Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I haven't read any of the FotJ books, but I'm so conflicted by what sound like completely retarded plots and the belief that Allston can do no wrong.

Allston hasn't done a good book since 2006, so I don't know why you would still have that conviction. He did a very good job setting up LOTF with Betrayal, but really after that one he's fully complicit in how bad LOTF was and FOTJ is. Just because he's not as actively terrible as Denning and Traviss doesn't make his work in those series good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

~Coxy posted:

Luke also fell down a bottomless pit in Bespin if you recall! By the time he reached the bottom he had slowed to a fairly safe falling speed.

Actually the only reason he didnt die is because instead of just splatting against a flat surface, he fell onto a gradually sloped surface that slowed him down as he traveled down it.

It isnt the fall that kills you, its the sudden stop at the bottom. Luke didnt have that sudden stop
:goonsay:

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah, between shock of daddy issues and shock of missing hand, Luke probably wasn't in any condition to try to slow his fall or anything.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
It really is laughable how stupid the Lost Tribe of the Sith is.I was replaying through Knights of the Old Republic 2 and was astonished at how much deeper those three sith were than the entire Lost Tribe of the Sith. Everyone in the Tribe, including Vestara are generic and boring and their sole redeeming quality is to reaffirm how much of a badass Luke is.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

That DICK! posted:

Is that comic real? or is it a what-if sorta deal or what?

Actually, that comic I posted was a fan-comic posted on theforce. It was never finished, though, especially as Ep 2 came out.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mister Roboto posted:

Actually, that comic I posted was a fan-comic posted on theforce. It was never finished, though, especially as Ep 2 came out.

Wow, Im impressed. By the art, not the story. Oh god not the story.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gutcruncher posted:

Wow, Im impressed. By the art, not the story. Oh god not the story.

It came out when I was like 10, just after Menace, and everyone wanted more Darth Maul. This was before wookiepedia and no one had established his species as Zebroxxzes or his origins or even really Darth Sidious' role.

I can see how someone who grew up on the OT would be really motivated to start drawing/writing Maul stories as soon as they got home from the movies. He was the biggest thing to hit Star Wars since...well, Star Wars.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Darth Maul is a Zabrak, you guys, stop calling him a Zebroxxz or a Zebra or whatever.
:goonsay:x infinity

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

He did a very good job setting up LOTF with Betrayal, but really after that one he's fully complicit in how bad LOTF was and FOTJ is.

You mean the book with the robotic Anakin that controlled Centerpoint and the Solos and Skywalkers fighting over...uh I don't know...State's rights? Oh and the bureaucratic Sith Master!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Darth Maul is a Zabrak, you guys, stop calling him a Zebroxxz or a Zebra or whatever.
:goonsay:x infinity

I remember there was a Darth Maul-focused issue of Star Wars Tales that had several pretty fun stories, one of which was Luke going to the Zabrak planet to learn more about Darth Maul, and getting a bunch of static from a local historian who hated how Maul was the only famous Zabrak, and everyone assumed all Zabraks were just like him.

I see what you did there, forgotten Star Wars Tales author.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I remember there was a Darth Maul-focused issue of Star Wars Tales that had several pretty fun stories, one of which was Luke going to the Zabrak planet to learn more about Darth Maul, and getting a bunch of static from a local historian who hated how Maul was the only famous Zabrak, and everyone assumed all Zabraks were just like him.

I see what you did there, forgotten Star Wars Tales author.

Why would Luke want to find out more about Darth Maul?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

You never know when a hologhost may suddenly attack.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

You never know when a hologhost may suddenly attack.

:doh:

Why did I even have to ask?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
You know, it occurs to me that under the the rule of two Sith, Anakin killed Palpatine, making him the Sith Master. And earlier, he wanted Luke to become his apprentice.

And then Luke DOES kill the new Sith Master Vader, albeit peacefully, by removing his helmet. That means...Luke is the new Sith Lord.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

You mean the book with the robotic Anakin that controlled Centerpoint and the Solos and Skywalkers fighting over...uh I don't know...State's rights? Oh and the bureaucratic Sith Master!

No that was all later. Betrayal was Jacen captured by the vong and vergere tormenting him the whole time for reasons he could never figure out but that one or the other of the series claims was because she was prepping him to be a sith.

Mister Roboto posted:

You know, it occurs to me that under the the rule of two Sith, Anakin killed Palpatine, making him the Sith Master. And earlier, he wanted Luke to become his apprentice.

And then Luke DOES kill the new Sith Master Vader, albeit peacefully, by removing his helmet. That means...Luke is the new Sith Lord.
But Luke never actually became Vader's apprentice, so does it still count?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Torael_7 posted:

No that was all later. Betrayal was Jacen captured by the vong and vergere tormenting him the whole time for reasons he could never figure out but that one or the other of the series claims was because she was prepping him to be a sith.

But Luke never actually became Vader's apprentice, so does it still count?

He comes mighty close to killing Vader and becoming a Sith...

Also, Yoda says Luke doesn't become a full Jedi until he "confronts Vader."

Arguably, you can see he only really confronted him face-to-face in the final mask removing moment. Meaning he became a Jedi at that moment AND killed the last Sith.

And since the rule of two says you have to kill the current Master to become the new master...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

But the rule of two doesn't say that whoever kills a Sith becomes a Sith, does it?

Because that would actually kind of cool.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Torael_7 posted:

No that was Traitor, written by Stover and a highlight of the EU.

Betrayal was written by Alston. The mediocre nature of the book did little to warn us of the shitflinging that was to come. It was also the book that revealed Vergere as a Sith which cheapened the hell out of the character.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

To be fair to Allston some of the stuff from Betrayal is firmly Denning's fault, since it had to set up the series plot points that Denning came up with. Also the whole Anakin droid thing at the time I gave a pass to because I thought it would play a major role in the series. I don't think it was even mentioned again, was it?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I ended up rewatching Episode III in work last night and the one thing I oddly noticed is that, the longer the series has gone on, the closer fighters seem to be flying together.

In A New Hope they're a fair distance as they approach the Death Star but by ep III they're practically trading paint. Anyone else spot this?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Flipswitch posted:

In A New Hope they're a fair distance as they approach the Death Star but by ep III they're practically trading paint. Anyone else spot this?

As far as the prequel is concerned, the fighters getting packed together is just George Lucas and Rick Berman compensating for no real story, focus, or tone by jamming the frames full of CGI noise and 'excitement.' Everything gets jammed together, not just fighters. Big ships, asteroids, missiles, tanks, droids, pew pew, you name it, they're smooshing as much of it on screen as they can.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So in Star Wars TV show news Lucas claims that they have "50 hours" of scripts written for the show. Of course they don't have ANYTHING else ready yet but that's some news I guess?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

So in Star Wars TV show news Lucas claims that they have "50 hours" of scripts written for the show. Of course they don't have ANYTHING else ready yet but that's some news I guess?

It's news because it's the first time in 20 years that he wrote the script before filming was completed.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

No that was Traitor, written by Stover and a highlight of the EU.

Betrayal was written by Alston. The mediocre nature of the book did little to warn us of the shitflinging that was to come. It was also the book that revealed Vergere as a Sith which cheapened the hell out of the character.

How the gently caress did I mix those two up? :eng99:

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I've been following this thread since the first page of the last incarnation and oddly enough I don't remember this video ever being posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BMgegut3UM

It's not the pinnacle of comedy or anything, but I got a chuckle out of it. (If only it were the true story.)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tensokuu posted:

I've been following this thread since the first page of the last incarnation and oddly enough I don't remember this video ever being posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BMgegut3UM

It's not the pinnacle of comedy or anything, but I got a chuckle out of it. (If only it were the true story.)

Looks better than Fanboys.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
In some scifi, cross species gently caress like it isn't a thing at all. I noticed there doesn't seem to be a lot of interspecies romance in SW, but it might be because I've mostly just seen the movies and all I remember is a bunch of different species getting hard for that twilik dancer at Jaba's. Does it ever happen? Is it frowned upon? Do people ever have species mingled children? If so, is it mostly similar species like Zabrak and Human or can super longneck Jedi council guy have a run at some sweet Ewok honey?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

You have just opened Pandora's Box. There's no going back now, Harvey Mantaco.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Tensokuu posted:

You have just opened Pandora's Box. There's no going back now, Harvey Mantaco.

Han on Greedo, the only time he wouldn't shoot first :colbert:.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Harvey Mantaco posted:

In some scifi, cross species gently caress like it isn't a thing at all. I noticed there doesn't seem to be a lot of interspecies romance in SW, but it might be because I've mostly just seen the movies and all I remember is a bunch of different species getting hard for that twilik dancer at Jaba's. Does it ever happen? Is it frowned upon? Do people ever have species mingled children? If so, is it mostly similar species like Zabrak and Human or can super longneck Jedi council guy have a run at some sweet Ewok honey?

Gavin Darklighter is a literal goatfucker.

Also, Jabba was born with a genetic mutation that causes him to be sexually attracted to other species over his own (hence Leia's slave outfit), which earned him the ridicule of his fellow Hutts.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I had a feeling somebody is soon is going to post that Gavin Darklighter image as soon as Harvey asked that question.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tensokuu posted:

Would love to see the scene in that movie when Lucas finds out that he's Leia's father.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Locutus of Bald posted:

Also, Jabba was born with a genetic mutation that causes him to be sexually attracted to other species over his own (hence Leia's slave outfit), which earned him the ridicule of his fellow Hutts.

This is the funniest thing I've ever heard. It is now my favorite fact about Star Wars :v:

e. this is stupid, but I laughed.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 1, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Locutus of Bald posted:

It's not a mutation, he's just a big ol' creepy pervert. He's the Hutt equivalent of those guys who wear "FBI - Federal BOOB Inspector" t-shirts or furries or whatever. Who is also a mob boss.

...that must be the absolute worst mob to work for, ever.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I had a feeling somebody is soon is going to post that Gavin Darklighter image as soon as Harvey asked that question.

I can't bother looking for the other one right now, but this is from the same issue.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
If it's the image I think you mean, I posted it in this thread, and it's definitely Wes Janson and not Gavin Darklighter. Hang on.

e. This it?

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I picked up the second tpb of the X-Wing comics and I'd just like to remind everyone that Wes totally tapped that goat Bothan:

e. I like that the filename on Wookiepedia is "Wes_and_female_bothan", just in case anyone were wondering whether it was a guy or a girl.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

...that must be the absolute worst mob to work for, ever.

Considering the amount of guys that were plotting to kill him in the EU just before poo poo went down at the start of ROTJ I'm amazed Jabba got anything done at all aside from slobbing it up space slug style.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
As far as interspecies relations goes, Star Wars also really doesn't have any cross-species unions resulting in any half-breeds like Star Trek does.

There are some related sub-species which I think might be able to mate, but not many.

So you're not going to get a half-Rodian half-Twi'lek character running around.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teek posted:

As far as interspecies relations goes, Star Wars also really doesn't have any cross-species unions resulting in any half-breeds like Star Trek does.

There are some related sub-species which I think might be able to mate, but not many.

The Clone Wars has at least two instances of this. Including Human-Twi'lek hybrids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Teek posted:

Yeah, but aliens in Star Trek are just humans with bumps and stuff on their head. Trill have those little dots, Klingons have ridges, Andorians are blue/have those little antennae. It isn't creepy to imagine two people doing the funky across species in Star Trek. In Star Wars, aliens are like human beings after an accidentat a nuclear reactor. They've got third eyes, tails coming out of their heads, some of them are cat people, and so on. It's just a little too weird to picture people getting nasty with an orange cat-person. Especially in publicized "canon" EU sources.