Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Elijya posted:

First time watching it? Just so you know, when you get to the last couple of episodes, order the physical DVDs, they have the extended version of the series finale. The version that Netflix has on streaming was the broadcast cut, which is I think 10-20 minutes shorter. If you watch it online, you miss the epilogue for several of the major characters like Chief Tyrol

Well poo poo, I didn't know this. I watched the Netflix version and thought it SEEMED like some characters just disappeared. Is there a place where I can read extended cut spoilers? I don't have a way to watch the different version.

Unrelated, but Kick-rear end was added a few days ago, and it's great. Over the top crazy violent and fun as hell. Hit Girl loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Reclaiming the Blade is a great documentary about the evolution of the sword both as a weapon and as a cultural archetype. It's narrated by John Rhys-Davies and gets fairly in depth into why the sword represents such an incredible icon in the mass consciousness.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Deadfall Trail is very awesome. Slow pace, but very tense.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

A Nice Boy posted:

Well poo poo, I didn't know this. I watched the Netflix version and thought it SEEMED like some characters just disappeared. Is there a place where I can read extended cut spoilers? I don't have a way to watch the different version.

Unrelated, but Kick-rear end was added a few days ago, and it's great. Over the top crazy violent and fun as hell. Hit Girl loving rules.

Have them mail it to you.

Htom Sirveaux
Dec 16, 2005

particle409 posted:

I've been watching Dr. Who, it gets better as it goes on. Next up is Four Lions.

For those watching Doctor Who for the first time you should be aware that Netflix has a somewhat screwy way of listing it's Instant Watch titles. Under the "Doctor Who" category it goes from The Next Doctor straight into The Eleventh Hour (Matt Smith's 1st episode as the Doctor) even though there were several extended-length specials in between Season 4 & 5. Planet of the Dead isn't up for streaming for some reason although Waters Of Mars and The End of Time are (under their own listings) and those should definitely be watched before The Eleventh Hour as they wrap up David Tennant's Doctor's storylines.

Htom Sirveaux has a new favorite as of 06:19 on May 31, 2011

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Htom Sirveaux posted:

For those watching Doctor Who for the first time you should be aware that Netflix has a somewhat screwy way of listing it's Instant Watch titles. Under the "Doctor Who" category it goes from The Next Doctor straight into The Eleventh Hour (Matt Smith's 1st episode as the Doctor) even though there were several extended-length specials in between Season 4 & 5. Planet of the Dead isn't up for streaming for some reason although Waters Of Mars and The End of Time are (under their own listings) and those should definitely be watched before The Eleventh Hour as they wrap up David Tennant's Doctor's storylines.

I got really confused when I watched it without knowing about the specials. I didn't realize until about 15 minutes into the episode after looking it upon Wikipedia, but by that far into the episode I was already 100% over Tennant.

Matt Smith :allears:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Came upon this one completely by chance and found it really funny: a 2007 indie comedy based on Dante's Inferno. The catch is that it's done entirely as a puppet show using paper puppets. Surprisingly good given the medium they went with, especially with the cast they got for voices.

Dante's Inferno

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
My favorite show from the 90s, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, is on Netflix. It's campy as poo poo and the effects show their age now, but I still love it.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Came upon this one completely by chance and found it really funny: a 2007 indie comedy based on Dante's Inferno. The catch is that it's done entirely as a puppet show using paper puppets. Surprisingly good given the medium they went with, especially with the cast they got for voices.

Dante's Inferno

I was going to post this today. I watched this Sunday night and it is really well done.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

mds2 posted:

I was going to post this today. I watched this Sunday night and it is really well done.

I couldn't find any info on IMDB or Wikipedia, but did it list who played the live-action Lucifer at the end? He looked familiar....

Also Dana Snyder as Ulysses was awesome.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I know this one has been mentioned already but I just watched The Man From Earth and really enjoyed it. It comes off instant netflix tomorrow so if you like science fiction (the real kind), I would highly recommend it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

casual poster posted:

Somebody recommended Takers on here earlier and I just finished watching it, its a pretty good heist film, definitely worth checking out.

Takers was a great heist film that took me totally by surprise. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was and really wish that I saw it in theaters.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

get drunk as gently caress and watch Crank 2 right now.

Bilquis
Oct 12, 2007
Here are some documentaries and movies on instant watch that I would like to recommend.

World's Most Dangerous Drug: An interesting documentary about the devastating effects of meth in both local communities and countries around the world.

Everlasting Moments: This is a Swedish movie about a married woman at the beginning of the 20th century who takes up photography, partially as a means to escape her coarse and sometimes brutal husband. Through Netflix, I’ve discovered that I really love a lot of Swedish cinema :)

Let the Right One In: I know this has already been recommended, but watch this Swedish vampire movie!

Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037: This documentary chronicles all the work that goes into making Steinway pianos and their eventual selection by lucky owners. This documentary was definitely a hidden gem.

The Secret in Their Eyes: A tense and moving drama centers around a retired Argentine criminal investigator as he pens a biographical novel about the unsolved case of a young newlywed's brutal rape and murder years ago. I believe this movie won the best foreign film academy award a couple years ago.

Pierrepoint: This dark and understated drama chronicles the life of Albert Pierrepoint, who anonymously becomes Britain's most prolific executioners during WWII. However, when his identity is eventually exposed, Pierrepoint is forced to deal with the realities of his exposure.

The Dark Crystal: This Jim Henson classic was one of my favorite childhood films. I'm not sure what that says about me though.

Amadeus: This period drama is loosely based on the relationship between Mozart and his mediocre rival, Salieri. Quickly recognizing the immense talent of Mozart, Salieri becomes obsessed with stifling the efforts of his superior rival.

Don't Bother to Knock: This Marilyn Monroe film is not well known and I think that's kind of a shame. She plays an unstable woman who begins to unravel while babysitting for a little girl at a hotel that her uncle works at. Richard Widmark and Anne Bancroft also star in this little known film.

Hunger: This drama depicts the events surrounding a hunger strike staged by a group of IRA prisoners during their 1981 incarceration in Britain's Prison Maze. Led by IRA volunteer-poet Bobby Sands (Michael Fassbender), the strikers waged their six-week-long protest in an attempt to be acknowledged as political prisoners and to improve the prison's conditions. This stark movie is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

screenwritersblues posted:

Takers was a great heist film that took me totally by surprise. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was and really wish that I saw it in theaters.

Did not like. It was enjoyable seeing Stringer Bell back in action though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

casual poster posted:

Somebody recommended Takers on here earlier and I just finished watching it, its a pretty good heist film, definitely worth checking out.

Haha what the hell are you talking about. Takers is awful.

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

Bilquis posted:

Here are some documentaries and movies on instant watch that I would like to recommend.

World's Most Dangerous Drug: An interesting documentary about the devastating effects of meth in both local communities and countries around the world.

Everlasting Moments: This is a Swedish movie about a married woman at the beginning of the 20th century who takes up photography, partially as a means to escape her coarse and sometimes brutal husband. Through Netflix, I’ve discovered that I really love a lot of Swedish cinema :)

Let the Right One In: I know this has already been recommended, but watch this Swedish vampire movie!

Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037: This documentary chronicles all the work that goes into making Steinway pianos and their eventual selection by lucky owners. This documentary was definitely a hidden gem.

The Secret in Their Eyes: A tense and moving drama centers around a retired Argentine criminal investigator as he pens a biographical novel about the unsolved case of a young newlywed's brutal rape and murder years ago. I believe this movie won the best foreign film academy award a couple years ago.

Pierrepoint: This dark and understated drama chronicles the life of Albert Pierrepoint, who anonymously becomes Britain's most prolific executioners during WWII. However, when his identity is eventually exposed, Pierrepoint is forced to deal with the realities of his exposure.

The Dark Crystal: This Jim Henson classic was one of my favorite childhood films. I'm not sure what that says about me though.

Amadeus: This period drama is loosely based on the relationship between Mozart and his mediocre rival, Salieri. Quickly recognizing the immense talent of Mozart, Salieri becomes obsessed with stifling the efforts of his superior rival.

Don't Bother to Knock: This Marilyn Monroe film is not well known and I think that's kind of a shame. She plays an unstable woman who begins to unravel while babysitting for a little girl at a hotel that her uncle works at. Richard Widmark and Anne Bancroft also star in this little known film.

Hunger: This drama depicts the events surrounding a hunger strike staged by a group of IRA prisoners during their 1981 incarceration in Britain's Prison Maze. Led by IRA volunteer-poet Bobby Sands (Michael Fassbender), the strikers waged their six-week-long protest in an attempt to be acknowledged as political prisoners and to improve the prison's conditions. This stark movie is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to put in your description on the film(s). I've been reading this thread for a few pages, and after like one and half pages, I'm tired of switching between windows to find plot analysis and/or summary.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Doesn't the Miramax deal go live today? I don't seen anything new stuff on streaming yet and it's going to be really slow to day at work :smith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Third Man posted:

Doesn't the Miramax deal go live today? I don't seen anything new stuff on streaming yet and it's going to be really slow to day at work :smith:

Looks like it, my RSS feed for new Netflix instant stream just blew up, over 200 new items

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I find Instantwatcher infinitely useful for looking at newly released movies and movies that are soon to expire.

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
The Miramax deal is the best news. I can finally watch Pulp Fiction for the first time! :dance:

Bald White Dad
Dec 28, 2004
Just some fag with a computer...on the internets bitch!

MrGreenShirt posted:

I find Instantwatcher infinitely useful for looking at newly released movies and movies that are soon to expire.

Thanks for that link, very cool.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

MrGreenShirt posted:

Oh hot, Dead Man (real offbeat Jarmusch + Depp western)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just watched Four Lions on recommendation from this thread. The very first scene had it set up to be a hilarious film but I felt like the whole thing didn't really have much focus but the ending was pretty unexpected and sad. I give it a B-.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I use http://www.streamingsoon.com/

Pretty good at finding all the foreign films I like.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

bonds0097 posted:

I know this one has been mentioned already but I just watched The Man From Earth and really enjoyed it. It comes off instant netflix tomorrow so if you like science fiction (the real kind), I would highly recommend it.

Thanks, this movie was fantastic.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Guys remember that netflix does have an rss feed here http://www.netflix.com/RSSFeeds

If you don't have a reader, just get https://www.reader.google.com and set it up. It's something I now check daily.

Which was nice today, as they added about 200 movies this morning. What really matters though is that they added shark attack 3 which means I can now get all my friends to watch it in a netflix party on xbox. Can't loving wait.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Guys remember that netflix does have an rss feed here http://www.netflix.com/RSSFeeds

Thanks for this, I just found a few awesome movies in the instant feed :)

Example 8 Hour 23.976 Remote Content
Synopsis: "An example of 23.976 frames per second. An example of 23.976 frames per second. An example of 23.976 frames per second. An example of 23.976 frames per second. An example of 23.976 frames per second. An example of 23.976 frames per second."

Some nice reviews on that page. :siren:Trying to fastforward through the above movie crashed my firefox.:siren:

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I just watched Teeth. Not bad as far as low-budget comedy/horror movies go. Not cheesy at all, I'd definitely recommend watching it in the background while websurfing.

Inzombiac posted:

Just watched Four Lions on recommendation from this thread. The very first scene had it set up to be a hilarious film but I felt like the whole thing didn't really have much focus but the ending was pretty unexpected and sad. I give it a B-.

Yeah, I enjoyed it, but it definitely looked like it would be funnier than it really was. I don't know if they were trying to squeeze a message out of it or what.

edit 2:

Citizen Ruth is now avaliable. Rotten Tomatoes gave it 79%, it's a pretty good dark humor comedy:

quote:

In this satirical look at a controversial issue, unfit mother of four Ruth Stoops (Laura Dern) discovers while in jail that she's pregnant again. The judge charges her with endangering the fetus, but tells her he'll reduce the charges if she has an abortion. When word of this gets out, Ruth's caught in the middle of a tug-of-war between anti-abortion and abortion rights activists who want to use Ruth to get their messages across.

edit 3:
Dusk Til Dawn trilogy :). My quota for terrible camp movies is now full.

particle409 has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Jun 2, 2011

h20man
Oct 29, 2005
Forum Warrior
Just watched Ip Man. Good foreign film about a town of martial artists and their strongest, Ip Man.

ArtieTSMITW
Mar 23, 2006

Tommy! How's the peeping?
Tommy. How the peeping...

tommmytommytommytommy
The Cosby Show is up, a HAWHAW JELLOOOO PUDDINGG

Seriously, a great sit-com.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
If you want a kid's movie that also features Nicole Kidman's first role, you can't go wrong with BMX Bandits. I remember watching it ages ago on HBO.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Fresh is available on Instant now. Great movie.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

ArtieTSMITW posted:

The Cosby Show is up, a HAWHAW JELLOOOO PUDDINGG

Seriously, a great sit-com.

That thing has one of my favorite lines, when his daughter's getting her first period and wants to talk to her mom and Cosby just looks at her and goes "I'm a gynecologist. You want to talk to a lawyer about this?"

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover is on Netflix instant streaming. Don't look up anything aout this movie, don't spoil yourself, just watch it if you want a weird and wonderful movie experience.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So when do the Miramax films show up? I've done a search for Kill Bill and others, and no dice.

Also, weren't we supposed to get Frasier by now?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So when do the Miramax films show up? I've done a search for Kill Bill and others, and no dice.

Also, weren't we supposed to get Frasier by now?

They usually release things in batches so we probably still have some Miramax things to go.

Also, Way of the Gun is up. I haven't seen the movie in ages but I remember it being pretty good. It has one of the best shoot outs from any movie towards the end and if you hate Sarah Silverman it's worth even just watching the opening because Benicio Del Toro punches her straight in her face.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Jibo posted:

They usually release things in batches so we probably still have some Miramax things to go.

Also, Way of the Gun is up. I haven't seen the movie in ages but I remember it being pretty good. It has one of the best shoot outs from any movie towards the end and if you hate Sarah Silverman it's worth even just watching the opening because Benicio Del Toro punches her straight in her face.

Way of the Gun was criminally underrated. It was very funny.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

h20man posted:

Just watched Ip Man. Good foreign film about a town of martial artists and their strongest, Ip Man.

Also its the legend of the dude who would end up training Bruce Lee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Saint Sputnik posted:

Speaking of Britcoms, they finally put season 2 of The IT Crowd on instant. Used to just be 1, 3 and 4 I think.

S2E1 of The IT Crowd is like the most perfect half hour of comedy for me, I've watched it so many times.

• Locked thread