Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Thanks to you bunch of non-participators :argh:, I just used randomsteamgame.com to get me the games I should start working on.

Shooter: Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (god help me)
Non-Shooter: Kings Bounty: Armored Princess
BONUS!
Co-op: Serious Sam 2 HD (The lady of the house wants to play through it).

Welp, looks like I have my work cut out for me. While I'm a decent ways into R6:V2, I've heard lots about the length of Armored Princess, seeing as it's much less linear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I just beat Dinivity II : Dragon Knight Saga's base game. I'm tackling the expansion tomorrow.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Oh hey, this thread is alive again. And Backloggery's finished its site remake! That's good news for us all, since we'll still have huge backlogs once the registrations are re-enabled.

My backlog has not changed size. I got Portal 2, and finished its Single Player. I finished Transformers: War for Cybertron, which was a very fine licensed game and actually more satisfying for me than Batman was. Batman did not let me drive a car over a speeding train, then snipe people in midair before landing. However, I also picked up SpaceChem when it went on sale, so new real progress. Currently playing: Bioshock and Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People.

Morter posted:

Thanks to you bunch of non-participators :argh:, I just used randomsteamgame.com to get me the games I should start working on.

This is more or less the way to do it; if you play all the good stuff first you'll end up with an endless wasteland of crap or unknown stuff and no motivation at all to give any of it a shot.

If you want a feeling of progress, you have the following games on your list with no time logged and that I happen to know are both short and, at minimum, decent:

Bob Came In Pieces, Machinarium (although I detested the last fifth or so of it), Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, Secret of Monkey Island, Shatter, Trine, World of Goo.

You also haven't put much time into Deus Ex, which is an awesome game. So is Aquaria, and QuantZ is a really neat match-three game if not exactly short.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I'm glad this thread exists, I really like talking about my backlog clearing exploits for some reason.

Steam says I have 108 games including free stuff and the Mac versions of Civ IV (are they ever going to fix that?), though if I counted right it should actually be 75 for just Steam stuff. (I also have 9 games from GOG and 2 from Gamersgate) A good chunk of those probably came from my first holiday sale, which was the 09 one. I ended up spending $100 on Steam games. While I at least liked most of the games I bought, I still regret it and learned to cut down on impulse buys after that. During the previous holiday sale, I gave myself a $30 limit and I stuck to it. :)

Currently trying to stick to short games or games I'm almost done with. I've been playing:

CoD Modern Warfare 2 SP: I think I'm on the last act. Price launched the EMP. I went through most of the next level but the game crashed and I'm not sure how much progress I lost.
Painkiller Black Edition: I'm on the second level of the final chapter, I should be finishing this soon.
BioShock 2: Just started Dionysus Park. I'm not sure how much I have left.
Shadowgrounds: I made it to the alien mothership. I'm guessing I'm near the end.

On the console side...well, I haven't been playing my consoles too much lately, though I have lots of long games I need to finish. I'll worry about them later.

I'm glad I was able to register on Backloggery before registration closed. It helped me realize I had so many games I never bothered to finish.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 17, 2011

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Morter posted:

Shooter: Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (god help me)
Non-Shooter: Kings Bounty: Armored Princess
BONUS!
Co-op: Serious Sam 2 HD (The lady of the house wants to play through it).

Welp, looks like I have my work cut out for me. While I'm a decent ways into R6:V2, I've heard lots about the length of Armored Princess, seeing as it's much less linear.

R6:V2 is such a far cry from the old R6 games it's sad. Best way to play it I found was on realistic but that still doesn't help with the dumb as bricks AI.

Tolwyn
Jun 13, 2001

Tolwyn fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 23, 2024

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Tolwyn posted:

Currently trying to beat:
The Witcher, since I bought the 2nd one and want to play it pretty bad. Also on my list after that along with beating The Witcher 2 are Metro 2033, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Amnesia and STALKER. Ahhh this will take a good chunk of my next 2 weeks off.

All good games too!

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Now that I'm done with Uni til September, it's time to tackle this backlog.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
SC: Chaos Theory is great fun, and a decent length as well - only problem is it's so much better than the others that it makes then a bit redundant! Also it has some amusingly inexplicable product placement to laugh at on the way.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Sam & Max are great and can be killed fairly easily. Psychonauts you should know by now is awesome.

Or Bioshock if you seriously haven't beat them.

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

I'm working on NWN2 right now. Spent 62 hours on the main campaign and am about 3 hours in Mask of the Betrayer. I'm still going to say BG2 is the greatest RPG ever, but NWN2 is really unbelievably good.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Witcher > Witcher 2.

That'll keep you busy for a while :D

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Try Shadowgrounds and Metro 2033, they're fun, simple to play and not too long.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Guillermus posted:

Try Shadowgrounds and Metro 2033, they're fun, simple to play and not too long.

If you have a good graphics card Metro 2033 looks loving fantastic. The smoke rising from the barrel after a massive firefight... drat it's a good looking game.

Also, the book is really really good...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lurchibles posted:

People just don't get how addictive this game can be. I gifted a copy to my girlfriend when it was in the Christmas sale and she spend over 7 hours on it on the first evening alone. Fantastic game.

I know what you mean, I gifted my girlfriend Portal and PvZ during the Christmas sale. She has sunk about 70 hours in to PvZ since then and still hasn't finished Portal. :ughh:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Backloggery is set to accept registrations again June 3.

I, meanwhile, have finished Bioshock, which means my backlog is FPS-free until Human Revolution hits. I've been trying to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but the sanity effects give me headaches and so I can only play for like 20 minutes at a time. I guess that's like fear.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am starting on my backlog again after a long trip to Germany and more time spent in Bad Company 2. I am going to play through Knights of the Old Republic.

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet
So, "Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved" is one of my backlog games. I don't merely want to just play it shortly and scratch it off the list but I want to achieve a respectable score that's possible for someone with average gaming skills to attain. What should I shoot for? Also, is a controller a must for this game?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I just beat (well completed I think, I did all the sidequests in the expansion and all that I could in the base game, I gimped myself on some of them thus being broken) Divinity II : Dragon Knight Saga.

Both games had the worst endings, I liked the game but those endings ruined any replay value to check on the rear end in a top hat options.

I recommend it if you want a nice little RPG. I liked the freedom you don't usually have in newer RPG games.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
So after losing like 6 months of gaming time to Starcraft 2 multiplayer, I finally got back on the wagon and beat Deus Ex last night! :unsmith: loving awesome game by the way. I've now finished I think all of the "must play" games in my account, including all the Half-Life games (except Blue Shift), Portal 1, Stalker SoC, Bioshock, Dawn of War 1, Dawn of War 2 + Chaos Rising, Fallout 3, Far Cry, and some others.

And so then I looked at my backlog and got totally overwhelmed trying to decide what to play next. Obviously I have a lot of older games I'm trying to get through as I have kind of crappy hardware to play on (a bootcamped iMac with a 9400M). I actually have a ridiculously powerful HTPC but I pretty much only use that for racing games and arcade stuff like Shatter and Space Giraffe.

So anyway, here are games that I played recently and gave up partway through and now want to go back and finish (I'm trying to play through the classics I missed the first time around):
Descent 1
Fallout 1
Ground Control
Trine
Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded
Uplink
Doom 2

Then there are the games I bought recently and haven't even had a chance to try out yet, but am really itching to, in some cases b/c I want to find a co-op partner before their community dies out:
Magicka
Terraria
Shadowgrounds

And finally stuff in my backlog that I intend to get to at some point but they can wait:
Freespace 1/2
GTA 3
Company of Heroes
Hitman: Blood Money
Star Wars: Dark Forces and Jedi Academy
Unreal 1
Warhammer 40k DoW: Dark Crusade

So my concern about playing some of those older games, esp. the shooters like Descent and Doom, is that they'll just get too long and too hard at a certain point and I'll get frustrated that I haven't beaten them but won't feel like finishing them. Oh well, I guess if that happens it happens, I just uninstall them and consider them "done" as long as I've gotten like 3/4 of the way through the game or something.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Can we drop a game when it's boring? I'm just not getting into Bully at all.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
I've dropped a few, at least you have now tried the game and can have some buyers remorse. Or get a controller and persevere since Bully is actually a pretty good game if you like sandbox like games with a difference.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Mr Right posted:

I've dropped a few, at least you have now tried the game and can have some buyers remorse. Or get a controller and persevere since Bully is actually a pretty good game if you like sandbox like games with a difference.

I have a controller and I liked GTA, Just Cause 2 and other sandbox games. Bully is just loving annoying with the clock ticking so fast, more often than not I can't do a mission while skipping class and get back to get busted and time warp to the class.

I played for 6 hours and doing the main missions is way too annoying. I don't see a point of just exploring and do cool things in this game. At least it only cost 3$ or so back when I bought it.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men is surpisingly good if you quit the game as soon as you leave urban settings. The game goes from great to absolutely dreadful. Don't bother with the sequel unless you find it cheap. It's a fun game, but literally four hours long.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Hemish posted:

I have a controller and I liked GTA, Just Cause 2 and other sandbox games. Bully is just loving annoying with the clock ticking so fast, more often than not I can't do a mission while skipping class and get back to get busted and time warp to the class.

I played for 6 hours and doing the main missions is way too annoying. I don't see a point of just exploring and do cool things in this game. At least it only cost 3$ or so back when I bought it.

I really hope you give the game another chance, I do not know how you manage to spend 6h in the chapters before the town opens; but as soon as you unlock the town you cant be brought into class outisde of school grounds and you have plenty of time to do other stuff.
Skipping class in general is easy though; but the minigames are somewhat fun and give good bonusses

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
And once you complete a class it becomes optional. You won't get in trouble for skipping it. So when you have all the classes beaten, you don't have to worry about school again.

If I'm remembering correctly anyway

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Lurchibles posted:

Witcher > Witcher 2.

That'll keep you busy for a while :D

Seconding this man. And then go and play stalker 1 and 2.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

seriously! posted:

So, "Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved" is one of my backlog games. I don't merely want to just play it shortly and scratch it off the list but I want to achieve a respectable score that's possible for someone with average gaming skills to attain. What should I shoot for? Also, is a controller a must for this game?

I'd probably make it a perennial; play a game or two of it each game session until you get bored of it or your score starts to plateau. As a twin stick shooter, twin sticks are mandatory. The Wii versions (and presumably also the PC version) have a move-with-a-dpad-or-WASD, aim-with-the-pointing-device mode, but this is wholly inferior. It lets you focus fire, but what you're going to want is to be able to rake fire over an area as you dodge.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

I liked Aquaria a whole lot, and Jolly Rover is a solid graphic adventure. MI2 is MI2, which I didn't like, but a lot of people did. Magicka is a blast, though it's very challenging single-player. Psychonauts is a great action-adventure until the final area, which is justly despised. The Devil's Playhouse (the Sam and Max games) are quite good. And you've also got Amnesia, which I'm playing right now and enjoying. I don't usually like survival horror, either. I think I'm liking Amnesia because it doesn't artificially increase the tension with crappy controls or cameras that don't show you things right in front of your face. Just keep the sound soft so when it starts being horribly dissonant you, the player, are not injured, but loud enough that you can hear the things coming to eat your face.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zedd posted:

I really hope you give the game another chance, I do not know how you manage to spend 6h in the chapters before the town opens; but as soon as you unlock the town you cant be brought into class outisde of school grounds and you have plenty of time to do other stuff.
Skipping class in general is easy though; but the minigames are somewhat fun and give good bonusses

What? I'm in Chapter 3. And I don't want to skip classes, but I want to do missions but the time ticks so fast I end up skipping class accidentally because the few minutes you spend on the mission means 5 hours in the game. Also, time goes by. I think I have a limited amount of days since Halloween and Christmas went by.

But yeah I love sandbox games and I played a bunch of them. For some reason I can't stand Bully. I think it's the way I want to explore but also not miss classes... Anyway enough of this derail, I'm sorry guys.

I need to pick a different game now.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Halloween and Christmas are story events. You do not have a limited amount of days, take your time doing mini-games / classes in between story missions if you worry so much! You literally can't miss out on any.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Man belongs wherever he wants to go
Alright. Been a while since I posted. I gave up on Condemned for some reason. I'll return to it one day, I just find myself getting less and less interested in beating hobos up. In the meanwhile, I've beaten Assassin's Creed 2, and bought Brotherhood during that deal the other day to get down on some multiplayer action, and to continue the story. About to try that out, but my main focus right now is Mirror's Edge. I also got Brink, but you can't really "beat" that per se, and also Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, which I'm playing through in co-op with someone, so my progress in that sort of depends on him being on and both of us feeling like playing.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Mr. Saturday posted:

Alright. Been a while since I posted. I gave up on Condemned for some reason. I'll return to it one day, I just find myself getting less and less interested in beating hobos up. In the meanwhile, I've beaten Assassin's Creed 2, and bought Brotherhood during that deal the other day to get down on some multiplayer action, and to continue the story. About to try that out, but my main focus right now is Mirror's Edge. I also got Brink, but you can't really "beat" that per se, and also Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, which I'm playing through in co-op with someone, so my progress in that sort of depends on him being on and both of us feeling like playing.

I sucked rear end at Mirror's Edge (also I decided not to use a gun once) and it only took 5-6 hours to beat the campaign. You should be able to go back to Assassin's Creed soon!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah Mirror's Edge is a great one to knock off the list. It's fun and short enough that you shouldn't get tired of it.

I haven't posted in this thread yet but somehow over the years I've managed to build up quite a backlog. I've been doing really well lately though, the last game I bought was Bully in April, because it was on sale for about $3, and I've actually finished a couple things.

I recently finished Crysis, and for anyone else who has that on the list, I found that it gets so much more fun once you get to about the halfway point. I was getting really tired of driving around the island and shooting Korean soldiers, something about the way the guns felt and the combination of stealth and action I just couldn't get into, but once I got to the level where you get to drive a tank, I was hooked. They really kick the game into overdrive at that point, and I didn't even mind the alien level.

Any suggestions? The stuff under Favorites I'm playing or trying to. Star Wars KOTOR is mostly what I've been playing and it's fun, but it definitely shows its age in places.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 30, 2011

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Guys....I caved and bought 2 games during Ubisoft week, Assassin's Creed 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 5: Tribes of the East. I was doing very well before then, but hearing so many good things about those games and the low prices made it hard to not purchase them. I was also gifted a copy of Frozen Synapse. I haven't checked any games off of my backlog since Half Life 2: Episode 2. My progress has slowed down quite a bit, but I think I'm finally back on track. 4 hours into Kotor and I don't want to play any other games.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

americanzero4128 posted:

4 hours into Kotor and I don't want to play any other games.
I'm about the same length in, did you get past the first city yet? I'm getting a bit tired of it, I've heard it's the most boring part, so hopefully I'm getting towards the end.

Also I'm really unfamiliar with the D20 games that apparently this gameplay is based on, so hopefully I didn't screw up my character build too badly. I went Scout because the other classes sounded uninteresting, but I'm having a bit of a hard time in combat. I get overwhelmed pretty quickly in the sewers.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I suppose I should post in here as I now have about 95 games on Steam.

What does everyone think is the best way to organise them? I think if I organise them well I will be more inclined to finish a game before starting a new one.

CharredBronson
Jan 22, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm about the same length in, did you get past the first city yet? I'm getting a bit tired of it, I've heard it's the most boring part, so hopefully I'm getting towards the end.

Also I'm really unfamiliar with the D20 games that apparently this gameplay is based on, so hopefully I didn't screw up my character build too badly. I went Scout because the other classes sounded uninteresting, but I'm having a bit of a hard time in combat. I get overwhelmed pretty quickly in the sewers.

It's been a while, but I think there's a way to pause combat to queue up commands. Once I figured that out things got a lot more reasonable.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm actually just getting into the sewers. I've played this before, when it first came out on an ancient computer so my memory of what all is included in the game is a bit fuzzy. I remember having a lot of fun once this bad rear end battle droid joins your party.

If you press spacebar you can pause the game and queue up commands. I've been running with a party of my character (who is a scoundrel, mainly because I wanted to try something different from melee) who has his primary attack as improved rapid fire or whatever the attack is with a blaster rifle. Carth uses improved power shot, and Mission uses sniper shot. Most enemies are dead before they get to me, but I've also gotten into the habit of putting down a frag mine if I have disarmed any, then drawing the enemies towards me and having them run through it to soften them up. I put a couple mines down and it made groups of 4-5 much easier.

I'm not getting too bored with the game right now, but it also helps that I've been wanting to get into a good RPG for a while and I'm a big Star Wars fan, so it's really hitting the spot for me.

With regards to organizing, I have a category for multiplayer, "Forever" games like Torchlight or Titan Quest, Completed, and Garbage for games like Bad Rats and Battlestations: Midway, the Mac copies of Civ 3, and other games that are just plain bad. The rest of my games are uncategorized.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

americanzero4128 posted:

Most enemies are dead before they get to me, but I've also gotten into the habit of putting down a frag mine if I have disarmed any, then drawing the enemies towards me and having them run through it to soften them up. I put a couple mines down and it made groups of 4-5 much easier.
I didn't even think of doing this... I've just been selling the mines to buy more medkits, which I've been burning through. I'll give that a try in the future!

It's going a bit easier for me now that I have the wookie in my party, he's been mowing them down pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Man belongs wherever he wants to go
I remember Taris clear as crystal. If you're in the sewers now, it means you're close to the Black Vulkar base. After that, you gotta win the swoop race, etc., then there are actually two more "dungeon" areas between plot progression (Sith base and Davik's mansion). Taris kind of drags, but trust me - it's all worth it when you get your fancy-pants Jedi training. Even Dantooine is better, and there's almost nothing ON Dantooine. Keep pushing. :)