Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

I like to imagine that Rincewind is pleased to hear that.

Yeah, he seemed happy with being ape number two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The Last Hero would've been the perfect book to end the entire series on, the more I think about it. It has all the Discworld characters with their moments of charm, ties up the final knots of Old fantasy vs Social Commentary Fantasy, and it was just generally epic, especially with the showdown of the mortals finally telling the Gods what's what.

In a way, I sort of wish they'd not released it until Pratchett said "I'm done."

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

The Last Hero would've been the perfect book to end the entire series on, the more I think about it. It has all the Discworld characters with their moments of charm, ties up the final knots of Old fantasy vs Social Commentary Fantasy, and it was just generally epic, especially with the showdown of the mortals finally telling the Gods what's what.

In a way, I sort of wish they'd not released it until Pratchett said "I'm done."

Maybe the follow up where Cohen and his buddies ride again will be his grand finale?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

I like to imagine that Rincewind is pleased to hear that.

I always thought he made a good adventure game protagonist, at least.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

I always thought he made a good adventure game protagonist, at least.

I think Lewton was better.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Alhazred posted:

I think Lewton was better.

Discworld Noir was the best in my opinion too, having an original story was a billion times better than a mish mash of several Discworld novels.

Both it and Discworld 2's soundtracks were excellent though.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Discworld Noir was the best in my opinion too, having an original story was a billion times better than a mish mash of several Discworld novels.

Both it and Discworld 2's soundtracks were excellent though.

Never played Noir, finished 2, got about an hour into 1's bullshit when I was a kid before getting stumped.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Plus puzzles that actually made sense. You could use the crowbar to open things without having to combine it with a chicken first. The notebook system was kinda neat too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Never played Noir, finished 2, got about an hour into 1's bullshit when I was a kid before getting stumped.

Getting a guide for Discworld 1 in 2000 was my first proper use of the internet at the local library. Paid 20p to print it out.

Discworld Noir is well worth picking up on the cheap and playing it, especially if you enjoy a good poke at Noir style stories.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Getting a guide for Discworld 1 in 2000 was my first proper use of the internet at the local library. Paid 20p to print it out.

Discworld Noir is well worth picking up on the cheap and playing it, especially if you enjoy a good poke at Noir style stories.

Good luck with getting it to run on your computer though. It was kinda buggy to begin with, god knows how it runs on newer systems.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Good luck with getting it to run on your computer though. It was kinda buggy to begin with, god knows how it runs on newer systems.

Runs well on XP, though you have to start a new game to load your previous save. But it lets you easily skin through the intro and opening conversation.

Also, this drat music for Lewtons Office is amazing.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

That track is one of my personal favorites. It's just perfect. Hell, the entire soundtrack was great. If there are two things I will always remember from that game (besides "Hwhat do you know about a dwarf named Al-Khali?") it's the little jingle that played when you got a clue.

What I wouldn't give for a new Discworld game. I wonder if you could get Telltale to make it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Iacen posted:

That track is one of my personal favorites. It's just perfect. Hell, the entire soundtrack was great. If there are two things I will always remember from that game (besides "Hwhat do you know about a dwarf named Al-Khali?") it's the little jingle that played when you got a clue.

When You Met Her is also pretty great.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Iacen posted:

What I wouldn't give for a new Discworld game. I wonder if you could get Telltale to make it?

Imagine playing an Oblivion sized game where you can start as a thief, a wizard, an assassin etc.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I wanna read some of the older books again, is there anywhere I can do that online? I don't mean filez of course. I can get an unlimited number of books for free from my local library (It's how I've read all the discworld books) so why can't they do an online version of a library?

Izz
May 1, 2006

Some libraries offer ebook loans through services such as Overdrive, it would be worth checking if your local one offers anything like this.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

ibroxmassive posted:

Imagine playing an Oblivion sized game where you can start as a thief, a wizard, an assassin etc.

The Discworld MUD is pretty much everything you're looking for, admittedly sans graphics. http://discworld.atuin.net

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, my criteria IS Pratchett's other works, so yeah...they're pretty low.

I see their charm, but I mean this as respectfully as possible, they're very disjointed and lack any cohesive themes or depth his later works do. If I read one of those books first...I would not read the rest of the series.

Pratchett himself has said he doesn't write Rincewind anymore because he's done with the staccato wacky-get-into-adventures with random places writing style.

On a related note, where the hell should people even start with Discworld if they want to read the rincewind books after they're endeared to the series?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I'd say Small Gods since it's standalone and one of the best, then follow it with the Guards, Death and Witches books, by that point you should be fairly endeared to the series with a sizeable portion read and can either go back to Rincewind or look at some of the other standalone books.

Having said that though you'll miss some of the world growth and references if you go from one sub-series to another so once you read Small Gods you might want to work through the publishing order while skipping the Rincewind books, Pyramids, Equal Rites and Moving Pictures. It's not that they don't have their charms but they can be awkward in places and lack the Discworld feel that you get from the other books.

Vengeance of Pandas fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 27, 2011

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Yeah, I've hooked a couple of people with the one-two Small Gods then Guards Guards approach. Once they've read those two they should be fine to proceed. They'd likely need to read Wyrd Sisters before Witches Abroad, though. And Mort is an important precursor to Reaper Man.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
I'll just leave this here

http://media.smh.com.au/entertainment/at-the-house/sir-terry-pratchett-in-conversation-2328251.html

It's Terry Pratchett's lecture/thingy that he gave at the Sydney Opera House recently, it also contains a reading from an start of Snuff.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

SeanBeansShako posted:

If it turns up please post it here thanks.

Sorry this has taken a while, getting to a working scanner proved more tricky than expected. However it did leave ample time for another, unrelated excavation of the loft which I believe has turned up what you were looking for.

Terry Pratchett on many things computer and games related
PC Gamer Magazine - December 1993
Hopefully in the right order.

The other articles I mentioned will have to wait till I can get to the big scanner in the office.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Haha, awesome. And seeing those Discworld 1 screenshots brought back some painful memories.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That game really turned out to be not so great after I revisited it last year. I thought it was cool back in the nineties ah the nineties, but eh.

Missing Presumed ... was a bit better.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The PSX copy I owned 2nd hand was scratched to buggery so I couldn't advance to certain sections as it would freeze loading up certain bits.

I completed it years later when I came across a PC version of it.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd need a VERY good reason to go into the Shades!

The Shades is an area, where curiosity does not merely kill the cat, but ties lead weights to its feet, and throws it in the river.

that doesn't work

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo
Dragon-gon, dragon-gon, dragon-gon :3:

It's probably been 12 years since I played that game as a kid and I can still remember the noise that played when you picked something up. Pretty sure there was a bug that stopped me finishing the game right at the very end :smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slide McGriffin posted:

Dragon-gon, dragon-gon, dragon-gon :3:

It's probably been 12 years since I played that game as a kid and I can still remember the noise that played when you picked something up. Pretty sure there was a bug that stopped me finishing the game right at the very end :smith:

Don't forget the gulp of the Luggage when you dropped it in!

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

Thanks to that I have now dug out my original disk, got scummvm working on the droid phone and set myself for several days of very frustrating daily commute. I never did complete it.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I think based largley on this thread I picked up some Discworld books. A few years later, I and my wife have read nearly all of them, and we love them. Except books about wizards, which are boring and unfunny. Pratchet is brilliant, his books are as good as any other fantasy book leaving out the humor, then you add in the fact that they are actually funny, and you can't beat them for a fun read.

Some of our favorites:
Going Postal and the rest with Moist
Nightwatch
Thief of Time
anything with Susan

So thanks!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

modig posted:

Nightwatch
Thief of Time

You have good taste! These books are the best because Lu-Tze is the best.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I read Nightwatch first because I had heard that Guards Guards was the best book to start with and couldn't quite remember the title only that it had something to do with a Watch or guards.
Starting 29 books into the series had no impact on my enjoyment.

and I still haven't actually gotten to reading Guards.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

FreudianSlippers posted:

I read Nightwatch first because I had heard that Guards Guards was the best book to start with and couldn't quite remember the title only that it had something to do with a Watch or guards.
Starting 29 books into the series had no impact on my enjoyment.

and I still haven't actually gotten to reading Guards.

Guards is a perfectly pleasant intro to Vimes and Carrot and company. It's sort of interesting to see how they've changed since their introductions and how the Watch in say, Thud!, has evolved and expanded. It's definitely worth finding in a library if you are hesitant to buy it for some reason.

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo
Dont recall seeing this thread posted but it's probably of interest to some of you/

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Jekub posted:

got scummvm working on the droid phone

go on

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

Either download the official ScummVM android port from ScummVM and install it, or I've found the ScummVM-SDL port to be a bit better so far, it has some nice custom controls for right mouse button action and a handy on-screen magnifying glass if you need it.

Locate your copies of the Discworld games (or most any other point and click game), copy the files to your phone, load them into scummvm, play. I had an issue with sound at first which was fixed by restarting the phone. It's worked perfectly so far, the luggage is full of crap I have no idea what to do with.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

When people mention Pratchett and his love for computers and video games they usually refer to that one article on the internet where he mentions Half-Life and Doom and stuff like that. I've never seen that PC gamer article interview before, it's pretty nifty.

And speaking of things I've never seen before, here's another interview I accidentally found and swiftly scanned. It's from a 1997 issue of Playstation Official Magazine and there's stuff about the Discworld PS1/PC title and some other games.

Click for huge.

PS1 Hagrid fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 27, 2011

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Hungry Bit posted:

When people mention Pratchett and his love for computers and video games they usually refer to that one article on the internet where he mentions Half-Life and Doom and stuff like that. I've never seen that PC gamer article interview before, it's pretty nifty.

I remember his 6 screen set up that he used to play Oblivion on.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
So, I just now finished I Shall Wear Midnight. It's... not bad. Not great, but good; of course, for a Discworld book, that's not a putdown. There are parts that are very good, and there are parts that feel derivative of the other Aching books, but there are no parts that are not at least well executed. It's not one of his best, but it's a solid Discworld book and a good sendoff for Tiffany. Callbacks, so many callbacks. I wasn't as overjoyed with the return of Eskarina Smith (Are we still spoiling even though it's like 9 months old? I will for safety) as a character, possibly because Equal Rites is the one Discworld book I legitimately dislike rather than like-less. On the other hand, things disconnected with the main storyline over in Ankh-Morpork like Angua's promotion to captain, which I really hope is setting her up as "Vetinari's New Terrier" makes me even more eager for Snuff to come out with some hot hot Watch action.

The climax was kind of flat; good on its own, but really after the absolutely perfect and incredible ending of Wintersmith (one of his best books as far as I'm concerned, top tier along with Night Watch and Thief of Time*) but it makes sense inside the story itself. No other real issues with the plot, however, and it did a lot right. For instance, throughout, dealing with the issues caused by The Cunning Man's poison going where poison's welcome was absolutely wrenching, and a sober look at contagious irrational hatred that's exactly the kind of thing I love Discworld for. I think there is a theme of 'hidden depths' at play, too. There are the obvious examples; Letitia being a witch was the one I didn't see coming, though I realized Amber's just before it happened because Pterry isn't one to waste a perfectly good character. And then the guard, and the Baron, and Wee Mad Arthur... basically, everyone. Nobody is as simple as they appear in this book, and I love that sort of consistency.

I will say that the epilogue actually made me get misty-eyed, since I knew it was the goodbye to Tiffany "Land Under Wave" Aching who is oddly enough one of my favorite characters. It was absolutely the perfect ending for her, though. Bring on "Snuff" and let's say goodbye to some more characters, though if there's an epilogue as good as this for Vimes I am probably going to be wrecked.

"Listen." Goddamn, perfect epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Since Pratchett's on borrowed time before God decides to take him down, I think his writing is now aimed at wrapping up the characters' lives.

I haven't read a single spoiler for SNUFF and do not want to, but I think we can make educated guesses that the Watch has grown quite well and Vimes is ready to retire. Carrot, Angua, and Moist have all risen in power to the point where they can run the city in the event Ventinari or Vimes leaves. And they all have their own tangled relationships with each other.