Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

clutchpuck posted:

Different bikes are different.

I have to admit, if I could do it over again, I would have grabbed the boulevard 900 and lived with the handlebars hitting my knees a little. The ex cop who I bought lessons from told me to buy something heavy. Probably because hooligan opportunities are smaller on heavier bikes. Or who knows what he thought.

But I kinda want to hool a little. Maybe just once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Had some guy in a beat up Corolla start merging into me on the freeway today. That in itself is no biggie, I was already hugging the left side of the lane so I just sped up a bit and avoided him.

Afterwards I turned around and pointed to my eyes, signaling for him to PAY THE gently caress ATTENTION. So he turns his headlights on. :psyduck:

edit: this was at noon.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

Update on the boomcam. I fixed issues like the elbow drooping down by drilling and making a set screw, marked angles, and bought a smaller backpack for $30 which works great. All in, I only spent around $60 on the whole setup. There's still an issue with the mic pole swiveling away from center, but otherwise it works beautifully. I even took it for a test ride in a nearby stadium parking lot and I'm in love with the results. Unfortunately, I haven't formatted the card for a while and it filled up halfway into my run. :doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ZDLyUbdFM

My favorite part is at around 1 minute in.

Once I figure a way to keep it centered, I'll test some more then finally take it for a ride down some nice roads.

This is pretty awesome. Can't wait until you get everything figured out.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Why the hell do so many people assume that just because I ride a motorcycle, I'm going to the Republic of Texas Biker Rally (ROT)?? I get that it's one of the biggest rallies in the country, but that doesn't mean I want to go. Even people at my wife's job are asking her why didn't she put in for time off, because they thought she would be going to the rally.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Raven457 posted:

Why the hell do so many people assume that just because I ride a motorcycle, I'm going to the Republic of Texas Biker Rally (ROT)?? I get that it's one of the biggest rallies in the country, but that doesn't mean I want to go. Even people at my wife's job are asking her why didn't she put in for time off, because they thought she would be going to the rally.

That means you should just put in for time off and go on a nice ride on the roads you love while everyone else is out at the rally, right?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

SaNChEzZ posted:

That means you should just put in for time off and go on a nice ride on the roads you love while everyone else is out at the rally, right?

That's what I'd love to do, but I don't have a lot of PTO available yet (I've only been here at this job for 6 months). I need to save time off for our week long motorcycle trip to the Talimena Scenic Drive later this year and other shorter trips once we're wanting to take once the fall weather starts.

I guess I just don't understand the draw. Even the local sportbike groups are all worked up for the rally, everyone I know with a cruiser has a hard on for the rally, and I'm just like 'meh'. What's wrong with me? lol

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dunno, rallies generally seem like a good way to miss out on a lot of good riding.

But then again, I don't like riding in groups larger than 4 or so.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

SaNChEzZ posted:

One polaroid in front of bikes with his wife is all he needs.

On a mechanical note:

I have an 88 or 92 GS500 (it's been sitting in storage for couple months now, can't remember). This particular bike needs a new engine.

I've never really been great with mechanical things, having only changed my oil on a car on the rare occasion. But I find myself with an empty 2-car garage, a lot of tools and a whole summer a head of me.

How realistic is it for me to do this myself with the power of the internet and the handy Haynes manual for the bike (which I've yet to open)? Will I need thousands of dollars of specialized tools (cranes for the engine like they have for cars, that sort of thing)?

I'm pretty excited about taking the bike apart, eventually turning it into a fun little single-seat cafe racer.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 1, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
No better place to start. Cheap bike, lots of parts out there, I say go for it. The worst you end up with is a bunch of motorcycle bits in pieces which you then sell. Take a lot of pictures of each thing you take off, that'll help, and review the manual a few times before you do each job.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I'm in Maryland where lane-splitting is illegal, but there's this huge hill with a massive intersection at the bottom of it that is part of my daily commute. Every morning, I end up sitting there for 10-20 minutes, as the light lets through 5-6 cars at a time while it's backed up for a quarter mile up the hill. Aside from just the waiting, I'm sitting there in the hot sun, surrounded by hot engines, and on a steep hill so I have to hold onto the break and keep the bike balanced.

It's a giant pain in the rear end, and every single morning I stare at that wide open column going between the lanes and think about how easy it would be to run right down it all the way to the front. The cars aren't even moving, so there's really no danger unless some rear end in a top hat decides to door me or something, but even then I could do it in first gear or even in neutral and just crawl on down. I'd get plenty of warning when the light turns green, because you can see the slow wave of brake lights turning off trickling up the hill.

Am I being stupid for considering this, or even more stupid for not taking advantage of a primary benefit of my chosen transportation?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

SlightlyMadman posted:

Am I being stupid for considering this, or even more stupid for not taking advantage of a primary benefit of my chosen transportation?
I'm in Tennessee where lane splitting isn't legal. I filter to the front a lot if there is a long line that will have me sitting through more than one or two rotations. When it's hot out I filter to the front unless there is a cop that I will be filtering past...gently caress sitting in traffic when it is hot as hell.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, the biggest thing I'm worried about is pissing other people off. Especially because right after that light, half the cars waiting behind it are getting onto the same expressway as I am.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Here in NJ I see bikers doing it everyday. Really lane splitting would be safer than waiting to get rear-ended if angry drivers didn't always try to kill you for it. I lane-split the hell out of traffic when I had a job. I kept telling myself I wouldn't because I didn't want to get a ticket, but when I'd hit gridlock and look over a see a nice wide space all for me I couldn't resist. Sportbikes are just so perfect for it because the clip-ons make them the narrowest bikes out there.

People would get pissed and try to block me sometimes and if I thought they were nutty I'd just stay back, simple. Most people would only make a token blocking gesture and I would get around them anyway. Seriously gently caress them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

even here where it's legal sometimes people squeeze you a bit, but sometimes they're just pulling out to get a better look at how long the traffic jam is (not that they can do anything about it). Thing is, they maybe delay you for a few seconds, but you just go past them at the next staggered car. Before I moved, I lane-split once when I was in Toronto, there was a huge huge tailback and I just said gently caress it, I'm going. I was super nervous, but it worked out fine. I couldn't live with a bike as my primary transportation if I couldn't do it now.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Remember, anyone who moves over to block you has kindly just made a nice big space on the other side of their car.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Postin' to say motocyclin' is cool as gently caress. VROOM VROOM

So actually it's more like the noise when you rev the lawnmower, seeing as how I have a Buell Blast. Tsaven Nava can go eat a dick. I love this.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I had one of those pickup truck video moments on my way home from work a few minutes ago - I wasn't DY passing or lane splitting, just passing on a dashed white. First time someone has actually swerved at me in the 4-ish years of street riding I've done.

If it wasn't on a backroad coming up to my neighborhood and pitch black I'd probably be dealing with the police right now instead of running at 100++.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 3, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Are there some good camera solutions that would work as a "black box"?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ola posted:

I've considered putting a gopro mount on the SV just for this. Record and if nothing happens wipe the card, if something does happen you have video.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Looks like the market is ahead of my ideas: http://stuntcams.com/shop/1080p-mini-dash-camera-google-maps-p-268.html?osCsid=62b155d458e002b1f00674a3f0a58d89

I'd like something that could just be switched on and forgotten. If something happens worth documenting, it's right there.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I love the little dance you end up doing when you end up alongside another bike in traffic. It's like a cross between racing and kittens playing with each other.

This morning I rode most of my commute alongside a guy on a gorgeous yellow Ducati. He was of course wearing a full-face helmet, matching jacket and pants, and ... bare hands and loafers? WTF?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ola posted:

Maybe this?

From the Amazon pics:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Gnaghi posted:

Maybe this?

From the Amazon pics:

... That's ...

that's just a monkey...

Probably.

That's probably just some monkey from a hunting trip where they have monkeys.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

loving imps, crossing on red light!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ola posted:

imps

Ain't no thing, they only have like 3 hit points.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Ola posted:

Looks like the market is ahead of my ideas: http://stuntcams.com/shop/1080p-mini-dash-camera-google-maps-p-268.html?osCsid=62b155d458e002b1f00674a3f0a58d89

I'd like something that could just be switched on and forgotten. If something happens worth documenting, it's right there.

Jesus, finally. I remember asking about this about a year ago and couldn't find anything. Little expensive though, drat. 1080P really necessary? Legal in CA?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, the biggest thing I'm worried about is pissing other people off. Especially because right after that light, half the cars waiting behind it are getting onto the same expressway as I am.

I'm currently in Baltimore this weekend and may I ask... WTF is up with traffic light timing? I'm actually happy to be in a climate controlled cage.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Crayvex posted:

I'm currently in Baltimore this weekend and may I ask... WTF is up with traffic light timing? I'm actually happy to be in a climate controlled cage.

You mean how it's specifically timed so that you hit a red light at every single drat intersection, and the only way to beat it is to go 2-3 times the speed limit at which point you usually still end up at best running through the yellow? It might just be my imagination, but it seems like they made it much worse right when they put red light and speed cameras all over the place.

BoJ
Jun 5, 2011

by angerbeet

Ola posted:

loving imps, crossing on red light!

Look at the tail. It's obviously an opossum.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Now that I'm back home from vacation and settling down to a summer of work and riding the SV, the itch has sparked forth for the upgrade to a 600SS. It grows every time I ride my SV with GSXR front end. Why is that itch there, and how do I control it?

:bang:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

Now that I'm back home from vacation and settling down to a summer of work and riding the SV, the itch has sparked forth for the upgrade to a 600SS. It grows every time I ride my SV with GSXR front end. Why is that itch there, and how do I control it?

:bang:

You buy a 690 SMC

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

You buy a 690 SMC

This is like skipping the journey for the conclusion.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

This is like skipping the journey for the conclusion.

Sometimes the journey sucks balls and the conclusion is all that's good. For example, driving from LA to SF on the 5.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

redscare posted:

Sometimes the journey sucks balls and the conclusion is all that's good. For example, driving from LA to SF on the 5.

Or riding anywhere in a cage.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Has anyone read The Perfect Vehicle: What It Is About Motorcycles, by Melissa Holbrook Pierson? Any good? Any other recommendations on bike books?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

So now that it is 90+ everyday on my ride home from work I'm wondering what people are doing to stay cool. Mesh helps but once it's over 95 it just feels like a heat gun and I'm actually more comfortable in my olympia one piece.

Yesterday I discovered how amazing soaking a t-shirt in ice water then riding in perforated leathers works. Camelbak let me re-soak as needed.

What tricks are people using when they ride in 95+ weather. As nice as a liquid cooled shirt (http://www.coolshirt.net/motorcycle-cool-bag.html) sounds I'm not ready to go that far yet.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Wet bandana around the neck. Evaporative cooling is key here.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
If its a dry heat, staying hydrated and dealing with it is my solution. If its hot as balls and humid (almost never happens in California), I just take a car.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm riding work related for the first time tomorrow. Not a motorcycle related job sadly. Bad thing: It will be cold and rainy. Good thing: Using my own vehicle pays 3.65 NOK/km. According to fuelly.com, I'm currently spending 0.74 NOK/km on gas. So a nice little profit on 178 x 2 km.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

redscare posted:

If its hot as balls and humid

Yup that describes East Tennessee perfectly.

I'll give the wet bandana a try tomorrow if I remember, sounds like a good way to get evaporation without soaking my work shirts.