Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

What is speed and strength on par with quality wise? Agv sport, icon etc?

My first textile before I moved up to leather was a Speed and Strength. I'd say quality wise they're a bit better than ICON but this is from very limited experience. Only had the jacket about 3 months and I never went down but it was pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I'm starting to look at leather 2 piece suits a bit more seriously, and as I need a slimmer cut, I'm looking at A* and Dainese. However, the prices are a bit more than I was hoping to spend (900+) Is it possible to find a decent 2 piece suit that will fit a 36/38 chest and still be around 600/700? I saw the AGV sport 2 piece which seemed like a decent candidate but the smallest size it comes in is size 42 :(

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

bladesamurai posted:

I'm starting to look at leather 2 piece suits a bit more seriously, and as I need a slimmer cut, I'm looking at A* and Dainese. However, the prices are a bit more than I was hoping to spend (900+) Is it possible to find a decent 2 piece suit that will fit a 36/38 chest and still be around 600/700? I saw the AGV sport 2 piece which seemed like a decent candidate but the smallest size it comes in is size 42 :(

Does AGV use Euro sizing? In which case a 42 would be a US 32 (subtract 10).

e: apparently not, so nevermind. Jesus, who only goes down to a US42??

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I found that the Alpinestars SG-1 is what I'm looking for: comes in a 2 piece, is a more reasonable price, and is perforated. However, now I can't find it except in the previously mentioned way too big sizes. Is this just a discontinued product?

e: maybe my best bet is to just get another set of textiles... I just figured that if I have to replace my pants and jacket I might as well spend a little extra and get some leather that will last. I was figuring that I'd get a 2 piece leather suit, wear the jacket + textile pants for commuting and wear the full suit for weekend trips. I have an SV650N so I'm not in a race tuck, I guess I should be avoiding the 2 piece suits altogether? I don't usually ride fully upright but if the suit forces me into a tuck to be comfortable that wouldn't be great.

bsamu fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 31, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

bladesamurai posted:

Check out newenough.com I picked up an Alpinestars 1pc there a few years back for $500 something in size 40 US / 50 Euro.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Well I just placed an ordered for some Speed and Strength gloves. A pair of Moment of Truth SP to replace my dying Alpinestars SMX6 and a pair of Twist of Fate SX because gear. I'll report back when they get here, hopefully by the end of the week.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Russian Bear posted:

What is speed and strength on par with quality wise? Agv sport, icon etc?
I'd put them on the same level as other mid-range gear manufacturers. Cortech, Joe Rocket, Scorpion, etc. If they made a size that fit me I wouldn't hesitate to buy a S+S 1 piece.

bladesamurai: The SG-1 is discontinued, which would likely be why you're finding it cheaper than most other suits. Another thing you can do instead of looking at gear specifically branded as a Two Piece; look at buying a pair of leather pants and a leather jacket separately. Make sure they have a FULL CIRCUMFERENCE zipper and you'll be fine. I have a A/S Vector jacket matched with A/S Track pants that I use for trackdays and whatnot, even though it isn't sold as a set.

Also, don't waste your time with Dainese. I'm about a 36 chest and NOTHING Dainese makes fits me. I've tried everything from a size 34 to a 38 in their stuff. The sizing is not consistent whatsoever between models and everything fits me terribly. Alpinestars stuff in a 36 (or possibly a 38 in your case) fits great, though.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

-Inu- posted:

I'd put them on the same level as other mid-range gear manufacturers. Cortech, Joe Rocket, Scorpion, etc. If they made a size that fit me I wouldn't hesitate to buy a S+S 1 piece.

Also, don't waste your time with Dainese. I'm about a 36 chest and NOTHING Dainese makes fits me. I've tried everything from a size 34 to a 38 in their stuff. The sizing is not consistent whatsoever between models and everything fits me terribly. Alpinestars stuff in a 36 (or possibly a 38 in your case) fits great, though.

If you're willing to take the plunge bladesamurai, RS taichi is good option for us slimjims. I'm rocking their 826 jacket(48) in and boots out leather pants(m) @ 120ish pounds. It would cost you around $800 though......

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Yeah, getting stuff sized/custom made is a pain in the rear end.

When I called up Vanson to get one made the girl on the phone literally laughed at me when she heard my measurements. 6'4, 235, almost nine hundred bucks just to get a few inches added to the length because my torso is long.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

A Duck! posted:

Yeah, getting stuff sized/custom made is a pain in the rear end.

When I called up Vanson to get one made the girl on the phone literally laughed at me when she heard my measurements. 6'4, 235, almost nine hundred bucks just to get a few inches added to the length because my torso is long.

Tried asking Barnacle Bill?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Finally got my Corazzo jacket. I really love the fit and cut, but the color is strange. It's supposed to be "gray" and looked fine on the website, but the actual one I got is sort of a strange greenish color.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Finally got my Corazzo jacket. I really love the fit and cut, but the color is strange. It's supposed to be "gray" and looked fine on the website, but the actual one I got is sort of a strange greenish color.

Pictures? How's the armor? Which one did you get?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

Pictures? How's the armor? Which one did you get?

I got the speedway mesh gray with a black stripe. I'll see if I can post some pictures but I'm probably returning it as I really don't like the color. The back protector is big and thick; by far the best I've ever seen come with a jacket. The elbows and shoulders have pretty much your standard elbow and shoulder armor.

Unless I can get used to this color, my dilemma is whether or not to just return it or to try and swap it for brown.

lovely cell-phone picture, but you can sort of see the weird color here. It actually looks even less gray in person:

For the sake of contrast, look at the "Cor" visible from the "Corazzo" logo on the chest. That logo is what most people think of when they hear "gray" and the rest of the jacket is dramatically different.

SlightlyMadman fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 31, 2011

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a helmet for riding, and I was just wondering what some brands are that you guys recommend or would stay away from? I'm going to try some on this weekend, and I'm looking in the $200 to $300 price range. The only brand I'm familiar with is Shoei, because my dad has worn them as long as I can remember...the only problem with those helmets is the price is a little outside my range. Is the price range I'm looking at appropriate for a full face helmet, or do I need to look to spend more like $400?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's a fine price range, but the most important thing is fit. An ill fitting helmet will not protect you as well. You can read here:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html
About how the most expensive helmet doesn't always protect the best. I don't wear SNELL helmets anymore as a result of that study, preferring the Euro ECE/BSI standards.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

americanzero4128 posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a helmet for riding, and I was just wondering what some brands are that you guys recommend or would stay away from? I'm going to try some on this weekend, and I'm looking in the $200 to $300 price range. The only brand I'm familiar with is Shoei, because my dad has worn them as long as I can remember...the only problem with those helmets is the price is a little outside my range. Is the price range I'm looking at appropriate for a full face helmet, or do I need to look to spend more like $400?

Sparx S-07 is my favorite value helmet, it was pretty much everything I wanted save for being carbon fiber and having a photochromic visor and it only cost me around $100. Only slight caveat is the back vents can't be closed so it's not good for cold weather. On the plus side, it has vents in the visor so it's great for warm weather. Other than that whatever fits well is good. Snell 2010 standard is much better than the 2005 standard, previously I would only buy ECE 22.05 helmets but I'd be fine with Snell 2010 now.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I really like my GMax helmets, they run about $120 for the GM68s (19 vents, holy poo poo) and they fit my oversized rather round head very well. It even won helmet of the year on Web Bike World!

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
If anybody needs a size small blue scorpion stinger, I have one for sale in the gear thread.

Best jacket I've ever owned but I don't need two. Please somebody buy it!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Any opinions on Firstgear's Mesh Tex jackets? I just rode out to the store for a minute in my regular jacket and came back drenched. A DC summer demands a more breathable jacket.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

ought ten posted:

Any opinions on Firstgear's Mesh Tex jackets? I just rode out to the store for a minute in my regular jacket and came back drenched. A DC summer demands a more breathable jacket.

I bought one last summer, but I'm not crazy about the style of it so I've been looking for something else. Other than that, it's a great jacket and extremely well ventilated. Would a Large fit you? I live in Baltimore.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Not sure, I haven't tried any on. How's it fit? I'm 5'9" 160 lbs and generally go for medium. What don't you like about the style?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Just a little too modern. When I bought it I was riding a GS500, but I've got a Bonneville now and prefer something with a more traditional style. It fits me really well, but I'm 6'1" and 185lbs so a medium probably would suit you better, but you're welcome to try it on if you're even in Baltimore and want to visit a creepy internet guy to try his clothes on. I'd still recommend it though if you like the style at all.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

SlightlyMadman posted:

Just a little too modern. When I bought it I was riding a GS500, but I've got a Bonneville now and prefer something with a more traditional style. It fits me really well, but I'm 6'1" and 185lbs so a medium probably would suit you better, but you're welcome to try it on if you're even in Baltimore and want to visit a creepy internet guy to try his clothes on. I'd still recommend it though if you like the style at all.

The styling philosophy behind the Concours was apparently "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I'd need something distinctly '80s to match the style of my '06. But that's not really a concern. If I can find a good deal on a medium I'll probably snag it, otherwise I'll let you know if I'm in B'more anytime soon. Thanks for the good advice.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Well, the Shanghai sweat shop just down the road from the iPod factory has been working overtime to come up with new designs for the Summer 2011 Wal-Mart quasi-patriotic moto T-shirt line. Back by popular demand, AKA we don't want to add 12 cents to unit cost, its....RIDE ON FREEDOM.

Are Ride On and Freedom to be taken as two separate but related ideas? Do they actually mean "Ride On, Freedom" as a salute to its existence and a wish for its immortality? Is the motorcycle itself Freedom and a thing to be ridden? Is this gnawing ambiguity the key to its ongoing popularity? Have any of these questions entered the mind of a single Wal-Mart shopper besides me?

I don't know. But I do know that no matter where you happen to be riding this summer, no matter how wet, funky, angry and depressed you get, this shirt is no more than 3 exits away. It'll be waiting. It will be available in your size. It will cost slightly more than a gallon of gas. It will say to the world Dude, I was very nearly offed by a semi carrying inflatable pool toys, I really don't have the TIME for hipster irony.

Ride on...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
God I want that shirt. Perhaps I shall stop one of the 4 Wal*Mart super centers near me and pick one up.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Oh man, I know this is a motorcycle forum, but the one beneath it ... the humor is sublime! Get it? Mount Rushmore is made out of rocks! Give me back my headphones george washington, you are a monument!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Lincoln wearing Bose Triports? You'd think he'd be able to get a decent pair.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

SlightlyMadman posted:

Oh man, I know this is a motorcycle forum, but the one beneath it ... the humor is sublime! Get it? Mount Rushmore is made out of rocks! Give me back my headphones george washington, you are a monument!

Right-O. And notice that Lady Liberty gets ape hangers, which is wholly appropriate given that her arms are 42 feet long. Ordinarily I hate the things, but she gets a pass.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
Anyone have a coupon for MotorcycleGear.com they're not gonna use? I'm looking to pick up some textile gear and maybe some luggage.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I hope by "motorcyclegear.com" you mean wal-mart, because the only textile gear you'll ever need was just posted on this page. They're almost half a denier and have amazing protective features like short sleeves to armor your shoulders. Pro tip: buy two and cut the front off one to use as a bandana so you don't need to wear a helmet.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Someone posted a picture of his helmet somewhere on these forums but I can't find out where. The helmet was a sick $600 (Bell?) with crazy yellow/light blue sun decals. I remember another goon one-upping him with his sick $600 helmet in similar design. Now, I estimate that, at best, 20% of what I just said is actually true.

I just want one.

Also, I want to upgrade from my generic textile gear to something a little more good looking/comfortable/safe/that breathes better. I ride my bike all the time and would appreciate not showing up at places all sweaty. What's the general opinion on leathers with mesh stripes? What brands do you recommend? While I agree that having two different coats is a better idea, I figure that I can go with a lighter jacket and build up with more coats underneath when it gets colder.

This probably gets asked a lot but what about boots that don't look like moon boots? I ride around with my work boots and while they're appropriate protection, I would like actual motorcycle boots that are somewhat more fashionable/are more discreet than work boots.

Lastly, has anyone ordered such gear from a Canadian website and has good feedback? The markup at the local XTREME BIKEZ SHOP is killing me.

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

My Caberg Hyper X came in on Tuesday, and I have to say the review on webbikeworld was spot on.

The helmet is extremely light, with amazing visibility, air flow, and noise reduction. It isn't street legal in the US, so be aware of that.

One thing to take into consideration if you have a head that is not triangle shaped, or if you have a chin with some weight behind it, is that the helmet is very tapered at the bottom. My Jay Leno style chin touches the removable chin guard if the helmet moves even slightly. In order to put the helmet on the manual instructs that you partially detach the chin bar to fit your head in the helmet.

I'll post more once I've got more mileage on it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

internet inc posted:

This probably gets asked a lot but what about boots that don't look like moon boots? I ride around with my work boots and while they're appropriate protection, I would like actual motorcycle boots that are somewhat more fashionable/are more discreet than work boots.

I cannot overemphasize my love for my Sidi Sport Rains:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/sport_rain_motorcycle_boots.html

You can tell they're motorcycle boots if you look at them, but they're not HEY LOOK AT ME I'M A POWER RANGER or anything like that. They're also very comfortable and I wear them all day at work. I've had them on for two low-speed crashes now, one of which involved the bike pretty much falling down on my leg. If I had just been wearing normal work boots when that happened, I could have crushed my ankle.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
Just picked up a Scorpion Ventech jacket (http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/jackets_and_vests/mesh_jackets/scorpion/ventech_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html).

I really like this jacket alot. It kept me from getting super sweaty in a yesterday; 102 degree heat. This is a mesh jacket but the mesh weave is so tight it looks and feels like textile.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

SlightlyMadman posted:

I cannot overemphasize my love for my Sidi Sport Rains:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/sport_rain_motorcycle_boots.html

I'm wearing a pair of these right now that I picked up used. Very comfortable, waterproof and offer decent protection. Only downside I've noticed so far is they don't flow any air due to that nice waterproofing...gets a bit toasty.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
This is getting on my nerves.

I wanted a Pink Helion HJC CL-16 for my girlfriend so she can go racing (and potentially riding) and now that they are discontinued, all the online stores in Canada will let you go through the entire order process, and then email you two days later saying "HUMM OH I GUESS WE DON'T HAVE THAT, WANNA CANCEL?"

gently caress off. If I can't buy it, don't let me order this. I've gone through this twice now.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Ziploc posted:

"HUMM OH I GUESS WE DON'T HAVE THAT, WANNA CANCEL?"

I god-damned hate that. I ordered a jacket, got an order confirmation letter with "shipped" status, waited 2 weeks for it and when I called them asking where it was they said they never had it in stock and I shouldn't have been able to order it.

:psyduck:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, got two new pieces of gear this weekend.

One was my Vanson competition weight cafe racer jacket. Very high quality, even if it doesn't have armor.

The other is this piece of Freedom :911:

Ride on Freedom, Ride on...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Armyman25 posted:

So, got two new pieces of gear this weekend.

The other is this piece of Freedom :911:

Ride on Freedom, Ride on...

:911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911: + ∞ (:911:)

This thing's catching on like wildfire. Well, more like the song Wildfire, not an actual wildfire. Well, more like a guitarist on Youtube covering Wildfire, not the original artist. Well, more like someone's dad on the back deck playing Wildfire at their 8th birthday party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OIOKX0w5SA

Strangely, someone in the blogosphere also dissected the tagline and made nearly the same observations. So to answer my own question, yes, at least one other Wal-Mart shopper has entertained these dark thoughts.

http://clucaspage.blogspot.com/2010/06/ride-on-comma-freedom.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

internet inc posted:

Lastly, has anyone ordered such gear from a Canadian website and has good feedback? The markup at the local XTREME BIKEZ SHOP is killing me.

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/

I just ordered a scorpion exo-400 helmet, Shift Hybrid jacket and hybrid pants and I got them the next day even though I live across the country. My helmet didn't ship immediately and when I called customer service they were very helpful. I will definitely use them again.

Also I have a pair of Icon Super Duty boots. They look fairly normal but I wish they went just a little bit more above my ankle, other than that I really enjoy them( not as much as my Alpinestars SMX-plus boots though.