Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Horns posted:

Make sure to verify the game cache through Steam. I was having the same problem as you even with all my mods disabled, and verifying the cache was the only thing that fixed it. Had to do it twice, in fact.

Tried that. Didn't do a drat thing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Co-sine posted:

I wish FOOK would let us pick and choose which bits we like. There are some bits I really like, but I don't want my hat to be sun dependant :v:

Open up the Plugin in NVEdit, remove the parts you don't like.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

ETPC posted:

Tried that. Didn't do a drat thing :(
Oh. :( drat dude. I don't know what to tell you then, other than try disabling your mods one at a time. Start with the big ones like Project Nevada, The Armory and FOOK, and work your way down to the smaller ones. You could also try checking the recent comments and boards for those big mods on Nexus. If it is a conflict with one of them (I have a feeling there's a good chance of this), there would have to be other people having the same problem.

Also, you're probably going to have to sit through the intro cutscene every time. I tried to drop a save after it, and even when I could get HH running correctly past the opening, that one save would still crash every time. It sucks, I know. I can't imagine why they made it unskippable.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Is the Weapon Animation Replacer compatible with The Armory? Some of the iron sights with the new guns are pretty off (PP-2000, Winchester, Five-SeveN and vz.48b are the most visible so far), and I'm hoping it's just a mod conflict instead of an innate issue.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

scamtank posted:

Is the Weapon Animation Replacer compatible with The Armory?

It's compulsory.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

scamtank posted:

Is the Weapon Animation Replacer compatible with The Armory? Some of the iron sights with the new guns are pretty off (PP-2000, Winchester, Five-SeveN and vz.48b are the most visible so far), and I'm hoping it's just a mod conflict instead of an innate issue.

Yeah, all the sights are fixed in 2.0 along with a million other fixes.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

edit: bahaha oops, I'm a moron and didn't realize 2.0 isn't out yet

scamtank fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 31, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

scamtank posted:

edit: bahaha oops, I'm a moron and didn't realize 2.0 isn't out yet

It's coming. I think all that's left to do in the main esm is the withamno entries now and once the esm is done all the optionals can be updated to it. Then release!

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

is there an easy way to up the carry limit?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Starkk posted:

Looked through the wiki page about console commands couldn't find anything but I downloaded this tent mod which is great for managing your inventory. You can screw with the settings to make the item weightless and give you an additional 200 of carrying capacity.

E: vvvvvvv what he said vvvvvvv

csm141 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 1, 2011

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Starkk posted:

player.modav carryweight <number you want to add>

Word of warning from the wiki "Note: When changing maximum carry weight, note that changes are relative to your current carryweight. Specifying a value adds that number to your current carryweight, ex. if your carryweight is currently 500, player.modav carryweight 150 will result in 500+150=650, and player.modav carryweight -150 will result in 500-150=350."

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

thx guys

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I liked the smoke effect of this mod http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38002 but didn't like anything else about how it worked, so I made this:

• Cigarette cartons and cigarette packs are in the AID section now, you can open them by using them (1 carton = 10 packs, 1 pack = 20 Cigarettes)

• Opening up a Pack adds 20 Cigarettes to the armor section, which can be equipped
    like the wearable cigarettes from that mod + smoking effect. These cigarettes add +5 Speech (closest we get to a coolness factor) and slowly burn down. You can see how much of the Cigarette is left by checking out it's condition in the Inventory. They last about 4 minutes. Repeated useage causes Tobacco addiction. You can also put them out by unequipping and start smoking them again later by reequipping. When a Cigarette burns out it dissapears and you get a helpful message that you're done smoking.

• All items come with rad and spiffy pipboy icons.

• I removed everything else from the above mod, especially the animations that break the player.

Behind the scenes
There is no way to activate items in the misc section in NV, so the normal clutter objects get turned into "chems" (same way as magazines are technically chems) on addition to the players inventory. Their stats, value, weight etc. are exactly the same so it's a pretty neat transition. As it is impossible for items to have fraction costs and I didn't want to make cigarettes repairable, they are worthless so you can't trade with them. You can still sell the packs and cartons normally. They never burn out for NPCs, so they theoretically give a permanent +5 Speech bonus to them as long as they are worn. As speech is worthless for NPCs this isn't really a huge benefit. Don't use it with the original mod, also it is incompatible with anything that changes clutter cigarette packs and clutter cigarette cartons but should work fine with texture and mesh replacers. You also don't need to reopen your Inventory on "opening" a pack like it is with many mods, it gets refreshed which can cause a tiny pause if you have lots of stuff. (I still found this preferable to close and reopen) You also can't see how many cigarettes you have left as long as you have a started one, this is a limitation of the engine. I could have made a workaround but it would have caused memory bloat when you would have had many cigarettes so I decided against it. Needs NVSE.

I'm currently working on a revised crafting system and stalker-like NPCs that travel nevada like the player does, but I thought I'd post this here for some people to enjoy.

Full version if you dont have the above mod:
UsableCigarettes.7z - 1.04MB

EDIT: removed the .esp version because it lacked icons, go here http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42153

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 2, 2011

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Aw man, I had a similar idea for a mod, but never really got the courage to work through it.

Glad to see someone had a bit more willingness to implement it and get it done though. I kept getting stuck at the conversion of objects.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I remember looking through all those sorts of mods and none of them looked appealing for one reason or another, so this is good. I prefer it be reduced weapon spread (see: steady) -- like how they work in Metal Gear -- or maybe just approximate the effects of the coyote chew, although I can probably just change it myself.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Positronic Spleen posted:

I remember looking through all those sorts of mods and none of them looked appealing for one reason or another, so this is good. I prefer it be reduced weapon spread (see: steady) -- like how they work in Metal Gear -- or maybe just approximate the effects of the coyote chew, although I can probably just change it myself.
If you do, please upload it somewhere and post a link to it. That sounds like it would be pretty neat.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
What does nicotine addition do (unless I missed it in your post or it's the same as in that mod)? The only reason I never tried any of those smoking mods was that they all had that downside :( How easy would it be to modify that in the editor?

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
Is there any way of changing how your character looks like after the intro in Doc Mitchell's house? I accidentaly made my character too goddamn white, he looks like an albino.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Ace Oliveira posted:

Is there any way of changing how your character looks like after the intro in Doc Mitchell's house? I accidentaly made my character too goddamn white, he looks like an albino.

When you try to leave the Goodsprings area, it will give you a chance to review your character and make changes.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Police Automaton posted:

I liked the smoke effect of this mod http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38002 but didn't like anything else about how it worked, so I made this:

• Cigarette cartons and cigarette packs are in the AID section now, you can open them by using them (1 carton = 10 packs, 1 pack = 20 Cigarettes)

• Opening up a Pack adds 20 Cigarettes to the armor section, which can be equipped
    like the wearable cigarettes from that mod + smoking effect. These cigarettes add +5 Speech (closest we get to a coolness factor) and slowly burn down. You can see how much of the Cigarette is left by checking out it's condition in the Inventory. They last about 4 minutes. Repeated useage causes Tobacco addiction. You can also put them out by unequipping and start smoking them again later by reequipping. When a Cigarette burns out it dissapears and you get a helpful message that you're done smoking.

• All items come with rad and spiffy pipboy icons.

• I removed everything else from the above mod, especially the animations that break the player.

Behind the scenes
There is no way to activate items in the misc section in NV, so the normal clutter objects get turned into "chems" (same way as magazines are technically chems) on addition to the players inventory. Their stats, value, weight etc. are exactly the same so it's a pretty neat transition. As it is impossible for items to have fraction costs and I didn't want to make cigarettes repairable, they are worthless so you can't trade with them. You can still sell the packs and cartons normally. They never burn out for NPCs, so they theoretically give a permanent +5 Speech bonus to them as long as they are worn. As speech is worthless for NPCs this isn't really a huge benefit. Don't use it with the original mod, also it is incompatible with anything that changes clutter cigarette packs and clutter cigarette cartons but should work fine with texture and mesh replacers. You also don't need to reopen your Inventory on "opening" a pack like it is with many mods, it gets refreshed which can cause a tiny pause if you have lots of stuff. (I still found this preferable to close and reopen) You also can't see how many cigarettes you have left as long as you have a started one, this is a limitation of the engine. I could have made a workaround but it would have caused memory bloat when you would have had many cigarettes so I decided against it. Needs NVSE.

I'm currently working on a revised crafting system and stalker-like NPCs that travel nevada like the player does, but I thought I'd post this here for some people to enjoy.

Full version if you dont have the above mod:
UsableCigarettes.7z - 1.04MB

only the .esp if you have the above mod (disable the original mods .esp first)
UsableCigarettes.esp - 0.01MB

This is awesome, thanks a lot. I always pick up cigarettes but then just sell them now I have a new reason to look for them.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

40Inch posted:

When you try to leave the Goodsprings area, it will give you a chance to review your character and make changes.

Thanks. I forgot that. :)

Wasn't there a mod called Gloves Be Gone that removed the Pipboy's glove? I can't find it on the Nexus for some reason. Can anyone link it?

Ace Oliveira fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 1, 2011

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

I first wanted to actually do this, but if you do the math, it would be like granting a player an almost permanent boost for very (too) cheap. You see:

1 carton of cigarettes has 10 packs, one pack of cigarettes has 20 cigarettes, that is 10*20 = 200 cigarettes. 1 cigarette works for 4 minutes, so one carton works for 800 minutes, or 13 hours and 20 minutes, so with only 6 cartons (and those things are everywhere) you'd be covered for a very long playthrough or for about 80 hours, 6 cartons having an unmodified worth of 240 caps.

That's why I gave only +5 Speech. a lot of cheap clothing offers this for very cheap as a permanent bonus, a lot of cheap clothing also offers +1 ALG or +1 PER or +1 CHR but the cigarette has the upside that it allows you to wear a normal armor with it.

So much for my explanation. In contrast coyote chew is cheap but somewhat hard to come by in big amounts, so a bigger boost there is more justified.
[/Mr. House]

In my crafting mod there will be a carryable crafting item that allows you to make special cigarettes which you can combine with some new chems, stay tuned.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 1, 2011

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I applaud your consideration for balance. I tried out the newest companion mod which is very neat, but it also gives you a permanent +30 to Barter. As in you can't remove it even by dismissing the companion. I had to turn off the mod just to get rid of it, how dare it ruin the mood of my scavenging Hardcore Expert elite run :argh:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Chinaman7000 posted:

I applaud your consideration for balance. I tried out the newest companion mod which is very neat, but it also gives you a permanent +30 to Barter. As in you can't remove it even by dismissing the companion. I had to turn off the mod just to get rid of it, how dare it ruin the mood of my scavenging Hardcore Expert elite run :argh:

A lot of mods ignore balance pretty much because there seems to be a tendency in modders wanting to make their mod something very special, you hardly come across anything that does just something simple, like the +30 barter in that mod, or normal clothing having the same armor stats as the NCR armor etc. the game is already very easy in vanilla as it is after the little curve at the start.

I thought about this and one way to give cigarettes etc. more upsides would be to make it actually negative when you use them too much, like it would be in real life. (I don't know any people who smoke nonstop without a single break while they are awake, and even though im sure people like this actually exist, they probably have problems because of it) This is actually something most chems in the game could use, Addiction in itself isn't a good downside because it's rather rare and easily fixed.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
I've been trying to change the behavior of Grim Reaper's Sprint to make it a bit more useful, without making it as overpowered as it was in FO3.

As it stands, GRS gives 20 AP after each VATS round in which you kill an enemy, however it doesn't matter whether you kill 1 or 8 enemies in a VATS round, you're always rewarded with 20 AP. I want to change it so you're rewarded with 20 AP per enemy killed in VATS.

It's possible to just focus on a single enemy in each round and use multiple rounds to maximize the amount of rewarded AP, but it's really annoying. Besides, killing 4 enemies in rapid succession is just drat satisfying.

The perk itself uses the "Player Kill AP Reward" entry point, but that's hardcoded to only trigger once per VATS round, so that seems to be a dead-end.

I've managed to get a working solution by creating a challenge that triggers its reward script on every kill, and checking for the GRS perk and the VATS mode in the script. The downside is that there doesn't seem to be a way to suppress the "challenge completed" sound and notification (or to hide an active challenge in the PIP boy, but that bothers me less) and seeing as it triggers for every kill, it gets annoying very quickly.

What other options do I have? There doesn't seem to be a "player killed something" script block and attaching an OnDeath script to every single enemy is hardly an option.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Chinaman7000 posted:

The writer of the mod must've screwed up on the dismissal script. It's not enough to strip a perk from a player, you also need to back out its changes to the player's stats. If the mod author would fix this then you could easily rebalance the perk yourself in NVEdit just by changing a single value. I did that when I was trying RTS and found out that the brahmin companion he gives you cannot be dismissed and gives a perk that adds +150 carry weight. Like it's not enough that you have a brahmin you can load up with poo poo, you also need to give the player a perk that doubles their capacity?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

quote:

What other options do I have? There doesn't seem to be a "player killed something" script block and attaching an OnDeath script to every single enemy is hardly an option.

Actually you kinda can attach an OnDeath to every enemy rather easily, by running an actor effect on them. Scripted base effects run with scope on the actor so they can have an "OnDeath" block as long as they are running, this also doesn't override an already present OnDeath block, they get executed both. There are quite a few ways to attach actor effects on targets or on people in a certain way from here on. Please keep in mind that this can probably eat quite a bit of system performance if done wrong though.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

I first wanted to actually do this, but if you do the math, it would be like granting a player an almost permanent boost for very (too) cheap. You see:

[...] with only 6 cartons (and those things are everywhere) you'd be covered for a very long playthrough [...]

That's why I gave only +5 Speech. a lot of cheap clothing offers this for very cheap as a permanent bonus, a lot of cheap clothing also offers +1 ALG or +1 PER or +1 CHR but the cigarette has the upside that it allows you to wear a normal armor with it.

So much for my explanation. In contrast coyote chew is cheap but somewhat hard to come by in big amounts, so a bigger boost there is more justified.
Yeah, I forgot that it didn't have a magnitude parameter, my idea would work better to just reduce requirements instead (like a weaker form of the perk's effect). I'm with you on balance concerns, and you make a good point about it being effectively permanent.

Police Automaton posted:

I thought about this and one way to give cigarettes etc. more upsides would be to make it actually negative when you use them too much, like it would be in real life. (I don't know any people who smoke nonstop without a single break while they are awake, and even though im sure people like this actually exist, they probably have problems because of it) This is actually something most chems in the game could use, Addiction in itself isn't a good downside because it's rather rare and easily fixed.
I think addictions could use a complete overhaul as well, maybe this would be a good reason for me to learn how to script better. The built-in addiction system is not really threatening, and too binary and random besides. Maybe it could include tolerance, too. But I don't want to take it too far, that way leads madness.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Police Automaton posted:

Actually you kinda can attach an OnDeath to every enemy rather easily, by running an actor effect on them. Scripted base effects run with scope on the actor so they can have an "OnDeath" block as long as they are running, this also doesn't override an already present OnDeath block, they get executed both. There are quite a few ways to attach actor effects on targets or on people in a certain way from here on. Please keep in mind that this can probably eat quite a bit of system performance if done wrong though.

I'm really not sure how any of the effects tie together, so I tried to model it after an existing perk. It doesn't work though, probably because I'm basicaly guessing.

GRS now points to an Ability that I created. The Ability has a base effect of type "Script" that points to my script, but my script's OnDeath is never called (for testing purpose I replaced the entire body of the OnDeath with an AddItem call).

I've tried messing around with the checkboxes on the base effect page, to no avail.

I've also been using the console to remove and re-add GRS to my character every time I tested something, just to be sure.

As far as I can tell from the GECK wiki, all these effects run on the player though. I don't see any way to tie them to a different actor, other than manually editing every create and NPC.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Police Automaton posted:

Woah, really? I didn't think that worked. Time to test that with OnHit as well.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Yeah, I forgot that it didn't have a magnitude parameter, my idea would work better to just reduce requirements instead (like a weaker form of the perk's effect). I'm with you on balance concerns, and you make a good point about it being effectively permanent.

I think addictions could use a complete overhaul as well, maybe this would be a good reason for me to learn how to script better. The built-in addiction system is not really threatening, and too binary and random besides. Maybe it could include tolerance, too. But I don't want to take it too far, that way leads madness.

I think a system that ups a variable everytime something is taken (and slowly decays over time) would work the best, having a lower treshold at which the chem starts having an effect and an upper treshold at which a chem starts having negative sideffects, both rising but getting closer together with continued usage, so it will get harder and harder to hit the sweet spot without overdosing, while making doses possible that would right out kill somebody without being used to that specific drug. The variable needs to decay slower than the drug runs out of its effect though.

Addiction in this system would work in the way of actually having negative effects when you're below the lower threshold.

Obviously the negative effects can be pretty mild and overdosing doesn't need to cause dying. I doubt somebody can realistically overdose on cigarettes.

I liked better living through chems for FO3, because it had lots of variety, (and that is always good in a game) I just felt many drugs were too "glorified" especially the hallucinogenic ones, which just hints at that most drug mods are probably done by total stoners. People in reality take drugs for specific things a game doesn't really cover because in games the character you control is a mindless robot on its own which can stay awake for 24h a day and doesn't care wading through the guts of fallen enemies for that time, so it's hard to simulate drugs in a meaningful realistic way, because let's face it, most drugs (at least being seen from the angle of performing as "modern warrior") only have negative effects and what's the point in taking them then?

When I did a little research on this on the Internet I noticed how hard it is to find objective opinions about the effects of certain drugs, they usually range from some hippie rambling on how his certain drug of choice should basically be made available to kids because it's the bestest thing ever and turns you into a living god to more conservative views that claim even talking about them could turn you into a mindless raging rape and murder machine. It's very hard to get a good perspective for someone who doesn't even drink beer.

dwazegek posted:

I'm really not sure how any of the effects tie together, so I tried to model it after an existing perk. It doesn't work though, probably because I'm basicaly guessing.

GRS now points to an Ability that I created. The Ability has a base effect of type "Script" that points to my script, but my script's OnDeath is never called (for testing purpose I replaced the entire body of the OnDeath with an AddItem call).

I've tried messing around with the checkboxes on the base effect page, to no avail.

I've also been using the console to remove and re-add GRS to my character every time I tested something, just to be sure.

As far as I can tell from the GECK wiki, all these effects run on the player though. I don't see any way to tie them to a different actor, other than manually editing every create and NPC.

Don't use references. It is a bit counter-intuitive at first (when you're used to real programming) but if you dont use a reference for your function it takes the actor the effect is running on. Make sure to check "self" on the script effect page. Also don't rely too much on the GECK wiki it's inaccurate and full of errors.

For modding purposes, its good to have a clean save that doesn't run your mod you're working on, so when you load it after changing something, it loads your mod for the "first time", you avoid a lot of weirdness from left over data that way.

Talkie Toaster posted:

Woah, really? I didn't think that worked. Time to test that with OnHit as well.

I use onactivate for Tranq Bolts for The armory's crossbow (Hi Naky!) to make knocked out enemies lootable. If it works for onactivate it probably works for every function.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Police Automaton posted:

Don't use references. It is a bit counter-intuitive at first (when you're used to real programming) but if you dont use a reference for your function it takes the actor the effect is running on.

Do you mean use "begin OnDeath" and not "begin OnDeath player"? I haven't gotten around to verifying who killed the enemy, I haven't even managed to run any script on an enemy's death.

Police Automaton posted:

I use onactivate for Tranq Bolts for The armory's crossbow (Hi Naky!) to make knocked out enemies lootable. If it works for onactivate it probably works for every function.

I'll just try stealing it from there then :)

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

dwazegek posted:

Do you mean use "begin OnDeath" and not "begin OnDeath player"? I haven't gotten around to verifying who killed the enemy, I haven't even managed to run any script on an enemy's death.

I'll just try stealing it from there then :)

"begin OnDeath" runs everytime on the actor when he dies and is attached to the effect, "OnDeath player" runs only on the player if he dies and is attached to the effect(which is probably not very useful, seeing the game is over then) I hope that clears up things.

It's not out yet but it's really simple = "begin onactivate"

EDIT: fixed a completly nonsensical part in that sentence above, sorry!

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 1, 2011

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Police Automaton posted:

"begin OnDeath" runs everytime on the actor when he dies and is attached to the effect...

I think that's where my problem lies, I haven't been able to attach an effect to an actor other than the player.

Safety Hammer
Sep 14, 2007
OK, I'm having a hell of a time getting a kar98 (specifically the one from DoD:S) into a format that NV can use. If anybody has any experience converting Source models to anything else, get in touch with me via #thearmory on synirc.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

dwazegek posted:

I think that's where my problem lies, I haven't been able to attach an effect to an actor other than the player.

IIRC You have to add the perk effect, which points to another effect, which either has the script attached to it or points to yet another effect which then has the script attached to it. It's really convoluted trying to figure it out but it's not that bad once you do. I haven't modded in forever so my memory is hazy, I just know you have to attach various effects to each other at least twice maybe three times.

The easiest way is to find something that already does mostly what you're trying to do and just reverse engineer how they do it (e.g. look at how flamers work).

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Pardon a question I am sure has come up about 10k times in this thread now, but what's the current best mod to make enemies (and yourself) get dropped by weapons in a more realistic fashion? I just reinstalled after being away from my gaming rig for 4 months, and XFO doesn't really seem to do it; I took a shotgun to one of the Criers heads in New Vegas (used one of the quickstart mods) and it only hurt her maybe 2/3rd of the way on the 5x setting with a headshot. Maybe I'm being retarded since I was level 1 at the time.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

IIRC You have to add the perk effect, which points to another effect, which either has the script attached to it or points to yet another effect which then has the script attached to it. It's really convoluted trying to figure it out but it's not that bad once you do. I haven't modded in forever so my memory is hazy, I just know you have to attach various effects to each other at least twice maybe three times.

The easiest way is to find something that already does mostly what you're trying to do and just reverse engineer how they do it (e.g. look at how flamers work).

That's the way I've got it set up now. The perk points to an ability, the ability has an effect that points to a base effect and the base effect points to the script.

But I can't get OnDeath to trigger in the script (or OnHit for that matter). The only blocks that seem to run are ScriptEffectStart, ScriptEffectUpdate and ScriptEffectFinish and every working example I've seen does all its work in those three blocks.

And even if the OnDeath would run, it'd probably be tied to the player, since the player is the one who has the perk (and, as far as I can tell, NPCs and creatures can't even have perks).

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Effect for Tranq Bolts:

code:
Scriptname AmmoCrossbowTranqBaseEffectScript

short sTranqRate
float fTimer

begin ScriptEffectStart
	set sTranqRate to 45 
End

begin ScriptEffectUpdate

set fTimer to fTimer + ScriptEffectElapsedSeconds

if(fTimer >= 1)
		DamageAV Fatigue sTranqRate
		set fTimer to 0
	EndIf

End

begin onActivate Player ; Person gets lootable by player while knocked out
	if(getAV Fatigue <= 0)
		OpenTeammateContainer 1
	else
		Activate
	EndIf
End
Effect on the Ammo itself:
code:
ScriptName AmmoCrossbowTranqScript

begin ScriptEffectStart
	CastImmediateOnSelf TranqBoltEffect
End
(Tranqbolteffect being an Actor effect the above base effect is attached to)

Thats all folks! Certainly possible. You probably just get confused by the weird way scope works in gamebryo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Hm, I can't get OnHit to work but I wonder if it's down to the script 'type'. Perhaps setting it as an Effect type, assigning it to a base effect, then changing it to an Object script would work.