Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Recommendation: leave W. T. Fits (Kintaro) as a rearguard and bumrush the Phoenix Hawk with everyone else. The Wyvern can move to 1007 and flank while the rest head towards the engine and fire on the Hawk's right front.

This sounds like a good plan to me. My orders are in :c00lbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

With the revelation that Kerensky lost and left the IS vowing revenge, even with my admittedly meager knowledge of BattleTech, this is very bad news. So the Clans are going to be doing a lot of scorched earth tactics all across the IS, not stopping when they get to Terra, aren't they? :ohdear:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

does the phawk move first? someone should charge its rear end... Let me put it this way, thanks to magboots it can't fall, so you might be able to SNAP IT LIKE A SLIMJIM if you hit it with something big.

:savage: (such a great loss too)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

does the phawk move first? someone should charge its rear end... Let me put it this way, thanks to magboots it can't fall, so you might be able to SNAP IT LIKE A SLIMJIM if you hit it with something big.

It's heavier than most of the player 'Mechs :ssh:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
That 'Phoenix Hawk' is going to be a bitch to whoever goes after it. W:5 is the magic number.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

AtomikKrab posted:

We don't have anything big

the clan mechs have the realistic weight advantage of all being generally heavier than ours (which is much better than having a few more light mediums)

edit: yeah I can't actually get around to hit C2 but I am continuing my strategic cowardice to hopefully live until it is dead and we have to deal with the double threat

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 30, 2011

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mr. Despair posted:

This sounds like a good plan to me. My orders are in :c00lbutt:

Ditto - let's mess target C2 up something bad.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

From earlier discussions, the early IS all sounded terribly feudal, where conflicts between Successor States were less battles between whole nations and more a dynastic kerfluffle minus the any claims to lineage legitimacy. As in, don't cause a ruckus and keep paying taxes and they'll just let you carry on. I would assume things were more like this in border systems, though. National identity and loyalty would be pretty strong in Luthien, Tharkad, or New Avalon I gather. On the other hand, most Clans probably wouldn't have that understanding I think and might treat their conquests a bit differently than the civilians were expecting, i.e. poorly.

This is... pretty true. The only places that are going to have really strong national identity are provincial capitals, ones ruled by people who have ties to the ruling dynasty, and the key (so, Hesperus II or Kathil, not Marduk) industrial worlds.

Everyone else, if you come in and take out the House forces garrisoning the place, will be more than happy to start paying you taxes instead, as long as you don't change ANYTHING.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Orders are in. Let's burn this bastard down as fast as we can before his buddies show up.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Thanks to the generosity of W.T. Fits, i've now got access to pms to coordinate this hopefully ASAP beating.

Glad to be driving such an anthropomorphic 'mech; it means the writeup of the carnage due to befall my poor Wyvern will sound even more horrific. Orders in.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Revenant Threshold posted:

Thanks to the generosity of W.T. Fits, i've now got access to pms to coordinate this hopefully ASAP beating.

Glad to be driving such an anthropomorphic 'mech; it means the writeup of the carnage due to befall my poor Wyvern will sound even more horrific. Orders in.

Yeah, the Wyvern really is an 'uncanny valley' design. It was intended to move as human-like as possible.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

5/6 on 1 the Hawk, shred it with those srms, then kick it to death for afters.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, but his regret in the normal timeline was passed down to his son; who exaggerated and blew it out of proportion and used it as a tool to give his Clans a 'greater goal' to strive for. In this timeline, his anger was exaggerated and blown out of proportion by his son who used it as a tool to give his Clans a common enemy to fear and dispise.

So wait...If that's the case, then what happened to Clan Wolverine?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Defiance Industries posted:

This is... pretty true. The only places that are going to have really strong national identity are provincial capitals, ones ruled by people who have ties to the ruling dynasty, and the key (so, Hesperus II or Kathil, not Marduk) industrial worlds.

Everyone else, if you come in and take out the House forces garrisoning the place, will be more than happy to start paying you taxes instead, as long as you don't change ANYTHING.

Marduk is an industrial world, though? Makes Griffins and Wolverines, and later the BHKU; Norse Battlemech Works/Victory Industries' plant there is one of the major ones, really.

Proserpina might be a better example of what you're going for.

EDIT: Oh lord. I just realized, there's really only two logical places the RWR forces could conceivably be in this timeline. Maybe an insane curveball could happen, but there's really only two that make any great degree of sense to me. And we've played as both of them so far.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 31, 2011

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

landcollector posted:

Well, this changes things. I think the IS might be in for pain. Instead of making a direct thrust towards Terra, the Clans are destroying all they come across (if I'm not mistaken about their intentions).

Doubtful. They're still the Clans, which means they still hate waste, and we saw on Somerset that at least one Clan is deliberately avoiding civilian casualties. Personally, I think this means they're going to be out for House members blood. This makes me worry for Ceaser Steiner though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Poptarts should give us a mission as the not named clan (Wolverine), altered timeline = maybe they show up for a little revenge.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

AtomikKrab posted:

Poptarts should give us a mission as the not named clan (Wolverine), altered timeline = maybe they show up for a little revenge.

Don't need the altered timeline for that. They were going for a lot of revenge and got the Jihad. Whoops.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

Doubtful. They're still the Clans, which means they still hate waste, and we saw on Somerset that at least one Clan is deliberately avoiding civilian casualties. Personally, I think this means they're going to be out for House members blood. This makes me worry for Ceaser Steiner though.

It does however explain the somewhat bemused reaction of the Star Colonel when she was informed that a Steiner would be excluded from the battle on Somerset.

But yeah Ceaser might just be in over his head now.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

It does however explain the somewhat bemused reaction of the Star Colonel when she was informed that a Steiner would be excluded from the battle on Somerset.

But yeah Ceaser might just be in over his head now.

It makes me wonder if Clan Steel Viper will do a Phelan Kell style mind screw on Caesar. After all, it would be delicious irony to brainwash a member of one of the Successor States houses into wanting to punish the IS, quiaff? (just a thought, I could be totally off base here. My knowledge/understanding of universe lore is incomplete at best.)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

landcollector posted:

It makes me wonder if Clan Steel Viper will do a Phelan Kell style mind screw on Caesar. After all, it would be delicious irony to brainwash a member of one of the Successor States houses into wanting to punish the IS, quiaff? (just a thought, I could be totally off base here. My knowledge/understanding of universe lore is incomplete at best.)

It would be a fine and noble thing to teach Caesar Steiner the error of his ways, and the blood guilt his family name bears. And if he happens to be mindfucked into giving as much of the LCAF disposition as he knows, well, that is a happy benefit to the kind and powerful Steel Viper clan.

edit: Actually, I am kind of sad at these revelations. In canon, the Clans did not have much going for them as an interesting group. Now, even the little bit they had- that they wanted to reunite the IS under the Star League's banner to clean up the Successor States' mess (at least in their own minds)- is gone, and they are even more cartoon-villain than they were in canon. Oh well. I will just clarify my support to be solely and exclusively pro-Steel Viper: The clan that still wants to work with the great houses to recreate the Star League. gently caress those other clans, they assholes.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 31, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mukaikubo posted:

edit: Actually, I am kind of sad at these revelations. In canon, the Clans did not have much going for them as an interesting group. Now, even the little bit they had- that they wanted to reunite the IS under the Star League's banner to clean up the Successor States' mess (at least in their own minds)- is gone, and they are even more cartoon-villain than they were in canon. Oh well. I will just clarify my support to be solely and exclusively pro-Steel Viper: The clan that still wants to work with the great houses to recreate the Star League. gently caress those other clans, they assholes.

Cardassian game master. Expect the unexpected, Mukai.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Fraction Jackson posted:

EDIT: Oh lord. I just realized, there's really only two logical places the RWR forces could conceivably be in this timeline. Maybe an insane curveball could happen, but there's really only two that make any great degree of sense to me. And we've played as both of them so far.

One of the guys in the current scenario should claim to have the last name "Amaris" just to see if it provokes a reaction.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fraction Jackson posted:

Marduk is an industrial world, though? Makes Griffins and Wolverines, and later the BHKU; Norse Battlemech Works/Victory Industries' plant there is one of the major ones, really.

Proserpina might be a better example of what you're going for.

Marduk is an industrial world, but it is not a key industrial world that a state builds their army on top of. This is because Marduk has changed hands in every war the FS and DC fight since the game started.

Marduk and worlds like it deliberately avoid cultivating ties to the regime because they trade hands pretty often.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Nope, they're still dead. One reversal was enough--this time, the Wolves were thorough which means no Minnisota Tribe.

Then again, the question is: after so much time, and at the hands of the Widowmakers, how much of Nicholas Kerensky's original vision for the Clans remains? I will say right now: every single Clan has their own goal, and every one of those goals is different.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope, they're still dead. One reversal was enough--this time, the Wolves were thorough which means no Minnisota Tribe.

Then again, the question is: after so much time, and at the hands of the Widowmakers, how much of Nicholas Kerensky's original vision for the Clans remains? I will say right now: every single Clan has their own goal, and every one of those goals is different.

So when does Hanse Davion trick them all into killing each other, House Kurita, and possibly Comstar? :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Out of curiosity I was reading up on Stefan Amaris on the Sarna wiki since apparently he had followers and a family and such, as brutal crackpot dictators go, and couldn't find much info about House Amaris beyond the fact that they tended to consist mostly of brutal crackpot dictators.

Also, Stefan Amaris looks really, really obviously painfully evil. Cartoonishly so.

I'm guessing the Star League backstory doesn't quite share the same interesting political shenanigans the Successor States are known for.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well just look at the guy.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

I'd totally let him garrison my Space Empire any day.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

SynthOrange posted:

This man is just a tricorn hat and a mainsail away from terrorizing the Spanish Main.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then there's this version. Less space-hobo, more spasian, and a rat-tail! v:v:v

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

This man is just a tricorn hat and a mainsail away from terrorizing the Spanish Main.

I was gonna say baseball cap, and stained overalls from changing my oil at jiffy-lube.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

bunnyofdoom posted:

I was gonna say baseball cap, and stained overalls from changing my oil at jiffy-lube.

Hrm... Could go either way. Or both.

Maybe Amaris is the mechanic who rose to topple an empire?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Marduk is an industrial world, but it is not a key industrial world that a state builds their army on top of. This is because Marduk has changed hands in every war the FS and DC fight since the game started.

Marduk and worlds like it deliberately avoid cultivating ties to the regime because they trade hands pretty often.

Well, they get attacked every war anyway. I think Marduk only officially changed hands once (in the 4th SW), although they were temporarily occupied a few other times. The FS tried to retake it in 3039 and during the Civil War when James Sandoval decided the civil war was boring and, you know, how about some good ol' anti-Drac nationalism? Apparently the answer to that question was "yes," and so...

I don't disagree with your major point though, I'm just wondering if Marduk is the best example, is all. But then, I also concede that trying to nitpick on this point is the height of useless nerdery and I'll stop after this.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fraction Jackson posted:

Well, they get attacked every war anyway. I think Marduk only officially changed hands once (in the 4th SW), although they were temporarily occupied a few other times. The FS tried to retake it in 3039 and during the Civil War when James Sandoval decided the civil war was boring and, you know, how about some good ol' anti-Drac nationalism? Apparently the answer to that question was "yes," and so...

I don't disagree with your major point though, I'm just wondering if Marduk is the best example, is all. But then, I also concede that trying to nitpick on this point is the height of useless nerdery and I'll stop after this.

Well, any planet whose plant is controlled by a multi-national like StarCorps or Earthwerks is a good example, too.

(Also Marduk changes hands at least once more in the future).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SynthOrange posted:

He was the villain from Pirates of Dark Water?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's really eerie seeing Amaris right next to Zaodai's avatar like that.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Took the words right out of my mouth. There really is an eerie similarity between the two that makes me shudder somewhat...

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/ DO IT...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 31, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Don't tempt me. I'm this close to getting it for him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hey now, Dong Zhou is a far better fat evil chinaman, even if he isn't from space.

(And if you do resort to that, could you at least find a better picture of him? I know old school Battletech artwork was poo poo, but that takes the cake.)

• Locked thread