Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Zool posted:

I'd go for one of these (KTM 625 SMC)over the DRZ, you actually have to check the valves more than once a decade, but the extra power and handling is worth it. The vibration, well that's still up for debate.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/2357785373.html

I like the KTMs, and I've been actively looking for one for a while, but they're very hard to find around here. Grand Rapids isn't really close enough for me, but that is a sharp bike.

edit: I take that back, GR isn't THAT far for me (2.5hrs). I still have the ever-present problem of needing to wrangle someone with a truck to come with me on these kinds of trips though.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I got my 434 drz going after the terrible engine explosion and after properly riding it the last week I am comfortable saying that it is the most fun and best bike I've ever had. In corners it's amazing, in town it's so much fun and it doesn't suck on the highway either. I am falling in love :)

I think my next bike will be a 690smc just because, but that won't be for a while. Z3n, how do you like yours compared to a kitted out drz400sm?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrZig posted:

I got my 434 drz going after the terrible engine explosion and after properly riding it the last week I am comfortable saying that it is the most fun and best bike I've ever had. In corners it's amazing, in town it's so much fun and it doesn't suck on the highway either. I am falling in love :)

I think my next bike will be a 690smc just because, but that won't be for a while. Z3n, how do you like yours compared to a kitted out drz400sm?

The 690 to the DRZ is like the difference between the 848 and an SV650. They do all the same things, but the 848 does everything better. I put about 75 miles of offroad and ~100 miles of road on the 690 today and there is no bike I'd rather own. Other bikes in addition, sure, but there is no replacement for the 690 in my book. It's the best street supermoto made, dripping with Brembo, Megura, WP, etc.

I'll end up tweaking it here and there, but as a complete package it is without equal.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Damnit, you're not helping my resolve to not buy the 690 enduro and a sumo set of wheels. :smith:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Quick question. Should the seat height be very similar for a 400SM compared to the street legal dirt version? I'm going to have a chance to ride my friends dualsport this weekend and always wondered about the seat height being a short guy. I'm sure it would be fine but just turning my bike around and poo poo now is a pain sometimes even with a lower seat height.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

dreesemonkey posted:

Quick question. Should the seat height be very similar for a 400SM compared to the street legal dirt version? I'm going to have a chance to ride my friends dualsport this weekend and always wondered about the seat height being a short guy. I'm sure it would be fine but just turning my bike around and poo poo now is a pain sometimes even with a lower seat height.

I'm not tall and I ride a ridiculously tall bike (SMC), it just takes getting used to. Sumo/Dirt bikes generally have slim seats so it's easy to shuffle a buttock off the seat and get a foot squarely on the ground.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dreesemonkey posted:

The E/S model is about 2 inches taller due to the taller rims.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Put some race takeoff dragon supercorsas on the DRZ today then took it for a spin. SO awesome having decent rubber. Wheelies stoppies and backing it in are all way easier now. Also did a short rip on dirt and hey have tons of grip on the rough stuff. So happy! :D

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I want to thank this thread for the advice on the Conti Force SM tires. So far they own. Sticking this bike into corners is serious fun now.

Another question I have is if there is any thing I can do to make my bike quieter. The pipe thats on the bike now is a straight through dirt pipe and its the loudest thing Ive ever heard. I swear straight pipe harleys are quieter than this bike.

Curious if there are silencer I can put into the pipe, or maybe I can pull it apart and re-pack it? It looks like the rivtis come out fairly easy and I suspect most of the packing material inside the can has vanished after all the poping and backfiring my bike used to do.

Also minor heads up. http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com has all the white plastics for a DRZ in stock now. I just put an order in and am kinda excited to get them. Bikes gonna look so clean when its done up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Who makes the pipe?

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I think I might have answered my own question when I googled the pipes name :downs:

http://www.jardineproducts.com/products/sfID1/7/sfID2/8/sfID3/5

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Took the drz for a logging road adventure today. Went about 40 km and hit speeds of 105 kph on dirt. Suspension just soaks it up. Went on some tight trails and the torque is wonderful. Going up hill in first I can just let it idle it's way up. It's so light, off road is a blast. And this is all with race takeoff dot legal asphalt tires.

After the logging road I hit some nice paved twisties on my way home. God, this bike does everything, I love it so much. :)

Supermoto way of life

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Woot I tamed the beast, got electric start working.

On a more serious note - what's the highest speed I should be able to clutch wheelie my drz? In 3rd gear the highest speed I can do it where it brings it up appreciably is around 50-55 kph, or 30 mph. This is with a 434, fcr 39, yoshi rs-3 and 3x3 mod. Does that seem slow? Seems like it doesn't have a lot of mid- top end torque.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What's your gearing?

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Soooo... FCR39 worth it?

I've been slightly hesitant in picking it up for the DRZ but now I'm on the US side of the border for a few weeks so I can save shipping/duty/UPS rapeage, and on top of that the currency conversion works out in my favour for once...

I've read varying opinions on TT, some say it's like a new bike and some complain it doesn't really add any power.

Yay or Nay?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Niven posted:

Soooo... FCR39 worth it?

I've been slightly hesitant in picking it up for the DRZ but now I'm on the US side of the border for a few weeks so I can save shipping/duty/UPS rapeage, and on top of that the currency conversion works out in my favour for once...

I've read varying opinions on TT, some say it's like a new bike and some complain it doesn't really add any power.

Yay or Nay?

Adds a small amount of power across the board but an amazing increase in throttle response, especially if you get the right jetting for your setup. I wouldn't want to ride a DRZ without one, personally, as it needs all the help it can get.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Is it normal for sumo brakes to suck compared to sportbikes? The harder I'm on the Husky's front brakes the more they disappoint (i.e. can't stoppie). They are brembos too. :confused:

Also some fat lady turned in front of me today and while I was able to stop I would've have double the space that if I was on my Ninja. I bled and flushed them over the winter because they were disappointing last year too (the pads have plenty of life left). It gets better if I'm on the rear at the same time, but it really needs a light touch to not lock up when I'm hard on the front.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Is it normal for sumo brakes to suck compared to sportbikes? The harder I'm on the Husky's front brakes the more they disappoint (i.e. can't stoppie). They are brembos too. :confused:

Also some fat lady turned in front of me today and while I was able to stop I would've have double the space that if I was on my Ninja. I bled and flushed them over the winter because they were disappointing last year too (the pads have plenty of life left). It gets better if I'm on the rear at the same time, but it really needs a light touch to not lock up when I'm hard on the front.

Your pads are toast, or your calipers/MC need to be rebuilt, or your rotor needs to be cleaned with brake cleaner/media blasted. Every Sumo I've ever ridden with a working braking system has been able to pull stoppies easily.

Pad thickness isn't a good indicator of pad quality, either. They could have gotten glazed over, or they could just be lovely pads. Are you getting a firm lever but not a lot of braking power? I'd look at the pads first, maybe try sanding them down to bring some life back into them.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

Your pads are toast, or your calipers/MC need to be rebuilt, or your rotor needs to be cleaned with brake cleaner/media blasted. Every Sumo I've ever ridden with a working braking system has been able to pull stoppies easily.

Pad thickness isn't a good indicator of pad quality, either. They could have gotten glazed over, or they could just be lovely pads. Are you getting a firm lever but not a lot of braking power? I'd look at the pads first, maybe try sanding them down to bring some life back into them.

Yeah, firm lever, feels like it should, but the braking power isn't there. I'm still missing that rotor button too, though I don't see how that would make any difference. The original owner only put like 1k miles on it, so the pads are the originals.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah, firm lever, feels like it should, but the braking power isn't there. I'm still missing that rotor button too, though I don't see how that would make any difference. The original owner only put like 1k miles on it, so the pads are the originals.

Pads are probably glazed from never being bedded in properly.

Z3n posted:

Take the pads off, sand them down on something flat (sandpaper on a glass sheet or window works well), and then go bed them in. Everyone has a different technique and way of doing it, I get on the freeway and drag the brake progressively harder for 10 seconds or so, and then let off for 30 seconds or so and repeat until they start to feel good, usually 3-6 repetitions is enough.

Still haven't found a replacement rotor button?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Why is a 690 SMC so hard to find in the tri-state area? This is ridiculous. Might have to go the new route next year. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Why is a 690 SMC so hard to find in the tri-state area. This is ridiculous. Might have to go the new route next year. :(

690 SMCs are hard to find period. Thankfully, shipping a bike is getting easier thanks to options like uship.com.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

Pads are probably glazed from never being bedded in properly.

Still haven't found a replacement rotor button?

Yeah I looked around for awhile and just gave up after repeatedly being offered $300 rotors. I'd be willing to spend it if I wasn't still unemployed. And I still have the other nine.

The bedding makes sense since I was never too hard on the brakes until recently. I'll try that first before I do anything else. Maybe by the tenth squeeze I'll be floating the rear. :)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Z3n posted:

690 SMCs are hard to find period. Thankfully, shipping a bike is getting easier thanks to options like uship.com.

Looking on KTM's site there's like no dealers in NJ even. About to hit up that guy that was asking $7500 and see if he'll let it go for 6k.

He's actually got a thread on ADV http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673092

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

KidDynamite posted:

Looking on KTM's site there's like no dealers in NJ even. About to hit up that guy that was asking $7500 and see if he'll let it go for 6k.

He's actually got a thread on ADV http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673092

I shipped mine from FL to NJ. Find one anywhere; ship it here.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

laymil posted:

I shipped mine from FL to NJ. Find one anywhere; ship it here.

What site did you find it on?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah I looked around for awhile and just gave up after repeatedly being offered $300 rotors. I'd be willing to spend it if I wasn't still unemployed. And I still have the other nine.

The bedding makes sense since I was never too hard on the brakes until recently. I'll try that first before I do anything else. Maybe by the tenth squeeze I'll be floating the rear. :)

I can attest that a Husky SMR with properly working brakes should have no trouble lifting the rear wheel off the ground, and launching you over the bars, and smashing your collar bone into pieces. And I have the previous generation of lug mount Brembo caliper, not the new radial hotness.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Zool posted:

I can attest that a Husky SMR with properly working brakes should have no trouble lifting the rear wheel off the ground, and launching you over the bars, and smashing your collar bone into pieces. And I have the previous generation of lug mount Brembo caliper, not the new radial hotness.

Yeah and it's supposed to wheelie in third and it barely does in second. Maybe I got some kinda underachiever here.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
What have I done...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

What have I done...

Lost your licence.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

What have I done...

Supported the supermoto industry by purchasing a KTM? :v:

I've always wanted to ride one of those. Very jealous, good bike :)

Gnaghi, wheelies are one of those things...Spiff could power up the KTM in gears up to 4th, I prefer to use the clutch to get it to lift and 4th gear is hit or miss while I'm on flat ground, if I don't get the technique, timing, and body positioning right, it doesn't make it to balance point. I wouldn't hold wheelies as the end all of power...smooth power can make it harder to wheelie despite the bike being faster.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I also own this little guy, It decided that the timing chain wasn't necessary... It will run again some day :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I also own this little guy, It decided that the timing chain wasn't necessary... It will run again some day :smith:

:(

What are your plans for it? Bored out engine? :haw:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Hadn't thought about a big bore kit. I never got around to pulling the head the see if there was some valve/piston lovin. Its just on the backburner for now.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

KidDynamite posted:

What site did you find it on?

Ebay.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
fcr39mx kit, case savers, SS braided brake line on the way...

Now I just need to order those distanzias and maybe I can stop spending money on this thing.

edit: just wanted to point out that thumper talk really does have great service, I accidentally ordered the rear brake line and they swapped it out no problem, even suggesting a $20 cheaper line I didn't even notice.

Niven fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 7, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats everyones thoughts on the WR250X? How do they compare to the other perennially "low HP supermoto" the DRZ?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I know two things:

1) They can rip up a SM track

2) After buying a YZ250F, I can only imagine how much fun it would be in SM trim

That said...

I'd probably pass on that. 250 is small for the street, and 5 gears again...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

I know two things:

1) They can rip up a SM track

2) After buying a YZ250F, I can only imagine how much fun it would be in SM trim

That said...

I'd probably pass on that. 250 is small for the street, and 5 gears again...

They have 6 gears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

D'oh!

I stand by the idea that I probably wouldn't buy one over a DRZ. A well modded DRZ is an all around better bike I think.

But I mean... if you're not man enough for a 690...

Sure

• Locked thread