like the Turtle Bay issue. As in, sometimes when Clans really out of their ritualized element get faced with the realities of guerrilla warfare one might overreact and bombard a major population center with Naval Capital Gauss weapons, which is basically just nukes minus the fallout.

And then the Inner Sphere gets mad and annihilates that Clan, fun times.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well this changes everything, okay whens the political vote options for nuking the clans, cause might as well pull out the big guns if we can't pull the "star league reformed" angle

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Holy poo poo. I can see things have gone completely to hell in this timeline. Someone needs to start taunting the clanners about how Kerensky was a worthless leader who couldn't even win his own wars.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

EDIT: Just for curiosity, if it were a Guillotine IIC, a Phoenix Hawk IIC, and a Grasshopper (IIC custom, anything goes), would this put weight estimates at about what the OpFor's rough tonnage was? I'm wondering if there's room for <REDACTED>

As you frame it, no, and indeed, you'd be overtonned. As it is, yes.

Der Schellenberg posted:

For example, when the Federated Suns took all that territory from the Capellan Confederation, how many regiment equivalents did they use to take how many planets? I keep assuming they have around 100ish regiments because that number sounds familiar, but I may have made it up. If they took all their troops off the border with the Draconis Combine to do this and they take 50 worlds from the Capellens, ~2 regiments per planet.

Battletech invasions don't happen all at once. Invariably, there are waves of attacks, 4 here, 6 there, with the available forces divided up between the targets for that wave. Moreover, the FedSuns used the RCT doctrine by the time of the Fourth War, whereby many Mech regiments have 3 armor regiments and 5 infantry regiments attached, along with aerospace support. This is a lot of combat power for the setting. As an example from the same war, I believe in the invasion of Tikonov, an enormously important and well-garrisoned world, all 8 Crucis Lancers RCTs were used.

Der Schellenberg posted:

Not being particularly familiar with the fluff when it comes to conquering planets, how often are there resistance movements that crop up?

During the Third and Fourth Succession War eras, not very much. But Sun-Tzu Liao's Xin Sheng program (and years of Maskirovka preparation) engendered a great deal of nationalistic spirit and resistance among the conquered populations of what Hanse had won a few decades before.

Der Schellenberg posted:

Also considering that the Capellans have the largest population per planet on average, how can 2 regiments take any planet from any house when all any house has to do is have a barely trained anti-tank/anti-mech force with 1/100 citizens in this planetary militia?

Changing conventions of war after the First and Second Succession Wars had done serious damage to civilization. If the defender doesn't engage in total war (universal conscription, for example), the attacker will also refrain from doing so (nukes aside, what good is a underarmed mobilized citizenry in a universe with fighter-bombers armed with energy weapons in orbital bases?).

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I don't think it is a Phoenix Hawk IIC either. Someone would have noticed that the thing is an assault mech. Also doesn't fit with the 2 heavies and 1 medium designation. The Goshawk theory seems accurate....

Which is very very bad news for the players.

Looking at it, if PTN was truthful in that the clans have 210t of gear in this mission, that would setup for the Guillotine, (70) the Goshawk, (55) and the Grasshopper (70?). This is 195t barring any changes to the Grasshopper, so <REDACTED> might be around. Have fun with that!

The other alternative is a true PHX-IIC, instead of the 80 ton derp machine canon uses. I can only imagine the horrors that this machine would bring to the table.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 30, 2011

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

evilmiera posted:

It's not even mostly about lost troops, though that counts as well. The materials he'd be able to bring in would be miniscule in comparison to the already somewhat small amounts they managed to bring in during the original timeline, unless Kerensky attacked almost every single functioning manufactory left in the IS.

Hey, that's no problem. Instead of finding the canon Clan worlds, Kerensky came across the ruins of an ancient civilization which, before it died, had built a number of mech designs and had advanced their technology to Clan levels. See, the events in Far Country actually involved time travel, and Tetatae colonized these worlds after developing mech technology, and... um...

Sorry about that. I blame the thread for exposing me to Far Country in the first place.

Besides, if that were true there'd be a Clan Tetatae with a totem mech particularly offensive to Battletech fans.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, this changes things. I think the IS might be in for pain. Instead of making a direct thrust towards Terra, the Clans are destroying all they come across (if I'm not mistaken about their intentions).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fraction Jackson posted:

So, okay - a couple questions.

1. If Kerensky lost, how did he manage to kill Stefan Amaris anyway? Did this timeline's Amaris not hole himself up on Terra while his armies rampaged around?

The assault on Terra still happened.

Fraction Jackson posted:

2. If Kerensky lost, what happened to the Rim Worlds Republic forces?

You'll see.

Fraction Jackson posted:

3. If the metric is "letting the Star League fall"...didn't he lose in the normal timeline, anyway? I mean, it seems to me that everything could be almost the same, only with his attitude upon leaving changed; anger instead of mere regret.

Yes, but his regret in the normal timeline was passed down to his son; who exaggerated and blew it out of proportion and used it as a tool to give his Clans a 'greater goal' to strive for. In this timeline, his anger was exaggerated and blown out of proportion by his son who used it as a tool to give his Clans a common enemy to fear and dispise.

Defiance Industries posted:

Except that entire sibkos will routinely produce one guy, and all the others either wash out or get killed.

They regularly produce 5-7. The Steel Vipers have it the worst and usually only produce 2-3 marginally extra-superior warriors instead of 5-7 plain-old superior ones.

landcollector posted:

Well, this changes things. I think the IS might be in for pain. Instead of making a direct thrust towards Terra, the Clans are destroying all they come across (if I'm not mistaken about their intentions).

It really depends on the Clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

And then the Inner Sphere gets mad and annihilates that Clan, fun times.

So galactic scale:
"Umad? OW! gently caress OW! OW MY DI- *gurgle*"

Don't do it diamond shark, you have so much to live for!

• Locked thread