Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Any recommendations for a good deep fryer for ~$100?

Invest in a really nice cast iron dutch oven, works way better and for allot more stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

ColHannibal posted:

Invest in a really nice cast iron dutch oven, works way better and for allot more stuff.

I already have one and its what I use currently, but my stove sucks and makes it really difficult if not impossible to reach and maintain specific temperatures.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Since waffleimages is now down, the Kitchenaid mixer link in the OP is broken.

Is there a specific kitchen aid mixer model that is recommended? We generally make our own bread and pizza crust, as well as mix casein protein into "fluff", but are doing this with a hand mixer.

Sam's Club has this one:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod500276

However, I cannot find that model number anywhere else so I can't compare it to the other ones like on Amazon.

Any ideas?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Uziel posted:

Is there a specific kitchen aid mixer model that is recommended? We generally make our own bread and pizza crust, as well as mix casein protein into "fluff", but are doing this with a hand mixer.

Sam's Club has this one:

However, I cannot find that model number anywhere else so I can't compare it to the other ones like on Amazon.

Any ideas?

From what I've heard, the KP26M1X Professional 600 Series 6qt model is best, especially if you're making bread, because bowl-lift models have a stronger motor than the head-tilt models and can stand up to stiffer doughs.

You'll also see things like KG25HOXOB or KP26M1XNP. The two bolded letters in the model number indicate the color (onyx black and nickel pearl respectively). Edit: You won't see them bolded, I just bolded them to show what I meant.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Uziel posted:

Sam's Club has this one:

Any ideas?

$269 is a great price for that model. The lift-bowl mixers usually MSRP for $400 and up, although I've seen a similar model at Costco for $300

Just keep in mind if you're buying new blades or bowls for it, that you get the lift-bowl types and not the ones for tilt-head models

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

From what I've heard, the KP26M1X Professional 600 Series 6qt model is best, especially if you're making bread, because bowl-lift models have a stronger motor than the head-tilt models and can stand up to stiffer doughs.

You'll also see things like KG25HOXOB or KP26M1XNP. The two bolded letters in the model number indicate the color (onyx black and nickel pearl respectively). Edit: You won't see them bolded, I just bolded them to show what I meant.
Thanks.
I was all set to buy one of the lift bowl ones, but they are unfortunately too tall and won't fit under my cabinets. :|

I'm gonna borrow my mother in law's lift top kitchenaid for awhile and see how it works.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

Uziel posted:

Thanks.
I was all set to buy one of the lift bowl ones, but they are unfortunately too tall and won't fit under my cabinets. :|

I'm gonna borrow my mother in law's lift top kitchenaid for awhile and see how it works.

Be careful using it with the bread dough. Models produced in some years have problems with the gears and gearbox failing if used heavily for bread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The tilt-head models are 17.5 inches high when tilted up. MIght want to check your cabinets to see if that will fit.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 26, 2011

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there any reason not to get All Clad copper core cookware? Like something better for the same price, or just as good for less?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there any reason not to get All Clad copper core cookware?
Cause it costs significantly more and people who bought them said they couldn't tell any performance difference between it and the aluminum core All-Clads.

I can only hazard a guess, but I think maybe the copper layer is so thin that it doesn't make much of a difference.

Mauviel makes copper cookware with more copper in several different configurations, but they cost twice as much as All-Clad and Cook's Illustrated said there were issues with its saucepan design (handles got hot, bad angles on handle, too heavy)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 28, 2011

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Steve Yun posted:

Mauviel makes copper cookware with more copper in several different configurations, but they cost twice as much as All-Clad and Cook's Illustrated said there were issues with its saucepan design (handles got hot, bad angles on handle, too heavy)

I can confirm this last bit. The handles get scorching, and the saucepans tip over at the drop of a hat.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there any reason not to get All Clad copper core cookware? Like something better for the same price, or just as good for less?

I bought the D5 which is steel - aluminum - steel - aluminum - steel.

The copper core are just steel - copper - steel.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

I bought the D5 which is steel - aluminum - steel - aluminum - steel.

The copper core are just steel - copper - steel.

Actually the All-Clad copper core is steel aluminum copper aluminum steel

BOOTY PIRATE
Jun 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've had both, I ended up selling off the copper core and sticking with the D5. couldn't tell any difference but in the price

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
If you're interested in All-Clad, I'd get this set. It's one of the few cookware sets I've seen that actually hit the right points in terms of useful pieces and sizes. I bought the original (non-D5) version a few years ago and use every piece on a regular basis. CI did a review of cookware sets last year and agreed with my assessment.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So pretty much for all practical reasons, the the D5 is as just good as the copper core, but cheaper?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 29, 2011

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

So pretty much for all practical reasons, the the G5 is as just good as the copper core, but cheaper?

I can't speak from personal experience, but everything I read when researching my own purchase lead me to conclude it wasn't worth the extra cost unless you like a pretty copper band on your pots and pans. There were some practical differences before, like the rolled lips on all the copper pans, but D5 has that too so it's no longer applicable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Falk sells full copper cookware that costs only a little more than that. If you care about the benefits of copper enough to pay $240.00 for a pan, might as well pay 280 for the real deal, imo. And that's just for 2.5mm thick copper. I think copper pans in general from other manufacturers cost less than the copper core All-Clad stuff.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 28, 2011

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Actually the All-Clad copper core is steel aluminum copper aluminum steel

That's correct, my bad.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Garlic press. I don't want one that'll cost a million dollars. I just want a basic one that squishes garlic. Don't need ergonomic handles, plastic inserts, slicing attachments, or any other such faggotry.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Trudeau is cheap, simple, sturdy as hell, and you can throw in two or three cloves at a time without even bothering to peel them, although you'll probably want to chop off the hard knotty part at the bottom of most cloves, they keep the thing from pressing all the way closed.

http://www.amazon.com/Trudeau-099-685-Garlic-Press/dp/B00062B0EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1304117235&sr=8-1

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
Get a microplane instead. Smashing garlic damages too many cell walls and enhances that bitter/spicy not-good pungency that garlic can get. Grating garlic on a microplane works much better, and a microplane costs about the same as a garlic press, but can be used for so much more than garlic.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Smashing garlic damages too many cell walls so instead you prefer to finely grate it which does the same thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I prefer grating garlic because clean-up is easier. Never noticed any difference in flavor.

BOOTY PIRATE
Jun 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Bob_McBob posted:

If you're interested in All-Clad, I'd get this set. It's one of the few cookware sets I've seen that actually hit the right points in terms of useful pieces and sizes. I bought the original (non-D5) version a few years ago and use every piece on a regular basis. CI did a review of cookware sets last year and agreed with my assessment.

Good set, but I would go with this deal;

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/all-clad-stainless/premier-cookware-set-p110011

get all that, plus a lasagna pan for 600

add a lodge skillet and you have your bases covered for 95% of everything you could need

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
For Yuropean guunz:

Eden knives.
20cm wood handle sharp knive with narrow blade and Vg-10 60HRC steel?
gently caress yes.
Not for 150, but for around 30 Euros?
doublefuck yes.

http://www.edenwebshops.de/de/ct/eden-quality-classic-vg10.htm

oh yeah, and 25 years of guarantee

35 bucks for that thing

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 30, 2011

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I prefer grating garlic because clean-up is easier. Never noticed any difference in flavor.

I like garlic crushers as well but if you visualize the mechanics in your head grating makes a lot of sense.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
These.

Pruning shears from the garden make for good, powerhouse poultry shears. They are made to cut wood. Animal bones are a joke. They also have a lifetime warranty, so they're built to last.

By no means a "need to have" device, but I have found them useful when dealing with chicken and turkey and the like. They also do a number on shellfish.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

Chemmy posted:

Smashing garlic damages too many cell walls so instead you prefer to finely grate it which does the same thing.

Have you ever used a microplane? It doesn't so much grate as slices with dozens of tiny blades. This does less damage to the garlic, and in my opinion tastes better. Some people like that bitter garlic burn. I don't. I even go so far as to remove the center "stem" of the garlic.

Michel Richard in Happy in the Kitchen advocates using a microplane for garlic. Anthony Bourdain says in Kitchen Confidential, "Garlic is divine. Few food items can taste so many distinct ways, handled correctly. Misuse of garlic is a crime. Old garlic, burnt garlic, garlic cut too long ago and garlic that has been tragically smashed through one of those abominations, the garlic press, are all disgusting. Please, treat you're garlic with respect. [...] I don't know what that junk is that squeezes out the end of those things, but it ain't garlic."

And as I mentioned a decent garlic press will cost about the same as a microplane. A microplane can grate many things. A garlic press, for the most part, presses garlic.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
What are the advantages of stainless over the cheap teflon coated cookware sets? I like that they're dishwashable and will heat food more evenly and brown better, but I'm wondering if it's worthwhile getting an entire set as opposed to just a pan or two (i.e. do I need stainless steel pots?).

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

logical fallacy posted:

Michel Richard in Happy in the Kitchen advocates using a microplane for garlic. Anthony Bourdain says in Kitchen Confidential, "Garlic is divine. Few food items can taste so many distinct ways, handled correctly. Misuse of garlic is a crime. Old garlic, burnt garlic, garlic cut too long ago and garlic that has been tragically smashed through one of those abominations, the garlic press, are all disgusting. Please, treat you're garlic with respect. [...] I don't know what that junk is that squeezes out the end of those things, but it ain't garlic."

I agree with you, but quoting Bourdain in terms of kitchen science doesn't really help your case.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

rawrr posted:

What are the advantages of stainless over the cheap teflon coated cookware sets? I like that they're dishwashable and will heat food more evenly and brown better, but I'm wondering if it's worthwhile getting an entire set as opposed to just a pan or two (i.e. do I need stainless steel pots?).

Stainless steel pots and pans will generally last forever whereas teflon wears off over time. Get ones with welded or riveted metal handles, plastic handles tend to break off eventually.

My parents still use their stainless Eva-Trio pots and pans every single day. They bought them in the early 80s and I'm willing to bet that they'll still be using them 20 years from now. Those were rather expensive pieces of cookware, but I bet even the relatively cheap stainless steel stuff from Ikea will last at least 15-20 years of everyday use. Try doing that with teflon-coated stuff.

I have a single piece of teflon cookware, a relatively cheap teflon pan that I use once in a while for tricky stuff or sticky experiments. All of my other pots and pans are either enameled, cast iron or stainless steel. It's been months since I last used my teflon pan.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I went to test both the microplane and my trudeau press, and quite honestly I can't tell the difference. If anything, the microplane liquified the garlic even more than the trudeau press, which was still kinda chunky.

As far as I can tell from researching this, garlic contains alliin and alliinase. When cell walls are destroyed by chopping/slicing/pressing/grating, the alliin and alliinase are released and mix, producing allicin, which is the zing of garlic. All the different methods of processing garlic just appear to produce varying intensities of the same allicin. Pressing just leads to (in general) the most allicin produced of all the methods, which for some people is too much.

All of this is tempered by the application of heat to the allicin, which breaks it down.

The sum of all this is that you probably want to try pressing/grating/mincing to see what level of intensity is palatable to yourself, and keep in mind that cooking will make the same amount of garlic less zingy than it would be in a recipe that called for it raw.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 1, 2011

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

KozmoNaut posted:

Stainless steel pots and pans will generally last forever whereas teflon wears off over time. Get ones with welded or riveted metal handles, plastic handles tend to break off eventually.
This, plus stainless-clad pans can be used at very high settings in the range, in the oven, and under the broiler. Oh, and being able to use a metal whisk or immersion blender is VERY handy for saucepans, since some sauces basically require it. There are rubberized whisks for use in nonstick pans, but they're less durable and harder to clean.

All of these make them more flexible. I use my 10" saute pan to roast chickens, which I'd never dare do with my nonstick stuff.

Oh, bonus: a lot of Teflon-coated non-sticks will emit perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) when heated, enough to kill pet birds and probably not a good thing to be consuming in food.

I have precisely 3 nonstick pans: one hard-anodized one large saute pan I never use, one small omelet pan, and a saucepan which is hand for stuff leaving starchy, sticky residues.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Acetone posted:

This, plus stainless-clad pans can be used at very high settings in the range, in the oven, and under the broiler.

My dad did a practical demonstration of thos. He was going to steam some cauliflower in stainless steam basket in one of their pots. After like 20 minutes on high he started wondering why there was no steam, of course he forgot to add water :v:

The pot was hot enough to burn a big black hole in a dish rag he put the pot on because it was too hot to handle, 20 minutes on full power on a glass-ceramic cooktop will do that.

The pot now has a slight yellowish discoloration to it and apart from being very slightly warped, it still works perfectly fine. A teflon pot would have severely hosed us all up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I actually have a question on dinnerware. I'm looking for a plain white set. No fancy poo poo, no colors, no textures that look like fruit or some poo poo.

The problem is that I'm looking for ones that are designed aesthetically well to present food on ("restaurant-like", for lack of a better word). Like bowls with wide rims so that a serving of pasta or a serving of soup has plenty of negative space around it. I've been to Amazon and BB&B and their white ones look like ugly.

Something like this in mind (random image search):

Website/Company that makes similar? I've seen some online restaurant supply houses but I have to order a dozen of each piece.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 30, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
No restaurant supply stores in your local area?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Crate and Barrel have nice inexpensive white plates.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Here we go:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining-and-entertaining/individual-bowls/restaurant-bowl/s682764

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
For the month of June, you can bring two knives into Sur La Table and they'll sharpen them for free. Probably worth about $15

edit: more dinnerware with large rims:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/prod60011/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 31, 2011

• Locked thread