Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

FitFortDanga posted:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah is amazing

What type of amazing? Amazingly bad or amazingly good? (Got a strange suspicion is not the good kind.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Electronico6 posted:

What type of amazing? Amazingly bad or amazingly good? (Got a strange suspicion is not the good kind.)

It's terrific in the way it embraces its eccentricity - a lot like House.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Spatula City posted:

2. Singin' in the Rain - I feel like I've seen half of it, but I can't recall how, when, or why. I love Gene Kelly, though, so I'm sure I'd love it.

Watch this before Clockwork Orange.

Woyzeck is the worst movie I seen so far in this thread. Which pains me to say, considering it's from Herzog. Only seen Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo and Bad Lieutenant, and I enjoyed them all, they certainly have this very uniqueness to them and strangeness that draws you in. But this one. Oh boy...It felt so long, even though it's almost 15 minutes shorter than Gojira(95 minutes!), and boring, very boring. Didn't have the same energy and brilliant shots to drew you into the story and it's madness, like the other Herzog movies I watched. It was just stale and static(Guess that's the point, but it makes for horrible.) nothing is happening, other than people ruminating on philosophy or whatever. After awhile I just mentally shut down the movie, and hoped it to end soon.

But(!) that scene, Woyzeck killing Marie, was absolutely brilliant. Kinski face, the slow motion, the music, the whole set, everything was just perfect and it was basically what I was expecting from Herzog. Doesn't quite save the movie though. :smith:
If I had to rate it it would be something like this: Climax Scene(10/10) Rest of Film(Just make it stop please!/10)

My shame list:

The Lady from Shanghai How silly is Welles accent?

Stray Dog Another Kurosawa Noir.

History of Violence This looks...interesting.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance Return of the western spot.

Strangers on a Train CSI did a remake of this episode of sorts. It was terrible.

Badlands Tree of Life is around the corner so why not.

The French Connection Only know the car chase scene.

The Night of the Hunter Don't know much about it, other than "It's a golden age classic".

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Love the TV show(Both the original and TNG) but never found the patience to watch the movies. Even the ones that are suppose to be good.

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies Martin Scorsese talks about cinema for 4 hours.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Electronico6, watch Badlands it is fantastic.

An Angel At My Table is a great film, although at times the awkwardness of the character bleeds too much into the actual film. There were moments that had a strong effect on me, but because of the way the film's often abrupt transitions it failed to keep me emotionally invested for any length of time. It was still enough to keep me interested, though, so the two and a half hours went by reasonably quickly and the lead performance is really great.

Updated list:

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Plein soleil Clément is another director from whom I've seen one magnificent film and never got around to watching any others.

Un homme et une femme Don't know much about this, a romance of some sort.

Muerte de un ciclista Been wanting to watch more Spanish films, this seems to be near the top of the list of the ones I haven't watched.

The Last Command Another silent I need to get around to.

O Lucky Man Probably would have seen this already if it wasn't 3 hours long.

The One-Armed Swordsman This seems like the next logical choice.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders Sounds interesting, need to see more Czech new wave.

Lagaan One of the big ones from contemporary Bollywood. Why is it 4 drat hours though?

Fat Girl From one fat girl Criterion to another.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

My Son, My Son, What Have You Done feels at time like a throwback to pre-Aguirre Herzog, and at other times like 80s-Lynch, but not as good as either. I really like the camerawork, there's some shots that move like the camera's dancing. The music is beautiful as well. The meat of it was hit or miss - I didn't like Chloe Sevigny's performance, but I loved Brad Dourif's. For every scene that worked, there was one that fell flat. I'm glad I finally watched it, but it's certainly mid-level Herzog.

Peaceful Anarchy, I think you'll really like Valerie and Her Week of Wonders.

New List:

Two Thousand Maniacs! Is this any good? I wasn't thrilled with Blood Feast.

New one: Our Town The 1977 version. I know a girl who's been on my rear end to read this play for years. I'm never gonna, but I might watch Ned Beatty do it.

Red Riding 1974 I can't decide if this looks very good or totally lovely.

Naked City Been watching, and ADORING, the TV show.

I Know Where I'm Going! Really gotta get to work on P&P.

The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

The Winning of Barbara Worth The last great silent western. I really oughta see this.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

penismightier posted:

New one: Our Town The 1977 version. I know a girl who's been on my rear end to read this play for years. I'm never gonna, but I might watch Ned Beatty do it.

The play is actually quite good and minimalistic. I haven't actually seen the film myself so I'll use you as my space monkey. If you like it, I'll go and see it as well.

My shame list is going to be a lot more newbish than most. Stick with me here.

1. Blade Runner

I have a feeling this is gonna be the first once people insist that I watch. I've just never really gotten around to it. I think I tried watching it when I was super young and it didn't grab me at all.

2. Aliens

I just don't really like James Cameron all that much. I don't know. I've heard tell that this is basically THE sci-fi action movie though, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

3. Apocalypse Now

Another important one that I've missed. I love FFC and I'm sure I'll dig this once I give it a shot. Along with the challenge to watch this however, I'll want a recommendation as to which version to watch.

4. Raging Bull

I've only recently began enjoying Scorsese's work. I'm still sorta lukewarm on De Niro. I loved him in Taxi Driver and Deer Hunter but I've been severely underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I've seen him in.

5. Yojimbo

I love Kurosawa, I have no excuse for not having seen this.

6. Cool Hand Luke

Out of everything on this list, this is probably the film I most want to see. My all time favorite movie is The Great Escape and I absolutely adore old war films so yeah... please suggest this :shobon:

7. Brazil

Terry Gilliam is a beast and I've heard nothing but good things about this film. I don't know much else about it and from what I understand, the less I know, the better. So if you pick this one, keep any description minimal.

8. The Bicycle Thief

Yeah yeah... I'm sorry world, I haven't seen it yet. I know, I'm a shitbag. Again, I've heard nothing but good things and I know it's a huge classic.

9. Deconstructing Harry

I love comedy and I haven't seen nearly enough Woody Allen flicks. Not exactly sure how or why I've missed the boat on his stuff, but yeah. Definitely need more Woody.

10. Vertigo

I must have started and stopped this film so many times. I've never even had much an issue with it, it's just one of those films where I start it, get interrupted while watching it, and never get back to it. I just have to start it up, lock my door and watch the drat thing already.

Chili fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 23, 2011

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Chili posted:

5. Yojimbo

I love Kurosawa, I have no excuse for not having seen this.

Yup, you get Yojimbo. One of Kurosawa's best...though that can be said of most of his films, heh.

Paths of Glory was a lot shorter than I was anticipating. I'm used to Kubrick's long, sweeping stories (I mean Barry Lyndon is long but I never felt its length). It seemed that Paths of Glory is more of a snapshot of war, a bitter and helpless snapshot that de-glamorizes duty and honour.

It is a very good movie, though I don't think I'll consider it as good as a lot of Kubrick's others but I think he got some of his best performances from his actors in this one compared to the stone faced displays later on. There is more emotion here, it might be Kubrick's most human film.

UPDATED LIST O SHAME:

1)Cronos – First blind buy blu-ray. Like Del Toro’s movies a ton, I even enjoyed Blade 2 more than the rest of the series (and I think I even saw it before I knew who Del Toro was). Excited for this.

2) Easy Rider - Rented it thrice and never found the time to watch. Not for lack of interest, just didn't happen.

3) The Lives of Others - Pretty recent but everyone and their dog seems to love this movie and I just haven't put forth the effort.

4) Black Narcissus – I have never seen a Powell/Pressburger joint.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6)Blow Out - Travolta + DePalma? I am skeptical though I hear it's a lot like The Conversation, which is probably my favourite Coppola.

7) City Lights – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) Hausu – Loved the criterion artwork for it and enjoy what little Japanese horror I have seen.

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Ratedargh posted:

Yup, you get Yojimbo. One of Kurosawa's best...though that can be said of most of his films, heh.

That works, especially cause it's streaming on Netflix, which I probably should have checked before making that list in the first place.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Chili posted:

That works, especially cause it's streaming on Netflix, which I probably should have checked before making that list in the first place.

When you get the opportunity I highly recommend getting your hands on the Yojimbo/Sanjuro boxset. It's fantastic as Criterion has a tendency to be. Once you watch it you'll want to have it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Ratedargh posted:

6)Blow Out - Travolta + DePalma? I am skeptical though I hear it's a lot like The Conversation, which is probably my favourite Coppola.

I think this is the fourth film in a row that I recommend to you.

As for Badlands, wow what an amazing movie. :suspense:
Should have watched this one first, instead of working Malick's catalog backwards. It convinced me of the man's brilliance. Off to re watch Days of Heaven and waiting for Thursday to come around to go watch Tree of Life.

My shame list:

Strangers on a Train CSI did a remake of this episode of sorts. It was terrible.

M*A*S*H Cheating here, as I watched this one, though at the wrong age.

The Night of the Hunter Don't know much about it, other than "It's a golden age classic".

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Love the TV show(Both the original and TNG) but never found the patience to watch the movies. Even the ones that are suppose to be good.

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies Martin Scorsese talks about cinema for 4 hours.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Paris, Texas - I went in without really knowing the story in this one, and it took about 30 minutes until I caught on, but what struck me quickly was the amazing cinematography the film has, it is stunning.
The first hour or so in I didn't really know what to think of the film, it felt a bit slow and dragging, but Harry Dean Stanton's character just made me feel completely attached to him and his progress with his son.
The latter half it felt like a long ride and had some of the most heart-wrenching and warming best scenes I have seen. Its score was great. 8/10

Electronico6 You will watch the brilliant, haunting film The Night Of The Hunter

1. 400 Blows
I bought this together with Diary of a Country Priest on Criterion but since I had not wanted to see The 400 Blows for as long as Country Priest, I never got around to it. Also, I have never seen French New Wave before.

2. Lolita
On my shelf I have every Kubrick movie which I was going to through chronologically (I have seen Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange and 2001 before), but when I got up to Lolita I just stopped. I have seen bits on TV but it looks so bland... I love Kubrick so I will give it a shot.

3. Hamnstad (Port of Call)
When I heard about Criterion's Eclipse series I was really excited about this since Ingmar Bergman is a person and director I hold in high respect, but I just stopped watching when I got to this. Also after I finish this box I will watch...

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
No real excuse here.

5. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse
More Fritz Lang. I think I have seen this mentioned here in the thread.

6. Le samourai
Have been interested in this for quite some time.

7. For a Few Dollars More
A Fistful of Dollars was great, so let's keep moving.

8. Tokyo Twilight
Tokyo Monogatari is a phenomenal film and sadly, the only Ozu I have seen.

9. Three Colours
Never seen a Kieselowski before but I know I should.

10. Mouchette
I have seen Diary of a Country Priest and Pickpocket and I love both of them. More Bresson!

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho, A Fistful of Dollars, Paris, Texas,

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

von Braun watch Kieslowski's Three Colours.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders sure was something different. It's not something I absolutely love, but I enjoyed it a lot, with its beautiful dreamlike imagery and mesmerizing mood.

Updated list:

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Plein soleil Clément is another director from whom I've seen one magnificent film and never got around to watching any others.

Un homme et une femme Don't know much about this, a romance of some sort.

Muerte de un ciclista Been wanting to watch more Spanish films, this seems to be near the top of the list of the ones I haven't watched.

The Last Command Another silent I need to get around to.

O Lucky Man Probably would have seen this already if it wasn't 3 hours long.

The One-Armed Swordsman This seems like the next logical choice.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders Sounds interesting, need to see more Czech new wave.

Lagaan One of the big ones from contemporary Bollywood. Why is it 4 drat hours though?

Fat Girl From one fat girl Criterion to another.

Riget Time to add another miniseries I haven't seen. All I know is it's made by Lars von Trier.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 ,
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Peaceful Anarchy, watch O Lucky Man. Saw it while browsing through the DVD section of my local library a while back, and wondered if it was any good.

When I was six or seven, I was watching PBS on a Friday night, and Brigadoon came on. The next Friday, Take Me Out to the Ballgame, and the next, Anchors Aweigh. It was magical. From then on, and to this day I still think of Gene Kelly as the very definition of coolness. REAL MEN TAP-DANCE. :colbert:
Which is a roundabout way of saying that there was no way I was not going to like Singin' in the Rain. I'm actually irritated at myself now for how long I've taken to see it. Young me would have appreciated this even more than old me. In most movie musicals, there's a certain artificiality to everything; I mean, people don't just burst into song randomly to express their feelings (THEY SHOULD, THOUGH). Singin' in the Rain confronts this head on by highlighting and celebrating the artificiality of musicals, and of cinema. And also HOLY gently caress THE COLORS. To be frank, I've still kind of got a contact high from watching it, so I'm pretty incoherent. 10/10

Anyway, the new list:
1. A Clockwork Orange - Own it, but have never watched it. I don't know why.
4. Apocalypse Now - I saw half of it on vacation when I was 12, and then my parents came back to the hotel room, and changed the channel, deeming it inappropriate entertainment for children. :smith:
7. The 39 Steps - I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, but somehow this is one of my few blindspots.
8. Eraserhead - I've loved the two David Lynch films I've seen (Mulholland Dr. and The Elephant Man), and it seems like this is essential Lynch.
10. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Because The Sting is awesome.
14. Wild Strawberries - I've had some trepidation about Bergman, but that all went away when this very thread got me to watch The Seventh Seal. So this seems to be the consensus of next-most accessible.
15. The Passion of Joan of Arc - Sunrise put me in the mood for silent movie acting, and reputation holds this as the pinnacle of the form.
16. City Lights - I have never seen any Chaplin. For some reason I've always thought it would be boring, though I have no evidence of this.
17. Stagecoach - I was initially skeptical of John Wayne's ability, and convinced I wouldn't like any of his movies, but after seeing The Searchers, Rio Bravo, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, I realized this was dumb.
18. Black Narcissus - The Powell and Pressburger films look intriguing, and I love Deborah Kerr, so why not?
Watched: The Seventh Seal (9.5) , Unforgiven (8.5/10), Pulp Fiction(7.75/10), This is Spinal Tap(7/10), 8 1/2 (8/10), Tokyo Story (9/10), The General (8/10), Reservoir Dogs (9/10), Paths of Glory 8.5/10, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (9/10), Battleship Potemkin (*/10), Jaws (9/10), Singin' in the Rain (10/10)

* - Unrateable

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Okiedoke, just finished Yojimbo. I liked it, didn’t love it though. It didn’t pack the same kind of punch that Seven Samurai did for me. The story just felt smaller, which is fine, but it kind of dragged on in parts. It was still really good, and I can’t remember hating a cinematic villain as much as I hated the dude with the gun. I’ll give it a 7.5/10

Spatula City posted:

10. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Because The Sting is awesome.

Because Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is also awesome. The chemistry between Redford and Newman is remarkable. The film is is just ridiculously entertaining and you'll definitely enjoy it.

Now for my new list.

1. Blade Runner

I have a feeling this is gonna be the first once people insist that I watch. I've just never really gotten around to it. I think I tried watching it when I was super young and it didn't grab me at all.

2. Aliens

I just don't really like James Cameron all that much. I don't know. I've heard tell that this is basically THE sci-fi action movie though, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

3. Apocalypse Now

Another important one that I've missed. I love FFC and I'm sure I'll dig this once I give it a shot. Along with the challenge to watch this however, I'll want a recommendation as to which version to watch.

4. Raging Bull

I've only recently began enjoying Scorsese's work. I'm still sorta lukewarm on De Niro. I loved him in Taxi Driver and Deer Hunter but I've been severely underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I've seen him in.

5. *NEW* 28 Days Later *NEW*

I've seen almost everything Danny Boyle has done, even the obscure poo poo like Shallow Grave. For whatever reason, I missed this one. Not opposed to zombie films or anything, so I'm definitely up for it.

6. Cool Hand Luke

Out of everything on this list, this is probably the film I most want to see. My all time favorite movie is The Great Escape and I absolutely adore old war films so yeah... please suggest this :shobon:

7. Brazil

Terry Gilliam is a beast and I've heard nothing but good things about this film. I don't know much else about it and from what I understand, the less I know, the better. So if you pick this one, keep any description minimal.

8. The Bicycle Thief

Yeah yeah... I'm sorry world, I haven't seen it yet. I know, I'm a shitbag. Again, I've heard nothing but good things and I know it's a huge classic.

9. Deconstructing Harry

I love comedy and I haven't seen nearly enough Woody Allen flicks. Not exactly sure how or why I've missed the boat on his stuff, but yeah. Definitely need more Woody.

10. Vertigo

I must have started and stopped this film so many times. I've never even had much an issue with it, it's just one of those films where I start it, get interrupted while watching it, and never get back to it. I just have to start it up, lock my door and watch the drat thing already.

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The only one of those I've seen myself recently enough to remember is Aliens, so I'll suggest that. My list.

1. Blade Runner - I've seen it when I was three, which was 20 years ago now and I barely remember it.

2. A Clockwork Orange - An old roommate's favorite movie. He watched it several times while I was living with him, but I never really caught more than maybe 15 minutes at once.

3. Gran Torino - I've been a big Eastwood fan for awhile, but I never got around to seeing this one.

4. The Night of The Hunter - I spent a few years of my childhood growing up in the town this takes place in, so I heard the movie mentioned a lot, but have never seen it myself.

5. Casablanca - Just could never really get into primarily romantic movies.

6. The Godfather Trilogy - I have no excuse for not getting around to watching these.

7. There Will Be Blood - I honestly don't even really know much about the movie.

8. No Country For Old Men - Same as above.

9. My Neighbor Totoro - Probably the only Miyazaki film I haven't seen, including the Lupin III he did before starting up Studio Ghibli or however that's spelled.

10. Resevoir Dogs - Probably the only Tarantino film I haven't seen.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

True Evil Bob posted:

1. Blade Runner - I've seen it when I was three, which was 20 years ago now and I barely remember it.
Take your pick from Director's Cut or Final Cut, I'm sure others have a stronger opinion, but those are regarded as the bet.

Well back after a while and have finally seen On the Waterfront. Very strong film all around with Brando stealing the show. I thought he did a fantastic job portraying the bum just trying to get through life and was faced with a decision that could make him a better man despite the dangers.

New List:

1. Annie Hall - Never seen a Woody Allen movie.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me by my father (I love a good action movie).

4. Slumdog Millionaire - Most recent best picture movie I haven't seen. If I can watch it I would finally be able to argue why Wall-E deserved it! I have heard great things about this movie.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

6. A Streetcar Named Desire - More Brando I haven't seen.

7. How to Train Your Dragon - Goon favorite. I guess I'm making this my animated slot.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Harvey - Know nothing other than it's another James Stewart movie that was well received. I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in so far.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

marioinblack posted:

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

It is.

Is it wrong that I wanted Robert Mitchum just to murder everyone? A bit conflicted about The Night of the Hunter. It tries to do a lot and when it works is amazing, but I also found that it fails a lot.
I felt bored of the movie when Mitchum's character vanishes for awhile. After that point in the movie it kinda feels that the whole thing changes and you watching a different movie, slightly connected to the rest of what you were watching previous.

Though the good parts are nothing short of brilliant. The cinematography is just amazing and gives off this nightmare quality to a lot the of scenes. Those shadows and strange sets, really amazing.

I guess the point that I'm trying to get is that I liked it a lot, but there were certain parts that rubbed me in the wrong way and I couldn't see past them.

My shame list:

M*A*S*H Cheating here, as I watched this one, though at the wrong age.

The Big Sleep It's the Bogart one.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

God, Our Town is just fantastic. What a beautiful play. This version is totally worth checking out - Ned Beatty and Ronny Cox kick rear end but Hal Holbrook just absolutely steals the show as the stage manager. It's got the same visual hook as Dogville, mega-minimalist, but obviously with a way better story.

Electronico6, M*A*S*H it up.

New List:

New one: Rapt Menilmontant kicked rear end so I guess it's worth giving another Kirsanoff a whirl.

The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

The Winning of Barbara Worth The last great silent western. I really oughta see this.

Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

penismightier posted:

I choose this.

I'll just spoiler the whole thing.

Diabolique - Certain aspects reminded me of pieces of Sleeping with the Enemy and Thelma and Louise. Of course this plot is much more direct and cynical at the beginning than either of those as they go straight for the jugular so-to-speak. That murder scene is on par with Psycho. I wasn't expecting the ending so it genuinely surprised me. I had been guessing that Nicole was trying to frame Christina. The actual ending was almost a little too unbelievable.

My one complaint would be that the detective does an "lol, gotcha!" right at the ending so abruptly. If they'd gone that far why didn't they just kill that old detective?

PS Is that guy listening to the radio to a 1950s French version of "Who wants to be a millionaire?"

I also see this just came out on blu-ray a few days ago.

IMDb list:

#112 The King's Speech - Now out on DVD. New best picture. I saw some clips of it on the Academy Awards show. 4/27/11

#129 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#167 Finding Nemo - Saw some of this on TV and it seemed decent. 4/2/11

#170 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

#171 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#172 The Best Years of Our Lives - One of 25 films to win 7+ Oscars. 4/23/11

The Bourne Identity - Technically not on the top 250 but I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #173). 4/7/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#185 My Neighbor Totoro - Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away were both remarkable so my expectations are high. 5/21/11

new #186 Judgment at Nuremberg - Vaguely remember hearing of it but never got around to it. 5/25/11

Electronico6 posted:

What other Godzilla movies are worth checking out?

Son of Godzilla is a good movie for kids.
Godzilla vs. Megalon has some funny moments as well.
I also liked one of the Mechagodzilla ones. I can't remember which though.
I should make a Godzilla slot so people can force me to watch all of them.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 26, 2011

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

#185 My Neighbor Totoro - Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away were both remarkable so my expectations are high. 5/21/11

Your expectations shall be met! It is truly a wonderful film, I watched it for the first time a year or two ago and it seriously made me feel like a little kid. It just oozes with happiness.

So I just watched Aliens... it was ok. It obviously looked really pretty and I'll say that I found the aliens themselves more convincing than almost any of the current CGI crap out nowadays. Weaver really does a good job, but her becoming the hero after being all paranoid and worried felt simultaneously contrived and predictable. All in all, it was enjoyable but I doubt I'll ever really think too much about it or come back to it again.

6.5/10

My New List:

1. Blade Runner

2. *NEW* Dr. Strangelove *NEW*

I know it's kind of a big deal that I haven't seen this but I can sort of justify it as just never really finding Kubrick all that accessible. Also, this is another one of those movies that I watched in my childhood and didn't really take to.

3. Apocalypse Now

4. Raging Bull

5. 28 Days Later

I've seen almost everything Danny Boyle has done, even the obscure poo poo like Shallow Grave. For whatever reason, I missed this one. Not opposed to zombie films or anything, so I'm definitely up for it.

6. Cool Hand Luke

7. Brazil

8. The Bicycle Thief

9. Deconstructing Harry

10. Vertigo

I must have started and stopped this film so many times. I've never even had much an issue with it, it's just one of those films where I start it, get interrupted while watching it, and never get back to it. I just have to start it up, lock my door, and watch the drat thing already.

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10

Chili fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 26, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
On The Waterfront isn't really my kind of film. It's good, I just had a hard time really getting invested in the plot. The last thirty minutes were fairly gripping (the moment when Edie runs down the alley towards Terry and the truck appears in the distance behind her is probably worth the entire movie) but I can't really claim to have loved it on the whole.

6/10

Also I saw Through A Glass Darkly like forever ago and totally forgot. It's very good, very organic and dark in a satisfying sort of way. So much of the film is simply about the way the characters live and in a way it's very beautiful, very human. It's a film unlike any other that I think I've seen. It comes from the ether, unpretentious and alive. I felt like I could touch it and many of the film's images are retained vividly in my mind.

10/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) The Straight Story - The only Lynch film I haven't seen.

3) All About Eve - Well, Netflix doesn't have the Blu-Ray, but it's next on TSPDT and I've heard good things.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

5) Lawrence Of Arabia - I was going to wait for the Blu-Ray but everyone's been loving it in this thread, so what the hell.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) Dial M For Murder - Well, heck, let's make this the Hitchcock spot.

10) Winter Light - Part two of a not-really Bergman trilogy.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10 (total: 32)

Wow, Chili, that's an awesome list. I'll give you Brazil because it's a personal favorite.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 26, 2011

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Magic Hate Ball: Watch The Straight Story next since it's the last Lynch film left for you.

Just finished Blade Runner. It was certainly really good, but the pacing was slower than I expected out of a sci-fi movie with Harrison Ford in it.

9.0 Right now, but I have the feeling I'll be saying 9.5 at least after rewatching it later.

1. A Clockwork Orange - An old roommate's favorite movie. He watched it several times while I was living with him, but I never really caught more than maybe 15 minutes at once.

2. Gran Torino - I've been a big Eastwood fan for awhile, but I never got around to seeing this one.

3. The Night of The Hunter - I spent a few years of my childhood growing up in the town this takes place in, so I heard the movie mentioned a lot, but have never seen it myself.

4. Casablanca - Just could never really get into primarily romantic movies.

5. The Godfather Trilogy - I have no excuse for not getting around to watching these.

6. There Will Be Blood - I honestly don't even really know much about the movie.

7. No Country For Old Men - Same as above.

8. My Neighbor Totoro - Probably the only Miyazaki film I haven't seen, including the Lupin III he did before starting up Studio Ghibli or however that's spelled.

9. Resevoir Dogs - Probably the only Tarantino film I haven't seen.

10. How To Train Your Dragon - *New* - Might as well have a second animated film on here.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

True Evil Bob posted:

3. The Night of The Hunter - I spent a few years of my childhood growing up in the town this takes place in, so I heard the movie mentioned a lot, but have never seen it myself.

Watch this. Mitchum is so good in this.

Blow Out is far better than I would have expected. The tone is pitch perfect (sound pun!) and it's pulpy entertainment with an intense style that I don't see in many movies now. Wow to that ending. The whole thing moves at a great pace but the first half and the very end kick it up a notch for me.

UPDATED LIST O SHAME:

1) Cronos – First blind buy blu-ray. Like Del Toro’s movies a ton, I even enjoyed Blade 2 more than the rest of the series (and I think I even saw it before I knew who Del Toro was). Excited for this.

2) Easy Rider - Rented it thrice and never found the time to watch. Not for lack of interest, just didn't happen.

3) The Lives of Others - Pretty recent but everyone and their dog seems to love this movie and I just haven't put forth the effort.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6)127 Hours – Only BP nominee from this past year I haven’t seen.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) Hausu – Loved the criterion artwork for it and enjoy what little Japanese horror I have seen.

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

Shame be gone:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Ratedargh posted:

1)Cronos – First blind buy blu-ray. Like Del Toro’s movies a ton, I even enjoyed Blade 2 more than the rest of the series (and I think I even saw it before I knew who Del Toro was). Excited for this.

This makes the fifth movie I recommend to you in a row. Hopefully I won't let you down!

MASH was okay. I watched it ages ago with my mother, probably had 10 or 11 years, easy to say the actual message and most of the situations requires someone to be, well more older and more aware of certain issues. Now I understand much better the movie, but still don't find it all that good.
Though I'm happy that I rewatched it. I felt that I owned the movie at least that.

Also seen The Lady From Shanghai by faith's chance. It was an extremely bizarre movie. I enjoyed cause in the middle of the weird madness, it manages to become something quite unique and delightful to watch. And that accent is gotta be heard to be believed.

My shame list:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre Is this a Western?

L.A. Confidential Big expectations for this one.

The Big Sleep It's the Bogart one.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

This makes the fifth movie I recommend to you in a row. Hopefully I won't let you down!

So far so good! But if you do... :argh:

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

All right Electronico, you got lucky again because Cronos was a lot of fun. It's campy and silly but I got sucked in by the atmosphere and the mythos behind the device. For a first feature it's certainly an achievement. I think you kind of have to be open to this kind of genre piece to really like it because I've read a lot of responses on mubi about it and how they feel it has no business in the Criterion Collection. I like Del Toro, and while I think Pan's Labyrinth is his masterpiece thus far, this along with Devil's Backbone are almost as good. Terrific companion pieces too.

"Not my nose again!"

Oh and while we're at it you get The Big Sleep. It's a fun Bogart detective flick. I also recommend reading some Raymond Chandler if you end up enjoying it.

Updated List O Shame:
1)Cars - Only Pixar movie I have yet to see.

6)127 Hours – Only BP nominee from this past year I haven’t seen.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

Shame Be Gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Ratedargh posted:

yessssssssssss

It's a Wonderful Life - Stewart really carries this movie. With anyone else as George Bailey, I don't think I would have liked it. But Stewart perfectly nails every emotion and feeling a human could possibly have. The ending never gets old.

1. It's a Wonderful Life Persona - Not a clue of what it's about.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. Some Like it Hot - Wilder is pretty great.

4. The Night of the Hunter - Actually had this for a week but never got around to watching it for some reason. :zombie: Has been on list the longest. :zombie:

5. Rio Bravo - John Wayne seemed like he was a real rear end in a top hat. Maybe I'll enjoy some of his films anyway.

6. The Graduate - I can't really get excited to watch this for some reason.

7. The Rules of the Game - Ranked as one of the very best movies of all time, I think it's a about class warfare or something. Ooooh, a war movie!

8. Schindler's List - I never go out of my way to watch Holocaust related things anymore. It's just too drat depressing.

9. Days of Heaven - It's just this and The New World now.

10. Le Samouraï - This sounds...interesting.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 96, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75

Atheistdeals.com fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 27, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Atheistdeals, Days of Heaven. Try to watch it in the highest definition possible

I would put Les Diaboliques up against any of Hitchcock's thrillers. I didn't see the twist coming and Paul Meurisse was perfectly menacing and overbearing. After this and Wages of Fear, I'm excited to watch some more Clouzot to see how it stacks up.

1) Carrie- still working through the horror list
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Metropolis- it's time I saw this
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) It's A Wonderful Life- always avoided it because I thought it seemed cheesy, but I keep hearing good things
6) Lady Vengeance- hear this is better than Old Boy
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) Sherlock Jr.- let's keep the Keaton going
10) The Furies- I want to knock some Mann off my list before I watch The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Winning of Barbara Worth is quite beautiful. The story never grabbed me all the way, but Gary Cooper's great and easy turn, and the truly stunning scenery made it worth my while.

Mistletoe Donkey, The Furies is so goddamn good.

New List:

Rapt Menilmontant kicked rear end so I guess it's worth giving another Kirsanoff a whirl.

New one: Grand Hotel I got nothin'.

Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

penismightier posted:

Hopefully it will look good.

I enjoyed a lot The Big Sleep. The atmosphere and Hanks direction really makes it something, but then you have this amazing performance by Bogart, which made the whole thing better.
As for the mystery and story well, it was all a bit "What the hell is going on?". There was some blackmail and some guy who disappeared with someone else's wife, then there was a murder of the guy who was blackmailing the other guy... Not to mention that the characters seem to take guesses at what's going on, and don't say anything to the audience. After some point I just stopped trying to follow it closely and just enjoy the noir feeling and Bogey being awesome all the time.

Maybe I'll get around to read the book.

My shame list:

History of Violence This looks interesting.

Bonnie and Clyde Been avoiding watching this for some reason.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Electronico, A History of Violence is a very good movie.

Well, I just blew a giant hole in my list. In addition to Mad Max I also knocked off Bowling For Columbine, The Virgin Spring, and Wild At Heart.

Bowling For Columbine: I was rather surprised. The film was much more mature than some of Moore's other work. He tastefully handled several major tragedies and drat, those montage sequences (The ones set to Happiness Is A Warm Gun and It's A Wonderful World respectively) were fantastic. While it benefited Sicko, some of his attempts at humor bogged the film down a little bit. The cartoon segment "A Brief History of America" really was not that funny and was incredibly distracting. I feel he made a really strong point though, and while people complain about his bias, there's a lot of info in this film that's just plain true. Also Charlton Heston is a dick.

The Virgin Spring: I've yet to be disappointed by Bergman. Although it wasn't the strongest work of his I've seen, it was still damned good. The character development really shines through here, on everyone's part. Other than the random family members every character feels like a full human being and are magnificently acted. The final scene really drives the rest of the film home.

Wild At Heart: This one had the potential to be a masterpiece, and it's still a great movie, I loved it, but it's bogged down a bit. It actually feels like there's a coherent story that keeps getting interrupted by the Lynchiness of it. I feel that in comparison to Blue Velvet, that film had a much more approachable flow where the weirdness arises momentarily and adds to the film while still being grounded in reality. Wild At Heart in contrast is constantly having that Lynchiness shoved in. Some of the Wizard of Oz references as well were a little too shoehammered in. Now, I seem to be trashing the film but in reality, I still loved it. Cage and Dern both delivered some of the best performances of their careers. The film looks fantastic and plenty of Lynch's nightmare style works great. I laughed hysterically at Sailor's description of his jacket and the movie is surprisingly rather fun.

Mad Max: I was taken aback by how amazing the cinematography was. The film looks fantastic, and during the opening chase scene, has an almost fluid like flow to it. I was expecting something a bit more nihilistic and post-apocalyptic but what I got was just as enjoyable. The story felt disjointed at times, but I can forgive it's flaws for being just an all around good action movie. I guess I should see The Road Warrior now.

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#62 Enter The Dragon - Just realized I haven't seen this. Probably should.

#64 Man Bites Dog - I hear this is really, really violent. Am I gonna regret putting this here?

#65 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Promised a friend I'd watch this eventually. This is the first one in the series, right?

#66 The Conversation - This is supposed to be right after Apocalypse Now and The Godfather for Coppola's best so let's have at it.

#67 Aliens - Forgot I haven't seen it. Update: Now going to just prepare for a completely different movie.

#68 Metropolis - Probably about time I watch this.

#69 Man On Wire - Been meaning to watch this for a good while.

#70 Peeping Tom - This looks cool.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless, Saving Private Ryan, Network, Persona, Mean Streets, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, The Rules Of The Game, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Killing, Punch-Drunk Love, Rebecca, La Strada, Bowling For Columbine, The Virgin Spring, Wild At Heart, Mad Max

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 30, 2011

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
TrixRabbi, you get Enter The Dragon. And go watch The Road Warrior! Get the disc; Netflix Instant's version is fullscreen. You will be amazed at how Mel Gibson can star in such awesome movies whilst being a racist pile of poo poo in real life.

I just finished The Natural and I completely loved it. It's pure 4th of July Americana. The villains were one-dimensional mustache-twirlers (except Harriet, who I thought was under-explained in her motivations), but since they're portrayed by very good actors and frankly they exist only to set up Moments of Robert Redford Greatness, I didn't mind. The final climax had a setup and execution you could see coming a mile away, but it was so well done I didn't even care. It's hard not to get choked up at the debut of the Savoy Special or the very last shot of the film. The only thing that makes me sad about the movie is that the Blu-Ray version's picture quality brings out some continuity errors.

I particularly loved the way the film handled Redford's character. The first act was essentially a Western jumped a few years into the future. He's a stranger with no name, and he's easily identifiable since he has that distinctive blond hair, he never smokes and drinks only twice, and he's one of the few lefties. Indeed, that heightens the climax when his most direct competition looks like a younger version of him, right down to the hair, dominant hand, and pitching talent. I love the 80s-ness of the film, by which I mean the old-school special effects (that lightning-tree effect is endearing in a way CGI could never capture) and the acting. Redford and Close were able to make themselves look the right ages not by makeup but mannerisms. Overall, this film has everything I think newer filmmakers need to make a conscious effort not to lose in today's age of CGI and 3D.

I also watched Tampopo, which I loved. Although I couldn't really get a lock on what the movie was trying to say beyond extolling the power of food to transform and bring people together, I had so much fun with the movie that I didn't care. Tsutomu Yamazaki looks strikingly like Harrison Ford or Charles Bronson, and he single-handedly upholds the "Western" part of this "noodle Western." The movie did its mini-vignettes in a much better way than other movies that rely on such things, like Slacker. Nobuko Miyamoto is incredibly charming as the good-hearted title character.

The fourth-wall-breaking yakuza gangster and his mistress leave a good impression as well; I could tell I was going to dig this movie when the very first thing he did was break the fourth wall. I loved the Chaplin rice omelet tribute. Most importantly, this movie taught me a lot about making ramen, and I'm definitely looking forward to applying the lessons as soon as I can!

I also watched The White Ribbon, and I feel shallow saying this, but I hated this movie. I'll be the first to admit that I have some bias against small-town period pieces—and I'll be the first to admit that the problem is probably more me than the movie itself—but this in particular was a long, boring black hole of depression. I also felt that, by revealing so little, Haneke was undercutting his own point about child abuse and the horrors it can lead to. The sudden transitions between characters was disorienting and the romantic subplot was distractingly incongruous with the disturbing nature of the rest of the work.

I also watched Caro Diario, which I really liked. I'd never seen a Moretti film before, but he tells interesting stories. It was very difficult for me to keep focused on the film, though. I think it's because the three stories are strung together by repetition: Vespa rides, then ferry rides, then pharmacy visits. Also, the third episode is so completely at odds with the tone of the first two that it threw me a bit. Still, Moretti has Fellini's eye for the beauty of Italy, and while I don't think he's quite as good a storyteller, it's still two light-hearted chapters exploring the beauty of Italy, followed by a third chapter that's not so lighthearted, but certainly makes valid points about medical practices old and new. Also, this shot is even funnier in context…

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White; Red; Primer; Schindler's List; Network; Beverly Hills Cop; Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song; A Night at the Opera; Celine and Julie Go Boating; Night of the Living Dead; Chinatown; Carlito's Way; Requiem for a Dream; The Holy Mountain; Strange Days; Kramer vs. Kramer; When Harry Met Sally…; Irréversible; Tampopo; The White Ribbon; Caro Diario; The Natural

Das Boot: I've seen just enough of this to know it's a lot better than it sounds. Jürgen Prochnow is so, so awesome.
Fish Tank: (2009) I do not know a thing about this movie except that everyone who sees it apparently thinks really, really hard about it afterward.
Kiss of the Spider Woman: Julia Carpenter's such a badass! I'm so excited about seeing this movie where Spider-Woman takes on such foes as Doc Ock and… This isn't what I think it is, is it?
Mishima: Pretty to look at, directed by the guy who wrote Taxi Driver, and insanely controversial in the country where it's set. Not a hard sell for me.
Mon Oncle: I watched M. Hulot's Holiday recently and I greatly enjoyed it. I haven't seen anything else with Hulot and I'm pretty inexperienced with films about uncles.
My Left Foot: Coming to Netflix Instant very soon, and I only know Day-Lewis from his mustache roles.
Raise the Red Lantern: Randomly-picked movie that coincides with my interest in Chinese cinema.
Rosemary's Baby: I rented this recently and accidentally autobought it. Since now I own it, I may as well watch it sometime.
Splendor in the Grass: I have seen zero films by America's Tattletale, Elia Kazan.
Uzak: I've never seen a Turkish film.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

CloseFriend posted:

Rosemary's Baby: I rented this recently and accidentally autobought it. Since now I own it, I may as well watch it sometime.

This is a great movie and as long as you already have it you might as well check it out.

Finally checked out I am a Fugitive on a Chain Gang. This movie captures the post-war to Depression era woes pretty well, and in no small part due to Paul Muni, whose transformation from idealistic everyman to hopeless fugitive is heartbreaking. Hearily recommended.

Also got tired of waiting around and watched Prizzi's Honor. Very good movie, smart send-up of the mafia pictures of the time without seeming too jokey, good work from Jack Nicholson and Kathleen Turner, but William Hickey and Angelica Huston completely steal it. Hickey's raspy deliveries had my chuckling throughout, and Huston is completely believable as a daughter manipulating her mobster relatives and as someone who's going to manipulate Jack Nicholson for years to come. Also: kind of funny to see Nicholson playing someone who just isn't really very bright.

Updated list:

1. Anything by Abbas Kiarostami- I haven’t seen any of his films, but all this talk about Certified Copy has me curious.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. 1930s: 42nd Street- I will watch a musical in this thread if it kills me.

4. 1940s: Mildred Pierce- I loved Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood, couldn’t stand Yankee Doodle Dandy, and feel that I need to see more Michael Curtiz. How about this supposed masterpiece that Todd Haynes is remaking for HBO with Kate Winslet. Also: I’ve never seen a Joan Crawford film.

5. 1950s: The Bad and the Beautiful- Another cynical melodrama about showbiz? Sounds good.

6. 1960s: The Umbrellas of Cherbourgh- Love musicals, so why not check out a French New Wave one?

7. 1970s: Cabaret/All That Jazz- I’ve heard that Fosse made some pretty good musicals. I like me some musicals.

8. 1980s: Melvin and Howard- I love Jonathan Demme. I’ve heard this might be his best film.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Talk to Her- I’ve only seen one of Almodovar’s films, Volver, and I liked that very much. I’ve heard universally terrific things about this one.

Finally seen: The Searchers (A), Pather Panchali (B+), The Sting (A-), Ran (A), The Great Dictator (A-), Fitzcarraldo (A), Badlands (A), Time Bandits (A-), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (A), The Apartment (A), The Last Waltz (A-), City Lights (A), Modern Times (A), Broken Blossoms (B), The Gold Rush (A-), The General (A-), Grave of the Fireflies (A), Red River (A), Koyaanisqatsi (B), American Graffiti (A), The Kingdom (B), Adventures of Robin Hood (A-), La Dolce Vita (A), Sherlock Jr. (B+), Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (A-), In the Mood for Love (A-), Hoop Dreams (A), Swimming to Cambodia (A-), The Purple Rose of Cairo (A), The Right Stuff (A), Orpheus (B+), The Manchurian Candidate (A-), Little Caesar (B+), The Battle of Algiers (A-), Yi Yi (A), Shane (A), All About Eve (B-), Cries and Whispers (A), Prizzi’s Honor (B+), I am a Fugitive on a Chain Gang (A-)

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

meanmikhail posted:

3. 1930s: 42nd Street- I will watch a musical in this thread if it kills me.

It just might.

So I finally after what was several months got around to watching Schindler's List, and was pleasantly surprised by the sheer quality. It was similiar to Shawshank in that it didn't really shine in any particular department, but instead was brilliant all around. It was also a touching movie but not in the way that holocaust movies usually are. Due to it's runtime and heavy subject matter I'm glad to have watched it as I did, by myself and with some brandy. Also possibly my favourite piece of Liam Neeson yet. 9.0

On to a new and slightly tidier iteration of my list.

#5. Citizen Kane This is a movie I've almost watched like 5 times, the first times I just couldn't find a copy anywhere but as of late have been spoiled abit and don't want to finish watching another hailed classic with a reaction of "meh". Last remaining entry of my original list.

#8. Ran Despite liking Kurosawa's B/Ws, this movie has always flown under my radar.

#9. Rain Man For the longest time I thought I'd seen it, turns out I had it mixed up with another movie.

#10. Psycho That's right, I haven't seen Psycho. The original was before my time and before I'd even seen it, the slasher genre had become my least favourite form of horror, the lowest common denominator, the one thing that bores the poo poo out of me beyond any other among all cinema, if you can even call it that. Can I watch the movie which basically ruined what feels like half of the entire horror genre? Should I even? You decide.

#11. Amélie A movie about a french girl which is supposedly very sweet. Oh boy.

No longer shameful: The Shawshank Redemption (9.0); The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (9.5); 12 Angry Men (8.5); Apocalypse Now (7.0); Singin' in the Rain (9.0); Schindler's List (9.0)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
drat, I was hoping to finish mine before somebody could give meanmikhail his next movie. Really wanted to give him All That Jazz.

Hra Mormo, you get Psycho. It really isn't a slasher film and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

--------

Paths Of Glory. I don't know if I was in a bad mood or what but this one didn't impress me at all. The whole thing felt extremely heavy handed and it reminded me of Lolita. An idea that was attempted before its time, before it could truly be given the treatment it deserved. Honestly, the only reason I didn't fall asleep during this like I did during Spartacus multiple times is because the runtime was short. It wasn't all bad. I thought it was interesting to see two things that were used in his later movies (Col. Dax walking through the trenches reminded me of The Shining maze and the ballroom scene reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut). I also thought he did good with the charge scene (hard to believe they set off explosions so close to the actors). Gave it a 69/100 on Criticker.

--------

My list:

The Seven Samurai: I rented this one from Blockbuster Online a few years ago. Tried to watch it at 3 in the morning and fell asleep. Thought the picture looked lovely and I decided to wait for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray instead of holding up one of my BBO slots to watch the movie later.

The Great Dictator: I guess I'll make this my Charlie Chaplin slot until I run through the movies I have of his.

8 1/2: Mix the reasons for The Seven Samurai/The Seventh Seal (It sounds lovely but "deep" movies tend to intimidate me before I force myself to sit through them.) together and you'll have the reason why I haven't watched 8 1/2 yet.

Back To The Future: I think I seen part of 2 on tv (is that the one with the hoverboard scene?) but I have never felt the need to track this down.

*NEW* Midnight Cowboy: I don't know much about this one besides it being the only X rated movie to win Best Picture.

The Maltese Falcon: Never got around to watching it. I've seen three Bogart movies so far (Treasure Of Sierra Madre was one of the greatest films I have ever seen, In A Lonely Place I liked, Casablanca I didn't) but I have never been a big noir fan.

El Topo: I was going to list The Holy Mountain but this one came first and I heard it is good to watch as a way to ease somebody into Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Black Narcissus: I actually imported this from the UK way before the American Criterion Blu-Ray release. I kind of forgot about it but watching Peeping Tom reminded me how I need to get off my rear end and watch it.

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid: I'm still not a big western fan but I have been steamrolling through all of the greats in this thread. Been meaning to watch this one so I could read William Goldman's Adventures In The Screen Trade. A book I have also been putting off since at the end, it has the screenplay to this movie.

Solaris: I haven't seen any Andrei Tarkovsky yet.

Woodstock: No excuse for this one. I own it on Blu-Ray, I've watched some of the song outtakes but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. The runtime always make me grab a different movie over this one.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100), Annie Hall (79/100), Lawrence Of Arabia (92/100), Dazed And Confused (67/100), The Third Man (86/100), Aguirre: The Wrath Of War (85/100), City Lights (88/100), Paths Of Glory (69/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 31, 2011

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Sporadic posted:

Back To The Future: I think I seen part of 2 on tv (is that the one with the hoverboard scene?) but I have never felt the need to track this down.

Yes the second one is the hoverboard.

Liked more History of Violence than I thought I would. It was quite good. Though I did feel like it was a "Been there, done that" affair. The whole thing feels very similar to Unforgiven, it even has a joke referencing Unforgiven, and I found that it didn't do anything new or better than that movie. But as a stand alone it works very well, with superb direction, solid writing and a great cast.(Ed Harris looked like the creepiest gently caress ever)

My shame list:

The Great Dictator I haven't seen this Chaplin.

Bonnie and Clyde Been avoiding watching this for some reason.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

I recommend starting with Wrath of Khan. TMP tends to split people, whereas Khan will make you eager to see the rest. You can double-back and watch TMP again, because the only ones you really need to see in order are 2,3, and 4.

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Electronico6, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a downright exciting adventure.

The Killing is not as distinctive as Kubrick's later films, although it's an accessible and easily enjoyable noir. In a short amount of time, the complex details of the heist are well-understood by the viewer, the characters all having their role. Sterling Hayden, the leader of the group, is about as badass as usual. The dynamic of the husband-wife pair is one of the loose screws in the plot, her actions in the story being particularly loathsome. The pay-off at the end was so fantastic I had to watch it twice for that heart-sinking reaction to the briefcase.

New list:

A Face in the Crowd Made aware of this by the 'Movie of the Month' thread

La Dolce Vita Cautiously adding this to my list after viewing 8½ - not that I didn't like it, but I wasn't blown away either

Prince of the City Knocked out Serpico and continuing on with the Lumet collection

Harakiri Oh, essential samurai cinema

Matewan Suspect this will be rather dry, but a good story nonetheless

The Grifters Yet another kind of noir

Bugsy Another gangster movie with a Morricone soundtrack, and more Warren Beatty

Inside Job Most recent Best Documentary, with timely subject matter

Watched: Once Upon a Time in America, The Sting, MASH, Ran, The Big Sleep, Army of Shadows, On the Waterfront, Fantastic Planet, Annie Hall, Barton Fink, The 400 Blows, La Grande Illusion, Gandhi, The Hill, Manhattan, The Host, The Bicycle Thief, The Asphalt Jungle, The Insider, Bringing Out the Dead, 8½, The Abyss, The Thin Blue Line, Touch of Evil, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Wages of Fear, Paris, Texas, The Conversation, Reds, Fargo, Pierrot Le Fou, Blood Simple, The Killing

P78M
Sep 1, 2004

tropical hot dog night
Luckily, I had a break in school, so I watched about 45 movies :v: Looking at my iCheckMovies lists:

American Beauty - Everyone tells me to go see it. Everyone.

On the Waterfront - Yes, I know the quote. Don't know what it pertains to.

City Lights / Modern Times - Chaplin movies. I've not seen much of anything with him in it.

Metropolis - I'm holding out for the BluRay copy with all the new scenes.

Yojimbo - I love Kurosawa, so I'll probably love this.

Grapes of Wrath - So my grandma escaped the dust bowl apparently. This is probably important to watch or something.

Avatar - Mass appeal turned me off.

Animal House - Yea...

Lots of movies I've seen parts of, but never finished. That included Wizard of Oz up until recently.

P78M fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Just saw Rashomon. This was the second Kurosawa movie recommended to me, and I am very impressed with his work so far. Not as good in my mind as Seven Samurai, but that is not a complaint, since Seven Samurai was one of my favorite movies in this thread. Liked the multiple viewpoints of the story. Even the witnesses story was shown not to be completely reliable.

My List:
M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

No Country For Old Men - As someone on this thread mentioned, I also get this confused with There will be Blood. That will be added to my list later

Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended alot. Haven't seen it yet.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Duck Soup - Another Marx Brothers film that I'd like to see

The Princess and the Frog - I usually make sure that I watch a DVD when I buy it, but I bought this movie over a year ago and I still haven't seen it.

Yojimbo - Next movie on my Kurosawa watch list.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Dracula - Never saw any of the classic Hollywood horror movies, but now that I've gotten interested in Bela Lugosi (through the Ed Wood pictures), this seems like the natural first pick.

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon

P78M, you will preview Yojimbo for me.