Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Spent memorial day in Central Park. Here's a shot of my friend Jim, which is my favorite of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009
Most of the people I hang out with are hippie musicians who prefer tube amps for their instruments and have extensive vinyl collections, so they think it's super-rad that I'm shooting in an "analog" format anyway.

If someone approaches me on the street, I explain that my gear used to be my grandpa's and my FM2 was the same camera he used to take my baby pictures. The story is enough to melt any hater's heart and turn them all :3:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My dad sold his SRT 100x before I could buy it off of him. Then he died. The end.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Then he died. The end.

Remind me never to wrong you... :stare:

Bodega
Feb 4, 2009
I'm thinking about upgrading from my K1000 to the Canon F-1 being sold here:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/pho/2412475528.html

I emailed the guy and he wants $250 for the body and all of the lenses and accessories. None of the lenses seem incredible, but the body seems to be in nice shape and it comes with a Canon Power Winder F and the Speed Finder.

Should I go for it? Anything I should be looking for other than making sure everything seems clean and functional?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I wouldn't bother. If you want to upgrade to something with a coupled meter, get another Pentax body like an ME Super or something. They're dirt cheap, plentiful and excellent.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

8th-samurai posted:

Awesome stuff

:argh: Everyone on CL around here thinks "accepting reasonable offers" means "you pay what I paid when I bought it, plus inflation."

Some lady in North NJ was selling off her darkroom stuff to set up a photography non-profit, and thought her half-empty jugs of developer were worth %75 of the paying price. Her $30 SS dev tank with reels is $30, because she never used it :rolleyes:

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
I have a couple of quick questions about using film. I am just about to receive my first film SLR (Pentax PZ-70). I plan on shooting both black and white and also colour.
After reading through this thread, I have seen that Tri-X is the way to go for B+W. Do people have any suggestions for what film to use for color, or will any old roll do?
Around where I live, there is one local camera shop, and at least two retailers that I know of that do photo processing. Are there any particular places that I should definitely steer clear of when getting my film developed?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Man_alive posted:

After reading through this thread, I have seen that Tri-X is the way to go for B+W. Do people have any suggestions for what film to use for color, or will any old roll do?

With color film, what you're shooting has a lot to do with which film to use. So what are you planning on shooting?

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

Man_alive posted:

The new Portra 400 is pretty good. It's fine grained with a lot of exposure leniency .

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Bodega posted:

Should I go for it? Anything I should be looking for other than making sure everything seems clean and functional?

Don't bother, you can get an A1 or AE1 for about $50-75 on ebay with a 50mm 1.8 (or if you are lucky a 1.4) and FD mount lenses are cheap, to the point it's not worth going for anything other than the canon branded stuff. I have an A1 and 50mm 1.4, 28mm 2.8 and 135mm 3.5 and spent about $150 on the whole deal (bought separately).

Watch out for squeaky canon shutters though, but they are easily fixed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fiannaiocht posted:

The new Portra 400 is pretty good. It's fine grained with a lot of exposure leniency .

Basically this. From what I've read, Portra 400 should basically be your go-to high-speed film at this point. It's got excellent latitude, is designed for a digital workflow/scanning, and can be PP'd either high contrast or low contrast. It even looks pretty good up to 1600. I don't shoot a lot of high speed color but when I finish my last couple rolls of 400NC it's going to be Portra 400 from here on out.

For 100 speed film, I really like Reala. Other people like Ektar or slide films (Fuji is king here).

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
Bodega - I just loaded up some Reala 100, so I'll let you know how it turns out, going to be doing some general outdoor/landscape shooting.

Also, shot the last half of the roll that was in the SRT102 when I got it...turns out it's Ektachrome 100, lord knows how long it's been in there. Years, the question is how many. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

HPL posted:

With color film, what you're shooting has a lot to do with which film to use. So what are you planning on shooting?

I'm not too sure what I want to do just yet. I suspect I will be leaning more towards portraiture work than anything else with what I shoot on film.

Fiannaiocht posted:

Paul MaudDib posted:

Basically this. From what I've read, Portra 400 should basically be your go-to high-speed film at this point. It's got excellent latitude, is designed for a digital workflow/scanning, and can be PP'd either high contrast or low contrast. It even looks pretty good up to 1600. I don't shoot a lot of high speed color but when I finish my last couple rolls of 400NC it's going to be Portra 400 from here on out.

For 100 speed film, I really like Reala. Other people like Ektar or slide films (Fuji is king here).

Thanks for this. I will look into the Portra and see how I go from there.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Man_alive posted:

I'm not too sure what I want to do just yet. I suspect I will be leaning more towards portraiture work than anything else with what I shoot on film.

Reala or Fuji 160S would be great for that. You don't normally want crazy colors for portraits. I think Reala has been discontinued or something because it's a lot harder to find nowadays but 160S is almost the same thing.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

slide: velvia
negative: portra 160NC
bw: acros

is the bulk of what I use

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
How susceptible to moisture and liquid is undeveloped film? What happens if a camera gets a little wet?
What about temperature extremes? max cold/hot?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
if it's 35mm, I've heard that if you drop your camera in the water, you can just put the film in a canister full of water quickly and tell the lab

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm sort of out of film temporarily, but I have a friend who is into it, and wants to do some printing. She sent me a question about a vague offer someone posted on a mailing list she's on:

"I have an entire darkroom available. Enlarger (color head filter pack) for both color and black and white printing. All the trays, grain focusers, sink, easels, beakers, film canisters, chemicals, extra lenses for printing 35mm or 21/4 negs etc…. everything you need to have a full working darkroom. Everything is in good working condition. $800 obo"

quoted verbatim. It is INCREDIBLY vague and I am going to tell her to ask for a lot more detail, but that price can't be right, can it? Is there some kind of gold standard for darkroom equipment that could legitimately cost eight hundred dollars? I've seen darkroom printing setups on craigslist for a fraction of that price, but then again they could be crap equipment.

So I guess my question is less about that PARTICULAR setup and more about whether there is any kind of setup that would legitimately cost eight hundred dollars.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
First roll of film on a new camera, got it developed by a small local lab, need a little help troubleshooting what's going on in the bottom left.

Is it some kind of light leak or is it something from the developing process?

It was only on 2 or 3 shots out of 12, always in the same position/pattern.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

Martytoof posted:

So I guess my question is less about that PARTICULAR setup and more about whether there is any kind of setup that would legitimately cost eight hundred dollars.

You could easily spend that setting up a darkroom from retail. Good easels are multiple hundreds new and aren't exactly cheap used either. Also the convience of someone else picking up all the accoutrement the darkroom is nice because you don't need to nickle and dime yourself buying stuff like tongs ect.

That said there is enough stuff for darkroom out there on the cheap I would not feel bad about negotiating that price a bit lower.

Anyone around here have any experience with pyro/staining developers?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I see complete 4x5 and color-capable darkroom setups with *very* nice stuff in the $200-300 range on Craigslist all the time. That said, there are some things that can get pricey - big easels (like 11x14 or 16x20), modern APO lenses, cold light heads - things like that. My guess is that the seller just hasn't bothered to check to see what these sorts of things normally sell for.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Martytoof posted:

Yes. A variable-contrast cold light system enlarger could easily cost that. Basically, it's a cold light with a computer attached. Once you find your proper exposure you just focus, input the setting, and hit go.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Pushed 35mm Tri-x to 3200 last night at a concert in Central Park last night. These are just quick scans off the first couple of rolls. I am hoping I can do more with them in the darkroom, but these show some promise.

Oh and FYI - HC110 Dilution B 30 mins, 6 initial inversions then 2 every 5 mins.

mysticp fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 1, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the info on the darkroom equipment. I had no idea it could get that pricey, though I'm not sure why I expected that to be true.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the info on the darkroom equipment. I had no idea it could get that pricey, though I'm not sure why I expected that to be true.
It's not always. I have an omega c700 color enlarger, 11x14 sanders easel, peak focuser, trays, tongs, washer, chemicals and spent less than $150 on the whole deal. The most expensive stuff in my bathroom darkroom is the paper. Just keep an eye on craigslist and look for any photo studio businesses that are closing down. Even ebay is okay for an enlarger if they don't go crazy on the shipping.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Martytoof posted:

I'm sort of out of film temporarily, but I have a friend who is into it, and wants to do some printing. She sent me a question about a vague offer someone posted on a mailing list she's on:

Your friend lives within five miles of me. We're on the same local mailing list.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

As far as darkroom stuff, I got an enlarger, easel, grain focuser, trays, tongs, daylight tank with thermometer, safelight bulbs, plus about $80 worth of paper all for $50. Still haven't used it because I don't have a room I can print in with running water, but a good deal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Your friend lives within five miles of me. We're on the same local mailing list.

It's a small world :3:

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Got back a roll of Ilford Delta 400 today. I've been slowly teaching myself more about film and experimenting with different brands, but I'm in love with this stuff. I shot a concert in someone's living room the other night, where there were only maybe 1 or 2 dim lights and the photos came out quite nice.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
What do you do about keeping partially used film in your cameras while they sit around in a hot apartment or house? All of the other rolls I have shot but not yet developed get packaged and sealed and go into my freezer. But I don't know what to do with the partially used rolls in my film backs. I won't be able to pick up the camera again until the weekend. In the meantime, it's close to 100 degrees outside and it's warming my apartment up to over 80 degrees while I'm at work. Is this pretty much fine and nothing to worry about, or should I be taking better precautions here?

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I was fooling around with the zone system for a few days on the weekend with Portra 160NC film that had been in my room for months. My room almost never gets below 70 and reaches 80 quite often, it came out fine. Pretty sure I left slide and other films in a scorching car after exposing it too, don't remember problems with that either.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the equipment info. I told my friend to just ask what the kit actually contains in some significant amount of detail so I can help her come up with a realistic counteroffer to eight hundred dollars, if that's even warranted. I'm sure I'll be back in here asking your guys' opinion :3:

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Mannequin posted:

What do you do about keeping partially used film in your cameras while they sit around in a hot apartment or house?

I wouldn't worry about it, the only time I have ever had problems with film fogging because of heat was 100+ Georgia summers and leaving film in direct sun in a car. Even then, about half the time I did something stupid like that the film was fine. Once I left two bricks worth of slide film sitting in my car for a few days while I was moving in July and it was still good.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Oh god, it's happening. I'm buying more film cameras.

I bought a clean looking AE-1 yesterday. Came with the 50/1.8, 100-200/5.6, 188 Speedlite.

I think the 50mm is unable to stop down. Actually on both lenses the DOF preview doesn't seem to be working. But when I open the back, set the shutter to B and the aperture down to 22, can see that the 100-200 is stopping down. But the 50mm is staying wide open no matter what setting I put it on.

Should I just throw it in the trash? Actually, I'd rather just stick to shooting my Pentax MX to be honest (even though the AE-1 shutter sounds incredible!!), but I'm scared to even try and sell the AE-1 without a working 50mm attached too it.

Good thing I only paid $20 for everything.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Mightaswell posted:

Oh god, it's happening. I'm buying more film cameras.

It only becomes a problem when people recognise you as the guy with film cameras and just start giving them to you. I'm surely at well over 50 now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Guys guys. I just bought a FED 3! The shots I've seen I liked and it's a beautiful looking thing.
What film should I buy and use?! I'm so excited.
Is there a thread for talking about 35mm range finders?
STOKED.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

Should I just throw it in the trash? Actually, I'd rather just stick to shooting my Pentax MX to be honest (even though the AE-1 shutter sounds incredible!!), but I'm scared to even try and sell the AE-1 without a working 50mm attached too it

Your MX is M42 mount right? I'll trade you a 50/1.4 and 135/2.8 for the AE-1 body.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

brad industry posted:

Your MX is M42 mount right? I'll trade you a 50/1.4 and 135/2.8 for the AE-1 body.

No it's K mount, but M42 adapters are plentiful. Is the 135mm a takumar? Let me do some quick research about how metering works on screwmount lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The 50 is a Super Takumar, 135 is a Vivitar I inherited from someone. I've got a M42 2X teleconverter too.

I have a Spotmatic with a busted meter and this poo poo is just collecting dust in my studio. I know the K mount was designed to be backwards compatible with M42 so they should work. Let me know because I have some FD lenses somewhere but no body to put them on :).

edit: and if anyone wants this Spotmatic you can have it for the cost of shipping. Works fine but I think the meter may be gone (or maybe I'm just not using the right battery).

brad industry fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 2, 2011