Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

So I neglected to share this earlier, but I am now a job-haver.* Or I will be, once I pass the bar. Since bar review has started I should probably start caring about watching the lectures online.

* All it takes is inspiration, drive, and the willingness to live in the middle of nowhere. Never let paltry concerns like money get in the way of your dreams, chase the dream and the money will follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

yronic heroism posted:

So I neglected to share this earlier, but I am now a job-haver.* Or I will be, once I pass the bar. Since bar review has started I should probably start caring about watching the lectures online.

* All it takes is inspiration, drive, and the willingness to live in the middle of nowhere. Never let paltry concerns like money get in the way of your dreams, chase the dream and the money will follow.

Hey congrats.

I start work in a few hours weeeeee!

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Today is my two year anniversary - I haven't been able to find a paying legal job for two years. Very, very depressed.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Are you still going back to school? Embrace leaving law behind and celebrate!

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
As bad as the legal market is, 4+ years to completely change my profession, and to pay for that privilege, is not viable at this time. I want to be able to pay for kids some day before my mating unit's ovaries atrophy.

Edit: I am making alright money investing, but its too unstable to start a family.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 31, 2011

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Well in 4 years you could be 6 years without a paying legal job and then what?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Macnigore posted:

Stuff

Thanks for sharing this. It's...interesting.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Residency Evil posted:

I hate to break up the med student hate circle, but not all of us think this way?

But I wouldn't expect a bunch of ambulance chasing money grubbing lawyers to get that. :v: (That's a joke).

Doesn't exist -- you need to have a job to be an ambulance chasing money grubbing lawyer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Diplomaticus posted:

Doesn't exist -- you need to have a job to be an ambulance chasing money grubbing lawyer.
Stop rubbing it in.
Go move to Kazakhstan and diplomate or whatever you job having diplomats do and leave us to our debt and living with mom.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
:ohdear: I'm somehow interviewing for my dream articling position next week and I don't even care that it probably won't start for another loving year and I'll somehow have to stay alive until then. Someone needs to slap me and tell me this will all end in tears.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Of course I get the highest grade in the class that doesn't have the A+ this semester. gently caress.

Gunner problems.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
you go to a school that gives a+

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Reading a piece about the deficit limit and this gem sticks out:

The federal government might also sell excess federal property, eliminate tax loopholes for oil companies, implement tort reform and auction spectrum licenses.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/31/news/economy/debt_ceiling_cuts/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

How on earth is that a deficit problem?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Might be an expansion of sovereign immunity or the like, or just an idiot reporter.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

evilweasel posted:

Might be an expansion of sovereign immunity or the like, or just an idiot reporter.

The CBO claims that tort reform would lower malpractice insurance costs which would lower federal health spending.

I am somewhat skeptical.

vvvvv: Seriously, dude, the idea is lowering health care costs: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/738839

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 1, 2011

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Roger_Mudd posted:

The federal government might also sell excess federal property, eliminate tax loopholes for oil companies, implement tort reform and auction spectrum licenses.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/31/news/economy/debt_ceiling_cuts/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

Might be some form of government claims act that limits the amount recoverable from the government on a tort or contract. We have a local government one here, limits claims to 300k, I don't think there's a comparable one for the federal government.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

hypocrite lecteur posted:

I already have a 45k/year job lined up after law school. That's less than my yearly tuition.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuckas. Shitlaw for life.

Deadly Premonition LP is wrapping up. What should I watch next? Prussian? :allears:

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003
People who have made it through BarBri - how much of this work did you guys actually do? I'm a couple of weeks behind because of finals and it seems like it's going to take an inhuman amount of work to catch all the way up if I do everything they ask, especially considering our graduation is next weekend.

This plus the fact that a buddy of mine just found out he passed the California Bar after a weekend of study (granted he was a CoA clerk) is leading me to believe I can skip a whole ton of it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bathing Jesus posted:

People who have made it through BarBri - how much of this work did you guys actually do? I'm a couple of weeks behind because of finals and it seems like it's going to take an inhuman amount of work to catch all the way up if I do everything they ask, especially considering our graduation is next weekend.

This plus the fact that a buddy of mine just found out he passed the California Bar after a weekend of study (granted he was a CoA clerk) is leading me to believe I can skip a whole ton of it.

I didn't take the barbri course, but I did self-study off the previous year's materials. Basically I did do all of the studying, in that I went through all the conviser review materials and the lecture handouts (filled in by the person I got the books from god bless her) and made flash cards, but I definitely did not do anywhere near the amount of practice tests that the course probably requires, especially in the essay department (it's super difficult to be motivated when you have to grade them yourself).

I passed, but it was in MA, which is something over 90% I think so iunno if that helps.

I also bought way too many index cards. I took the bar in '09 and I'm still using the blank ones as coasters. I suppose I should just buy a real coaster, but I dunno, I still feel an obligation to keep it real, even though I have a job now

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bathing Jesus posted:

First time I did BarBri I half-assed it and didn't pass the exam. Second time I did what BarBri told me to do, even though it was boring and tedious, and passed a much tougher bar than the one I failed on the first go round.

Do what BarBri tells you, to the letter, or as much as you can force yourself to do, and you'll feel just fine when the bar exam rolls around.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Pretty much every professor at every school gives an A+ for booking the class. I'd be pretty pissed too. Actually, I'm pissed because I got a B+ and my GPA went down by .14. Here's to hoping my three remaining classes come out As (or A+s)...

Maybe I'll pull a JR and do the 4.0 --> 3.0 move like a boss.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I didn't know there were schools that kept going after BarBri started. Or are you taking one last summer course?

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omerta posted:

Pretty much every professor at every school gives an A+ for booking the class. I'd be pretty pissed too. Actually, I'm pissed because I got a B+ and my GPA went down by .14. Here's to hoping my three remaining classes come out As (or A+s)...

Maybe I'll pull a JR and do the 4.0 --> 3.0 move like a boss.

I don't know what basically any of this post means. God speed you and guide you on your quest

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Green Crayons posted:

I already have a 45k/year job lined up after law school. That's less than my yearly tuition.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuckas. Shitlaw for life.

Deadly Premonition LP is wrapping up. What should I watch next? Prussian? :allears:

Find the "Scotsman in Egypt" LP of Medieval II: Total War that Jerusalem did a few years ago.

Here:
http://lparchive.org/A-Scotsman-In-Egypt/

this'll take you awhile.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

MaximumBob posted:

The CBO claims that tort reform would lower malpractice insurance costs which would lower federal health spending.

I am somewhat skeptical.

vvvvv: Seriously, dude, the idea is lowering health care costs: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/738839

"But even large savings in premiums can have only a small direct impact on health care spending--private or governmental--because malpractice costs account for less than 2 percent of that spending"

http://www.cbo.gov/doc.cfm?index=4968&type=0

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Green Crayons posted:

In terms of current ones, Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus' MGS4, especially if you haven't played it already yet.

If you're planning to take Abugadu's advice and sort through the lp archive (good advice imo), and you're looking for a quality video LP, they don't really get any better than this one. I've actually never read Scotsman in Egypt.

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 1, 2011

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Solomon Grundy posted:

"But even large savings in premiums can have only a small direct impact on health care spending--private or governmental--because malpractice costs account for less than 2 percent of that spending"

http://www.cbo.gov/doc.cfm?index=4968&type=0

Like I said, I don't think it's a good way to lower health care costs. I was just clarifying that that article really did mean tort reform.

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
I'm not applying just curious,

Say two students with a 178 LSAT apply to Harvard, will the 4.0 GPA in polisci from an undergrad in the middle of nowhere be favored over a 3.8 polisci from Princeton ?

To what extent is overall GPA favored over undergrad "prestige" ?

Macnigore fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 1, 2011

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

:ohdear: I'm somehow interviewing for my dream articling position next week and I don't even care that it probably won't start for another loving year and I'll somehow have to stay alive until then. Someone needs to slap me and tell me this will all end in tears.

Good luck! I got turned down by the municipal government for an interview. I make it to the final round for a court clerkship and I get rejected for an interview by the municipal government? This world doesn't make sense.

I just find it slightly hilarious that my bottom of the list didn't even want to interview me.

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

Macnigore posted:

Say two students with a 178 LSAT apply to Harvard, will the 4.0 GPA in polisci from an undergrad in the middle of nowhere be favored over a 3.8 polisci from Princeton ?

All other things being completely equal, both of these candidates would be admitted to Harvard. To answer your question more directly though, my understanding is that schools do tend to give preference to elite undergrads, but I doubt it is so much as to constitute a full 0.2 in GPA. It will probably make a difference with borderline candidates, but I doubt there are many circumstances in which one's undergrad boosts them from a non-admit to an admit (though this may be slightly less true if the undergrad is the same as the law school).

quotison
Dec 29, 2005

don't hit your head

Macnigore posted:

There's no 'ivy league = 0.2 GPA' formula or whatever, but to be sure, LSAT and GPA are overwhelmingly the predominant factors in determining law school admissions. That doesn't mean that soft factors, including undergrad prestige, don't count, but they don't count for that much, and it's hard to quantify how much they do count for.

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC
Defleshed, if you're looking at this thread still, i can't pm because I'm a cheapass, can you shoot me an email at goonianal AT&T gmail dot com? I'll buy you a beer just to chat one day. I have to get out there, but in working a zillion hours. Again, thanks.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Macnigore posted:

I was accepted at HLS with a much lower LSAT and I attended an absolutely "in the middle of nowhere" undergrad, at least as far as HLS is probably concerned. I've read HYSP undergrads get a decent bump in admissions, but nobody else really does. However, a vast majority of the few hundred admitted students did attend top 50 or so universities, but that seems mostly correlation between successful university students having also been successful high school students, and thus they were admitted to quality universities.

Also, and I know it bucks the trend to make this claim, but my experience indicates that HLS likes the geographical diversity soft quite a bit. Given the large class size, HLS likes to be able to say it includes individuals from all 50 states, or close to it. I have the feeling I'm the only person from my state who applied to HLS, and if I had to guess, I feel like that gave an HYSP-level bump. Obviously this doesn't really apply if your middle of nowhere undergrad is in a state like California or Illinois or something, though.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Roger_Mudd posted:

God I hope they mean tort reform to increase punitive damages, which States (at least my State) take 50% of.

Bathing Jesus posted:

You're paying a lot of money to take BarBri. Do you have a job lined up already? If you have a job lined up, not only is it really really embarrassing but it could lose you that precious precious job if you fail. If you don't have a job, do you really want to spend three more months after you fail re-studying?

Do it all. Spend 8 hours a day at a desk. Pretend it's a job. You're the one who went to U Chicago or something? Illinois has an ~80% passage rate. That's not particularly low, but it's not particularly high either.

I did it all. 8 hours a day, six days a week, and took one of the hardest bars in the country. It felt like just another practice exam and I passed without a hitch. If you are "several weeks behind" then you have a big problem unless you somehow managed to memorize your 1L contracts class and don't need to study it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

BigHead posted:

You're paying a lot of money to take BarBri. Do you have a job lined up already? If you have a job lined up, not only is it really really embarrassing but it could lose you that precious precious job if you fail. If you don't have a job, do you really want to spend three more months after you fail re-studying?

Seriously.

Also, note that if you click on the question mark to read all of BigHead's posts you basically have the pure essence of lawgoon bitterness and experience condensed into a few pages, so his advice pretty much invariably constitutes the combined wisdom of the thread.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 1, 2011

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003

BigHead posted:

God I hope they mean tort reform to increase punitive damages, which States (at least my State) take 50% of.

Do it all. Spend 8 hours a day at a desk. Pretend it's a job. You're the one who went to U Chicago or something? Illinois has an ~80% passage rate. That's not particularly low, but it's not particularly high either.

I did it all. 8 hours a day, six days a week, and took one of the hardest bars in the country. It felt like just another practice exam and I passed without a hitch. If you are "several weeks behind" then you have a big problem unless you somehow managed to memorize your 1L contracts class and don't need to study it.

Yeah, this whole quarter system thing kinda fucks us--our finals week didn't even start until a week after BarBri started. I'm actually taking the California bar, so the pass percentage is lower as well. I think the plan right now is to power through all the lectures, do the MBE questions, and make up time by skipping the hell out the practical section (seriously, "write a brief about these six issues; here are six cases to help you"). Hopefully that'll be sufficient until I get caught up.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

http://systemstatus.umn.edu/view/Main

Hahaha... U of M knocked out its students email accounts for ten days. Gentlegoons, I give you the top law school (of four!) in the state.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I took (and passed) the California bar in February and all I did to prepare was self-study using eBayed copies of the CMR, the CA-specific outline book, and the big book of sample California essays. I would bet that the vast majority of lawgoons could pass the bar with nothing but self study, but of course when it comes to the bar no one wants to trust their own skills when there's a big expensive safety net available.

To be fair, I took Barbri for PA/NJ last summer, but even then I didn't do anywhere near all of the recommended stuff. In fact I basically disregarded the out-of-class prep schedule (do X MBE questions, go over Y notes, do sample Z essay) and studied at my own pace.

The absolute best thing I did to study for the bar was to eschew any sort of traditional note taking or outline making and instead focused on making a ton of flashcards. I used http://ankisrs.net/, which is designed solely for the purpose of memorizing stuff. It lets you make flashcards with different topic designations and such, and then drills you on them using a memorization model gleaned from experiments involving the optimal intervals of repetition to memorize as much as possible as fast as possible. During the lectures, instead of just copying down whatever the lecturer was saying, I tried to make flashcards of the points being addressed so I could properly review (and learn) them later. I made over 1200 flashcards and by the time of the bar, I had the vast majority crammed in my brain.

I would estimate that bar passage is 25% being able to write like a lawyer ought to (as in, being able to structure essays so they are readable and follow a logical path) and 75% rote memorization. Memorization of all the stupid little rules is unbelievably boring, and there are no shortcuts, but it is the majority of what bar prep is about.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 2, 2011

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

I did almost exclusively flash cards for the California bar. I did not use some fancy-dancy computer program. I just hand-wrote them on index cards. I wrote well over 1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003
Definitely using ankiweb starting tonight.