Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Square Enix is out. That's too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Square Enix is out. That's too bad.
Where were they denied?

Big Sal Graziano
May 10, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I've learned that whenever a company does this, it's always best to expect the least desirable choice.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Now that I think about it, though, didn't MS allow fans to release MW4 for free, along with their mod pack?
Yeah, microsoft did.
http://www.mektek.net/index.php/home/articles/mechwarrior4-mercenaries-downloads-r1204

It uses a custom installation manager/patcher called MTX though, and it is a pile of garbage. Still, the game is really fun.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blodskur posted:

Where were they denied?

http://www.gog.com/upload/strony_www/temp/en/img/map/map2gxvserv8wmp8pub.jpg

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Blodskur posted:

Where were they denied?

http://www.gog.com/en/news/dr_m_and_the_dastardly_doom

The map has been cropped to exclude Japan.

efb

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

They own Eidos and Eidos have their big offices in Montréal so maybe it's just magically not on the map because it's hidden by Canadian snows? :ohdear:

e; VVV shut up. :colbert:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 31, 2011

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

The logo's grayed out, too.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If you owned Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror, you now have the remastered version available to download for free. There's also a 3 day Broken Sword promo, so if you buy them all, you'll save 50% or 30% individually.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Blodskur posted:

If you owned Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror, you now have the remastered version available to download for free. There's also a 3 day Broken Sword promo, so if you buy them all, you'll save 50% or 30% individually.

That's awesome! I played the first one not too long ago and I didn't feel like buying again another version of the second one. Pretty classy of GOG to give us the remastered version for free when we already have the original.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Hemish posted:

That's awesome! I played the first one not too long ago and I didn't feel like buying again another version of the second one. Pretty classy of GOG to give us the remastered version for free when we already have the original.

It's a very nice surprise, I purchased it from them in 2008 apparently. Never have completed it so this will give me the motivation to play through it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Ooh, that's really nice. Along with how they provided the original Broken Sword for free for those who had bought the Director's Cut version, I'm really glad I bought the series on GOG instead of Steam.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
That is really awesome of them. I actually don't have a GoG version though! I should do as one of my lecturers at University was one of the developers, so going to go and pick that up.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Flashduck posted:

The logo's grayed out, too.

If it's anyone besides 2K Games, I'm going to be very surprised.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A part of me wants to deny it's 2K Games because they're owned by Take-Two Interactive which is based in New York. I find it odd they would sign a deal with the subsidiary and not the owner. It would be like if they signed a deal with Eidos directly instead of going through Square-Enix.

Big Sal Graziano posted:

I've learned that whenever a company does this, it's always best to expect the least desirable choice.

I guess between EA, 2K, and Microsoft then MS would be the least desirable. It's still unlikely because they're pushing their own horrible platform. If anything 2K gives us the first thing better be Alpha Centauri.

OlMaster
May 12, 2008
I've just bought the Broken Sword collection as I'm on an adventure binge right now. The HD resolution on the remakes sound nice but I'm hearing some bad things about how they're not true to the original, especially the first one's 'Director's Cut', and it's difficult to tell if it's just purist complaining or legitimate problems.

Having never played them, should I stick with the originals or just jump into the remasters?

Valen
Oct 1, 2009
GoG needs to stop putting adventure games on sale. I'm still trying to finish The Witcher 2 and have both Syberia games from the last sale to go through. :argh:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

OlMaster posted:

I've just bought the Broken Sword collection as I'm on an adventure binge right now. The HD resolution on the remakes sound nice but I'm hearing some bad things about how they're not true to the original, especially the first one's 'Director's Cut', and it's difficult to tell if it's just purist complaining or legitimate problems.

Having never played them, should I stick with the originals or just jump into the remasters?

I played the remastered edition before the original and the pacing felt broken. I'd play the original first and the remake after a while (new puzzles are ok).

They are goodish adventure games. Not Lucas Arts/Gabriel Knight quality but definitely better than King's Quests etc. The third is quite weak though.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

OlMaster posted:

It's possible I'm a purist since I played the original many times long before the director's cut came out, but I would stick to the original. The added animations look nice but are jarring compared to the original artwork that's a significantly different style. Also, the added sections aren't really interesting puzzle-wise and I feel ruin the pacing and narrative. (i.e. The first half of the original is your character trying to find out about the reasoning behind an assassination, which feels weird in the director's cut where the added prologue pretty much sucks half of the mystery out of it.)

Also, they do some weird thing where they zoom in on the scenes in the director's cut that makes the great looking but dated 2D artwork even more blurry than in the original.

The writing in the games is top notch though. I've never played a game with so much memorable dialogue.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 31, 2011

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I already own a hard copy of BS2 from years ago and have completed it a few times over the years, so is there really any point in me getting the remastered version? Eh, looking at the screen shots and the zoomed in faces thing looks kinda dumb and the rest of the game looks exactly the same. Is there any added stuff for BS2 or was that BS1 only?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
EDIT: Ugh nevermind. Square Enix owns Thief. No wonder it isn't listed. gently caress square enix forever.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 31, 2011

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Packard Goose posted:

Came looking for Thief and/or Thief 2, left disappointed. How is it that Thief isn't on this site but Rainbow Six is?
Because Thief series of games is owned by Eidos/Square Enix and GoG doesn't have a distribution deal with them, which is what a bunch of people in this thread have been wishing for.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

YOU GUYS 2 DAYS UNTIL THE BIGGEST ANNOUNCEMENT GOG HAS EVER DONE AREN'T YOU EXCITED

Oh, four more games...

Goddamnit, GOG. We love you and all, but stop hyping the gently caress out of everything.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Why not though? It's as fun as it is corny; it gives GOG a little bit more advertisement by making a big deal of it; it's a deal with a very large publisher that's good for more than 25 games.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
This is the moment you've been all waiting for. Today we give you the biggest GoG news ever...

... new free Witcher 2 wallpapers. Weeee! Smell you later! *break dances off the stage*

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I would actually enjoy that.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why not though? It's as fun as it is corny; it gives GOG a little bit more advertisement by making a big deal of it; it's a deal with a very large publisher that's good for more than 25 games.

Agreed, it's just a bit of fun and more games is always good for GoG.

Any ideas on what we should be expecting?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lurchibles posted:

Agreed, it's just a bit of fun and more games is always good for GoG.

Any ideas on what we should be expecting?

Well, if it's Take 2 we'll get Austin Powers' Pinball.

gently caress Yeah

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
Would be amazing if they got EA but the 25 games were all just various expansion packs for The Sims.

Big Sal Graziano
May 10, 2011

by Ozmaugh

al-azad posted:

A part of me wants to deny it's 2K Games because they're owned by Take-Two Interactive which is based in New York. I find it odd they would sign a deal with the subsidiary and not the owner. It would be like if they signed a deal with Eidos directly instead of going through Square-Enix.

I guess between EA, 2K, and Microsoft then MS would be the least desirable. It's still unlikely because they're pushing their own horrible platform. If anything 2K gives us the first thing better be Alpha Centauri.

Microsoft would give us all the Age of ______ games which would be fantastic. Take Two would be the worst imho. That said, per my rule that the more hyped up something is the worst the outcome, that means Take Two will be the publisher announcement.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Looks like Microsoft has been ruled out now too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They're gonna string LucasArts out to the final day, aren't they?

Because they're dicks :colbert:

Big Sal Graziano
May 10, 2011

by Ozmaugh
If its LucasArts that is pretty lackluster.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I just want Grim Fandango, OK

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Kohan 2, Hidden and Dangerous 1 and 2, Martian Gothic, Heavy Metal FAKK 2, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Mafia, Max Payne, Nocturne, Oni, Rune, Blair Witch Project trilogy...

It might be the weakest of the remaining four three publishers, but every game above is worth checking out. So I'd still be pleased.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 31, 2011

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

They're gonna string LucasArts out to the final day, aren't they?

Because they're dicks :colbert:

So long as the publisher is EA I say let them be dicks, all would be forgiven.

I think it'll be 2K though.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Big Sal Graziano posted:

If its LucasArts that is pretty lackluster.

You got a death wish, or are you really this stupid?

edit: can't wait

edit2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upUw1xjaLA8&t=197s

seriously.

glug fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 31, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So, the publishers being greyed-out, does that mean they're not one of the two 'almost ready' publishers they've talked about? Or is it just that they're not the one being announced on june 2nd?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Cray posted:

Would be amazing if they got EA but the 25 games were all just various expansion packs for The Sims.

This would be awesome - I can't find The Sims - Crufts Dog Accessories expansion anywhere, and my poodle's fur is getting knotty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Eh! Frank posted:

Looks like Microsoft has been ruled out now too.

drat. Would really love to have had a digital copy of Age of Empires/ AoE2. Someday :(