Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
What happened to the thread about Ashley Madison? Still waiting for KingAssLicker...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

trapt posted:

What happened to the thread about Ashley Madison? Still waiting for KingAssLicker...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2472443&pagenumber=138#post392096757

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

thehandtruck posted:

In Media Monkey, how can I ignore the "Album Artist"? A lot of my stuff is tagged poorly so some songs have the Album and Album Artist as different things so in the Artist and Album Artist column they show up twice which is really annoying.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. If you right click on the column headers (title, artist, album, year and so on), you can choose what properties to show. You can disable album artist this way. I guess you could also select your entire library, edit the tags and just put an empty to the album artist field.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
A bunch of friends are dressing up as batman villains for PAX this August, and I've been assigned Twoface. I figure that I can look at zombie make-up tutorials in order to get the face down, but I'm not quite sure how to approach the suit. I don't know anyone good enough to make something from scratch, and that sounds like way more effort than I'm willing to put in anyway, so that's out. I was thinking of getting a cheap suit from Salvation army, cutting it in half, bleaching/dying half of it, and then sewing it back together. (Not too sure on the specifics, here, though.)

Does this sound feasible? Will this just look like utter poo poo? Is there a better place to ask this question, like CC or DIY/Hobbies? I don't think this is a big enough deal to post my own thread; something like the Halloween megathread would be ideal, but that's still months out.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Gravity Pike posted:

Does this sound feasible? Will this just look like utter poo poo? Is there a better place to ask this question, like CC or DIY/Hobbies? I don't think this is a big enough deal to post my own thread; something like the Halloween megathread would be ideal, but that's still months out.

Why cut it in half? get a shallow basin that you can drape half the suit into and do it that way?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

What are some good free screen capture programs? Specifically, I'm looking for something that can capture the entire contents of a Java program window, even if that window is too big to be fully displayed at once. Another bonus is if I can easily take multiple screenshots without them overwriting each other, so I can sort through them later.

Any help would be appreciated!

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Eclipse12 posted:

What are some good free screen capture programs? Specifically, I'm looking for something that can capture the entire contents of a Java program window, even if that window is too big to be fully displayed at once. Another bonus is if I can easily take multiple screenshots without them overwriting each other, so I can sort through them later.

VirtualDub or DScaler. Read the posts on screen capture in Let's Play's Tech Support Fort thread. Suggestions for free and pay-for software and tips on how to use it and encode your video appropriately for web.

As for screenshots: IrfanView. You can assign a screencap hotkey and have the images named with a timestamp or numbering system of your choosing to prevent overlapping grabs.

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 30, 2011

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Gravity Pike posted:

A bunch of friends are dressing up as batman villains for PAX this August, and I've been assigned Twoface. I figure that I can look at zombie make-up tutorials in order to get the face down, but I'm not quite sure how to approach the suit. I don't know anyone good enough to make something from scratch, and that sounds like way more effort than I'm willing to put in anyway, so that's out. I was thinking of getting a cheap suit from Salvation army, cutting it in half, bleaching/dying half of it, and then sewing it back together. (Not too sure on the specifics, here, though.)

Trying to bleach one-half of it won't give you a crisp delineation between the two colors, since fabrics bleed, whether it's bleach or Rit dye, and it will look like poo poo. "Hai, guys, I bleached this myself!"

I'd buy two Salvation Army suits in your choice of contrasting colors and take the whole project to any halfway competent "Tailoring and alterations" person. Since the end result doesn't have to fit as such--s/he just has to whack it apart and then sew two halves together--it's a piece of cake. Some laundromats have someone attached to them who does this, if you can't find someone in the Yellow Pages. Or your grandma could do it.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

gwar3k1 posted:

VirtualDub or DScaler. Read the posts on screen capture in Let's Play's Tech Support Fort thread. Suggestions for free and pay-for software and tips on how to use it and encode your video appropriately for web.

As for screenshots: IrfanView. You can assign a screencap hotkey and have the images named with a timestamp or numbering system of your choosing to prevent overlapping grabs.

Thanks a bunch. I'll check those out.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I'm looking for a Sumo wrestler game. I'm not sure if it was an in-browser Java game or downloadable, but it was free. The "wrestlers" weren't human shaped. They were every abstract. When you knocked another player down, their body would either relax or completely stiffen and this would allow them to get back up. I think someone did the game as some sort of programming class project.

Edit: Nevermind, found it a couple seconds ago on Youtube. http://youtu.be/QMSiEtG7rng

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

Dont bleach it. It will turn out poo poo. Just buy two cheap suits of different colours and cut them in half and sew them back. At least if you gently caress up once you have another attempt or you could take it to a cheap alterations place and say "I dont care about the fit, just make them stay together"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I just had my car broken into. For the most part there wasn't anything valuable in there, I was just about to move down to a new apartment and ending up spending the night at a friend's when I wasn't expecting to. So I'm out some really old family speakers (nothing sentimental, they were just decent) and some fairly cheap glasswares, bowls, shotglasses, etc (I mean their quality isn't awful but I doubt they'd resell for much), and a gps. The gps was prolly the only thing worth taking and the thief got pretty lucky cause I normally take it in with me but happened to forget that night.

Regardless, assuming I don't care and am willing to let the gps go, everything else, the speakers, glassware, etc, isn't worth much and is moderately distinctive. Is there a good way to go about finding it or did it prolly just end up in a dumpster somewhere when they realized they wouldn't be able to fence it? IS this worth calling the cops over or will I just waste my time?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ArbitraryC posted:

IS this worth calling the cops over or will I just waste my time?

Yes. At most it wastes half an hour of your time filling out the report, and you have a better than zero chance of getting your stuff back if the crackhead involved tries to pawn it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Call the cops regardless. If nothing else, you might give them a lead on the guy, and keep him from breaking into someone else's car.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yes. At most it wastes half an hour of your time filling out the report, and you have a better than zero chance of getting your stuff back if the crackhead involved tries to pawn it.
I went ahead and reported it for the statistics if nothing else. Guy didn't sound too hopeful about my poo poo turning up, though he said the uniqueness of the speakers may make them easier to find.

He suggested I call local pawnshops and ask around, but I'm literally only in town for like 24 more hours (was visiting friends and family) so maybe I'll give it a shot but I'm not hopeful.

It's not a big loss, I'm just sad as some of the stuff had sentimental value and I'm also sad we don't have enough social safety nets to prevent someone from resorting to this kind of thing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It is generally good policy to get an identifier etched on anything you own worth stealing. A lot of police departments will do it for free, if not it isn't difficult or expensive to do it yourself. The vast majority of legal businesses that deal in second hand goods will actually read the "recently stolen poo poo" report the cops send them and make an effort to turn it in. Mostly because making a few bucks off some old speakers isn't worth the risk of losing their operating license. (Especially if they trade in guns. The ATF will seriously gently caress up their day over stolen goods)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is generally good policy to get an identifier etched on anything you own worth stealing. A lot of police departments will do it for free, if not it isn't difficult or expensive to do it yourself.
Nothing I had was worth stealing other than the gps which I almost always take inside. I'm pretty poor and most of the stuff in that car hadn't been in my possession for more than 12 hours, it was just overstock kitchen stuff from a family merger. My guess is they won't even end up selling most of it and it just ends up in a dump somewhere.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Did anyone brought up in front of the House Un-American Activities Committee just admit to being a Communist?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I bought a Logitech UltraX Premium USB keyboard today, and it's got an "open media player" shortcut key on it. How do I remap this key to open iTunes instead of Windows Media Player?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Fig Newton posted:

It's important to understand that what you've got there is a short-term novelty item, like a Chia pet, only with wheat. It's not designed for long-term planter duty, like a potted philodendron. The wheat itself is an annual (read: it flowers, set seeds, and dies in a single season, think of Kansas wheat fields) and will quickly outgrow the wee pot and the sparse nutrients in the bit of potting soil that came with the kit.

So, really, it doesn't matter a whole lot what you do to it; it's disposable to begin with. When the current batch has obviously run out of steam, you can dump it out, put in some fresh soil and the seeds of your choice and do it all over again.

This is the same idea behind the traditional practice of growing millet in little pots to provide greens for parakeets to nibble on.

I know, I just want to keep it as nice as I can for as long as I can. :3:

The long weekend killed some of the stalks, I think, but the rest is going strong. With a stone next to it from the Pacific Ocean (I'm in Iowa), it has the vague aesthetic of a zen garden.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TetsuoTW posted:

Did anyone brought up in front of the House Un-American Activities Committee just admit to being a Communist?

I'm fairly sure one or two did.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't know if people were asked about being Communists, per se, they were asked about being members of the Communist Party and other "left wing" organisations. Elia Kazan and Larry Parks are the most famous, although they admitted that they were members of CP for a few years, but were no longer members by the time they gave evidence. Writer Sidney Buchman and director Robert Rossen also copped to CP membership. Some professor types who admitted: Sophus Winther who named names, Maude Beal, Angelo Pellegrini, Harold Eby and Garland Ethel, and Melville Jacobs, who admitted CP membership but didn't name names.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there such a thing as a USB extension cable that actually works well? I've just thrown away my third one. The first two just provided a really sketchy connection and the third was so loose that whatever I plugged into it would just fall out after a while.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I'm not even sure what to Google for, so:

If I drop liquid with something dissolved in it (i.e. soda, fruit juice) on something like cloth or paper and let it dry, the stain usually winds up being darker near the edges of it than the center. What causes that phenomenon, and is there a name for it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Danger Mahoney posted:

Is there such a thing as a USB extension cable that actually works well? I've just thrown away my third one. The first two just provided a really sketchy connection and the third was so loose that whatever I plugged into it would just fall out after a while.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics--Male--Female-Extension-Meters/dp/B001TH7GUU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306873655&sr=8-2

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OneEightHundred posted:

If I drop liquid with something dissolved in it (i.e. soda, fruit juice) on something like cloth or paper and let it dry, the stain usually winds up being darker near the edges of it than the center. What causes that phenomenon, and is there a name for it?

I think the idea that different substances in a solvent can travel different distances on paper is paper chromatography. I'm not sure what would cause those molecules in the juice to want to travel to the edges of the liquid.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

I think the idea that different substances in a solvent can travel different distances on paper is paper chromatography. I'm not sure what would cause those molecules in the juice to want to travel to the edges of the liquid.

I'd guess that the reason is that most of the liquid evaporates on the edges which is why there's more leftover residue. This might happen because evaporation is strongest around the edges and through diffusion it gets replenished with more liquid.

Maybe.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

OneEightHundred posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_ring

"Writing in Nature, Robert D. Deegan of The University of Chicago and coworkers show that the pattern is due to capillary flow induced by the differential evaporation rates across the drop: liquid evaporating from the edge is replenished by liquid from the interior.[1]The resulting edgeward flow can carry nearly all the dispersed material to the edge."

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

I last used Afrin on Wednesday. When is it kosher to use it again? They say don't use it more than 3 days in a row, but don't say when it's safe to use again.

I'm afraid I don't have a specific answer for you, but good on you for reading the label. Rebound congestion loving sucks and is not something you want to take a chance on. I would suggest you go to or call a pharmacy; the pharmacist should be able to tell you for sure.

Eclipse12 posted:

Not sure if it will do everything you want, but Greenshot is free and utterly fantastic.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
How do I specify that I want my eggs somewhere in between medium and hard burnt? Do I follow the same naming system as when ordering a steak, for example? I just want my scrambled eggs to have a bit of brown, somewhat firm.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Dudebro posted:

How do I specify that I want my eggs somewhere in between medium and hard burnt? Do I follow the same naming system as when ordering a steak, for example? I just want my scrambled eggs to have a bit of brown, somewhat firm.

Just tell the waitstaff you want them "cooked hard, not runny". They probably won't have "brown" on them, as this is considered a culinary faux pas even in the greasiest of greasy spoons, but you can definitely get them to arrive "not runny".

My husband hates runny scrambled eggs, too, and this is what he tells the waitstaff.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
My cell phone keeps just completely powering off on it's own. I want to try to google it out myself, but I don't even know how to describe that problem in a way that will return anything useful.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Dudebro posted:

I would say "scrambled, well done." Never has failed me.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Eyeball posted:

My cell phone keeps just completely powering off on it's own. I want to try to google it out myself, but I don't even know how to describe that problem in a way that will return anything useful.

Try "cell phone turns itself off". I don't feel like reading through all the hits for you, but there's definitely a couple pages of advice and discussion out there. Add the model name and/or carrier to further refine your results.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks. That seems to be working better than what I was trying before.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
What kind of phone is it? My husband, mother and I all had Samsung Moments. They all, around the same time, started doing this, to the point that my mother and I replaced ours with Evos. My husband is still truckin' with his (much to his annoyance).

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
It's an Epic. But I don't really want to use this thread for tech support for my phone. It does seem to be a fairly common problem.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/43432-phone-turns-off-when-i-close-slider.html

First hit for "epic phone turns itself off."

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
Mine does this a lot if I nudge the battery too hard. This has happened on a few phones I've owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
With one of these electric toothbrushes, do I just brush normally or do I move it slowly and "buff" the teeth?

I would assume the latter normally, but it's got the back half that's non-moving and looks like half of a regular toothbrush.