Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarento

THE WORD FOR THIS IS loving "CELEBRITY"

go through wikipedia and find all the retarded jap word entries and redirect them to their english ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
i wonder if japanese people look at wikipedia and die a little on the inside kinda like the rest of us do

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaggar posted:

go through wikipedia and find all the retarded jap word entries and redirect them to their english ones.

alternatively, start a bunch of arabic ones and defend their existence by pointing at the japanese ones

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Why is this article named "tarento" when the English word "talent" can be used to refer to a person? Is the "tarento" spelling used at all in the Japanese media? I think the article would be better served at Talent (person).

quote:

The Japanese media uses the katakana rendering exclusively - it's considered a wasei-eigo word in and of itself, with its own meaning, not just a transliteration of the English word. English discussions tend to use tarento instead of "talent," since "talent" is often used to describe actors or other performers in general in American media.

quote:

Actually it should be called Talento instead of Tarento. As there is no differece in Japanese between L and R, it makes absolutely no sense to use an R, where there was an L in the original English word. Besides, it is mostly used as Talento in English articles that discuss Japanese show-business.

quote:

I agree with Voidvector that this should be Talent (person). The reason the Japanese media use the katakana rendering exclusively is that's how you spell "talent" in Japanese. There is no greater meaning than that.

quote:

Why is this a page

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

quote:

Since when iσ talent an English word? It's a Greek word.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

so does english wikipedia have more articles about japanese words and things than japanese wikipedia?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

The Brown Menace posted:

so does english wikipedia have more articles about japanese words and things than japanese wikipedia?

blame anime

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-and-white

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon_Black_and_White

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

The Brown Menace posted:

It probably has more articles about japanese things than english things

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiS...tml&userlang=en

this is actually cool

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I feel like saying a word of praise for wiki now, from that "black-and-white" page I followed a couple links and came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_morphology

which s legit interesting and something I didn't know about.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
everyone keeps insisting that anime isn't just cartoons, that's why u end up having tarento wiki entries instead of just talent entry.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

But anime is just cartoons. It's loving drawings that are put into goddamn sequence and refreshed to give the impression of motion. They are literally nothing but cartoons.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

HYMEN.SYS posted:

But anime is just cartoons. It's loving drawings that are put into goddamn sequence and refreshed to give the impression of motion. They are literally nothing but cartoons.

*unsheathes katana*

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

What really loving gets me, though, is that apparently getting lumped in with "cartoons", which have a pretty goddamn rich history in entertainment, regardless of country, is some sort of grand insult. That and the fact that they think that Japan was aiming anime at older audiences before everyone else, despite the fact that the Flintstones was just The Honeymooners set in the stone age for the entire first season.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

these people are not well rounded except in shape, just gotta let it go

i suggest feeding them psychoactives, a lot of shut in faggots could use some lsd or mdma in their lives

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Exactly.

but people insist on referring to them as "anime" instead of "cartoons". you have people who extensively talk about how much they hate "anime" but don't care about "cartoons" which is dumb as hell.

and then you have the spergonauts feeling the need to specifically defend glorious japanese anime and refer to it as not cartoons (even though not so long ago people would normally refer to them as just plain "cartoons" or sometimes "japanese cartoons").

and then you have people bitching about how they show "anime" to kids on tv now as if voltron and all the other 80s/early 90s cartoons from japan weren't anime. as if it matters where the cartoons made to sell toys and dolls were written by a japanese dude or an american dude when every cartoon gets made by cheap south korean labor anyway.

thats how you end up with tarento and talent on wikipedia.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I mean, jesus christ, a lot of these people write off western animation entirely just because it's not from Japan. Yes, a lot of mass-produced media is awful, that's always been the case! So you have to dig a little to find the good stuff. And you know what? Start digging in France, because France is a goddamn champ at putting effort into some of their productions!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
france was overrated before japan. its someone elses turn.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

poemdexter posted:

i wonder if japanese people look at wikipedia and die a little on the inside kinda like the rest of us do

the only thing japanese people hate more than japanese otakus is american otakus in nippon

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Shaggar posted:

france was overrated before japan. its someone elses turn.

Unlike Japan, france is willing to animate entire faces rather than just making a snout face and slapping a mouth on the side like a loving flounder.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dreamworks-face.png

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

dreamworks-face.png

Dreamworks face is really annoying but it hasn't actually appeared in great amount in any Dreamworks movie since Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (and maybe Bee Movie, I didn't bother with that). It's mostly just a promotional gimmick that gets slapped on posters because most people don't actually notice it on a conscious level.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

agreed this is something i care about/am interested in thanks for the discussion points

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Unlike Japan, france is willing to animate entire faces rather than just making a snout face and slapping a mouth on the side like a loving flounder.

nearly all cartoons are animated in studios in South Korea. the amount of money the owners in other countries put up determines how much animation effort is put in.

all of hanna-barbera's cartoons did similar animation cheats to cheaply done Japanese cartoons. fred flintsone's stubble allowed them to actually animate the face less without it looking weird and so on.

idk what french cartoons you're talking about but the only difference between them and japanese or american cartoons is likely paying Kim-il-Kimchi Sung Jun Animation Happy Conglomerate of Seoul an extra $10,000 per episode

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

fishmech posted:

nearly all cartoons are animated in studios in South Korea. the amount of money the owners in other countries put up determines how much animation effort is put in.

all of hanna-barbera's cartoons did similar animation cheats to cheaply done Japanese cartoons. fred flintsone's stubble allowed them to actually animate the face less without it looking weird and so on.

idk what french cartoons you're talking about but the only difference between them and japanese or american cartoons is likely paying Kim-il-Kimchi Sung Jun Animation Happy Conglomerate of Seoul an extra $10,000 per episode

lol episodic format TV shows. Get a budget, fag.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fishmech posted:

they all wear neckwear so you can just lop off the head and animate that bit instead of the whole body

fred's tie, wilma's jewelry, yogi bear & boo boo's ties, etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JawnV6 posted:

they all wear neckwear so you can just lop off the head and animate that bit instead of the whole body

fred's tie, wilma's jewelry, yogi bear & boo boo's ties, etc.

heck yes

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
all these capital letters and sperging about cartoons is making me very suspicious :raise:

reidscones
Apr 5, 2007

:snoop: deserve got nothin to do with it :snoop:
hymen.sys are u talking about like triplets of belleville/the illusionist

those are fuckin gorgeous

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

DOOMocrat posted:

these people are not well rounded except in shape

lmao

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

HYMEN.SYS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylfye-q8Mfs

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
anime isnt art, but neither is anything else *le sigh*

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

johndis posted:

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

johndis posted:

and that's what makes it art and why games are not

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
In my experience,

art is something with either A) makes you think or feel, or B) wonder why it is considered art

by that definition i suppose clause B may apply. But no, no not at all.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090206065056AAPLmQ8

yahoo answers for " IS ANIME A "CARTOON"? "

peak loving internet

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hay i found something that was the tits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Runner_%28cartoon%29

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

hay i found something that was the tits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Runner_%28cartoon%29

For example, the Dehydrated Boulder, upon hydration, becomes so large that it crushes him, or the Coyote finding out that the Earthquake Pills bottle label's fine print states that the pills aren’t effective on road runners, right after he swallows the whole bottle, thinking they're ineffective. Other times he uses items that are implausible, such as a superhero outfit, thinking he could fly wearing it (he cannot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

For example, the Dehydrated Boulder, upon hydration, becomes so large that it crushes him, or the Coyote finding out that the Earthquake Pills bottle label's fine print states that the pills aren’t effective on road runners, right after he swallows the whole bottle, thinking they're ineffective. Other times he uses items that are implausible, such as a superhero outfit, thinking he could fly wearing it (he cannot).

beep beep