Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

oldpainless posted:

I BELIEVE it was mostly JR's idea as a way to get Steve Williams over as a bad-rear end, so it was a legitimate boxing/wrestling contest with filled with mid-carders and they earned points for take-downs and such or you could knock someone out.

Anyway, since it was not fixed people actually got pretty hurt and Williams actually got eliminated and it was won by Bart Gunn who faced Butterbean at WM 15 and got knocked the gently caress out so hard he left the WWF.

Really the whole thing seemed like a flawed idea to me now. There weren't really any big stars I remember in it because you couldn't have Steve Austin getting whoopped by Marc Mero and wrestling fans watched RAW for the wrestling, not for boxing. And boxing fans wouldn't have bothered to watch RAW for boxing, they'd just stick to actual boxing. I think it was chalked up as a lose/lose situation all things considered.

It was JBL's idea since he was and is a UFC mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Twin Cinema posted:

Probably one of my favourite promos ever. The Austin & Rock singing to each other: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcc_7KInyg&feature=related

This was fun. I also loved Heyman calling back to Heenan's "But who's side is he on?" line from when Hogan joined the nWo when Jericho came in at the end.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Sometimes I wonder if the unpredictability of 2001 and 2002 is why the WWE went to trying to script every little detail. But it's likely just Stephanie think she's the best soap opera writer EVAR.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

It's kind of why when people say the crowd was hot for Rhodes vs. Bryan I kind of sit there and say, "Really?" and it's because I remember when Road Dogg would wrestle Droz in 2000 and the crowd would explode in pops and boos.

If the Road Dogg wrestled Droz in 2000, I'm sure he got nuclear heat.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Oops, wrong year.

I was honestly just trying to think of a match up that didn't sound anywhere near as impressive as Cody Rhodes vs. Daniel Bryan that got a poo poo ton of more crowd reaction.

Gillberg vs. Christian might have been better.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I remember it as a squash. Droz rolled right over him.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Moose Bigelow posted:

I remember it as a squash. Droz rolled right over him.

Not really fair to slag Road Dogg for losing a handicap match.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

Oops, wrong year.

I was honestly just trying to think of a match up that didn't sound anywhere near as impressive as Cody Rhodes vs. Daniel Bryan that got a poo poo ton of more crowd reaction.

I was at a Smackdown taping in 2001 in Toronto and Perry Saturn got a raging pop before squashing some jobber.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Whatboy posted:

Classic British wrestling certainly does and some promotions still run with it. Here is a sample of that with Sheamus. A lot of other promotions are now influenced by the WWE and American wrestling though, so its starting to fade away.

Wow Sheamus looks better with less body mass, and he looks really good in that environment.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

Wow Sheamus looks better with less body mass, and he looks really good in that environment.

Is it just me or does it sound like Macho rapping while Sheamus was posing?

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
^^^^^ More like House of Pain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYrEG1d_Tzk

LordPants posted:

You should track down some of his old matches with Drew Galloway (McIntyre in WWE) from IWW. They had some pretty good matches there.

Lloyd Van Buren fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 30, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am always amazed by WWE's ability to turn an interesting worker into a boring one. :)

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

In WrestleMania 17 there was a competition to do a version of Limp Biscuit's album cover or something.

The kid who won, his entry was so shockingly bad. What was the deal here, did nobody else enter?

Also what's up with the ending to Taker / Flair at WM18?

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 30, 2011

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ZoDiAC_ posted:

In WrestleMania 17 there was a competition to do a version of Limp Biscuit's album cover or something.

The kid who won, his entry was so shockingly bad. What was the deal here, did nobody else enter?

Also what's up with the ending to Taker / Flair at WM18?

The contest was before people really knew how to use things like photoshop. I would also have to assume that the number of entries was low yeah.

as for flair vs taker. flair was too old to take the last ride taker started to do it on instict (as he hadnt done the tombstone for some time during that american badass gimmick. they decided on the fly that it would be easier and safer if he tombstoned flair.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 30, 2011

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Also, Flair doesn't take flat back bumps, so the last ride would have been a horrible idea.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Hmm weird, you'd have thought they'd have planned the finish out at least.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Lone Rogue posted:

Oops, wrong year.

FACT: More people in attendance = a much more audible reaction :eng101:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

chazburgr posted:

No, not really. Lots of factors besides attendance contribute to crowd noise.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

They could have Wrestlemania in Michigan Stadium, draw 120,000 fans, and it would be one of the quietest Wrestlemanias because of the acoustics. Also it would probably snow.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AkumaHokoru posted:

The contest was before people really knew how to use things like photoshop.
Photoshops and the internet were around LOOOOONG before that PPV.

chazburgr posted:

ECW and ROH.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

LividLiquid posted:

Photoshops and the internet were around LOOOOONG before that PPV.

I think he meant that Photoshopping images was a new thing at the time on the Internet. Nobody knew how to make great photoshops until years later.

I mean, just look at SA photoshops from around WM17: if those were made and posted today people would be banned.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I mean, just look at SA photoshops from around WM17: if those were made and posted today people would be banned.
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/photoshop-phriday/historical-inaccuracies.php

I'd actually say they've gotten worse.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Chilly McFreeze posted:

They could have Wrestlemania in Michigan Stadium, draw 120,000 fans, and it would be one of the quietest Wrestlemanias because of the acoustics. Also it would probably snow.

Which makes the crowd noise at Wembley Stadium for Bret/Bulldog or the Pontiac Silverdome for Hogan/Andre all the more impressive.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Speaking of Bulldog, in the 'One Night Only' mess, the fans tried to stop Hunter/Chyna/Rude from hitting Davey's leg with the barrier gate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e37q6Q7Xrhs

Has anything happened before/since like that, where the fans try to physically assist the face, but without an idiot running into the ring or trying to take a swing at the heel?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Shiki Dan posted:

Which makes the crowd noise at Wembley Stadium for Bret/Bulldog or the Pontiac Silverdome for Hogan/Andre all the more impressive.

The Silverdome was loving loud. Indoor with an inflatable roof. Michigan Stadium is mostly a giant flat bowl.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Did the Macho Man ever beat Hulk Hogan cleanly? I only seem to remember a count out victory in the WWF.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Perigryn posted:

Did the Macho Man ever beat Hulk Hogan cleanly? I only seem to remember a count out victory in the WWF.

I don't think so and I think this goes for WCW too, where he got a couple of DQs I think?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Who has turned on Sting? I want a complete and comprehensive list.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Who has turned on Sting? I want a complete and comprehensive list.

Everyone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bobkatt013 posted:

Everyone.

Even me?! :ohdear:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rarity posted:

Even me?! :ohdear:

Yes if you team with Sting is a law that you must turn on him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes if you team with Sting is a law that you must turn on him.

So if I don't team with him... that means I should be ok, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rarity posted:

So if I don't team with him... that means I should be ok, right?

No it will happen anyways. Its like the sun coming up or Russo having a swerve.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Even Robocop turned on Sting.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bobkatt013 posted:

No it will happen anyways. Its like the sun coming up or Russo having a swerve.

Eh, I'll deal. It's only Sting. He deserves it anyway.

...Oh God, it happened!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rarity posted:

Eh, I'll deal. It's only Sting. He deserves it anyway.

...Oh God, it happened!

Do not worry he will forgive you, so you can do it again and again! I am pretty sure Ric Flair and Lex Luger turned on him at least 10 times each.

Bad Gandalf
Sep 19, 2010
Can someone give me a quick explanation of the bag making GBS threads story?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Alex_OA posted:

Randy Orton was being immature and poo poo in a model's bag.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Flameingblack posted:

Randy Orton was being immature and poo poo in a model's bag.

Maybe.

I believe the woman in question later said Orton opened lotion or something she had in the bag, and poured it in. Sean Waltman, though, there was a guy who loved to poo poo in bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alex_OA posted:

A diva (I forget which) left the company and then alleged publicly that Randy Orton had defecated into her gym bag. This is not an unheard of prank in wrestling (I think at one point members of DX took a poo poo on Jerry Lawler's crown) and probably happened.