Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

All I can think of is "Stop hitting yourself!" *punches own cockpit*

Maybe it's one of PTN's secret objectives, having a pilot kill themselves through comic flailing melee attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hey PTN, you're not giving the Fauxhawk enough pulse munchiness. Cluster is -1, pulse is -2.

Also, is it an Omni? Otherwise thar be some rule-fudging to get it to carry the supprise.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^ It's not an omni, but any 'Mech can carry <Redacted> at a -1 mp penalty. Last turn I just hosed up the wraparound and decided to keep it since it put C2 at point blank range for more of the players than it should have.

AtomikKrab posted:

Whitworth pilot, why in the gently caress didn't you shoot? what was the problem? cannot into guns? WHY DIDN'T YOU SHOOT?

There were no targets in range for him last turn.

wiegieman posted:

How do missiles work in vacuum? There's no atmosphere, so control surfaces are useless, and Battletech does not strike me as a setting in which munitions are guided by thrust-vectoring (which is probably lostech anyway).

They travel in a straight line and then things explode. I'm not about to discount the NARC beacon, though... it's a major advantage for the players. If nothing else, it just tells the 'Mech's targeting computer exactly the right moment to fire. Also, magic.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 2, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Combat Phase:
??? Infantry? (Ambush Ace) launches a Swarm Attack on I6 Champion (2 base + 2 surviving infantry + 0 target movement = 4): rolled (6+1) 7, succeeds!

They're here and they're the ace? You guys are in serious poo poo.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Okay guys, listen to me carefully. You are a force equipped for close range combat, with superior numbers, against a clan force. You need to be at range one as often as possible. You need to kick and punch and get all your weapons in short range. Spreading out does not help you. Backing up does not help you. Moving only one or two hexes and milling around like you're in Times Square does not help you. Don't worry about the damage that you're going to be taking on the way - if you're all in range you'll be doing just as much, and you have more mechs to spread it across. Get in there and mix it up now, and your chances of winning this scenario are good. Keep wandering in circles and you're going to fail. If you need to discuss things with each other and come up with a coherent plan, do it! Coordinate! Live together or die alone.

Also, as far as dislodging swarmers, there are options, but I'm going to hold off on saying what they are since I imagine that PTN wants some of it to be a surprise.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Get into melee range of C3 and C1 is my advice, focus everything at one of them and hopefully kill it, and melee attack with any remaining melee attacks at the one you didn't shoot if you made the kill, if you didn't make the kill hit the wounded one first then the noninjured.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dislodging Swarmers: Stop, drop, and roll?

Would that require a successful piloting check? A failed piloting check?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Nothing says <REDACTED> like punching yourself in the face.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Oh gods, first the <REDACTED> show up, and then my Wyvern gets a pulse laser/MG shredding. I guess at least i'm not as hosed as the Champion.

I'd guess based on Fraction Jackson's comments that the Clan 'mechs are going to be trying to jump in and out of maximum effective range, like the Hawk is doing; once we all hurtle towards them for some close range attacks, they'll dart back into the light side of the ship, and the Hawk'll come back over.

Either that or it's off to go gently caress with the engine.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 2, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Ah, and so they make their first appearance. Very interesting surprise, PTN.

I am amused by the Champion managing to punch itself in the head.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well, since the <REDACTED> have actually shown up I think it's time to show everyone what they look like: click to gaze upon the face of terror.

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ It's not an omni, but any 'Mech can carry <Redacted> at a -1 mp penalty. Last turn I just hosed up the wraparound and decided to keep it since it put C2 at point blank range for more of the players than it should have.
Ah, it makes sense now.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I have come up with a plan for the team if they want to hear it. everyone involved walks, and it gets 5 mechs into range 1 of c1.

EDIT:

Advanced Btech for you people.

Mechs can back up. When using a back up you can only walk with walk mps, but instead of going forward you go backwards :science: you can still turn as normal, proper use of backing up will be crucial in this round to getting you all into position.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 2, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

TerryLennox posted:

Oh god no. I've seen bad, BAAAAD stories of GMs pulling bullshit like allowing an enemy hacker to disable your Smartgun system and even some really devious ones claim that you could kill a street sam because their cyberware must have some interface port to control.

There rules specifically let you set hackable = off for any device you own, so stuff like this just power tripping GMs.

Power tripping GMs are always bad.

On topic: Oh god, one guy not shooting, one guy punching himself in the head, bwahaha.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
PTN, can a 'mech that's picked up a nasty case of the <Redacted> walk to the ship's engines and burn himself and the <Redacted> straight to hell?

Also, Arq? That is a face of terror, but he still wouldn't want to meet this guy in a dark alley. And this is just plain cooler, even if it isn't as good.

Unfortunately, we're probably never gonna see those guys, and the <Redacted> shall go unopposed. :ohdear:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zaodai posted:

I meant that you can hack someone's brain through the wireless connection in their smartlink. That's retarded from a gameplay standpoint, even if it makes sense (if you had enough time) from a networking standpoint.

Doesn't make sense from a networking standpoint, either. I don't leave my router's configuration open to any rear end in a top hat with a wireless card, you need to be there and physically plug in to a specific port. I don't leave random ports open for my server systems either, though it's goofy how many (poorly configured) webserver setups do leave open things they never ever will need.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Since they have shown up, can we stop calling em fricken <REDACTED> now?

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
I'm just going to say it now. Champion, do everyone a favor: turn off your magnets and leap into space.

e. Somehow I forgot they had jump as well as every other advantage they have.

Urcinius fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 2, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

quote:

I4 Crab Walks 3 to hex 1506!
I'm going to read this literally if you don't mind.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Urcinius posted:

I'm just going to say it now. Champion, do everyone a favor: turn off your magnets and leap into space.

They're jump infantry. They'd be back.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Urcinius posted:

You did notice that the <REDACTED> JUMPED to get onto the Champion? THEY can just fly back in a couple of turns. He cannot.

Do not do this.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

The true name of terror cannot be known until the nature of the terror is truly known
or something.
Personally, I think ???Infantry works just fine for now.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

This is the clever plan.

Planning posted:

[00:02] <Atomikkrab> I1 walks to 1602 and turns to face 1702
[00:03] <Atomikkrab> I5 backs up to 1502 and faces C1
[00:04] <Atomikkrab> I6 backs up to where I1 started and turns to face C1
[00:04] <Axe-man> i think comstar should not focus on the redacted until the mechs are dead, they can only swarm 3 people max
[00:04] <Atomikkrab> I4 turns and walks to 1503 facing I5 at the end
[00:04] <Atomikkrab> oh crud
[00:05] <Atomikkrab> I2 would have to run
[00:05] <WT_Fits> Feeling confident in your piloting skill rolls, UberJew?
[00:06] <Atomikkrab> I2 can risk it and run to 1702 and turn to face C1
[00:06] <Atomikkrab> or walk to 1802
[00:06] <Atomikkrab> I3 backs up 4
[00:06] <Atomikkrab> gets it to close range

At that point I suggest focus fire on C3 and then everyone kicks C1 since you have 4/5 kicks coming at it and can likely leg the gently caress out of it. (legging is always good, kicks have a -2 to hit (-2 is GOOD it means 2 dice lower rolled needeD)) and all 6 can pummel the C3 at point blank

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

bunnyofdoom posted:

We don't know what the code name the IS uses for them is yet!

I propose "herpes."

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Defiance Industries posted:

I propose "herpes."

I suggested Svartálfaheimr just to make people long for <REDACTED>.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also I notice that the Com Guard has no hesitation about using dishonorable tactics, unlike the noble and valorous Lyrans of Caesar's Legion.

I mean they might win, but they won't get street cred or a special set of dueling rules!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Fraction Jackson posted:

Okay guys, listen to me carefully. You are a force equipped for close range combat, with superior numbers, against a clan force. You need to be at range one as often as possible. You need to kick and punch and get all your weapons in short range. Spreading out does not help you. Backing up does not help you. Moving only one or two hexes and milling around like you're in Times Square does not help you. Don't worry about the damage that you're going to be taking on the way - if you're all in range you'll be doing just as much, and you have more mechs to spread it across. Get in there and mix it up now, and your chances of winning this scenario are good. Keep wandering in circles and you're going to fail. If you need to discuss things with each other and come up with a coherent plan, do it! Coordinate! Live together or die alone.

Also, as far as dislodging swarmers, there are options, but I'm going to hold off on saying what they are since I imagine that PTN wants some of it to be a surprise.

Let me post this again as well. BACKING UP in this case means increasing the range from you and the enemy, not the backing up movement type. You want to brawl, a lot of inner sphere mechs are BRAWLERS, they like to get up close and BRAWL. if you do not BRAWL you are a failure.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

I suggested Svartálfaheimr just to make people long for <REDACTED>.

How about The Clap? Because we were all like :golfclap: when the Champion punched itself in the face.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Chronojam posted:

How about The Clap? Because we were all like :golfclap: when the Champion punched itself in the face.

Any name you give them has to be a reference to a sexually transmitted disease now. I'm calling this.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Wait, they're "just" jump troopers? And here I was hoping for some kind of hosed up armor-plated Zergling/Xenomorph hellbreed...

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

mercenarynuker posted:

Wait, they're "just" jump troopers? And here I was hoping for some kind of hosed up armor-plated Zergling/Xenomorph hellbreed...

The thing you need to realize is that that image gives you no sense of scale.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
<Redacted> should have the IS Code name "Goon Squad." Its the only right answer.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

mercenarynuker posted:

Wait, they're "just" jump troopers?

At first they were "just" a targeting computer error :)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

<redacted> pilots without the armor are taller and larger than shaq.

the <redacted> adds a foot or so on top of that.

AND FIRE EVERY GUN AT C3, KICK C1 and whitworth kicks C3 go for a double kill. MURDER CITY.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mercenarynuker posted:

I believe a little BTO is appropriate for right now.

"You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

well, if someone could post a picture of a REDACTED pilot outside the REDACTED. I think they look moderately horrible enough.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
I could post the cross section but I'm lazy.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

The thing you need to realize is that that image gives you no sense of scale.
Also relevant is the kind of weapons mounted.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ignore all other targets as much as possible. Keep the heat on C2. You're not getting out of this alive unless you focus your fire.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Ignore all other targets as much as possible. Keep the heat on C2. You're not getting out of this alive unless you focus your fire.

IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE

you want melee range, you cannot melee range the hawk easily, right now as things stand you guys can kill 1-2 mechs if you do as my plan suggests. and focus fire on the 2 over there.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Comstar should give them their own callsign, then edit the codename out of the intel reports "leaked" to the successor states, leading to them being known as <REDACTED>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

Given that they're boarding party infantry and they were introduced in a fight in space, I suggest Space Marines. :downs:

(A vote for Zaodai is a vote for confusion amongst the ranks!)

• Locked thread