Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think I could bear the unending Sims accessory kits if it meant seeing Sim City, Sim Ant, Sim Farm, Sim Earth, Sim City 2000, Sim City 4...

But it isn't going to be EA.

e: Also, I realize that Square Enix not being the new publisher doesn't necessarily rule them out in the future, but gently caress them anyway for sitting on top of the Eidos gold mine. Thief, Startopia, Omikron... dammit.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

glug posted:

You got a death wish, or are you really this stupid?

edit: can't wait

edit2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upUw1xjaLA8&t=197s

seriously.

Dude! just use Quen!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Also hoping for Thief, also disappointed.

But hey, it could still be EA, wh-:suicide: ok, I can't even type that with a straight face.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

C'mon, grey out 2K next. :pray: Lucas or EA would be sensational, either one of them.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
This is actually pretty clever, if GOG is doing what I think they're doing.

They show all 5 of the hold-out companies (one of which they already have a deal with) and let the internet go nuts talking about all the games they want to buy again. Posts on their forums, posts on other forums, talk on Facebook, talk on Twitter, emails, etc. Then after the reveal, GOG can scoop up all this very specific evidence of consumer interest and wave it in front of the other four companies' noses as bait.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Anyone ever revamp outlaws for modern systems? I loved the game, but holy cow, it didn't age well. It wasn't even really well aged at the time, but it was fun and I loved the style. Hated the enemies and their insane AI, they either ignored everything or sniped you from miles away.

Looking forward to the announcement, hoping beyond hope they go crazy and announce all 5 are the new publishers.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Zat posted:

C'mon, grey out 2K next. :pray: Lucas or EA would be sensational, either one of them.

It would be nice if LucasArts finally decided that they didn't hate making money for nothing from more of their old games after all.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

Anyone ever revamp outlaws for modern systems? I loved the game, but holy cow, it didn't age well. It wasn't even really well aged at the time, but it was fun and I loved the style. Hated the enemies and their insane AI, they either ignored everything or sniped you from miles away.

Looking forward to the announcement, hoping beyond hope they go crazy and announce all 5 are the new publishers.

The Dark Forces source port DarkXL is going to support Outlaws too, IIRC.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

AxeManiac posted:

The answer is no and gog will save us. Just keep the songs stuck in your head and wait for the day that we can run a game on our quad cores that was designed when a 200mhz pentium was the top of the line processor available.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Robot Hobo posted:

This is actually pretty clever, if GOG is doing what I think they're doing.

They show all 5 of the hold-out companies (one of which they already have a deal with) and let the internet go nuts talking about all the games they want to buy again. Posts on their forums, posts on other forums, talk on Facebook, talk on Twitter, emails, etc. Then after the reveal, GOG can scoop up all this very specific evidence of consumer interest and wave it in front of the other four companies' noses as bait.

All this marketing data over which titles should immediately be released on GOG for notable returns. Hell, I wonder if the SquareEnix guys will be swayed considering their 150million in losses... every cent counts right now.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

glug posted:

The answer is no and gog will save us. Just keep the songs stuck in your head and wait for the day that we can run a game on our quad cores that was designed when a 200mhz pentium was the top of the line processor available.

To help with that stuck-in-the-head bit, http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/

I mean I've never even played the game and I still love Outlaw's soundtrack.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Robot Hobo posted:

Then after the reveal, GOG can scoop up all this very specific evidence of consumer interest and wave it in front of the other four companies' noses as bait.

If this is what they are going to do all is forgiven, because this is indeed an ingenious tactic.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

AxeManiac posted:

Anyone ever revamp outlaws for modern systems?

http://xlengine.com/

It's pretty slow-going, but worth keeping an eye on.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's going to be EA and 25 sports games from 1997-2001 (no pre-3d games because they were great).

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Plus for good measure they'll throw in an emulator and Shaq Fu.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
You'd hope if it was EA they'd let them sell the good games instead of the generic poo poo that gets churned out to sell to 13 year old girls. I know I've said it before but: Ultima would be nice :)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ If it were EA, frankly, Ultima would be pretty far down the list for me. Look at some of the other stuff they're sitting on:
  • Origin Systems
  • Wing Commander
  • Crusader
  • CyberMage
  • Looking Glass Studios
  • System Shock
  • Ultima Underworld
  • Strike Force Centauri
  • Flight Unlimited
  • Bullfrog
  • Dungeon Keeper
  • Magic Carpet
  • Syndicate
  • Populous
  • Maxis
  • SimEverything
  • Westwood
  • Dune
  • Command and Conquer
  • Legend of Kyrandia
  • Lands of Lore

In conclusion, gently caress EA with a rusty backhoe, because realistically they'd rather stab themselves in the collective groin than do anything nice like releasing these games on GOG.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I'm still dreaming that it will be EA. I think they're the least likely of the remaining three, but I'm still pulling for it.

I actually like some of Lucasarts' games more, but at least Steam has some of their legacy titles like Monkey Island, KOTOR, LOOM, etc.

EA meanwhile has none of their classic stuff available for e-distribution ANYWHERE.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Man I could go for Strike Commander, I believe the name was. Basically Wing Commander but with F16s. I have a version of it somewhere on CD but can't be bothered to actually make it work.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Man I could go for Strike Commander, I believe the name was. Basically Wing Commander but with F16s. I have a version of it somewhere on CD but can't be bothered to actually make it work.
Yeah that's Strike Commander, and it owns. It's not too hard to setup DOSBox to play it either.

Also the music was great.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Are the broken sword games Lucasarts style, or Sierra style?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Amethyst posted:

Are the broken sword games Lucasarts style, or Sierra style?

You can't gently caress yourself over (well, you could in 1 by running out of money, I think), but you can die in some situations. More LucasArts than Sierra in that regard.

I think the death animations were removed for the director's cut editions.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I have literally never heard of these games before now oh god have I been missing something important? :ohdear:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Meldonox posted:

I have literally never heard of these games before now oh god have I been missing something important? :ohdear:

Broken Sword?

Probably. The first two games are some of the best adventure titles produced since the Lucasarts golden era. Get 'em while they're super cheap.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The Dark Forces source port DarkXL is going to support Outlaws too, IIRC.

They've been working on it for half a year since they announced that. I wanna play a blood sourceport! I hate playing fps games through dosbox.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Seconding this. It was like Ace Combat for the 90s, minus the 50 million missile loadout. It's a massive tragedy that the idea for a flight sim-lite never caught on.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Seconding this. It was like Ace Combat for the 90s, minus the 50 million missile loadout. It's a massive tragedy that the idea for a flight sim-lite never caught on.
I was going to link the Thirdwire Productions website with their Strike Fighters 2 game here but the site seems to be down so I'll just say that their Strike Fighters series of games while a much more realistic than Strike Commander (it's more along the lines of the old Jane's USAF/ATF games) is still very much a Flight Sim-Lite and are very, very fun.

I agree though that I wish the idea of Flight Sim-Lites caught on; they're a rare breed in a genre that already has pretty slim pickings.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I actually have Wings over Vietnam from Third Wire :) I take her out for a spin every time I catch Flight of the Intruder on the TV. Did they ever make a game with a more contemporary setting though? My big pet peeve is the lack of CCIP-equipped planes.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

macnbc posted:

Broken Sword?

Probably. The first two games are some of the best adventure titles produced since the Lucasarts golden era. Get 'em while they're super cheap.

Ugh, I already have all 3 on Steam. Don't need them again, but I'd legitimately have originals and updates that way.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I actually have Wings over Vietnam from Third Wire :) I take her out for a spin every time I catch Flight of the Intruder on the TV. Did they ever make a game with a more contemporary setting though? My big pet peeve is the lack of CCIP-equipped planes.
The furthest the series goes is 1979 with Wings over Europe/Strike Fighters 2: Europe. You get to play with A-10s and the original model F-15s and be a bad enough dude to stop the Soviets from crossing the Fulda. The next expansion planned is focused on the F-14 if I recall correctly.

Also, don't the later model A-7s have CCIP?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Everyone's favourite French DRMless games site DotEmu is giving away 5 free games each day this week to celebrate their anniversary.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Flatout 2, Litil Divil, Cossacks, American Conquest, ORB, Post Mortem, Robin Hood, Aliens Vs Predator, Atlantis, Guilty Gear Isuka...

They probably got some sort of exclusive rights from the publishers to sell those but I wish GOG had them as well :(

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I was talking to the GOG PR dude TheEnigmaticT a couple of weeks ago in the #GOG channel and he said they had more Funbox games in the pipeline, so I'd at least expect Guilty Gear Isuka and Litil Divil to arrive sometime.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Blodskur posted:

Everyone's favourite French DRMless games site DotEmu is giving away 5 free games each day this week to celebrate their anniversary.

Not a particularly impressive five, but it won't stop me from adding them to my (new) account.

Warzone 2100 is a bit moot, though, as the source code and game resources were officially released so that open-source development of the game can proceed, and it's shaping up excellently.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 1, 2011

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Blodskur posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Always enjoy getting free games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

With Microsoft out of the way this is a win-win scenario. I don't even see EA/2K/LucasArts, I see System Shock/Alpha Centauri/Grim Fandango. I don't even care who's officially announced because it's all going to be good regardless.

Unless that nightmare scenario is brought up and we get The Sims, The Sims Vacation, The Sims Feel the Magic, The Sims Pets, The Sims Backyard Wrestling, The Sims Sit In Front of the TV, The Sims...

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blodskur posted:

I was talking to the GOG PR dude TheEnigmaticT a couple of weeks ago in the #GOG channel and he said they had more Funbox games in the pipeline, so I'd at least expect Guilty Gear Isuka and Litil Divil to arrive sometime.

Cool. :)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm...BioWare guy Jeff Skalski's tweet from yesterday: "Wonder what's up with this countdown on GOG.com? #soexcited".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Blodskur posted:

Hmmm...BioWare guy Jeff Skalski's tweet from yesterday: "Wonder what's up with this countdown on GOG.com? #soexcited".
If he knows something, it could point out to any of the 3 publishers. Bioware is with EA, 2K publishes Jade Empire and Lucasarts publishes KoTOR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The MSJ posted:

If he knows something, it could point out to any of the 3 publishers. Bioware is with EA, 2K publishes Jade Empire and Lucasarts publishes KoTOR.

He might just be someone who really likes old games.