Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thinkin about selling my bike :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

lancemantis posted:

Thinkin about selling my bike :raise:

Why?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Because having a sport biek in Nebraska looses its novelty after a while lol

Honestly I'd like to use it as a trade for another bike but I could also use some money for other things soon. I don't know if I'll do it though because its completely possible I'll be dumb and go get another one soon after doing it because I get impatient and because I hate selling sport bikes on craigslist here.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I'll buy the CBR :)

Go buy the Superduke

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Lol that's evil don't tempt me like that

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Slim Pickens posted:

A contourHD on a mic holder, kinda screwed into an angle adapter for a painting pole that I got at Home Depot. Works pretty well.

Would be cool if you could make a gyro out of it. Get a couple slip fittings and put a small amount of ballast on the bottom. Kinda like the Rossi buttcam.

like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-NR63-wYwg

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

lancemantis posted:

Lol that's evil don't tempt me like that

Evil? He sounds like a true and loyal friend to me. KTM for life.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I sold a TW200 for $900 in 2009 and now someone is trying to resell it for $1400 with "low miles" and does not appear to be aware/disclose that the speedo cluster was replaced so it does not have actual mileage. Figured the polite thing to do was to chime in and simply allow seller or buyers to contact me if they care enough to inquire for information.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688469

Fair way to handle it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

I sold a TW200 for $900 in 2009 and now someone is trying to resell it for $1400 with "low miles" and does not appear to be aware/disclose that the speedo cluster was replaced so it does not have actual mileage. Figured the polite thing to do was to chime in and simply allow seller or buyers to contact me if they care enough to inquire for information.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688469

Fair way to handle it?
Id out him but that's because I had a dealing in the past with him where he was a complete douche. He could not know but he's got enough experience buying and selling bikes that he should know better. Unless, of course, its not the same bike. If i were in your shoes I'd drop him a PM mentioning that if its your old bike the mileage is innaccurate and see what he does.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 29, 2011

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

After further review, I'm 100% certain it's my old bike. I would have left it at the buyer's discretion to contact me but since you say he's a douche...I sent a polite PM to him and copied the Flea Market moderators requesting that the ad be corrected.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 29, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It sucks when you firmly know that you don't want to ride the streets anymore, but you also know going track-only won't let you ride as much as you need to.

Can't just drop riding for a while because nothing else really compares.

:smith:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 29, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah man last time I ended up playing motorcycle racing arcade games instead of riding a real motorcycle...I just don't get the mentality.

Bayonne is only a hour away so that's not too bad. I just did a 320 mile day anyways and will probably do more of them so if you wanna meet up and do actual riding here's my info from the other thread.

Yeah I'll hit you up once my new lid comes in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

After further review, I'm 100% certain it's my old bike. I would have left it at the buyer's discretion to contact me but since you say he's a douche...I sent a polite PM to him and copied the Flea Market moderators requesting that the ad be corrected.

Figures that the bike is just no longer listed for sale. :rolleyes:

Was the title marked as mileage inaccurate?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 29, 2011

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Figures that the bike is just no longer listed for sale. :rolleyes:

Was the title marked as mileage inaccurate?

If I wasn't sleeping at the switch when I sold it, yes.

At least it's not listed on ADV anymore. It's a good bike so I could care less if he wants to unload it on craigslist.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

If I wasn't sleeping at the switch when I sold it, yes.

At least it's not listed on ADV anymore. It's a good bike so I could care less if he wants to unload it on craigslist.

Yeah...good looking out there.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Well, I finally went on my first ride on the streets!

In Alberta, there isn't a formal learner's permit for motorcycles - your standard Class 5 (car/truck) license allows you to ride a motorcycle as a learner as long as you're accompanied by a person who has their proper Class 6 (motorbike) license. I managed to borrow a Jialing JH125L from a friend, so that I could practise up for cheap before buying a full-powered, more expensive bike.

Before today, I had just puttered around my parking garage and the alley behind my apartment for practise. I've got my clutch, throttle and braking control to the point that I'm comfortable starting, stopping, turning tight circles and shifting. I had some free time this afternoon, so I convinced a buddy to go for a ride with me.

Before he arrived, I warmed up the bike and practised a bit in the garage, doing starts and stops and some slow speed maneuvers. I felt really confident, so I put on my gear and waited for him to show up. Once he got there my stomach was fluttering - I was pretty nervous. Was I overestimating my skills? Would riding on the road be too dangerous? I'm not the kind of person to shrivel up though, so when he arrived I rolled out and met him in the alley.

It was amazing. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone here how it felt, but it was fantastic. I've read a fair bit of CA so I knew what to expect but oh my God it felt great to be on the road, actually riding at speed. I started out slow and steady and eventually found that I was comfortable enough to get on a main artery road, and even one of our little twisties in town! I didn't get a knee down :haw:, but I was leaning the bike and it felt amazing. I had a huge grin under my helmet the whole time. We rode around town for awhile, then swung into a local park with a nice winding road. It turns out there was a kid's charity ride in there, so we stopped and looked at the bikes, rolled around with a lot of other riders and just had a nice relaxing day in the sun.

Overall, it was an hour on the road. I was having so much fun I didn't know what to do with myself. Even on a 125cc Chinese enduro, I couldn't get the grin off my face. I can't wait to get a full-sized bike.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

BlackMK4 posted:

It sucks when you firmly know that you don't want to ride the streets anymore, but you also know going track-only won't let you ride as much as you need to.

Can't just drop riding for a while because nothing else really compares.

:smith:

Dude, if I can t-bone a left turner and keep on riding with my wife's blessing then you can keep riding too. What happened to make you want to stay off the street?

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

DrakeriderCa posted:

Well, I finally went on my first ride on the streets!

In Alberta, there isn't a formal learner's permit for motorcycles - your standard Class 5 (car/truck) license allows you to ride a motorcycle as a learner as long as you're accompanied by a person who has their proper Class 6 (motorbike) license. I managed to borrow a Jialing JH125L from a friend, so that I could practise up for cheap before buying a full-powered, more expensive bike.

Before today, I had just puttered around my parking garage and the alley behind my apartment for practise. I've got my clutch, throttle and braking control to the point that I'm comfortable starting, stopping, turning tight circles and shifting. I had some free time this afternoon, so I convinced a buddy to go for a ride with me.

Before he arrived, I warmed up the bike and practised a bit in the garage, doing starts and stops and some slow speed maneuvers. I felt really confident, so I put on my gear and waited for him to show up. Once he got there my stomach was fluttering - I was pretty nervous. Was I overestimating my skills? Would riding on the road be too dangerous? I'm not the kind of person to shrivel up though, so when he arrived I rolled out and met him in the alley.

It was amazing. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone here how it felt, but it was fantastic. I've read a fair bit of CA so I knew what to expect but oh my God it felt great to be on the road, actually riding at speed. I started out slow and steady and eventually found that I was comfortable enough to get on a main artery road, and even one of our little twisties in town! I didn't get a knee down :haw:, but I was leaning the bike and it felt amazing. I had a huge grin under my helmet the whole time. We rode around town for awhile, then swung into a local park with a nice winding road. It turns out there was a kid's charity ride in there, so we stopped and looked at the bikes, rolled around with a lot of other riders and just had a nice relaxing day in the sun.

Overall, it was an hour on the road. I was having so much fun I didn't know what to do with myself. Even on a 125cc Chinese enduro, I couldn't get the grin off my face. I can't wait to get a full-sized bike.

This is awesome. Congrats. I spent 7 hours riding today :]. Installed a center stand, swapped my chain, cleaned sprockets, greased up things, and changed the oil this week. This week is the best week.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My friends keep picking up bikes for the summer, and they all keep making retarded choices. One bought an XS750, then tried to pull a U-turn in his driveway. Instead, the front brakes were completely hosed and wouldn't stopped the bike, but for some reason he kept on the throttle and plowed into a telephone pole 50 feet out of the driveway wearing zero gear. Another friend bought a goldwing for his first bike, then ate poo poo on the highway with no gear, getting scraped the gently caress up. And finally, one of my buddies is gonna do the smart thing and get a rebel 250 for his first bike after taking the MSF, but he insists on wearing a mushroom top helmet instead of a full face when he gets it.

Not as retarded(more gay disco), my cousin just bought a monster.

I posted on his wall he should put a unicorn sticker on it and create a scottoiler that dumps glitter into the exhaust so he leaves a cloud of glitter everywhere he goes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crayvex posted:

Dude, if I can t-bone a left turner and keep on riding with my wife's blessing then you can keep riding too. What happened to make you want to stay off the street?

I just moved back down to Phoenix and I can't get used to how people drive here, the risks just aren't worth it. That and the way that I really have fun while riding has no business being done on the streets where there is no runoff.

I don't want to be a statistic, seen it a few times now from feet away.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 30, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Not as retarded(more gay disco), my cousin just bought a monster.

I posted on his wall he should put a unicorn sticker on it and create a scottoiler that dumps glitter into the exhaust so he leaves a cloud of glitter everywhere he goes.

Your friends might suck but Id rock the poo poo out of that monster. That thing is awesome.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

darknrgy posted:

This is awesome. Congrats. I spent 7 hours riding today :]. Installed a center stand, swapped my chain, cleaned sprockets, greased up things, and changed the oil this week. This week is the best week.

Awesome. I love the feeling of accomplishing something.

This experience has also 100% verified my desire to get a Supermotard. The little enduro I was on definitely sold me on them. Now I know I'm not a cruiser guy or a sportbike guy (although trying out my buddy's R6 was a lot of fun, for what it's worth). DR-Z 400SM is happening for sure now.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

Your friends might suck but Id rock the poo poo out of that monster. That thing is awesome.

I would, too. I'd even consider trading tanks if he was gonna repaint it, but the other side has crash damage and huge dents in the tank. :( He apparently got a great deal on it, though.

It sems like the bike should constantly be playing Erasure's "Always" as it runs, instead of clutch rattle and exhaust noise.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I just moved back down to Phoenix and I can't get used to how people drive here, the risks just aren't worth it. That and the way that I really have fun while riding has no business being done on the streets where there is no runoff.

I don't want to be a statistic, seen it a few times now from feet away.

Take up dirt riding if you haven't already, I guess.

From the videos in the dirt thread, the south west has galaxies of accessible offroad that we'd kill for over here. We're pretty much limited to a few farm tracks, usually with wire strung across them at neck height and barbed wire slung into puddles by enraged locals who hate (legal, I hasten to add) dirt bikes.

Get a KX500 a lighting kit and a big ol' truck to haul it and go knock yourself out (figuratively and literally).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

I would, too. I'd even consider trading tanks if he was gonna repaint it, but the other side has crash damage and huge dents in the tank. :( He apparently got a great deal on it, though.

It sems like the bike should constantly be playing Erasure's "Always" as it runs, instead of clutch rattle and exhaust noise.

You need something that captures the modern gay man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2K2KpVYWI

The bassline is the exhaust pulses, percussion is the clutch. Acid melody line is the flexing of oiled up arms and chests.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Husky's making a naked based off of the F800 engine, punched out to 900ccs.

http://www.gizmag.com/husqvarna-900-streetbike/18732/

Could be awesome.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
As long as it doesn't look like those concepts I posted earlier :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Every render has looked awful, as well did their concept street vehicle. I tentatively await the real thing.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Update on the boomcam. I fixed issues like the elbow drooping down by drilling and making a set screw, marked angles, and bought a smaller backpack for $30 which works great. All in, I only spent around $60 on the whole setup. There's still an issue with the mic pole swiveling away from center, but otherwise it works beautifully. I even took it for a test ride in a nearby stadium parking lot and I'm in love with the results. Unfortunately, I haven't formatted the card for a while and it filled up halfway into my run. :doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ZDLyUbdFM

My favorite part is at around 1 minute in.

Once I figure a way to keep it centered, I'll test some more then finally take it for a ride down some nice roads.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 31, 2011

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Update on the boomcam. I fixed issues like the elbow drooping down by drilling and making a set screw, marked angles, and bought a smaller backpack for $30 which works great. All in, I only spent around $60 on the whole setup. There's still an issue with the mic pole swiveling away from center, but otherwise it works beautifully. I even took it for a test ride in a nearby stadium parking lot and I'm in love with the results. Unfortunately, I haven't formatted the card for a while and it filled up halfway into my run. :doh:

Once I figure a way to keep it centered, I'll test some more than finally take it for a ride down some nice roads.

that's really cool! There's probably some movie magic way of erasing the boom using editing software. That way you could tell people you used a camera drone!

actually... I wonder if it would be possible to rig an RC helicopter with sensors that track say 3 reflective dots on the bike in such a way that it always maintains a set distance and angle from the dots, and fix a camera to that...
it would cost more than $60 though.

edit- if there were some way of making a gradient reflector, where the center reflects %100 and for each micrometer away from center it reflects x% less, you could use an IR laser diode and set up a feedback loop where as the detector on the helicopter sees less light reflected, it steers it back to center.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 31, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slim Pickens posted:

Once I figure a way to keep it centered, I'll test some more then finally take it for a ride down some nice roads.

This is really cool, great results. I'd love to see some extreme riding with this, like stunting or a trackday.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

I really like how the angle changes when you lean forward. Super cool.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Looking pretty sweet so far, better than anything I've come up with when making up camera mounts.

To keep it centered it needs a solid base and a low cg, maybe find a way to make your body the base by securing it better or using the bike in some way? I was picturing a counterweight setup to keep it stable, coming off either side of the backpack and down, but that's getting too complex and it'd probably act weird in turns. I think your best bet is using your torso as the base of the stand and trying to secure it to you near your waist.

Edit: I thought you meant it was going side to side, since the video was shot off to the side a bit. Nevermind...

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 1, 2011

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit worried about anything with too much movement to keep the view centered, as it might end up with the camera hitting the ground or something during hard braking. The backpack uses a waist strap to try to keep it well anchored, and unless I run the setup under the jacket, that might be the best it'll get with this mounting solution. And since I might have just misunderstood you, when I said "keeping it centered", I was referring to the mic stand swiveling a bit, which you see me try to fix at 0:25 in the video. It might just take another set screw, but I'd prefer something a bit more adjustable.

I'm pondering a mount to the grab rails on the back seat facing forward, but that'll take a bit more work.

I'll be taking it for a spirited ride once I'm comfortable with it, possibly Mercer Island at 5 in the morning. :toot:

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
drat, Slim Pickens. I refrained from being critical of the idea even though I thought it would be a disaster. Instead you have a really interesting result with the boom deforming in ways that show the forces on the bike. Nice. Just be safe with the drat thing.
----
I changed my chain for the first time the other day. I was frustrated that I couldn't find a good youtube video just showing the drat process, so I made one. This will be super boring unless you want to know how to change your chain. Feedback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygJZuzjvIMY

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slim Pickens posted:

I'm a bit worried about anything with too much movement to keep the view centered, as it might end up with the camera hitting the ground or something during hard braking.

If it's wobbling more than you'd like, you could always string a tensioner (like a bowstring) to keep the boom permanently curved and under tension.

This would also allow you limited adjustment of the camera without taking the setup off by increasing or decreasing tension.

Sweet video, I want to make one now.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

I'll be taking it for a spirited ride once I'm comfortable with it, possibly Mercer Island at 5 in the morning. :toot:

Supermoto island!

Between the hours of 11 pm and 6 am, the jews stop driving and the island becomes a great strip of track.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Spiffness posted:

Supermoto island!

Between the hours of 11 pm and 6 am, the jews stop driving and the island becomes a great strip of track.

Good ol' West Mercer exit. During afternoons on nice days I always do a pass or two to check for cops before I have fun for an hour or so. Not the same on a cruiser though, too easy to scrape the foot pegs and that noise/feeling always makes me lose confidence.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Morphix posted:

Good ol' West Mercer exit. During afternoons on nice days I always do a pass or two to check for cops before I have fun for an hour or so. Not the same on a cruiser though, too easy to scrape the foot pegs and that noise/feeling always makes me lose confidence.

Nothing really is. It's like slalom courses in a van. It's fun to keep from tipping over for a little while, but then it's just exhausting.

People who soup up pickup trucks, and put a fin on the back :psyduck: the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Less exhausting, more boring; riding a cruiser is easy-mode. THAT SAID, after riding a Shadow 750 around for a few miles, I totally know why folks bag on cruisers: they haven't rode mine!

Edit for non-contrary content: I had a friend up from San Antonio last weekend and while I had him on my Vstar, I got to use the wife's R1150R while she was sick. That's a pretty fun bike to ride, with all the character and drama of a Miata :)

I noticed pretty quickly that if I blip the throttle with the clutch in, to rev match a downshift for example, the longitudinally-mounted R motor wants to torque over right. With that in mind, I played with right hairpins. Coordinating the turn with a quick downshift and a blip of the throttle did a pretty good job of assisting with the lean-in. The effect is way less pronounced with the bike in gear (crank is accelerating slower that way) so it doesn't really help straighten up following a left turn. Pretty fun stuff. Different bikes are different.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 31, 2011