Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobster Wiggle
Sep 21, 2004

The Saviour posted:

Shadow Line

I got turned onto the Shadow Line by the same friend who turned me on to Luther, and I'm really liking it so far. I like the style, Christopher Ecceleston and Chiwetel Ejiofor are rock solid, and Rafe Spall, holy poo poo. He's been phenomenal. Excited to see where they're taking the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Help, late-night BBC4 documentaries have taken my brain hostage, I even watched that one about the A303 from beginning to end, send dynamic programmes with explosions and girls.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

Help, late-night BBC4 documentaries have taken my brain hostage, I even watched that one about the A303 from beginning to end, send dynamic programmes with explosions and girls.
This. So much this.
I'll admit I havn't stooped to A303 level just yet, but i do systematically check what was on BBC4 the night before whenever I'm on the iPlayer. I swear to god, the music programmes are amazing. They're both an introduction to loads of cool old music and an exploration of society throughout the 20th century. The only bad thing is that it makes me sad I'm far too young to have ever seen The Old Grey Whistle Test.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is the Queen doc any good?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
You know Spooks, right? Kudos are selling their props store tomorrow.

quote:

ONE DAY ONLY - PROP SALE

DATE: WEDNESDAY 1ST JUNE 2011
TIME: 10AM UNTIL 5PM

RETRO FURNITURE • OFFICE FURNITRE • CROCKERY • FABRICS • GLASSWARE • LIGHTING • LAMPS • LCD SCREENS • FAX MACHINES • COMPUTERS • PRINTERS • TELEPHONES • MIRRORS • COFFINS • CANDLES • PICTURES • BLINDS • RUGS • KITCHEN APPLIANCES • SUITCASES • CANDLESTICKS • WINERACKS • TROLLEY DOLLY • CIGARETTE CASES • BRIEFCASES • BAGS • LINENS • ARTWORK • GAMES • CAMERA STANDS • AND MUCH MUCH MORE..

PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS – ARRIVE EARLY TO AVOID DISSAPOINTMENT [sic]!

FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT LIZA CARMEL – 07956 531 847

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Deep fat fryer?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The A303 doc is superb and a perfect example of why we still need a strong, independent BBC.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

Is the Queen doc any good?

I thought it was great. It's a testament to the band that they had 2 hours and still had to skip over so much. It was a mixture of archive (including some never-before-seen TOTP stuff) and recent interviews and the band members were quite candid about some elements of their career. Of course there was lots and lots and lots of Freddie mincing around the stage and singing amazing songs which is what you want.

BBC has really carved out a niche of great music documentaries.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
They really have. The 'Blues/Soul/Rock/etc Britannia' docs are fantastic. I wish they'd get a DVD release, or at least be archived somewhere.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlwDrpTq2Mo
With this and Rastamouse kids TV ain't as bad as I imagined.

Testro
May 2, 2009

wickles posted:

I'm rather partial to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2kyNbZc7oc

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Holy gently caress this carehome expose thing on BBC 1 is just jesus loving terrible.

It takes a shitload to even remotely bother me, but this is just the worst thing ever. Ever. Needs to be seen, but it's painful to watch.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, this is loving appalling.

EDIT: Jesus, it just gets worse. They better be arrested as a result of this.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 31, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I'd forgotten how unfunny Lead Balloon is.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, this is loving appalling.

EDIT: Jesus, it just gets worse. They better be arrested as a result of this.

According to this four people were arrested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13548222

At least something came out of this program. I only hope they get appropriate sentences for the amount of suffering they caused.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
loving hell Panorama is grim :(

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

wickles posted:

New Horrible Histories, good stuff. I hadn't realised it had started again. I saw bits and pieces of past shows and it's great - educational and often genuinely funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSkaAwKMD4
The classic rock ballad Vikings were a favourite of mine.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Is anyone watching the discussion on The Scheme? Not sure if its just on BBC Scotland but it's actually pretty good. There are no diatribes about getting people to stop leeching off benefits, just intelligent panelists making reasonable points. Even the police guy seems fairly sane.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Alertrelic posted:

Is anyone watching the discussion on The Scheme? Not sure if its just on BBC Scotland but it's actually pretty good. There are no diatribes about getting people to stop leeching off benefits, just intelligent panelists making reasonable points. Even the police guy seems fairly sane.

Yes I am actually. It's quite good, I'm nodding and tutting etc and feel slightly annoyed that there's no one around to notice how well informed I'm being.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Jamie Oliver vs Capitalism. Capitalism wins. :smith:

edit: i'm watching on 4+1 and Jamie just pulled out an extremeley overweight kid with a family that's all got diabetes including 10 year old kids and poo poo and how it's all down to fast food. It was to show some restaraunt owner why he's doing what he's doing in an attempt to get some healthy poo poo put on the restaraunt's menu.

The owners response?

"Oh well, it's a choice to eat it fatty. People are buying the poo poo i'm selling so i'm going to sell it." a.k.a. gently caress you, got mine.

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 31, 2011

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Latest new low hit by BBC3: Misbehaving Mums to Be. I watched 10 minutes of it and was introduced to Heather: 22 year old mum to be who puffed her way through 20 fags a day despite being 7 months preggers. Her dad almost persuaded her to quit by offering to pay her for every pack of cigarettes she didn't buy, but in the end she she couldn't be arsed to give up.

I really had to love the little animated inserts of a baby in the womb puffing on a fag, just to lighten the mood while we watch a slack jawed cretin poison her unborn child.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

sex pervert posted:

I really had to love the little animated inserts of a baby in the womb puffing on a fag,

No loving way. No way is there a jaunty little animation of a smoking foetus.
With this and that dumb road documentary, BBCs 3 and 4 are impossible to satirize.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kin posted:

Jamie Oliver vs Capitalism. Capitalism wins. :smith:

edit: i'm watching on 4+1 and Jamie just pulled out an extremeley overweight kid with a family that's all got diabetes including 10 year old kids and poo poo and how it's all down to fast food. It was to show some restaraunt owner why he's doing what he's doing in an attempt to get some healthy poo poo put on the restaraunt's menu.

The owners response?

"Oh well, it's a choice to eat it fatty. People are buying the poo poo i'm selling so i'm going to sell it." a.k.a. gently caress you, got mine.

Not really a case of gently caress you, got mine, more a case of 'Well... that's how the free market operates, dude. Of course you shouldn't have a loving burger, fries and large coke every single day because that poo poo will be bad for you but if you want to give me money to continue to make your poor choices with then I, as a business man, am not going to stop you.'

Their money, their choice, their massive loving coronary.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

wickles posted:

This is brilliant stuff.

(Also don't forget The Sarah Jane Adventures)

sex pervert posted:

Latest new low hit by BBC3: Misbehaving Mums to Be. I watched 10 minutes of it and was introduced to Heather: 22 year old mum to be who puffed her way through 20 fags a day despite being 7 months preggers. Her dad almost persuaded her to quit by offering to pay her for every pack of cigarettes she didn't buy, but in the end she she couldn't be arsed to give up.

I really had to love the little animated inserts of a baby in the womb puffing on a fag, just to lighten the mood while we watch a slack jawed cretin poison her unborn child.

I really, really hate this show. I can't even watch it to laugh at the human trainwrecks the way I can watch trash like Snog Marry Avoid. It's just really saddening stuff because they're not just ruining their own health, they're ruining some kid's as well, even though they're given some pretty explicit explanations of the probable consequences.

The advert alone pisses me off no end, since I see that :btroll: talking about how she's craving pie and chips and think "and was that actually different to before the pregnancy?"

That said, I have learned some stuff from it. For one thing, I didn't know that enough smoking could make the placenta just fall off the uterus, instantly killing the baby :psyduck:

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 1, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ChuckDHead posted:

(Also don't forget The Sarah Jane Adventures)
I'd forget seeing many more episodes.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

Sion posted:

Not really a case of gently caress you, got mine, more a case of 'Well... that's how the free market operates, dude. Of course you shouldn't have a loving burger, fries and large coke every single day because that poo poo will be bad for you but if you want to give me money to continue to make your poor choices with then I, as a business man, am not going to stop you.'

Their money, their choice, their massive loving coronary.

Continuing to sell a product that you know harms your customers for the sake of profit is gently caress You (your health) Got Mine (my money). Let the health services and everyone else pick up the bill because i've made mine.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

John_Anon_Smith posted:

Continuing to sell a product that you know harms your customers for the sake of profit is gently caress You (your health) Got Mine (my money). Let the health services and everyone else pick up the bill because i've made mine.

Shops shouldn't sell butter because if you eat a whole tub a day you'll get fat and that is harmful. They shouldn't sell alcohol as if you drink a bottle of whiskey a day you'll get ill and that is harmful. They shouldn't sell water because if you drink too much it can lead to overhydration.

Using your logic, shops shouldn't sell any food or drinks, as people are capable of consuming too much of a product. A single fast food meal won't kill someone, but three meals a day seven days a week for an extended period likely will. It's not the product that's the issue, so it's not the owner's problem. It's the customer's fault for buying and eating too much of this food, doing so at their own will.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

ChuckDHead posted:

The advert alone pisses me off no end, since I see that :btroll: talking about how she's craving pie and chips and think "and was that actually different to before the pregnancy?"

What kind of boring oval office do you have to be where chips & gravy is your favourite meal?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

John_Anon_Smith posted:

Everything is harmful in the wrong quantities, and arguing this point to the people selling the good is pointless because fundamentally they don't care until they're legally forced into "caring". Really the best thing Jamie can do is keep trying to inform the public about the effects of bad eating and on how to be aware of the sort of tricks junk food marketing employs.

I do feel for the guy, though. He seems pretty genuine about wanting to improve the nation's health, and he takes an unbelievable amount of poo poo about it from petulant fatasses who can't accept that their choices and the choices they make for their children are not always the best and businessmen who know full well that their practices and marketing tactics are frequently irresponsible.

Perhaps one day he'll snap and just go totally the other way, making shows like "Jamie's High-Fat-and-Sodium Lunchboxes", "Jamie's Go On, Have Another Pack of Biscuits", or "Jamie and the Remaining One Of The Two Fat Ladies' Full English Fry-Up Pizza Burgers For Every Meal Diet" in an effort to kill off the ungrateful people he's been trying to help. Sadly it'd probably be the first time these people listened to him...

Akuma posted:

I'd forget seeing many more episodes.

Never has the Smith emoticon been so appropriate :smith:

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What kind of boring oval office do you have to be where chips & gravy is your favourite meal?

Probably the sort of person who consider salt to be a spice and thinks ketchup is a bit of a walk on the wild side as far as flavour goes.

Oh who am I kidding, she's probably going to skip breastfeeding and give her baby a bottle of ketchup instead of formula.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 1, 2011

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

John_Anon_Smith posted:

The guy's not selling anything illegal or inherently terrible for you if eaten in moderation (as far as I know - I haven't watched the show and, as such, don't know if he's not like... cutting it with rat poison or anything but I'm firmly in JAFO territory) and it's entirely down to the user what they want to do with it. Should Talisker stop selling whiskey because of liver failure? Should Evian stop selling bottled water because if you down 8 litres of that stuff in one sitting you'll probably die of water intoxication? Should shops refuse to carry Sunny Delight because you'll turn yourself into the loving tango man if you nosh down a gallon of it in a day?

It's obvious that eating a XL King Meal from burger king every other day is gonna gently caress you up big time. It is not like healthy eating information is in short supply and it's not like a pound of beef slathered in mayo and cheese being bad for you is going to come as a big loving surprise.

That's what capitalism and freedom-of-choice taste like: Salad, chicken breast and the occasional burger.

That being said, Kubrik had to put a lock on Brando's fridge. Maybe Jamie could give that another whack?

Sion fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 1, 2011

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

ChuckDHead posted:

Everything is harmful in the wrong quantities, and arguing this point to the people selling the good is pointless because fundamentally they don't care until they're legally forced into "caring". Really the best thing Jamie can do is keep trying to inform the public about the effects of bad eating and on how to be aware of the sort of tricks junk food marketing employs.

I do feel for the guy, though. He seems pretty genuine about wanting to improve the nation's health, and he takes an unbelievable amount of poo poo about it from petulant fatasses who can't accept that their choices and the choices they make for their children are not always the best and businessmen who know full well that their practices and marketing tactics are frequently irresponsible.

Perhaps one day he'll snap and just go totally the other way, making shows like "Jamie's High-Fat-and-Sodium Lunchboxes", "Jamie's Go On, Have Another Pack of Biscuits", or "Jamie and the Remaining One Of The Two Fat Ladies' Full English Fry-Up Pizza Burgers For Every Meal Diet" in an effort to kill off the ungrateful people he's been trying to help. Sadly it'd probably be the first time these people listened to him...

Well, there is another possibility...

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:
The new series of Lead Balloon is up on iPlayer.

On a sidenote:

Sion posted:

The guy's not selling anything illegal or inherently terrible for you if eaten in moderation (as far as I know - I haven't watched the show and, as such, don't know if he's not like... cutting it with rat poison or anything but I'm firmly in JAFO territory) and it's entirely down to the user what they want to do with it. Should Talisker stop selling whiskey because of liver failure? Should Evian stop selling bottled water because if you down 8 litres of that stuff in one sitting you'll probably die of water intoxication? Should shops refuse to carry Sunny Delight because you'll turn yourself into the loving tango man if you nosh down a gallon of it in a day?

It's obvious that eating a XL King Meal from burger king every other day is gonna gently caress you up big time. It is not like healthy eating information is in short supply and it's not like a pound of beef slathered in mayo and cheese being bad for you is going to come as a big loving surprise.

That's what capitalism and freedom-of-choice taste like: Salad, chicken breast and the occasional burger.

That being said, Kubrik had to put a lock on Brando's fridge. Maybe Jamie could give that another whack?

Nobody has a right to sell anything unless the consumer is in full knowledge of the impact of his choice. Since we lack an effective education system that provides all adults and children from birth with the knowledge required to navigate their lives as consumers, there should be an onus on those with that knowledge (the provider) to assess the risks of their produce, preferably with government intervention through legislation to protect the consumer.

Capitalism and freedom of choice taste of 20% unemployment, skyhigh debt, toffs in power, and a freedom to choose from six different types of similar beans.

Also, we are all capable of arguing into logical absurdities being progeny of the country that invented Question Time, so don't do that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Let stupid people kill themselves.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

ChuckDHead posted:

I was in school during his original crusade, and afterward scolarest (I think that's the name) only served chips once every week. Every other day we had deep fried potato circles, which somehow don't count as chips. We also still had salt in everything. Also the sixth form students set up a highly lucrative shop just outside the school grounds, selling everything else that was banned. I'm not sure what the solution is, but like most other times just banning something doesn't mean it will go away.

Also most of the nutrition and health advice we got at school was about 45 years out of date.

On topic, it's nice to see some really good films on iPlayer; the perfect distraction from revision.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I wished I had been in school during the original crusade. For my entire 7 years in secondary (plus Sixth Form) education, our canteen sold a combination of pizza and chips, sausage and chips, pie and chips, beans and chips or well, chips and chips. The only drinks available were cartons of full sugar juice or milkshake, and then you could have about 10 different types of cake for dessert.

Once, I spied a salad to one side in a bowl and when I asked about having it (with chips, naturally), the serving lady pulled an aghast face and said, "...but those are normally for the teachers."

Although the best part of the situation was that most people took packed lunches (because of the dire food situation) but it was impossible to get a seat in the dining room as those seats were prioritised for those eating school dinners. So we took to eating our sandwiches outside, but you were then given a detention for eating food outside of the dining room during lunchtime which was prohibited.

So until we became prefects / Sixth Formers and could walk off premises and eat in town, we had to eat our lunches at our 11am break, scoffing it down whilst standing up in 15 minutes flat - which meant we were really restricted in what we could have in our lunchboxes.

Absolutely ridiculous on so many levels. I feel for Jamie, because he seems really genuine and people just aren't interested in listening.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

John_Anon_Smith posted:

Nobody has a right to sell anything unless the consumer is in full knowledge of the impact of his choice. Since we lack an effective education system that provides all adults and children from birth with the knowledge required to navigate their lives as consumers, there should be an onus on those with that knowledge (the provider) to assess the risks of their produce, preferably with government intervention through legislation to protect the consumer.

Capitalism and freedom of choice taste of 20% unemployment, skyhigh debt, toffs in power, and a freedom to choose from six different types of similar beans.

Also, we are all capable of arguing into logical absurdities being progeny of the country that invented Question Time, so don't do that.

We lack an education system that will tell zygotic humans that they're going to have to make purchasing decisions later on in their existences, you are correct. That is where parents (hopefully) come in to the equation. Until such a time as a person is capable of making the decision their parents (not the government) should make decisions for them or nudge them in the 'right' direction.

The provider has been handing out knowledge like it was going out of style. If you type Healthy Eating into google you get (in the first 10 results) 10 results on healthy eating guides, guidelines on what's good for you, bad for you and indifferent towards your dietary requirements. Five of those sites are operated by the government. None of them (weirdly) are operated by McDonalds but it's not like there's a massive information shortfall out there and people are being intentionally kept in the dark by evil corporations.

It's up to the people to make their choices. Most of the people I know are fairly well informed on the matter. They know that a 4 litre bottle of cider, a huge loving fish supper every night and having the only exercise they take be waddling over to the refrigerator is, you know, a pretty solid way to get yourself a stroke by the time you're 35. This is not information that's being hidden from them in the hope that they become Wall-E like amorphous masses of flesh and gastric bands.

On the other hand I just noticed you put two spaces in after your full stops. That is true gentlemanly class.

edit - Just so it's clear, I kind of agree with you. The dude was basically facilitating a heart attack. He shouldn't take that poo poo off his menu but he should probably say 'uhh... are you sure?'

Then again if he did that he would get sued for totally meaning "FAT FAT FAT FATTY FAT FAT FATTERSON"

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Testro posted:

Absolutely ridiculous on so many levels. I feel for Jamie, because he seems really genuine and people just aren't interested in listening.

They're not just uninterested, they're actively angry that he dare suggest they're not doing themselves or their kids any favours in the long run. The idea of parents smuggling McDonalds through schoolgates to help their kids fight the tyranny of actual food would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

"Here you go, Junior, cram your arteries with this! We'll show that Jamie Oliver!" :argh:

Worse still, some of his detractors employ the delightfully British tradition of declaring class war, believing that this actually affects the validity of the message "stop feeding your kids poo poo because they will die or have their quality of life severely impacted upon". I wasn't aware that it was some dreadfully middle class thing to want your kids to live past 40.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 1, 2011

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

ChuckDHead posted:

Worse still, some of his detractors employ the delightfully British tradition of declaring class war, believing that this actually affects the validity of the message "stop feeding your kids poo poo because they will die or have their quality of life severely impacted upon". I wasn't aware that it was some dreadfully middle class thing to want your kids to live past 40.

Education is one thing, acting like you're a missionary preaching to sub-humans is something else entirely.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Watching Panorama on iPlayer now and my loving God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Zorba the Greek posted:

Watching Panorama on iPlayer now and my loving God.

I only heard bits of it on Five Live this morning and good loving god. Not sure if I can watch the whole program.