Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

True Evil Bob posted:

I ended up enjoying both editions in different ways. 4e for the low-mid fantasy story where you're not warping reality but you manage to survive long enough to go from killing kobolds to challenging demigods, but I still enjoy the high level spellcasting arms race in 3e, aside from martial classes becoming obsolete at high level without homebrew/houserules/etc. Our groups did always ban Rope Trick though to avoid having a safe way of turning the game into a 15 minute workday too easily.

I uh

I'm not sure I'd call 4E low-mid fantasy when a 1st level Swordmage daily entails slicing open a hole in space/time and stepping through to another point with an accompanying sonic boom. That falls solidly under the category of high high fantasy.

It's just not broken, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

CarnivorousThing posted:

Wow, it must be really unfun to have to DM for you or play with you.

I hope that the kitty will not die, that would be super depressing.

Yes, I can see how you'd have to convince yourself that that was true. Otherwise you might find yourself forced to acknowledge even a single fact.

True Evil Bob posted:

That was something I both really liked and really disliked about 4e. Aside from access to new rituals, I never really felt like I was getting more powerful at higher levels beyond just hitting for bigger numbers

I've been in a 4e campaign for more than two years now. We started at level 1 and are currently level 18, and I can tell you that my wizard feels like pretty hot poo poo compared to himself even six or seven levels ago. It's true that your accuracy relative to monster defenses doesn't generally increase in 4e, but the sophistication and potency of your powers absolutely does. It's not like you go from Close Burst 1, 1d6 damage, to Close Burst 1, 2d6 damage. You go from Close Burst 1 1d6 damage and slow to Close Burst 5 5d6 damage and immobilized. You haven't lived until you've lured every named enemy in a bossfight within 5 squares of you and then spent an action point to cast Prismatic Beams.

Also, it often happens in our campaign that we face the same enemies we fought a few levels ago... but in, like, three times their usual numbers or something similarly crazy. I can absolutely tell you that if it weren't for the expanding ranges and effects of my party's powers compared to what we used to have we would just be 100% unable to handle like half of what the DM throws at us.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 1, 2011

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I uh

I'm not sure I'd call 4E low-mid fantasy when a 1st level Swordmage daily entails slicing open a hole in space/time and stepping through to another point with an accompanying sonic boom. That falls solidly under the category of high high fantasy.

It's just not broken, is all.

I like to think of 4e as Super Heroic Fantasy. It's my hope that some day I'll run/play in a game that starts off with: "Meanwhile... At the Hall of Justice!"

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Ohh look 54 new posts, there must be a new co... :sigh:

At least it isn't an alignment argument.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Gunjin posted:

At least it isn't an alignment argument.

No, you fool! Just mentioning the reduction in the alignment system is liable to destroy this thread from within.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Superstring posted:

I like to think of 4e as Super Heroic Fantasy. It's my hope that some day I'll run/play in a game that starts off with: "Meanwhile... At the Hall of Justice!"

And the previous editions weren't super heroic fantasy? I'm actually curious.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

They're pretty definite low fantasy in all incarnations. Confusing.

Gunjin posted:

You get an average of 7-10 new posts when a chapter is posted, this is actually more posts.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

D&D really is not what I would call even close to low fantasy. It's far too magical for that. Even Dark Sun.

Forgotten Realms tries to be Low Fantasy but then forgets about that five seconds later.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

D&D really is not what I would call even close to low fantasy. It's far too magical for that. Even Dark Sun.

Forgotten Realms tries to be Low Fantasy but then forgets about that five seconds later.

And then in the dry, barren Mountains of Sklort (next to the lush equatorial Deepforests of Dragonbone Valley, where the red and gold and maybe some other specific colours of dragons fight their eternal magi-war) the Arch-Demilich Chun'Ganoosh summoned the adventurers to recover his magic Raiments of Good from the Archmage Khelben Arunsun in wherever he's at now.

The point is Forgetten Realms is a geographically improbable mish-mash of silly-sounding names and impossible (as in awful) stories involving wizards and dragons and sometimes drow and nothing else.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

D&D can't make up its mind on what its influences are so you get low magic Conan the Barbarian types with, natch, the Barbarian and other weapon swinging classes. And right next to them are the reality warping Infinity Gauntlet casters.

crime fighting hog posted:

And the previous editions weren't super heroic fantasy? I'm actually curious.

In 4e, just starting from level 1 and having everyone already be able to do cool/useful things like Dimensional Thunder up there or headlocking a creature twice your size. AND have everyone remain useful and doing awesome things left and right, yeah I think 4e is definitely more super heroic in vein.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Apparently I'm using the wrong term, I mean more that it's sword and sorcery. Low fantasy apparently means something this article isn't expressly defining... I seriously have no idea.

Anyway, high fantasy isn't usually a term associated with "amount of magic" in a setting. This article struggles to fit harry potter into the same class of fantasy as tolkien though, so the entire process of using wikipedia here feels suspect...

I mean D&D is almost exclusively portrayed as up close and personal, relationship driven hack and slash fantasy, more akin to Conan than Tolkien. You're using high fantasy differently from what appears to be the more common usage of the term, which is what I was responding to.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean D&D is almost exclusively portrayed as up close and personal, relationship driven hack and slash fantasy, more akin to Conan than Tolkien. You're using high fantasy differently from what appears to be the more common usage of the term, which is what I was responding to.
Well, when you're solving the problems of an entire continent by putting a god in a headlock I'm not sure that qualifies as "up close and personal" anymore.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Most of the fun in roleplaying games is in the journey.

Tell it to these guys. Or these guys. Both get teleports and can be built so that they start the game with them.

My gaming group is unanimous in declaring Demon: The Fallen both amazingly broken and the best campaign we've ever played. My point is 90% of roleplaying is the group, not the game; if you can't enjoy a game due to balance issues and "useless classes" and whatnot I feel you may be kinda missing the point. Roleplaying is not about stats and CRs and Thac0s: it's about characters, stories and good times.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nilbop posted:

And then in the dry, barren Mountains of Sklort (next to the lush equatorial Deepforests of Dragonbone Valley, where the red and gold and maybe some other specific colours of dragons fight their eternal magi-war) the Arch-Demilich Chun'Ganoosh summoned the adventurers to recover his magic Raiments of Good from the Archmage Khelben Arunsun in wherever he's at now.

The point is Forgetten Realms is a geographically improbable mish-mash of silly-sounding names and impossible (as in awful) stories involving wizards and dragons and sometimes drow and nothing else.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Forgotten Realms has peasant dirt farmers who've never even seen magic on one side of a mountain range, and exactly this on the opposite side of that mountain range.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ashenai posted:

Another way of looking at it: Lord of the Rings would have been a pretty short book if the characters worked in the 3.5 style.

Boromir: "One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Gandalf: "Very true. Fortunately, I have Greater Teleport memorized. Come, Frodo. The rest of you can go take a nap or something."
I hope I'm not opening another can of worms here but Gandalf would probably have been far too low level to cast that spell. If you look at what he does and compare it to spells it doesn't give him a fantastic level. Plus his weird wizard race most likely gives him LA. I read some good arguments a long time ago for the fellowship being about level 5 which included that almost nothing they do can't be done at that level. Most of what they fight are just orcs (which are, what CR 1? 2?), if they had been high level the orcs must've been high level to pose a serious threat AND that would've made every single human soldier high level as well since they could beat an orc in a one on one. Um, but this isn't really important.

Well, I can see the sun, can't I?
Actually based on how spot and hide works you'd need to roll a d20, add about a million for it's size penalty and make a DC of over a billion due to distance. So no, you can't see the sun. If it tried to hide. :pseudo:

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Poil posted:

I hope I'm not opening another can of worms here but Gandalf would probably have been far too low level to cast that spell. If you look at what he does and compare it to spells it doesn't give him a fantastic level. Plus his weird wizard race most likely gives him LA. I read some good arguments a long time ago for the fellowship being about level 5 which included that almost nothing they do can't be done at that level. Most of what they fight are just orcs (which are, what CR 1? 2?), if they had been high level the orcs must've been high level to pose a serious threat AND that would've made every single human soldier high level as well since they could beat an orc in a one on one. Um, but this isn't really important.

It is a very good thing D&D was cribbing off tolkien and not the other way round. Also I hate you.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Poil posted:

Actually based on how spot and hide works you'd need to roll a d20, add about a million for it's size penalty and make a DC of over a billion due to distance. So no, you can't see the sun. If it tried to hide. :pseudo:

Bah, even if it tried, unless the sun's a Ranger or something, it needs cover first.

During an eclipse, though, that fucker'd be invisible!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Poil posted:

Technically, that "weird wizard race" is Maiar; i.e. a weaker angel. If we assume that Gandalf was an Astral Deva (the weakest angel listed in the 3.5 SRD), that would give him a level adjustment of +8. So even if we go with the "no higher than level 5" thing for Gandalf, that'll still put the rest of the Fellowship at around level 13. Explain the Uruk-Hai as being orcs with PC class levels, and problem solved.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Technogeek posted:

Technically, that "weird wizard race" is Maiar; i.e. a weaker angel. If we assume that Gandalf was an Astral Deva (the weakest angel listed in the 3.5 SRD), that would give him a level adjustment of +8. So even if we go with the "no higher than level 5" thing for Gandalf, that'll still put the rest of the Fellowship at around level 13. Explain the Uruk-Hai as being orcs with PC class levels, and problem solved.

Finally this book makes sense. I was trying and trying to figure it out, but it just didn't all lock together until I read this. Thanks Technogeek, now I can finally finish the trilogy!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Finally this book makes sense. I was trying and trying to figure it out, but it just didn't all lock together until I read this. Thanks Technogeek, now I can finally finish the trilogy!

Pssh, don't bother. The later books are way too much like WoW. I mean, Gandalf levels and what does he get? A free epic mount!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bobulus posted:

Pssh, don't bother. The later books are way too much like WoW. I mean, Gandalf levels and what does he get? A free epic mount!

You don't even have to go that far. The Hobbits get low level welfare epic swords pretty early, and then Frodo gets a loving heirloom epic sword and chest piece shortly after.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Superstring posted:

In 4e, just starting from level 1 and having everyone already be able to do cool/useful things like Dimensional Thunder up there or headlocking a creature twice your size. AND have everyone remain useful and doing awesome things left and right, yeah I think 4e is definitely more super heroic in vein.

E: VVVVV You're right, I misread, sorry. It just bugs me when people say each new edition of the drat game is about super heroes now and from everything I've seen it's always been about super heroes who were full plate instead of capes.

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 1, 2011

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, it sucks starting at level 1 being able to do cool things and not die to a goddamn house cat, you're right.

I don't think he said it was bad?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jesus Christ. I miss the Alignment debates.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Jesus Christ. I miss the Alignment debates.

So let me tell you how WOTC is literally worst than a serial rapist because they removed True Neutral...

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Gotta tellya, when I was at Dragon Magazine, we didn't have anywhere NEAR this level (heh...) of sperging about this sort of stuff at TSR.

This is an amazing place.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Effingham posted:

Gotta tellya, when I was at Dragon Magazine, we didn't have anywhere NEAR this level (heh...) of sperging about this sort of stuff at TSR.

This is an amazing place.

You worked at Dragon during the TSR days? We're you allowed to playtest during work or had that been banned already?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

So let me tell you how WOTC is literally worst than a serial rapist because they removed True Neutral...

Actually I hate 4ed but I'm a big fan of unaligned. That was a long time coming and really solved a lot of issues.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
"Unaligned" is a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. Alignments need to be eliminated entirely.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

"Unaligned" is a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. Alignments need to be eliminated entirely.

Alignment is a tiny issue that only becomes exponentially larger proportional to how much you worry about it. OOTS itself is a great illustration of how alignment should be handled and how it shouldn't (Miko)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, come on! We just finished an edition argument. Do we really want to start an alignment argument, too?

I say, no.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not convinced that rogues are inferior to wizards. I want to hear more about why wizards are the most powerblkalclksannkjasnkvbkvwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(Can you guys shut the gently caress up about D&D and either discuss Order of the Stick or nothing at all? There's a whole forum devoted to nothing but talking about tabletop RPGs, and I absolutely love tabletop RPGs, but for gently caress's sake, DON'T DO IT HERE)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

rotinaj posted:

I'm not convinced that rogues are inferior to wizards. I want to hear more about why wizards are the most powerblkalclksannkjasnkvbkvwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(Can you guys shut the gently caress up about D&D and either discuss Order of the Stick or nothing at all? There's a whole forum devoted to nothing but talking about tabletop RPGs, and I absolutely love tabletop RPGs, but for gently caress's sake, DON'T DO IT HERE)

Seriously. I may like D&D, but I absolutely hate reading about how x system is broken or y class is over powered here let me show you my mathhammer asdfjhafjhdsaj;fFUCK. All of the picking apart really destroys the game for me and that's why I avoid Trad Games like the plague. Don't bring that poo poo here.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

HKR posted:

Seriously. I may like D&D, but I absolutely hate reading about how x system is broken or y class is over powered here let me show you my mathhammer asdfjhafjhdsaj;fFUCK. All of the picking apart really destroys the game for me and that's why I avoid Trad Games like the plague. Don't bring that poo poo here.

Don't need to pick apart the system much to see how lovely non-casters are :smug:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

rotinaj posted:

Well, they couldn't talk about Tabletop RPGs in TG Proper due to the absolute deluuuuge of PBP, necessitating the creation of the discussion subforum. Perhaps there are just too many drat people talking about things in TGD now, and they need a sub-sub-forum, like this thread.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

You worked at Dragon during the TSR days? We're you allowed to playtest during work or had that been banned already?

I was the editor of Dragon Magazine in 95-96. Playtesting. Heh.

Fun lunches. :)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Effingham posted:

I was the editor of Dragon Magazine in 95-96. Playtesting. Heh.

Fun lunches. :)

I was actively reading Dragon then. Was this the time frame of the silver ands black "Cheers" cover? I remember some hoopla over a "Fraiser" setting at the bar while "Rebecca" was stealing his purse. It caused a bit of an uproar IIRC.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Nystral posted:

I was actively reading Dragon then. Was this the time frame of the silver ands black "Cheers" cover? I remember some hoopla over a "Fraiser" setting at the bar while "Rebecca" was stealing his purse. It caused a bit of an uproar IIRC.

I want a picture of this cover.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

HKR posted:

I want a picture of this cover.

Dragon Magainze 184 June? 1992.

It looks very little like anyone from Cheers, but nerds will be nerds and they did a write up about it a few months later. I guess the sperged about different things then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Well, they couldn't talk about Tabletop RPGs in TG Proper due to the absolute deluuuuge of PBP, necessitating the creation of the discussion subforum. Perhaps there are just too many drat people talking about things in TGD now, and they need a sub-sub-forum, like this thread.

You motherfucker.