Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

hope and vaseline posted:

I think my favorite moment of SG-1 is when Teal'c sits down to watch the Vagina monologues.

Oh, GOD...

I *missed* an episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Effingham posted:

Oh, GOD...

I *missed* an episode!

For what it's worth, that is the highlight of the episode it's from.

"Family Ties"
Vala's father, Jacek, makes a deal with the SGC for sanctuary in exchange for helping stop an attack on Earth. As Jacek attempts to repair his relationship with Vala, General Landry is inspired to reach out to his daughter, Dr Lam, and his ex-wife.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

"Family Ties"
Vala's father, Jacek, makes a deal with the SGC for sanctuary in exchange for helping stop an attack on Earth. As Jacek attempts to repair his relationship with Vala, General Landry is inspired to reach out to his daughter, Dr Lam, and his ex-wife.

See that didn't make sense to me. Wasn't Vala a Gould for centuries? How could her human daddy still be alive?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER

Rhyno posted:

See that didn't make sense to me. Wasn't Vala a Gould for centuries? How could her human daddy still be alive?

Who cares, it's Vala, and therefore terrible!!! Landry was an okay sub for Hammond of Texas, though.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I don't think they ever mentioned how long she was host to Qetesh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yehudis Basya posted:

Who cares, it's Vala, and therefore terrible!!! Landry was an okay sub for Hammond of Texas, though.

I have an undying love for Claudia Black so I will always enjoy Vala.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

Yehudis Basya posted:

"Hammond of Texas"
Made me smile so bad, and realize how much i miss Stargate...
Stargate was so good, and incomparable to more serious stuff like BSG, because it was obvious from day one the writers and actors were having a giggle creating the most nerd-fodderest show they possibly could.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A lot of people like Baal but I think Maury Chaykin played the best Gould. All he wanted to do was eat cupcakes, seedless grapes, and roast chicken all day.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Flatscan posted:

It's not that they decided to give up, it's that they'd managed to give themselves some hosed degenerative disease while trying to solve the cloning problem. It wasn't really mass suicide, it was more mass euthanasia. Better that than just loving off and leaving all their high-tech doomsday devices just lying around for any retarded caveman to find. loving ancients.

Which makes no sense because they have time dilation devices which were used on many occasions. They could have easily taken some scientists and had them work on solutions to the problems for thousands or millions of years in the time it would take one generation to pass, and they could keep non-degenerated clones for them to go back into when they were done. The Asgard had all the technology available to work on their problem forever but instead they just blew themselves up because they needed a premise for one episode of SG-1.

They said their one problem was time but time was literally the one thing they had a nearly infinite amount of. Plus as they showed in the finale, they could go back in time as well, so really there was no excuse other than lack of creativity.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 30, 2011

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
I like to think they just got tired of all the poo poo that's been heaped on them. I mean, they've lost their homeworld, their attempts to start a new home keep getting interrupted by replicators and on top of that is the clone problem. Couple that with the fact that each individual probably has been alive for a long time, and I can believe that they simply got tired with life in general.

Definitely would have preferred if they went into stasis or something, rather than kill themselves all off though. And if I recall, its shown that you can even keep their consciousness in a computer, so its even easier! Just hand the tech to the humans and tell them to wake them up when they solve the clone problem.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rhyno posted:

Shepard and his naming of things/people was one of my favorite aspects of the show.

This leads into my favourite aspect of Atlantis. Todd the Wraith. He's the best recurring character on that show. I now wish they had gotten more seasons and made him part of the expedition or something.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This leads into my favourite aspect of Atlantis. Todd the Wraith. He's the best recurring character on that show. I now wish they had gotten more seasons and made him part of the expedition or something.

The most ironic thing about Todd the Wraith is that the actors previous character on the show is probably one of the worst, that village guy was constantly whining and complaining and I despised him. Yet he managed to actually be someone cool when given a better role.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
One of my favorite SG-1 episodes is "1969".

When SG-1 gets caught, the guards asks "Are you Russian spies?", and Daniel responds with "Nyet" followed by Jack staring him down.
Also this scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY-3kVIc1F8&feature=related from the same episode :)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My favourite bit form 1969 is the hippy asking Teal'c what the symbol on his head means. Peace? Free love?

SLAVERY. AND THE OPPRESSION OF FALSE GODS.

....groovy.

Jaims
Mar 19, 2007
This title shows my creativity!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNUxTJkpxss

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Palleon posted:

Which makes no sense because they have time dilation devices which were used on many occasions. They could have easily taken some scientists and had them work on solutions to the problems for thousands or millions of years in the time it would take one generation to pass, and they could keep non-degenerated clones for them to go back into when they were done. The Asgard had all the technology available to work on their problem forever but instead they just blew themselves up because they needed a premise for one episode of SG-1.

They said their one problem was time but time was literally the one thing they had a nearly infinite amount of. Plus as they showed in the finale, they could go back in time as well, so really there was no excuse other than lack of creativity.

No dude, watch the episode again. Their last attempt to fix the problem had given every single Asgard a disease which would kill them in months. All of them. Putting some scientists in a time dilation field wouldn't have helped, they would still only have a couple of months to work on the problem before they died. Once they had the disease they were already dead, just a matter of time.

I can see why you didn't like this end for the Asgard, but it's obviously what their story has been leading to since they were introduced. All four of the elder races, or at least the three we've come across, have huge flaws which act as warnings to humanity. Over-reliance on technology is the flaw of the Asgard and it's what destroyed them as a race.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Flatscan posted:

No dude, watch the episode again. Their last attempt to fix the problem had given every single Asgard a disease which would kill them in months. All of them. Putting some scientists in a time dilation field wouldn't have helped, they would still only have a couple of months to work on the problem before they died. Once they had the disease they were already dead, just a matter of time.

I can see why you didn't like this end for the Asgard, but it's obviously what their story has been leading to since they were introduced. All four of the elder races, or at least the three we've come across, have huge flaws which act as warnings to humanity. Over-reliance on technology is the flaw of the Asgard and it's what destroyed them as a race.

That's even more retarded. An ancient superadvanced race of geniuses (with an unlimited supply of perfect clones to run tests on and infinite amount of time thanks to their time dilation fields) don't test the poo poo out of their "cure" and infects the entire population with some sort of spaceplague? Really? And all of them? Every Asgard spread around several galaxies caught the disease in the space of a few months. Plus the first news the viewers get of this is literally two minutes before they blow themselves up. We hadn't even seen them in like three season.

What? Shittiest writing I've ever seen. Still so angry. :argh:

Luckily someone posted this in the Star Trek thread and for some reason it makes me happy:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Goddamn, that guy had a lot of photo ops with Shanksy.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wasn't there "evil" Asgard in the Pegasus galaxy? Whatever happened to them?

I still have to watch the last couple of episodes of SGU but one thing I don't get is why the Lucian Alliance were considered such a big threat to Earth. I mean Earth may not have the chair from Antarctica to protect them anymore, but they do have Atlantis parked somewhere off of San Franciso, and their own ships, not to mention all that Asgard technology the SGC got before the Asgard wiped themselves out. And the planting bombs with cloaked ships thing bugged me, because there was an episode of SG-1 where Carter tries to locate a cloaked ship by the signals it was giving off or something, and I imagine it would be easier for them spot cloaked ships now since they have Atlantis, which can cloak itself, and Asgard sensors among other things.

Speaking of Atlantis, whatever happened to it? I was hoping they make some reference to it in that SGU episode with Woolsey and McKay in it, but no mention of it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Never let logic get in the way of a good story.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
I'm in the process of binging through Atlantis for the first time and just watched the first season episode "Home". My question.

Does Weir ever become likable? She always strikes me as that repressed catholic mom who lived in your neighborhood growing up and would Buzz (in this case Beatrice) Killington that just smoother any sort of pleasure or fun in any given situation.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Weir is always an aching bollock of a character. Largely down to bad writing I think, but it might have been different if they'd had an actress with some charm or talent. Alas.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I liked the first Weir. :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I actually didn't mind Weir. :shobon:

She was an administrator, and I only disliked their use of her when she stepped beyond that role. Lt. Ford was far, far more poorly written. Even when he went bad and became Robin Hood, he was still terrible.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Weir wasn't that bad in comparison to Forde yeah. I was glad when they got rid of him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think I'm the only person who liked Lt. Ford. :(

Wier was always pretty boring though.

e: by that I mean Lt. Ford before he got hooked on space meth.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 30, 2011

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Imagine Atlantis if they had Greer instead of Ford, best show ever.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Senor Tron posted:

Imagine Atlantis if they had Greer instead of Ford, best show ever.

He probably would've smothered Rodney with his bare hands and Weir would've told him that he was a "good commander."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I don't know. They would have had to make Greer a Major or something, because all the enlisted in the first two shows are incompetant fools. Only officers got to be remotely good at their jobs, unless you're that guy counting chevrons.

Stargate definitely had a problem with the Air Force being staffed entirely with commissioned officers. Same with Star Trek, though you can kind of forgive Trek that one, being set in the future and all.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I don't know. They would have had to make Greer a Major or something, because all the enlisted in the first two shows are incompetant fools. Only officers got to be remotely good at their jobs, unless you're that guy counting chevrons.

Stargate definitely had a problem with the Air Force being staffed entirely with commissioned officers. Same with Star Trek, though you can kind of forgive Trek that one, being set in the future and all.

I think Chief O'Brien was an NCO. Although, he was the redshirt that never died. Only suffered miserably in every episode about him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Heh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geNY3YyDR-A

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

"Family Ties"

drat.

TIme to break out the season 10 discs....

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

drcru posted:

I think Chief O'Brien was an NCO. Although, he was the redshirt that never died. Only suffered miserably in every episode about him.

True, the lone noncom. I think he was actually a Lt. or something in TNG and Chief was just his nickname because he was the chief transporter operator. DS9 made him Chief Petty Officer.

DS9 had infantry soldiers in an episode or two, who were inevitably privates and sergeants. I know the US Navy probably doesn't have Corporals and stuff, but not once since TOS has there been a Yoeman or a Boatswain.

MY NAVAL IMMERSION

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Sgt. Siler on SG-1 was awesome and Atlantis had Sgt. Bates in the first season.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Those are some of my favorite moments. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL9BYBcng-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MFcNK0Te_U

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

the-jam posted:

Sgt. Siler on SG-1 was awesome and Atlantis had Sgt. Bates in the first season.

Who?

And who?

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Who?

And who?
Siler was the chief technician at the SGC and was played by RDA's stunt double so he was always getting thrown into things. He appeared in 47 episodes across all ten seasons and in Continuum. He in fact was the third most common guest star after Gary and Dr. Fraiser. http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Siler

Bates was head of internal security on season one of Atlantis and was always distrustful of Tayla. He was pretty cliche. He left after season one but came back as an NID agent in season 4.
http://gateworld.net/wiki/Bates

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ahh. I guess I meant more as a lead cast member, though there is a great lack of enlisted in these shows regardless. I guess maybe the idea being that SGC is high-clearanced enough that your average Joe isn't trusted enough, yet we have butter-bar Scott slutting around Icarus Base, so who the gently caress knows?

Slightly better than Starship Troopers where Rico just keeps getting brevetted higher and higher as everyone is dying around him. He might still be getting paid like a Private at the end of that film. :v:

mania
Sep 9, 2004

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Speaking of Atlantis, whatever happened to it? I was hoping they make some reference to it in that SGU episode with Woolsey and McKay in it, but no mention of it.

According to the series of books (it's a six part series called Legacy) that take place after the series, Atlantis (and her crew) eventually head back to the Pegasus galaxy against the wishes of the IOA.

Did anyone read the first two SGA: Legacy books - Homecoming and The Lost? I picked up Homecoming since I was desperate for more SGA, the book blurb was all "new adventures in the Pegasus galaxy!" and I had the impression that the show runners had set the plot for the writers and that the novels were the new medium where SGA would carry on.

I got through like 1/3 into Homecoming before giving up. I know, it's a tv tie in novel, but some of the previous books were decent and felt like an SGA episode. But ugh Homecoming - apart from the crap writing and randomly having Woosley referred to as 'Dick' in the narration, the author/s are huge Sheppard/Teyla shippers.

A good portion of the 1/3 I read was spent on Sheppard and Teyla sorta kinda having feelings for each other - Sheppard looking after Teyla's kid and wanting to have a family, Teyla confessing her feelings for Sheppard to Rodney and making him promise not to tell Sheppard, an IOA diplomat mistaking Sheppard and Teyla as husband and wife, and much mutual mooning and dancing around the romance issue. And from the reviews I read, it continues throughout the entire book, huzzah.

If I wanted to read about a Sheppard and Teyla romance, I'd go find some fanfic. (Hell, I've read fic better then this book.) I just want a book about the team kicking Wraith butt throughout the Pegasus galaxy.

mania fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always had a weird crush on Dr Frasier.