Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Damnedest thing is, I know there's a better picture of him in one of my old sourcebooks, I just can't remember which one. And I have a shitton of books to go through. And then I have to decide if it's worth tearing that page out of the book to run it through my scanner.

Though, speaking of avatars, I do actually have a pretty good selection of the "modern"-ish era characters, between Masters and Minions, Era Report: 3052 and now Era Report: 3062. And the art isn't terrible anymore, either! (It's a little weird, though, that Ragnar Magnusson looks like a really burly version of me. Cause Ragnar Magnusson is a son of a bitch).

Maybe you'd make a better Subhash Indrahar.

e: oh poo poo, new page. Here's a picture. Did you know in the BattleTech movie, they've already cast someone for the part of Anastasius Focht?

And his name is BRUCE WILLIS.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
BattleTech movie? What?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Joke. There's been one in a continuous state of Pre-production since like 1997.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope, they're still dead. One reversal was enough--this time, the Wolves were thorough which means no Minnisota Tribe.

Then again, the question is: after so much time, and at the hands of the Widowmakers, how much of Nicholas Kerensky's original vision for the Clans remains? I will say right now: every single Clan has their own goal, and every one of those goals is different.
I just realised why the Widowmakers were anihilated.

The Clans abhor waste. They also abhor freebirths and all the trappings thereof. Marriage is one of those trappings, thus so widows. CLEARLY the Widowmakers were fighting to preserve family values in the Kerensky Cluster!

Fraction Jackson posted:

during the Civil War when James Sandoval decided the civil war was boring and, you know, how about some good ol' anti-Drac nationalism? Apparently the answer to that question was "yes," and so...
To be fair, that WAS a genius move. He kept the Draconis March comparatively focussed and united by poking the Dragon and screaming "OH JESUS gently caress IT'S A DRAGON!" until people listened. Worked with the Falcon attack on the Lyrans too.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
OK!

Rim World Republic = Place that Amaris came from?

Are his troops still around in canon? In this timeline? Fraction mentions he thinks he knows where they are. Someone please explain this further.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

the RWR was the strongest periphery state ever... founded by rear end in a top hat space slaver pirates (they needed the population). THEY were the ones who first stole the battlemech plans from the terran core in the normal timeline and they were doing pretty well, then amaris was all... Imma coup the inner sphere because the leader is weak. <insert evil plot here> eventually he kills the head of state after getting all the armies of the sphere deployed to the edge and then tells kerensky... "Hey look I took over, join up with me." Kerensky said "NO", and warring rampage of revenge.

In canon he all the troops were destroyed and the lyrans ate up the RWR like a snack cake.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Defiance Industries posted:

Damnedest thing is, I know there's a better picture of him in one of my old sourcebooks, I just can't remember which one. And I have a shitton of books to go through. And then I have to decide if it's worth tearing that page out of the book to run it through my scanner.

Though, speaking of avatars, I do actually have a pretty good selection of the "modern"-ish era characters, between Masters and Minions, Era Report: 3052 and now Era Report: 3062. And the art isn't terrible anymore, either! (It's a little weird, though, that Ragnar Magnusson looks like a really burly version of me. Cause Ragnar Magnusson is a son of a bitch).

Maybe you'd make a better Subhash Indrahar.

e: oh poo poo, new page. Here's a picture. Did you know in the BattleTech movie, they've already cast someone for the part of Anastasius Focht?

And his name is BRUCE WILLIS.

If Willis is unavailable they could also cast David Wheeler.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Affi posted:

OK!

Are his troops still around in canon? In this timeline? Fraction mentions he thinks he knows where they are. Someone please explain this further.

In canon, the only remains still around would be a few merc commands that started out as RWR deserters/remnants. IIRC, the Bluestar Irregulars, one of the best mercenary units in the entire setting, consists of the descendants of a RWR unit and a SLDF regiment that refused to go along with the exodus.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

the lyrans ate up the RWR like a snack cake.

Fun fact: the Jade Falcon invasion corridor (steel vipers in my timeline) carves right through the Rim Worlds Republic. It's a very prestegious corridor, which is why it went to the first-place non-Wolf/Widowmaker Clan.

The Goliath Scorpions are in the 4th place corridor. Whether their 'poor performance' was intentional or not, I won't say.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

also poptarts... I am extremely EXTREMELY displeased with your removal of the goliath scorpions being hopped up druggies.

:colbert: you are ruining the clans.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

also poptarts... I am extremely EXTREMELY displeased with your removal of the goliath scorpions being hopped up druggies.

:colbert: you are ruining the clans.

Yes I am. Sometimes, you need to break something in order to reforge it into something more interesting. The Goliath Scorpions still have plenty of hopped-up druggies to go around.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fun fact: the Jade Falcon invasion corridor (steel vipers in my timeline) carves right through the Rim Worlds Republic. It's a very prestegious corridor, which is why it went to the first-place non-Wolf/Widowmaker Clan.

The Goliath Scorpions are in the 4th place corridor. Whether their 'poor performance' was intentional or not, I won't say.

Alright so I can understand why the Rim Worlds Republic is the most prestigious corridor, revenge and all that, is there a reason the second, third and fourth corridor is in that order?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Affi posted:

Alright so I can understand why the Rim Worlds Republic is the most prestigious corridor, revenge and all that, is there a reason the second, third and fourth corridor is in that order?

Among other things, the quickest and most direct route to Earth.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Mukaikubo posted:

Among other things, the quickest and most direct route to Earth.

Yeah, in the OTL, the Wolves got the most prestigious corridor, the one that had the most direct route to Terra. In this timeline, it seems that the Widowmakers got the same. As PTN stated, the second most prestigious would be through worlds of the former Rim Worlds Republic for the glory of wrecking Amaris' former holdings, going to the Jade Falcons/Steel Vipers in OTL/PTN's timeline respectively. I dunno about the third and fourth most prestigious, though... I know the Ghost Bears and Smoke Jaguars got those two in the OTL, Hell's Horses and Goliath Scorpion here, but I dunno what makes them the third and fourth prestigious invasion corridors.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 31, 2011

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Affi posted:

OK!

In the canon, there are a few ex-RWR units that survive and go merc, but the rest are almost universally wiped out. Many of the RWR's planets were gobbled up by the Lyran Commonwealth very quickly after the end of the war, but there were at least as many that simply dropped off the map due to lack of communications, depopulation, or any number of other reasons. There are theories that some of their population centers may have relocated en masse, but since no one seems to know where they are this seems unlikely.

In this timeline, it seems reasonable to suggest that if the RWR "won" (although, if Terra was invaded, perhaps this was Pyrrhic), then there are more of them around. The two most logical possibilities would be a more overt merger/conquest with/by the Lyran Commonwealth, for reasons of proximity. The other most logical option would seem to be ComStar, considering their ability to keep something like this more of a secret, as well as the fact that they run Terra and therefore would at least have to know what happened to the rest of the RWR; and running Terra, in a timeline where the RWR wasn't beaten by Kerensky, would seem to me to require either absorbing or destroying the remainder of the RWR after the fact.

Is it possible I'm missing something? Probably. But based on the evidence we have so far, these seem like the most logical choices to me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fraction Jackson posted:

In the canon, there are a few ex-RWR units that survive and go merc, but the rest are almost universally wiped out. Many of the RWR's planets were gobbled up by the Lyran Commonwealth very quickly after the end of the war, but there were at least as many that simply dropped off the map due to lack of communications, depopulation, or any number of other reasons. There are theories that some of their population centers may have relocated en masse, but since no one seems to know where they are this seems unlikely.

In this timeline, it seems reasonable to suggest that if the RWR "won" (although, if Terra was invaded, perhaps this was Pyrrhic), then there are more of them around. The two most logical possibilities would be a more overt merger/conquest with/by the Lyran Commonwealth, for reasons of proximity. The other most logical option would seem to be ComStar, considering their ability to keep something like this more of a secret, as well as the fact that they run Terra and therefore would at least have to know what happened to the rest of the RWR; and running Terra, in a timeline where the RWR wasn't beaten by Kerensky, would seem to me to require either absorbing or destroying the remainder of the RWR after the fact.

Is it possible I'm missing something? Probably. But based on the evidence we have so far, these seem like the most logical choices to me.

Amaris won, not necessarily the RWR. To take control of the Hegemony, Amaris relocated almost all his military from the RWR to the TH. Kerensky, in fact, used it as his base of operations.

Though Kerensky failed to liberate the Hegemony, I doubt that the RWR got away clean, considering all its worlds are now part of the LC.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Wolf's corridor also goes through part of the Rim World Republic too, while being a direct route towards Earth. The Falcons bid for the secondary route was because the RWR was also there AND because one of their Bloodhouse founder's homeworld was in the corridor too. The Bears are a straight run to earth, comparatively, and the Smoke Jags got the outer edge because they were the least successful of the first four.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

I dunno what makes them the third and fourth prestigious invasion corridors.

The Hell's Horses will get a 'better fight' than the Goliath Scorpions. Did you ever hear about Victor Davion worrying about the Wolves or Hohiro Kurita worrying about the Ghost Bears? Nope. The Scorpions are in a position where they're a lot harder to stop, because any enemies have to go through the Horses first--and since fighting equals glory to the Clans, that puts the Goliath Scorpions in an inherently weaker position; one where they also have to compete with Clan Widowmaker for worlds (Competing against Clan Wolf (and their love of ammunition weapons and insufficient supply of ammo) were the two biggest problems the Ghost Bears suffered). The Golaith Scorpions don't have the ammunition issues.

Their invasion corridor was at least part of the reason the Ghost Bears didn't do a single goddamned thing for fifteen years after Tukayyid.

They also have a proverbial ace up their sleeve, which you'll see right around... wave 4 or so (we're now in Wave 2).

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

right, kill them now. at least kill the hawk this turn, get close range and blast it with hotloaded point blank blasts.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Defiance Industries posted:

Amaris won, not necessarily the RWR. To take control of the Hegemony, Amaris relocated almost all his military from the RWR to the TH. Kerensky, in fact, used it as his base of operations.

Though Kerensky failed to liberate the Hegemony, I doubt that the RWR got away clean, considering all its worlds are now part of the LC.

But that still leaves the question of what happened to the remained of their forces in the Hegemony area, which seems to point to Comstar.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ And I've already not answered this question twice. You'll see.

AtomikKrab posted:

right, kill them now. at least kill the hawk this turn, get close range and blast it with hotloaded point blank blasts.

Waiting on a response from our Clint. It and the Champion are trying to occupy the same hex (and the Champion got his orders in first).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ And I've already not answered this question twice. You'll see.

Waiting on a response from our Clint. It and the Champion are trying to occupy the same hex (and the Champion got his orders in first).

Good to see that our intrepid pilots aren't wasting time coordinating their actions at all. ;)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Vox Nihili posted:

Good to see that our intrepid pilots aren't wasting time coordinating their actions at all. ;)

Actually, they were quite prompt. Today was just a hellday and I didn't have time to check anything over earlier.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

PoptartsNinja posted:

Actually, they were quite prompt. Today was just a hellday and I didn't have time to check anything over earlier.

We'll just say all mechs run on windows 98 and bluescreened for a turn.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

they run on 95

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

they run on 95

I think you mean Windows 3.1.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

landcollector posted:

I think you mean Windows 3.1.

Even 3.1 wasn't around in the 80s

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Felime posted:

Commadore 64

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Felime posted:

You're right, it wasn't. But this is the future of the 80s! I bet the cockpits can even play MIDI versions of all the hit songs of the BattleTech universe!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

mercenarynuker posted:

You're right, it wasn't. But this is the future of the 80s! I bet the cockpits can even play MIDI versions of all the hit songs of the BattleTech universe!

Nope, they play them on LASERDISC. Holoscreens still play cassettes. Books are lostech (well, sorta) but reading isn't! Everything runs on the same prompts as the old Apple IIe! You can magically trick computers into doing feats of magic (if you're Clovis Holstein or one of his friends)!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Window-based computer interfaces Mice Floppy drives Abacuses are lostech.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope, they play them on LASERDISC. Holoscreens still play cassettes. Books are lostech (well, sorta) but reading isn't! Everything runs on the same prompts as the old Apple IIe! You can magically trick computers into doing feats of magic (if you're Clovis Holstein or one of his friends)!

How the gently caress is printed and bound sheets of paper loving Lostech but we have 30 foot tall walking tanks and people trained in repairing them :psyduck:. Is it a problem of milling paper? Are boxes of kleenex and rolls of TP also Lostech?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Again in part this is stuff that was updated over the years to be less ridiculous. But books are 'lostech' in the sense that a Kindle-like device would be pretty cheap in the setting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Casualty posted:

How the gently caress is printed and bound sheets of paper loving Lostech

Confounded e-book readers! :argh:

e;fb

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Taerkar posted:

Again in part this is stuff that was updated over the years to be less ridiculous. But books are 'lostech' in the sense that a Kindle-like device would be pretty cheap in the setting.
Such is the inherent peril of keeping a sci-fi series updated.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Well, I figured more modern alternatives to books were available in the setting, however when I hear "Lostech" I immediately assume there is either an educational or technological hurdle towards making or maintaining a given item.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would imagine simple infrastructure or economy might also play a part. Just because it's well within our technological means to manufacture something doesn't mean that you can actually find someone who manufactures it.

On that note, aren't the Battletech VR pods basically Lostech? Precious, hoarded Lostech.

Though yeah, the idea of books going the way of the rotary telephone is a little silly.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Surprisingly enough, Rifts, for all its faults, actually handled computer-related technological advancement past the date of publishing fairly well. I think the rule went something along the lines of, "We know that computers improve at an astonishing rate, and shortly after this book is printed, any computer specs we put down are going to look ridiculous. To calculate computer capabilities in your setting, take whatever computers are capable of in your time and multiply it by 100."

Unfortunately, the rest of the setting was so very, very messy.

Battletech does show its age, though. I remember Riva Allard talking about how the Helm memory core had a couple hundred kilobytes on Kearney-Fuchida Jumpdrive theory, or something, and that was just amazing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I still enjoy the magical three megabyte microsoft in Neuromancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

I still enjoy the magical three megabyte microsoft in Neuromancer.

Oh yeah... God, that game was rough.

I feel like Battletech is ripe for some kind of serious unification of all its silly tech claims into a sophisticated, nuanced whole. Kind of like how Battlestar Gallactica did before the story went into X-Files territory.

• Locked thread