Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ingram posted:

Anyone here modded on a Crows nest to the IF or any other lego ship before? I was designing one in LDD just then and got one half decent but the colours I wanted don't seem to be available :(

EDIT:

Not sure on colour, I want black railings, but the floor to be the same colour as the mast but that doesn't exist :(

I made one for the Imperial Flagship.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=64951

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Update on the F22 Raptor:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

AstroZamboni posted:

Update on the F22 Raptor:

Very nice.

TRU is having a sale for Memorial Day, pretty sure it's still on tomorrow: B1G1 1/2 off Pharaoh's Quest, Toy Story and some others, and at least at the one near Ft Wayne, Cursed Cobra Statue is $22.50 instead of $30 plus also eligible for the half off sale apparently.

ALSO: games 25% off, and they had Heroica.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

For anyone in melbourne at least, target is selling World racers Blizzard's Peak for 40 bucks and Desert of Destruction for 79 bucks

Seems a pretty good bargain, considering (as a comparison) the space shuttle is going for 49 bucks on its own.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Mephiston posted:

Seems a pretty good bargain, considering (as a comparison) the space shuttle is going for 49 bucks on its own.

Sorry but which space shuttle are you talking about?

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Ingram posted:

Sorry but which space shuttle are you talking about?

this one. It was linked earlier in the thread by InfinEight. Its the one with the moulded cockpit.

Suffices to say The blizzard's peak set is pretty cheap for the amount of stuff you get (its like 3 vehicles and some minifigs).

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Well this is the last thing I ever thought I'd see in mech form.

(click for source)

CayTeo
Oct 14, 2004

I don't want to set the world on fire

Saint Sputnik posted:

(click for source)

I would love to get to work right now ripping this thing off, but I know that I don't have any of those little T-joints it's using in the shoulders and elbows. I'm sure I can improvise something, but where do those T-joints come from, anyhow? I think the only sets I've seen them with was when I looked up the old Vikings on peeron.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
looks to me to be some of the pneumatic T's shoved into various bricks like recessed headlight buckets, at least for part of the shoulder setup.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4696b > the T's
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4070 > headlights

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

CayTeo posted:

I would love to get to work right now ripping this thing off, but I know that I don't have any of those little T-joints it's using in the shoulders and elbows. I'm sure I can improvise something, but where do those T-joints come from, anyhow? I think the only sets I've seen them with was when I looked up the old Vikings on peeron.

a lot of the star wars ep 2 and 3 sets came with them. Here's the part on Bricklink, and there's a link on the right to show you what sets they came in, if you're interested.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Those T-pieces are extremely useful, so I'd def recommend ordering some off bricklink.

I've been working on a new cockpit for my RAY. I like the old one, which is this:

But I also hate it because it's not pointy enough, and it's too big. Trying to work out the scale based on this made it feel like RAY would be twice as tall as REX. The way the mandibles are mounted is also not ideal. So while it's still intact, I went and made another cockpit:

Its a lot more narrow and not as functional inside, but it still holds a minifig. Hopefully now it'll all scale together better.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I got the Fire Brigade today. :toot:

Although I think I need to finish off Tower Bridge before I can justify cracking it open.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Saint Sputnik posted:

(click for source)

I have no idea how people build stuff like this. It's a total mystery to me.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I have no idea how people build stuff like this. It's a total mystery to me.

I browse Flickr all the time to check out people's MOCs and some are bloody insane, puts me to shame. If anything it's made me go out and buy more, and start buying sets I'd normally overlook just because they have unique pieces.

Here's what I've been working on, by the way, a blog for little vignettes of stuff my girlfriend and I do together. More an exercise in improving my building and photography technique than a showcase of any talent per se, as well as a way to get her to see my hobby as more than clutter all over the dinner table.

In great deal news, I saw last night Target is selling the Prince of Persia set Quest Against Time, the one with the light-up brick, for $25 online. I'm pretty tempted to buy a second one at that price. And I'm about to pick up another copy of Monster 4 for $5 at a local Walmart, if anyone wants to make an offer on some of the sweet heads.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...

Joudas posted:

The queen annes revenge is freaking amazing. I'm only on bag 3, already. The first bag alone looked like what you'd get for an entire set. It uses a lot of individual studs and regular bricks, it's really awesome. I expected more "cheat" blocks but it's all pretty much classic stuff so far.

I'm considering buying that, but I really can't decide. Blackbeard is my favorite historical pirate, but I have to see the film itself. ( I rarely go to theaters anymore because people don't know how to behave)

Now, what I REALLY want is the Flying Dutchman with Davy Jones (and some more crew members) and the while the Megabloks one looks pretty close to the film's version, the problem with Megabloks are that they don't stay together NEARLY as well as legos do.

(I had the megabloks dutchman, and the masts kept loving falling over from nothing other than being cheap plastic that I eventually gave up and sold it on eBay. )

Also, the megabloks minifigure representations of Davy Jones and his crew looked like poo poo.

The other problem with Megabloks is that they're just not as fun to put together (especially with legos, you can make something else if you want to, whereas the Megabloks version can and will ONLY make the Flying Dutchman)

But... I have my doubts that the Flying Dutchman will get a release anytime soon, if at all. I mean, those movies are over. I guess the video game might make the set relevant but I dunno. Also, the fact that Megabloks already released the ship might make Lego consider holding off or not releasing their own. Or does Lego not give a gently caress about Megabloks?

So yeah, anyone who's got the Queen Anne's Revenge, would you say it's a worthwhile piece for what it costs?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you're on the fence do what I did and buy the fountain of life, you get Blackbeard with that and it's only like $20. Blackbeard is an awesome minifig by the way.

For content, this is crossposted from Let's Play if any of you are following the absolutely amazing Deadly Premonition LP over there, I made these for it:

Travis343 posted:

Do you remember when we used to play with Legos, Zach?

I think my favorite line was Blacktron. It was the space theme in the mid-80s, and it was when the space lines really came into their own, don’t you agree, Zach?

I think they're here, Zach.

We’re supposed to look at Anna Graham’s file at the sherrif’s office. But if there’s something here you want to check out, that’s fine with me.

I did have to sculpt his hair, couldn't get the distinctive scar otherwise, and the guitar and gun are BrickForge.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN
This is kind of off topic, but does anyone know why the Othello reference is still in the thread title? It's been that way for a couple months, & I thought someone was changing these every week at one point.

On topic, the new POTC sets are pretty great. Why did it take LEGO so long to design a water bucket or wine bottle?

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Lord Gold posted:

This is kind of off topic, but does anyone know why the Othello reference is still in the thread title?

The mod who was doing it got bored and wandered off, as happens.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Change it back to Stickle Bricks.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Tyco and K'Nex: Partnership to Build a Better Sorta Lego

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

InfinEight posted:

Tyco and K'Nex: Partnership to Build a Better Sorta Lego

Another Tyco Super Blocks Adventure!

Does anyone remember that commercial, pretty sure it was Tyco, where some Lego guys were in a submarine spying on all the awesome Tyco poo poo and they turned tail and ran because, as they said themselves in (mind bogglingly) stereotypically Russian accents, "They have Tyco; we have Lego"?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

To be fair, the Tyco superblocks were almost on par with LEGO in terms of quality. Easily the best of the knockoff bricks to ever hit the market.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Megablox Megathread.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

To be fair, the Tyco superblocks were almost on par with LEGO in terms of quality. Easily the best of the knockoff bricks to ever hit the market.

This is true, I still had some pieces not too long ago and the plastic felt very similar to Lego. I even remember this one hinge piece that had a metal pin inside for extra strength. The biggest drawback was that the 'plates' were half the height of a normal brick, making them stand out even more against Lego pieces.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Like I said the other day, I got an extra Hazmat guy while going for a Musketeer. Trade, anyone?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Well I built this little guy from the army man Jeep and mini scale X-Wing sitting on my desk because I was bored at work.

My goal was to use up all the pieces, but I was left with the wheels, steering wheel and 2-3 other tiny pieces.

Mission accomplished I would say.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

CADPAT posted:

Well I built this little guy from the army man Jeep and mini scale X-Wing sitting on my desk because I was bored at work.

My goal was to use up all the pieces, but I was left with the wheels, steering wheel and 2-3 other tiny pieces.

Mission accomplished I would say.

It's got a kind of space-Skyraider thing going for it. Fun!

Sair
May 11, 2007

Not Lego, but has anyone seen nanoblock? Looks like lego, but seriously really tiny. Maybe half the size or less?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Sair posted:

Not Lego, but has anyone seen nanoblock? Looks like lego, but seriously really tiny. Maybe half the size or less?

I saw 'em when I was at the Tacoma TRU a couple weeks ago. Very tiny, and expensive for their size. The Taj Mahal has 420+ pieces, and while at $15 is barely a third of what Lego costs per piece, it's on a base 8cm x 8cm and is a total of 7cm tall (about 10x10 studs by 7 bricks tall in Lego terms).

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Found this for more nanoblock information:

http://thelivingbrick.blogspot.com/2010/01/nanoblock-review-in-many-small-parts.html

Looks interesting since it is really small scale but the bottom of the brick is not as "clutchy" as Lego bricks. They seem to be a bit lower in quality which explains the inexpensiveness.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

They look like they'd drive me insane with how tiny they are.

I finally got Flying Mummy Attack and I've been trying to raise the top wing of the biplane so the guy can actually see, but can't figure out how to fit Technic pieces in as struts since I don't like how the window style pieces it came with look. Meantime I found this to ogle:

(source)

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Travis343 posted:

For content, this is crossposted from Let's Play if any of you are following the absolutely amazing Deadly Premonition LP over there, I made these for it:

I did have to sculpt his hair, couldn't get the distinctive scar otherwise, and the guitar and gun are BrickForge.

Those are really awesome and now I totally want to make a whole set of Deadly Premonition Minifigs.

I don't have any pics but recently I got a bunch of sets on sale at my work. They are the Imperial V-Wing Starfight, the Jedi T-6 Shuttle, the Rescue Robot Creator set, and the Jagged Jaws Reef World Racer set. Also some of the smaller Pharoah ones a couple weeks back. I wish the sets like Star Wars and stuff weren't marked up so much, though.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Incredibly well done take on the Sand Crawler, for those of you that don't follow any Lego blogs. :D

(source)

(are these images too big?)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

King Faraday posted:

(are these images too big?)

Not big enough!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Musta taken awhile to get all that brown together, that's seriously awesome.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Many Log Cabins gave their lives for this diorama.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

Meantime I found this to ogle:

(source)

That is so beyond awesome. It's one of the most cleverly artistic LEGO models I've seen in a long time.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Evek posted:

Found this for more nanoblock information:

http://thelivingbrick.blogspot.com/2010/01/nanoblock-review-in-many-small-parts.html

Looks interesting since it is really small scale but the bottom of the brick is not as "clutchy" as Lego bricks. They seem to be a bit lower in quality which explains the inexpensiveness.

They seem to fall apart very easily. I swear I never had as much trouble with LEGO falling apart if you looked at it wrong. Maybe that's just the two ones I've seen, a guitar and a giraffe which both have some obvious structural weak points.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Not big enough!

That's why it felt wrong to shrink them, that's as big as they come too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sair
May 11, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

They seem to fall apart very easily. I swear I never had as much trouble with LEGO falling apart if you looked at it wrong. Maybe that's just the two ones I've seen, a guitar and a giraffe which both have some obvious structural weak points.

You're definitely right, there isn't much to the clutch mechanism on these.